christmawolf

Accents

Not really lol. Just /most/ from what I have heard have sun sensitive skin or light colored skin, then really bright colored eyes.

Errr.... no. Have you been listening to the same people that say everyone from Ireland has red hair?

I'm from New Zealand (that's the two small islands near Australia for those bad at geography) and everybody from overseas (bar Aussies) swear we swap our vowels. BUT WE DON'T. WE DO NOT SAY 'FUSH AND CHUPS'! ) *ahem*

I like Irish and Italian accents. Some English too.

I have no real accent. I was raised in a wide variety of locations and so my English accent is 'flat' - you can't tell where I'm from. The best you can say is that I'm 'southern,' and even then that can be questionable as I am starting to use Northern phrases and sayings thanks to my g/f. I can, however, put on a strong Somerset accent as that is where my family is from, and once in a blue moon it comes out in a word.

My German, however, is definitely Southern.

I live in the southern mid-west (though riiiiiight on the border of the east coast, IMO); I suppose I have a bit of a Southern accent, but in my own ears, I just have a standard "American" accent. *shrugs* I've been told that I say some words with a distinct Southern accent, though I can't hear it myself, ha ha.

~Feathers

I have an English accent, I've spent most of my life in Surrey, so that's my main accent. not extremely posh or slangy. My dad's from London, but he doesn't speak like it. Some people from my school say I 'talk posh' but I don't, I'm just more 'well spoken' than they are. tongue.gif

I can pull of a passable Irish accent, not sure if it's North or South, but it makes my voice slightly higher than normal.

I can recognise a few basic American accents - New York/Texan etc. but I'm not that good at it. I'm not good at recognising regional accents from other countries.

I have the ever exciting North American-Midwest accent. The upside is that generally, my accent is one of the more understandable ones (or so I'm told).

My favorite accent is South American/Brazilian. I love the way it sounds and I can understand it the best out of all the "foreign" accents.

The accent I can understand the least, believe it or not, is an English accent (Scotland is fine). I dunno why xd.png

The most difficult accent I had to learn to be able to understand was a Vietnamese accent... I have a friend who was a foreign exchange student at my school last year, and finally by the end of the year, I could understand him flawlessly =P

I have no real accent. I was raised in a wide variety of locations and so my English accent is 'flat' - you can't tell where I'm from. The best you can say is that I'm 'southern,' and even then that can be questionable as I am starting to use Northern phrases and sayings thanks to my g/f. I can, however, put on a strong Somerset accent as that is where my family is from, and once in a blue moon it comes out in a word.

My German, however, is definitely Southern.

Then I'd probably have trouble with your German, Kestra. My German is a nice clear High German (or so I've been told).

My English is now a muted Canadian, but it gets stronger when I'm back in Canada. I've been 12 years in the Bahamas and cannot "do Bahamian" at all. However, when I'm in England I generally end up picking up the accent of the person I'm staying with (so I'll probably come back here with a mild Manchester accent that will fade after a couple of weeks).

Errr.... no. Have you been listening to the same people that say everyone from Ireland has red hair?

Haha is there even a special "british" type of eyes or skin?

Look, you don't have to be a total censorkip.gif* bag to her. It's just the way her brain works, and no she doesn't think that every person from Ireland has red hair. In fact, a lot more Irish people have black or dark brown hair than red. If she says something about her skin or eyes, and how some people tell her she's like a Brittish person that way, go ahead and talk to them and leave Sinder alone. It isn't her fault, and you shouldn't be using sarcasm.

And on a second note, why use that as your example? I'm mostly Irish, my great grandparents came from Ireland, and actually there are few Irish people out there with red hair, or green eyes. We do have pale skin that burns easily, but that also depends on where you live. That also goes with what Sinder was saying about her skin and eyes. People might say that to her because it just seems like something that would be Brittish, but maybe it's because people where she lives might not have the same kind of easily-burned skin that she does. If you think she's wrong, don't comment on it and just stick to the original topic of the thread or ignore it.

I know this was more of a rant, but I'm sorry; I can't stand by and watch you talk to Sinder that way. It might not seem mean to you, but that just really irritated me and I felt the need to say this. And now you're going to say "Well you could've ignored my comments about her post, like you told me to do." And I know I should have. But I'm just chidlish and need to learn how to stay out of other people's business. :3

Edited by CowlRaven

Look, you don't have to be a total censorkip.gif* bag to her. It's just the way her brain works, and no she doesn't think that every person from Ireland has red hair. In fact, a lot more Irish people have black or dark brown hair than red. If she says something about her skin or eyes, and how some people tell her she's like a Brittish person that way, go ahead and talk to them and leave Sinder alone. It isn't her fault, and you shouldn't be using sarcasm.

And on a second note, why use that as your example? I'm mostly Irish, my great grandparents came from Ireland, and actually there are few Irish people out there with red hair, or green eyes. We do have pale skin that burns easily, but that also depends on where you live. That also goes with what Sinder was saying about her skin and eyes. People might say that to her because it just seems like something that would be Brittish, but maybe it's because people where she lives might not have the same kind of easily-burned skin that she does. If you think she's wrong, don't comment on it and just stick to the original topic of the thread or ignore it.

I know this was more of a rant, but I'm sorry; I can't stand by and watch you talk to Sinder that way. It might not seem mean to you, but that just really irritated me and I felt the need to say this. And now you're going to say "Well you could've ignored my comments about her post, like you told me to do." And I know I should have. But I'm just chidlish and need to learn how to stay out of other people's business. :3

Sarcasm is my default state of being. Deal with it. If you don't like it, well, you already said yourself what you should be doing about it.

As to why I picked "do you think all Irishmen have red hair?" as an example it's because that's another one of those blatantly false things that masses of people in the US still seem to believe in anyway. Like the concept of there being a 'British' accent in the first place.

Sarcasm is my default state of being. Deal with it. If you don't like it, well, you already said yourself what you should be doing about it.

As to why I picked "do you think all Irishmen have red hair?" as an example it's because that's another one of those blatantly false things that masses of people in the US still seem to believe in anyway. Like the concept of there being a 'British' accent in the first place.

Well there are tons of people who either don't know about the different kinds or can't tell the difference, so they lump all the accents together and create a Brittish accent. :3

I'm actually one of those people so feel free to yell at me for still beleiving there's a Brittish accent. *NOT sarcasm by the way*

Not going to quote the post because it's like three posts above mine and Tikindi quoted it as well!

-------

I think that most of this was aimed at Tikindi, however I'm kind of annoyed that you're calling me out and saying that I'm acting like a censorkip.gif* even though what I said was not remotely offensive or disrespectful, and that Sinder herself replied without showing that she had taken any offense (although she may have and just not told me, which is also not really my fault, although if it is the case then I am sorry!) My comment, to my eyes, was pretty much just asking what the British stereotype that these people had in their heads was, and not really criticising anything at all, so I'm really not sure why I'm being yelled at here tongue.gif

Edited by Slim12

I think that most of this was aimed at Tikindi, however I'm kind of annoyed that you're calling me out and saying that I'm acting like a censorkip.gif* even though what I said was not remotely offensive or disrespectful, and that Sinder herself replied without showing that she had taken any offense (although she may have and just not told me, which is also not really my fault, although if it is the case then I am sorry!) My comment, to my eyes, was pretty much just asking what the British stereotype that these people had in their heads was, and not really criticising anything at all, so I'm really not sure why I'm being yelled at here tongue.gif

I wasn't yelling. Just talking normally on how I didn't like that question, because it can be taken two ways. I guess in my mind I just sort of heard it as being said in a sarcastic, or censorkip.gif* bag tone. *pats your head* Sorry. Just the way my mind works. I don't know if Sinder might have taken offense to that, but I did, so that's why you were kind of mentioned in that post.

Since i live in Tennessee i have a slight southern accent. but i've also lived in Kentucky, Virginia, and Arizona so i might have some influence from there as well.

Well there are tons of people who either don't know about the different kinds or can't tell the difference, so they lump all the accents together and create a Brittish accent. :3

I'm actually one of those people so feel free to yell at me for still beleiving there's a Brittish accent. *NOT sarcasm by the way*

I'd have thought, by this point, that it's been made abundantly clear that there isn't a single British accent, so ignorance isn't really an excuse. Which leave us with people either being wilfully obtuse, or wilfully stupid, neither of which I have any truck with.

I posted a link to a very good website with clips of various accents from the British Isles. Really if you listen to some of the broad rural ones there is a huge amount of difference. I suggest you do so until you can tell the difference.

In my case saying that there is a single british accent is one of those "light the blue touch paper and stand well back" issues. I have very little sense of humour about it, and I do get *very* angry when people insist on using the term even after it has been pointed out to them that it is incorrect.

Edit: to reword a sentence.

Edited by TikindiDragon

Tikindi, don't get too rattled by things like this - there will always be someone who'll generalise the "British accent". Just breathe, step away and leave 'em to it. No need to call people stupid just because they want to call it that, even if it is a bit vexing (to me too, sometimes... *Mumbles*)

Keeping on topic, one of the most epic accents I've heard was my old English teacher, who was Irish. We used to try and get him to say "Top o' the morning!" all the time, and he'd be like "Guys, it's afternoon..."

Tikindi, don't get too rattled by things like this - there will always be someone who'll generalise the "British accent". Just breathe, step away and leave 'em to it. No need to call people stupid just because they want to call it that, even if it is a bit vexing (to me too, sometimes... *Mumbles*)

I can understand generalising initialy. Really I can. It's just waaaaaay beyond annoying if they still *insist* on generalising even when it's been pointed out to them that, actualy, they're wrong. And I just don't know what else to call people who have been informed of how something *actualy* works and still insist on using their original definition.

*sigh*

I love proper Lancashire accents, though. There's nothing quite so comforting to me as listening to men that sound like Fred Dibnah talking (must have been all the Lancashire people around me growing up), it feels like coming home.

I know that there's more then one English accent, but I really have never been able to tell the difference between the few I've heard in movies like Harry Potter.

... I've never heard an English accent in real life that wasn't an impersonation that probably sounds nothing like the real thing,so if it weren't in movies I'd probably tell the difference upon hearing them.

Then I'd probably have trouble with your German, Kestra. My German is a nice clear High German (or so I've been told).

*mutters about the audacity of Northerners calling their German 'High' German*

Favourite accents - Scottish, Irish, Australian. And I would give my right testicle to have Antonio Banderas' accent.

According to my sister, I sound like I have a Chinese accent. Most likely because I speak very quickly and sometimes murder my sentence structure. When I'm on a tangent or I'm ranting, I tend to speak in very broken English and combine words that should not be combined. I only sound like that when I'm at home or when I'm talking to myself, though. The rest of the time I sound German and I have no idea why.

Argentinian accent here. Specifically from Buenos Aires.

When speaking English, I have a horrible mix of both British (the one I learn in my classes) and American (from the movies I see) accents and Spanish tries to say "present" when I pronounce certain words.

I have the ever exciting North American-Midwest accent. The upside is that generally, my accent is one of the more understandable ones (or so I'm told).

This for me too.

Though, I was always confused about my accent. I guess I got so used to hearing it that I didn't hear an accent anymore, if that makes sense.

My parents both have mild Indian accents, since they were both raised in India. It's not the same Indian accent you hear in movies. It's not very strong, especially for my dad, and it's a sourthern Indian accent.

My favorites and French and Japanese accents.

Edited by chuhulil

I have several accents depending on who I'm talking too. I either have a canadian accent (not the south park type its more of one from northern US southern canada) or a high end brittish accent due to my mum who is from england. I love the east end london accents though.

Edited by Salamance

I have several accents depending on who I'm talking too. I either have a canadian accent (not the south park type its more of one from northern US southern canada) or a high end brittish accent due to my mum who is from england. I love the east end london accents though.

Sorry don't know why there were two there...

Edited by Salamance