Akiresa

an extra art piece near the grown up sprite

I dunno. I personally dislike the idea of having -some- dragons have extra art in the Encyclopedia but not others. If it's going to be done it should be all or nothing. It's not the same with the notes because the species without notes are expected to get them someday.

I just think this is a concept better suited to another site, if it's done at all, and like I said in my original reply, I don't think this idea was a terribly good one even for Magistream.

Edited by Lurhstaap

Can I chime in that only the seemingly early sprites of Magistream seem to have this sprite with larger concept art thing? Anything else after a certain point stopped having this and I can assume due to the amount of work and time it took up and the hassle it was. Its one of those it seemed like a good idea at the start but when you start to have hundreds upon hundreds of sprites it gets real old and tiring, real fast.

With that said I dont see why spriter's and concept creators would be opposed to certain breeds not having this nice concept art on the side (and by that I mean encyclopedia) when really it will be a larger scale visual of what their work is. If this where to be done then it would be nice if it was done on old scroll paper style backgrounds so as to match the theme of the site.

All in all it is not really necessary and I highly doubt many of us will loose any sleep should this not be implemented but it would be kind of neat to have many official versionsin larger scale of what out 100 x 100 pixel dragons look like.

I dunno. I personally dislike the idea of having -some- dragons have extra art in the Encyclopedia but not others. If it's going to be done it should be all or nothing. It's not the same with the notes because the species without notes are expected to get them someday.

I just think this is a concept better suited to another site, if it's done at all, and like I said in my original reply, I don't think this idea was a terribly good one even for Magistream.

By that logic we shouldn't even have the encyclopedia in the first place.

Many conceptors and artists have already created large-scale drawings of their dragons. I see no reason why these can't be included in the site. It'd be a nice tribute to their hard work.

Here are the existing larger images drawn by conceptors/artists that I found:

Radiant Angel, Glaucus Drake, Falconiform, Desipis, Solstice.

There are also many beautiful interpretations of dragons on dA and the Original Media section of the forum (e.g. Hellhorse, Neb, Shim/mer, Turp, Vamp/ire, Stripe, Lumina, Sweetling).

IMO it should be done with DR requests or submitted privately by the artist if something like this is implemented. To be clear, I don't think existing fanart should be used in-cave. I'm just using these pieces as examples to show that DC users, as well as artists, are capable of creating site-worthy pieces. In-cave artists would not have to be the only force behind this, though they could be if they wanted to; it comes down to individual preference. I do think the original artists should have the final say.

I personally can't see a drawback to this, and I'm always eager to get more information and images about our draggies. Something like this should by no means be required of dragon species, but it'd be cool to see in-cave additional drawings of dragons. As long as everyone knows it's not an obligation, it's purely optional, and artists get full control over what makes it, I think this— if handled well— could be a nice addition to the cave.

Besides--come holidays we can see new drawings of in-cave holiday dragons on certain events. Wouldn't it be cool to see that for more breeds? There's also additional images of dragons available in the DC Store. I think the function of this would be similar, and the enjoyability greater.

I didnt put in thought that far but i do agree with ab613 ^^ originally i thought it would look awesome if u get to see more details on the dragons as sprites are small and can be hard to see their true beauty ^^ But i trully think this would make encyclopedia even better ^^

Magistream can't copyright the idea of putting artwork on a page (?)

No, I suppose they technically couldn't.

That said... somethign that was too close a copy of what they did might STILL lead to issues.

By that logic we shouldn't even have the encyclopedia in the first place.

Pardon ?

As long as it's not on the main site and it doesn't slow anything down, I don't care. I don't want to have to see drawings on the dragon page itself. The encyclopedia would be a place for that: people look in the encyclopedia for the pictures and extra information and people who don't care about that would never see it.

No, I suppose they technically couldn't.

That said... somethign that was too close a copy of what they did might STILL lead to issues.

I've noticed people on DC grossly overestimate what copyrighting and all that actually do.

The encyclopedia would be the perfect place for this idea if it ever comes to pass, it would add an extra feature to make it more interesting and would give users a reason to perhaps visit it more often. But I wouldn't want a more detailed picture on my dragon page, because I feel it would distract from the sprite.

Also, I don't see any issues with copyright here, it's not as if this design is unique, I've seen it in many games. :3

Edited by stagazer_7

With this it should be then eather made contests by the sprite authors for it or made drawings by them themself after all they did put into sprites hard work so they have really final say here if TJ accepts the idea

Pardon ?

Probably because not all the breeds even have information, so why should they all need art?

Anyway, I know this has come up several times in the past (having extra art) and always received a fair amount of support. Artists often release extra art with their own releases, and I do think that would be nice to integrate into the site. The encyclopedia works for me.

All around, I really don't care either way. It's just another of those frivolous cosmetic things that some people want. It probably wouldn't make too much of a difference to the gameplay, so all in all, it's not really a big deal. *shrug*

Edited by shadowfighter

To a very certain extent I support this idea. That extent extends only to holiday or other rares. Simply becuase of the fact that they are special.

Why not get people more excited about commons? I personally would rather more commons get encyclopedia info/additions over working on just rares because, as you said, rares are already special. I love learning more about commons because they can have some really neat conceptual ideas. And since there are more commons, there is a ton of variety of information that can be expanded for all.

Tbh, if this were restricted just to rares and not to any dragons that artists provided art for, rare or not, I am not sure I would support this.

Why not get people more excited about commons? I personally would rather more commons get encyclopedia info/additions over working on just rares because, as you said, rares are already special. I love learning more about commons because they can have some really neat conceptual ideas. And since there are more commons, there is a ton of variety of information that can be expanded for all.

Tbh, if this were restricted just to rares and not to any dragons that artists provided art for, rare or not, I am not sure I would support this.

I admit, having art on some commons would be pretty cool, as a White Dragon hoarder, I would love more official art of them. But otherwise, the Silver Dragon hoarder in me wins. tongue.gif

Considering the dragons on the scroll are supposed to actually be drawings by the user, I think having extra art would be an excellent, and quite reasonable, idea. Especially if it's an extra unlockable achievement, or just something that unlocks once an encyclopedia entry is complete.

I'm fine with this happening with the encyclopedia, but only if it's not mandatory. As somebody who does not do digital painting, I am not comfortable with somebody who did not work on a concept of mine creating official on-site concept art of them. I'd be glad for any collaborators who do digital painting to make art (a la Desipis concept art), but I wouldn't want a third party creating said paintings to be used on-site, separate from events.

I'm all for extra art in the encyclopedia. It's hard to get tiny details into a sprite most of the time, so a full-sized digital image would be awesome to see.

To a very certain extent I support this idea. That extent extends only to holiday or other rares. Simply becuase of the fact that they are special.

I'd support it more if it were restricted to commons, actually. We always get to see extra holiday art... there are threads and threads about them - but I'd like to see STONE stuff, and MINT stuff more smile.gif

Only in the encyclopaedia though - NOT on the dragon pages.

ETA and @ Pie - and ONLY if it is art by the original artists or at VERY LEAST under their or the conceptor's supervision. NO FAN ART ! That would tell us nothing; anyone can have their own ideas there.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Personally, I would like it best if it was an option for either rares/holidays OR commons.

THAT way, the artists and conceptors of each dragon could decide fi it was a project they wanted to take on or not.

Edited by Silverswift

Personally, I would like it best if it was an option for either rares/holidays OR commons.

THAT way, the artists and conceptors of each dragon could decide fi it was a project they wanted to take on or not.

Oh sure - an optional thing for all - but if there HAD to be a choice - commons more than rares etc ! More of us have them. Amazing but true xd.png

If extra art was restricted to rares only, then I would not be supporting this idea, simply because to me all DC breeds are special, the only difference between them is that some are harder to catch.

Edited by stagazer_7

I don't feel the extra art should be restricted to only certain breeds. I think if the original conceptors and artists want art for their dragon(s), they should be allowed to make it and have it show up in the encyclopedia.

I'm fine with this happening with the encyclopedia, but only if it's not mandatory. As somebody who does not do digital painting, I am not comfortable with somebody who did not work on a concept of mine creating official on-site concept art of them. I'd be glad for any collaborators who do digital painting to make art (a la Desipis concept art), but I wouldn't want a third party creating said paintings to be used on-site, separate from events.

Would you mind if someone wanted to work with you to make the art? (like with a commission, back and forth messages, tons of thumbnails nothing that's not approved by you.)

I don't see why it can't be a case of 'make this awesome art, submit it to the conceptor/spriter for approval'. This takes a lot of pressure off the artists themselves, since all they'd have to do is say 'yes I love it!', 'It's not quite what I want, here's why, blah blah blah' or 'no I hate it'.

What would be ideal in my mind was if there was one person who draws all of them, for consistency, but I realize that's very unrealistic and would really overburden that one person. xd.png Plus, examples linked in this thread of concept art for the holidays do look really nice. So pick your poison.

Then again, also, being able to sprite =/= being able to draw, as weird as that sounds. They're completely different mediums, and while they do often overlap, well.