~!~

Usefulness of "Kill"

Haven't used it yet. Might try some zombifying this year...who knows.

i use the kill, for several reasons

- purge my scroll of Inbreds

- Zombies (i have 2 gendered hatchie, so i need an adult and ungendered *nods*)

- false lineaged tinsels & metallics. i'm against tombstone lineages and have killed off the Tinsels i have on my scroll because of this.

I often kill the offspring of my dragons, if they turn out to be not what I want. For example, if I want a red nebula, I influence the egg accordingly, but I'll kill the hatchie if the color is not the proper one. The same applies for ridgewings or tinselfails or tinsels with messy lineage, geode (or not geode, depending on what I want), goldfish and bluna.

The point is, I don't want the "wrong" offspring to be in my dragon's list of children. If I wouldn't care about that, I would abandon or release these dragons. But I care. A lot.

I have no problem with killing dragons, they are pixels, no living creatures. Never understood the fuss about that. blink.gif

Edited by kunigund

i use the kill, for several reasons

- purge my scroll of Inbreds

- Zombies (i have 2 gendered hatchie, so i need an adult and ungendered *nods*)

- false lineaged tinsels & metallics. i'm against tombstone lineages and have killed off the Tinsels i have on my scroll because of this.

There is also a "Release" option, which releases the dragon into the wild and removes its name without killing it. This has the added advantage that you don't have tombstones on your scroll.

I use the "kill" action infrequently, but I would be disappointed if it were removed.

I intend to work on my zombie family every Halloween, plus I have been amassing false-gen tinsels for various projects, including the rosegrave lineage. (None of my killed tinsels have offspring not on my scroll; one of my zombies does - the offspring was traded away under the expectation that hopefully its parent would become a zombie.

why release Inbreds to the wild when i can use them for Zombie Fodder? i'd rather kill an inbred that i know is gonna give me no trade value than a non-inbred that could one day be a high value breeder.

i don't mind tombstones on my scroll, it's just when their in lineages that it bothers me because it alters what gen the egg is and you can't check if the egg is inbred xd.png

I've killed for zombies and that's it.

Bringing up an old topic, but I think that's ok...?

However... even though this is a game, I'm pretty disgusted by the "kill" option.

There are better ways to "dispose" (I hate to even write it) of eggs/hatchlings/dragons.

Just releasing them, giving them to another person or to the AP, trading...

"To keep the lineage pure" (or similar) isn't a sufficient reason for me.

I literally have tears in my eyes whenever I think of killing something on DC, and of the tombstones...

And I, personally, won't use it ever. Not even for creating Zombie dragons.

I killed one of my dragons years ago, out of curiosity, and was devastated by the flavor text. Now, I'm fine with killing. I use the option occasionally.

I Earthquake once in a while, Bite, infrequently neglect, and zombify, which can all result in dead dragons.

Usually I release dragons I don't want, but I kill misbred eggs, and occasionally adults for miscellaneous reasons. I'm a huge fan of deadline lineages, and there are a couple dragons I plan to kill for that purpose, but I usually avoid killing adults.

It's up to each user to decide what to do with the dragons on their scroll, though.

I use the kill option at least five times a year, around Halloween. I'm still trying to build my small army of Zombies, as would like another two adults and four of each hatchling. That'll be a slow process.

In regards to eggs, I'm more likely to use the bite BSA on them and kill them that way than the kill function. I don't force eggs and unless I accidentally inbreed or misbreed something, bite has far more uses for me than kill. I could add to my Vampire collection through bite, after all.

I have killed dragons for reasons other than turning them into Zombies, such as culling the offspring list of dragons existing on my scroll. Back in the day I used to breed my lot regularly, and kept some of the offspring. Rather than release duplicate siblings, killing them cleans up the lines without leaving a bunch of unnamed offspring in the progeny list.

I don't kill gifts or eggs I've traded for, defeats the purpose in regards to the trade and isn't all that grateful of me in regards to gifts. I don't mind if others kill gifts I give to them, though I would appreciate an "Is this okay?" message first. To each their own. :]

I once used it on a tinsel hatchie that was stubborn about hatching even though it had been in multiple ER's for several hours. It hatched fine smile.gif

I use it regularly on my ND attempts. I never got a successful turn with enough time to hatch it regularly, and I don't bounce them, so forcing them to hatch with the kill action is how I get an alive hatchie instead of a dead egg. Works fine most of the time - in my experience, the fail chance for severe ER eggs is fairly low, about 1 in 10.

I also used it a couple of times for zombie fodder and to create deadlines from inbred dragons.

I kill pretty infrequently, but by no means am I "disgusted" by it and think using the word kill is just fine. Several dragon descriptions even bring up death and violence, and this game does seem to have some weird sort of 'nature' theme.

I usually kill around Halloween in the hopes of snagging a zombie, though I've missed out on a good few Halloweens in the past, so much of my scroll is taken up by the holiday dragons rather than zombie fodder.

Though I've been tempted to kill eggs when I get unwanted breeds and colors, and I have done so before, I just rarely do it. Mostly so I can continue to get/give help in trading threads.

[...] I kill eggs that are inbred, because they aren't

born, but when they become a hatchling before I realize, I freeze them. [...]

Hmm... I can - sort of - agree with eggs being killed. Because technically they aren't alive yet, as you implied.

However, I still think it's better to gift an egg or bring it to the AP instead of using the "Kill" option, even if it's an inbred one.

For instance, I don't mind inbred eggs or hatchlings. I'll gladly adopt them, if someone wants to

get rid of them. To me, a dragon is a dragon, no matter the circumstances.

[...] Several dragon descriptions even bring up death and violence, and this game does seem to have some weird sort of 'nature' theme. [...]

I can't think of the name of a breed right now, but I know you're right about the descriptions.

I've read some of them, too. But the difference is that this is the dragons' nature. They are

as they are, also in order to survive and attract potential mates.

We, who are technically their "owners", act out of totally other reasons. It's not "natural" to kill

a dragon intentionally. We act out of luxury, greed (for "pure" or "pretty" lineages for example), ...

We don't act in the other creature's best interest.

Of course, to each their own. I don't mean to tell anyone what they can or can't do. I'm just

saying I don't agree with it (and try to give reason why) because it's ethically wrong.

Edited by BiaNoYami

Hmm... I can - sort of - agree with eggs being killed. Because technically they aren't alive yet, as you implied.

However, I still think it's better to gift an egg or bring it to the AP instead of using the "Kill" option, even if it's an inbred one.

For instance, I don't mind inbred eggs or hatchlings. I'll gladly adopt them, if someone wants to

get rid of them. To me, a dragon is a dragon, no matter the circumstances.

I just want to throw in my two-cents about this, but if I accidentally bred an inbred egg, I wouldn't want my dragons to be involved in that lineage at all and would still go ahead and get rid of any inbreds I come across otherwise. Usually through releasing them into the wild rather than killing, but like I said that's more to keep myself in good standing with Trade threads.

The way I see it, if I allow them to stay in the breeding pool, they're going to potentially create more inbred eggs that are going to clog up the AP even moreso than it already is.

That, and I've got some full-grown messy lineaged dragons I plan on killing this Halloween for zombies, now that I've remembered they exist.

Edited by Chuint

I have no problem with inbred dragons; I don't care, and unless I specifically want them to breed for trades, I'll take inbreds of anything and be fine with them. and I have a zombie dragon... so I have no use for the kill option.

I don't like killing my dragons. The only time I do is for Halloween when I can have a chance of turning them into Zombies. Other than that I only release them if I no longer want them on my scroll.

And even then, only the messy or inbred dragons on my scroll end up on the zombie list anyway.

Edited by Syiren

I've only ever used it to get zombie dragons.

And even then I hate it.

The message is just too sad.

I don't even like releasing dragons. I keep all my babies.

I don't kill anything. Inbred lines can be nice, deadlines can be nice, and stairs are fairly popular too. Just because I might not value them very highly doesn't mean that they don't have a fanbase who will love and appreciate them for their lineage, not in spite of it. There are even a few people carefully breeding messies because that's what they enjoy. I'm not going to kill a dragon someone else bred just because I dislike the lineage.

Personally, I am just fine with killing. They're just pixels, after all. I just see the kill page flavor text as a way to further discourage people from just going on a random killing spree, as if only having five kill spots isn't discouraging enough.

That being said, I don't usually do it. I don't see the point. The only reason I'll kill is to try and get a Zombie, or if I bite an egg with one of my Vampires and it dies. I only have one Zombie atm and only have plans to do this to CB commons, because I want all the different types of tombstones. But sometimes I see those horribly long lineages and terribly inbred dragons and I have the urge to do this, because it kind of bothers me to see people breeding their dragons so carelessly. I never do, but sometimes I'll freeze the hatchlings.

I wouldn't have condoned killing when I first started in the Cave, but got my first Vampire in January of 2011, and my first Zombies are from Halloween, 2011.

The Cave has corrupted me! xd.png

I don't see any problem with killing. As silver_chan said they're just pixels tongue.gif

I kind of agree with Whammerist, but I don't kill eggs. I'll probably get more aggressive at freezing inbreds once I get to my own frozen hatchie goal, but it will of course just be the ones I pull out of the AP and don't toss back. So if people want to keep the inbred and messy dragons on their own scroll, obviously that's fine. They can do what they want on their scroll and I will do as I like on mine.