bbik

The Allure of Neglected Dragons

bbik Thanks for letting me know. I'll put mine back in, so as to contribute to the getting back to normal thingie. smile.gif I'll just keep a close eye on them while things normalize, and use "check for sickness".

Just a quick note:

There was an update in the host's behind the scenes code. It shouldn't affect anything with AoND, but if anyone does notice anything different/odd, please let me know so I can look into it!

tongue.gif understood

The issue with large scrolls (800+) and not being able to show fogged dragons, which appeared out of nowhere after the downtime, should finally be fixed. Typos are such a slow, annoying thing to troubleshoot.

I wonder if this is possible,

A visual tool that shows the hatch/grown countdown..

I've been doing something like this in mspaint,

user posted image

I wonder if this is possible,

A visual tool that shows the hatch/grown countdown..

Oh, that gives me an idea of how to make a few other too-complicated ideas actually work. I'll certainly see what I can come up with!

Er, sorry for the double-post, but...

Due to some very silly comments in the ND channel, we have a shiny new button, courtesy of Wookieinmashoo:

user posted image

[url=http://www.coup-detat.info/NDER/][img=http://www.coup-detat.info/NDER/images/SigTophat.gif][/url]

Thanks Wookie!

I've also (finally) updated the Help page with all the banners and buttons that've come in lately, so they're now all listed on-site like they should be, in addition to the list in the first post. There was a minor bugfix to the main viewer, too, so let me know if you see anything odd in how it's working now.

The image in the post was only intended for show; the provided code makes it clickable.

But, sure, in case someone still needs the link and doesn't check signatures or the first post... A clickable linky!

For the Breed Tracker:
  • 1: Do you want to see the gender of the adult you're tracking?

• 2A: Do you want to see only a list of which mates refused?

2B: Or a list of refusals, plus the current mate and the result of their latest breeding attempt?

2C: Or do you want a list of all mates?

• 3: If you want a list of all mates (2C), how should the result be shown?
    • 3A: Only the most recent outcome with each mate?

• 3B: Save all results, giving you a running list of each recorded breeding attempt?

• 3C: Or with a sliding scale where you work up to having an egg eventually?

• 3D: Some other way entirely?

• 4A: If you want to track whether or not an egg was produced, do you only want to know that one was/wasn't?

4B: Or do you also want to know the breed and/or code?

• 5A: Do you want to have all of your recorded dragons showing at once?  Depending on the choices for questions 2 and 3, this could quickly grow very long.

5B: Or would you rather be able to pull up each individual dragon's info as you need it, one at a time?

• 6+: Is there anything else a breeding tracker should have?

1: Yes, please.

2: C. I want as much info as I can get.

3: B, I think.

4: B. More info!

5: A. I don't mind scrolling.

6: Not that I can think of at the moment!

Is it possible for the lineage viewer to show lineages as DC does, with the truncated boxed images, instead of the full bodies of the dragons?

Sorry if someone's already asked about this. Skimmed most of the thread, but it's late and I definitely could have missed some posts. smile.gif

Is it possible for the lineage viewer to show lineages as DC does, with the truncated boxed images, instead of the full bodies of the dragons?

Sorry if someone's already asked about this. Skimmed most of the thread, but it's late and I definitely could have missed some posts. smile.gif

I don't think it's been asked before, although I've certainly though about it myself.

However, no, it's unfortunately not possible, because DC doesn't use the same codes for the lineage images as for the dragons, and the API doesn't tell what breed each dragon is, so I can't even substitute images based on breed. As soon as either of those changes, I'll certainly switch to lineage-view images, but until then, we're stuck with shrunken adults.

And yay for more feedback! I have a whole list of updates planned to try and get out over spring break, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to get to the breed tracker as well, but I will get there sometime, hopefully soon.

You are soo sweet. I grow more attached to your site daily. I am a dragon babysitter of sorts for a couple family and friends who work and only occassionally look in on their scrolls. You awsome daycare has made life so much easier. I can drop in the scroll name, check a couple boxes and see all the eggs and hatchies with the times in one glance!

And I love the Daycare, ER and action trackers. Thank you!!! biggrin.gif

Aw, that's a pity.. thank you for the answer though smile.gif

Does the API allow access to breeds for growing things but not adults? Just curious since I remember seeing some fansite that tallies how many of a certain breed are on its hatchery.

Edited by kadoatie

Aw, that's a pity.. thank you for the answer though smile.gif

Does the API allow access to breeds for growing things but not adults? Just curious since I remember seeing some fansite that tallies how many of a certain breed are on its hatchery.

Nope, nothing about the breed at all. Best guess is that it's done by going to every individual dragon's page and checking for the breed there (which seems like it would be far too much strain on the server, and given DC's penchant for lag, would time out more than it would work), or, since some breeds have the same descriptions, maybe by comparing the images themselves (which I haven't yet had time to learn how to do, so I have no idea how well that would work or what the repercussions would be, nor what extra software may be required to do the comparisons).

It's past 2 in the morning, and I'm hyper like never before. And for some bizarre reason, I start giving my dragons descriptions... Those cheesy, serious-sounding ones that I'll surely gawk at in disbelief later on when I read them over again.. IF they get approved, that is.

On that note, I was wondering if searching up the descriptions of the dragons, or only whether you gave them descriptions or not using the API was possible.. It's going to be quite challenging to keep track of which dragons have the descriptions and which don't... Out of 500+ of them.

*goes off hyper again*

It's a KaiCat!

Nope, unfortunately not. As far as the API is concerned, there is no such thing as descriptions. I need to start an API-extras wishlist...

It's a bbik! *pokes*

Eck, darn. I was looking forward to description-tracker :<

API-extra wishlist sounds good to me... We keep hoping, and a miracle could always happen... right?

Time for the next round of UPDATES! Finally!

The Big Stuff:

• Scroll Statistics -- A brand new page! Dragon totals, scroll totals, scroll records, etc. More items can be added in the future, and I even have a list of ideas waiting, but I wanted to give you guys something to start with, at least, since I've already been promising it for so long. smile.gif
  • Action Trackers -- Now optionally lists all your adults so you can select the ones you want added, rather than adding by code. If you haven't started using the trackers yet, now's the time!

Other Stuff:

• Navigation/Menu Bar -- Altered its behavior when JavaScript is disabled. Let me know if you like it this way, or if you'd rather go back to the old way, and I'll go with the majority opinion.
  • Lineage Viewer -- There is now an option to use DC's background color for lineages, if you'd prefer.
  • Daycare -- The "force correct time display" option has been removed, since the API's timing glitch has been fixed.
  • Formatting -- Extensive behind-the-scenes changes to improve uniformity. As a result, some pages look quite different now, but most should be (almost) identical.
  • File Reorganization -- There shouldn't be any visible difference from this, but it's possible I missed something, so please let me know if something looks wrong.
  • Assorted Bugfixes -- But as always, I probably missed some, so let me know if you find anything strange.

School starts back up again on Monday, so I don't know how much time I'll have to work on more features between now and the summer, but I will get a real breed tracker online as soon as possible. It's at the top of my list, followed by several other new ideas I have. And as always, I'm open to any ideas all of you may have, as well!

I just got directed to your scroll statistics page. And love it. Now excuse me, I have a banner to make to put in my sig to advertise that wherever I post.

EDIT: Hmm. The border is a little off-looking. I'll fix that later.

EDIT 2: Better!

user posted image

[URL=http://www.coup-detat.info/NDER/Stats.php][IMG=http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i318/AlternateMew/Banners/AoNDScrollStats.gif][/URL]

And since the first one was taken interestingly, modified it slightly for the action tracker. xd.png

user posted image

[URL=http://www.coup-detat.info/NDER/Trackers.php][IMG=http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i318/AlternateMew/Banners/AoNDActionTracker.gif][/URL]

Edited by AlternateMew

I love the new statistics page. Thanks for all the new updates.

Yes, I'm double-posting. I want to be able to link this specific chunk of text directly, though, and a separate post is the easiest way to do it.

For the Breed Tracker:

• 1: Do you want to see the gender of the adult you're tracking?

So far, I have one vote sure, one vote don't bother, and one vote neutral. That's not much to go on.

• 2A: Do you want to see only a list of which mates refused?

2B: Or a list of refusals, plus the current mate and the result of their latest breeding attempt?

• 3: If you want a list of all mates (2C), how should the result be shown?
    • 3A: Only the most recent outcome with each mate?
    • 3B: Save all results, giving you a running list of each recorded breeding attempt?
    • 3C: Or with a sliding scale where you work up to having an egg eventually?

For example: Attempt 1, you get no interest, so that result is saved. Attempt 2, they breed, but don't produce an egg. That is closer to an egg than no interest, so it overwrites the previous result. Attempt 3, they again show no interest, but since they bred once, this latest result is ignored in favor of Attempt 2's result. Attempt 4, they finally breed an egg, so that result is saved, and from now on, that's what those two dragons will show, since it has happened at least once.

• 3D: Some other way entirely? If you have other ideas/preferences, let me know that as well, and maybe I'll be able to work them into one ideal solution.
  • 4A: If you want to track whether or not an egg was produced, do you only want to know that one was/wasn't?

• 5A: Do you want to have all of your recorded dragons showing at once? Depending on the choices for questions 2 and 3, this could quickly grow very long.

5B: Or would you rather be able to pull up each individual dragon's info as you need it, one at a time?

• 6+: Is there anything else a breeding tracker should have?
Please share your ideas and desires! I need to know what you would like to see, what you would find useful! The more details you give me, the better the resulting tracker will be.

All I would want is to be able to see what dragons are able to breed and when the rest unlock.

1) Gender would be nice, but not necessary.

2) As for refusals, that would also be a nice addition. I would not want to see the current mate, result of the last breeding attempt, or list of mates.

3) I'll answer this anyway. Were you to make this, this is what I'd want:

(picture/name of dragon to be checked)

Mates:

(picture/name of dragon and possible gender)

>>>Children: (pic/name of kid and possible gender and father/mother), (etc)

>>>Number of Failed Breeding Attempts: 2

>>>>>>(POSSIBLE) Partners of Failed Breeding Attempts: (pic/name of dragon and possible gender)

(lather, rinse, repeat)

It'd be nice if the breeding attempts were shown in order, but I think that the above system would be just as good.

4) I think that that should be a checkbox- like the check for sickness thing. Default, check if egg was produced. Checkbox, show offspring (possible gender, etc).

5) I think that a show all and a show code option would be nice. Or if you have a list of all the recorded dragons, maybe have a button you could click to show the other stuff like when you view the children a dragon has had on DC?

I've also noticed that someone said there should be a countdown meter for eggs and hatchlings. I agree with this, if it wouldn't be too much trouble.

For the Breed Tracker:

* 1: Do you want to see the gender of the adult you're tracking?

So far, I have one vote sure, one vote don't bother, and one vote neutral. That's not much to go on.

Don't mind. I assume I would know smile.gif

* 2A: Do you want to see only a list of which mates refused?

All, please

* 3: If you want a list of all mates (2C), how should the result be shown?

o 3A: Only the most recent outcome with each mate?

o 3B: Save all results, giving you a running list of each recorded breeding attempt?

o 3C: Or with a sliding scale where you work up to having an egg eventually?

3B, please.

* 4A: If you want to track whether or not an egg was produced, do you only want to know that one was/wasn't?

Breed and code please.

* 5A: Do you want to have all of your recorded dragons showing at once? Depending on the choices for questions 2 and 3, this could quickly grow very long.

One at a time as required.

* 6+: Is there anything else a breeding tracker should have?

Basically what I want it to do is show me who bred with whom to get whom, when I need to know all that. Too many bells and whistles would just slow it all down.

Thanks for asking.

For the Breed Tracker:

1: Do you want to see the gender of the adult you're tracking?

YES

2C: Do you want a list of all mates?

YES

3C: Shown using sliding scale where you work up to having an egg eventually?

For example: Attempt 1, you get no interest, so that result is saved. Attempt 2, they breed, but don't produce an egg. That is closer to an egg than no interest, so it overwrites the previous result. Attempt 3, they again show no interest, but since they bred once, this latest result is ignored in favor of Attempt 2's result. Attempt 4, they finally breed an egg, so that result is saved, and from now on, that's what those two dragons will show, since it has happened at least once.

YES! This would be wonderful

4A: If you want to track whether or not an egg was produced, do you only want to know that one was/wasn't?

YES (good enough for a quick sort)

5A: Do you want to have all of your recorded dragons showing at once? Or would you rather be able to pull up each individual dragon's info as you need it, one at a time?

All would be too much information, one at a time too little. How about all of one breed?

I hope that was helpful.