bbik

The Allure of Neglected Dragons

Just dropping in to give my congrats smile.gif. Really like the site, so keep up the good work, the future plans sound good.

Yup, real life is fun. Yay for delays!

However, I've finally pushed out the update. There should now be fogged genders (in a fashion), so go ahead and play with that and let me know what you think. Given the limitations from the API, it's stuck at either this current method, or nothing at all for fogged dragons (aka, I know it also affects eggs and ungendered hatchlings, but there's no way for me to tell them apart), but hopefully this is better than nothing. If the general opinion is that it's overkill or unpopular or any other problem, though, it's easy enough to cut it back out again.

There is also a brand new Lineage Viewer! It lacks a few now-standard features, but it also has some previously unseen ones. And as always, let me know if you find any bugs. (Edit: In addition to the link here, it's also linked from the Extras page, in case anyone was having trouble finding it.)

Next up will be either an inbred checker, some sort of children listing, or maybe switching to finally finish an old, unfinished project. We'll just have to wait and see what I feel like working on after I get some food in me!

And thanks Nine and Isuzu. I'm glad you like it. smile.gif

Edited by bbik

Gah! I didn't even notice you updated it. I should pay more attention. It's awesome by the way; I will be using the lineage viewer a lot. biggrin.gif

Another update! (And an on-site note about it, this time, too.)

• There's a new page! Record your freeze usage dates with the shiny new, one and only, first ever Freeze Tracker!
  • Bugfixes had a field day this time, too. The biggest ones were with fogged genders sometimes not showing up, and with the generation counter rarely giving a total number a few generations too low.
  • I also made several more behind the scenes fixes and updates. Those shouldn't make any noticable difference (or if they do, it should make the site faster), but if something starts acting weird, let me know.
As always, let me know if you have any suggestions, problems, or other comments!

Site Stats

And on another fun note, here are some numbers! They are based only what I have personally seen, rather than any specific, accurate record, but they are still quite impressive.

• Highest total dragons saved to the daycare: 3908
  • Highest number of scrolls in the daycare: 985 (Almost 1,000!)
  • Most users online at one time: 33
  • Highest ranking in the topsite listings: Jaemeia -- 2; PPN Top 50 -- 48
Edit: We've now topped 4,000 dragons on 1,000 scrolls -- 4,013 and 1,005 respectively. Yay for such a quickly growing site!

Next up:

What feature would you guys like me to work on next? I'm guessing scroll stats, inbred checking, and possibly another version of an offspring viewer are top choices, so of those three, which should come first?

Edited by bbik

Scroll stats. smile.gif

I love the new freeze tracker.

I LOVE the new features bbik, especially the freeze tracker. It's perfect for compulsive freezers like myself. <3

Cool, a freeze tracker biggrin.gif I know you always had problems with your freezes bbik biggrin.gif

I'm checking it out right now, and what I'm seeing, looks impressive! Will really come in handy!

It feels like I've to try to be online here more often, haha...

Anyway, the things I've seen this far is awesome. (:

I'll try the ER soon, have an egg with a bit less than two hours right now which I'll try to get an ND from (though, I don't think it will work, I've had such bad luck after my last try when one of my pink eggs became ND last winter - no, it didn't hatch, but it was close enough for me to try again). (:

And I'll start using it to all my eggs. (:

That's great, Caius. smile.gif Good luck with your experiment! And I completely understand your frustration. I'm in exactly the same boat. sad.gif

I know you always had problems with your freezes bbik biggrin.gif

Yeah, there are just way too few of them! rolleyes.gif But, yes, that is where the idea came from.

For the Scroll Stats:

How would you like to have them organized?

By stage (eggs/hatchlings/frozens/adults)?

• x total eggs

x CB

x bred

• x total hatchlings

x CB

x bred

x male

x female

• etc...
By gender (male/female/ungendered/unknown)?
  • x total males

x hatchlings

x frozens

x adults

x CB

x bred

• x total females

etc...

By lineage (CB/bred)?
  • x total CBs

x eggs

x hatchlings

x frozens

x adults

x each gender

• x total bred

etc...

Obviously, there will be overall totals as well, and assorted other details, but which top-level order is preferred, when it gets to breaking down the counts?

Maybe make it so that people can choose how they sort it? I can understand if you want to show how many adults you have, but also would like to know (for yourself) how many male/female you have? Just a suggestion. I don't have a preference.

I like By stage (eggs/hatchlings/frozens/adults). Thanks bbik for having such a wonderful site.

You know, i've been using the freeze tracker, and it's really helpfull! I can see exactly when i can freeze again smile.gif

Yeah, I've been procrastinating. I keep massively over-complicating the code, so declared it time to take a break to try and simplify things again. Of course, as good as I am at failing to see the forest for the trees, I'm still over-complicating it even now... But, I think I've figured out a way to let people choose their organizational scheme (no promises), so maybe it's not all bad.

That aside...

Should the stats count dead dragons as well? "Dead dragons" includes Zombies (during the hours they show), just to clarify. There is no reliable way for me to separate dead and undead. So, do we want to count the dead so zombies can be included, or skip them altogether, since no one cares about eggshells and dead hatchlings?

And as always, keep adding your dragons and spreading the word, both on the DC forums, and elsewhere! smile.gif

It's easy for me to add 3 (I have 3 Zombies) to the stats (which is what I do during the "day" hours when I use EDS for my stats).

I'm personally not bothered to have my dead eggs and such count. If I manage some zombies this Halloween, I can manually add those to my total in my head.

First, thanks for the great fansite! It's one of my top go-to sites, especially for ERs and Neglected experiments. I've seen several eggs turn Neglected just during the past week, and I'm sure the site's ARs are a huge factor in that.

I would prefer to not have dead eggs and hatchies counted in scroll stats. I've done a lot of Neglected experiments, so I've got 10 dead eggs on my scroll right now. Having those counted in scroll stats makes it more difficult to make sure I'm not scroll-locked. If I decide to go for a Zombie or two this Halloween, the problem would only get worse since I'd have to manually check my egg-count and my hatchie-count.

No matter what you decide, though, I'm sure I'll love it. happy.gif

This site rocks..but Im avoiding any/all possible death slots being used..trying for that Halloween zombie!!!LOL!! wink.gif

Its soo tempting to grab an egg off AP & try your site..but as soon as the month is over,Ill be paying you alot.png more visits!! tongue.gif Great ob,BTW..!!

Rockin' On

I had my 4th succes tx to this site. I've seen plenty eggs turn too the past few days! Very cool wink.gif

I'm glad the site's helping all of you. smile.gif Do please spread the word and make sure others as many others as possible know about it, as well!

And I'll leave the un/dead out of the count, given the overwhelming majority. No problem at all. Although progress in general has been rather delayed lately, if not forgotten. I'm still hoping to get it done "soon" but I don't know when that'll actually happen right now...

A question for the freeze tracker, though:

Would you like a slot to record which dragon was frozen, along with each date? I should be able to make it optional, but is it even worth adding it? Or would it never be used anyhow?

I kinda can't find a reason why I could use that. So I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be using it. I absolutely, totally love the freeze tracker, just the way it is. I don't even have any suggestions for it, and for me, that's huge tongue.gif

Well, looks like that went over like a lead balloon! It was a rather random idea, though, so I can't say I'm surprised.

Another idea which has been suggested a couple times, however, is to add trackers for the BSAs and breeding, as well. I'm honestly rather mixed.

* On the one hand, those already have (vague) timers, so it seems like it would be unnecessarily redundant.

* However, I can understand people wanting a more specific time for when a given action will be available again.

* I could also see it being useful as a quick way to check which dragons have a BSA currently available, without having to click through all of them individually.

* But, I'm not sure if it would be worth the effort. A few of you are dedicated freeze tracker users, which is great to see, but overall, it's getting far less traffic than I was expecting/hoping. And that's with freezing not having any timer at all. Since BSAs/breeding do have timers, I would imagine the number of people using trackers for those would be even lower.

So, before I go creating something that no one will use, I'd like some feedback! Who would like/use additional trackers? Who would ignore them entirely? Are there specific features which might make them more useful than the timers DC already provides? Other thoughts/opinions/reasons/etc?