bbik

The Allure of Neglected Dragons

I've been using the trackers lately, especially the influence and incubate, since i always seem to run out of those, or forgetting what egg i influenced which gender. Never thought i would use them tongue.gif

I've been using the trackers lately, especially the influence and incubate, since i always seem to run out of those, or forgetting what egg i influenced which gender. Never thought i would use them tongue.gif

Hehe. Converting people along the way! tongue.gif

A question, to all you tracker users:

Would you like to be able to save the egg codes for all applicable BSAs? Or should that option stay limited to influence (aka: keep it how it is now)?

I hadn't previously considered egg codes to be important for anything beyond influence, but I've recently had a couple requests to add it to incubate, at the very least. So, if I do that, how many of you would use it? And for which other actions would you like to see it available?

Edited by bbik

hmmm, I'm not sure I'd need incubate codes. BUT I think it would be awsome if the influenced egg codes would stay (somewhere) for two weeks (time for the egg and the hatchling to grow up) I say this because I am almost positive I influenced an egg that recently gendered wrong.... sad.gif

Wish I could look back to see if influence failed or I did, LOL

bbik I have never gotton a neglected or a zombie dragon. (or many of he uncommon/rares) But somewhere I remember seeing a How to for creating a neglected. It was a long time ago, do you have a link to it? I am not sure if I'm up to it, but I might be ready to give it a try.

Edited by Linda4atc

I've been having a problem the last couple of days when i try to use the refresher on the ER page. It will refresh a couple few times then stop due to an "Internal Server Error". I don't know if it's just me or what, but it's happened every time I use the refresher on the ER page. I don't know about the extreme ER AR, because I haven't had an extreme ER since I started having this issue.

I am going to pm my problem to you also when I try to use the site I get the message The connection was reset. I thought at first t was just a fluke but it keeps happening.

I've been having a problem the last couple of days when i try to use the refresher on the ER page. It will refresh a couple few times then stop due to an "Internal Server Error". I don't know if it's just me or what, but it's happened every time I use the refresher on the ER page. I don't know about the extreme ER AR, because I haven't had an extreme ER since I started having this issue.

Yeah, I've been getting this too, scattered across the entire site. Problem is, it's caused by some sort of issue at the host's end, so it's not something I can directly do anything to fix. sad.gif I've pointed out that it's being nasty, so now I'm left to cross my fingers and hope they get a move on already.

Edit: Got sidetracked while typing and missed your post, kayla. But, same response as for ThatDeadGirl. I wish I had something more to say/do, because it's driving me crazy too, but it's well out of my reach... sad.gif

...BUT I think it would be awsome if the influenced egg codes would stay (somewhere) for two weeks (time for the egg and the hatchling to grow up)...

...I remember seeing a How to for creating a neglected...

Interesting idea about the influenced egg codes. I hadn't thought about it that way. I'll see what ideas I can come up with for how best to add that in, though!

As for a How-to, if there was one, I don't have a link. It might've been on an old forum, but that forum went inactive quite a while ago from what I've been told, and I was never part of it anyhow, so I don't even have a handy link to the homepage. However, if you stop by the #NDWorld chat and help out with some other experiments, that's usually the best way to learn the ropes, these days.

Edited by bbik

Thanks for the site, it's my new favorite hatchery! happy.gif

I enjoy cleaning while giving views. Sometimes, when I click to move a hatchling from the Nest to the Nursery, I get the message "

is still a hatchling. Please don't abuse the system." Does that just mean someone else has already moved the hatchling? 

Does that just mean someone else has already moved the hatchling?

Yeah, if it shows in the nest but gives you that message, either someone else or the auto-cleaner beat you. If that message starts coming up too often for people, I'll change it, but for now it seems to be infrequent enough and a nice reminder to click the right stars, not randomly click all stars.

I'm glad you like the site. smile.gif

I keep getting "internal server error" When I add my dragons to the ER sad.gif Is this just me?

I keep getting "internal server error" When I add my dragons to the ER sad.gif Is this just me?

Hmm, I guess we rolled onto a new page. No, it wasn't just you.

However, I didn't see errors at all yesterday (though I was barely online, either), and I didn't get any new complaints either. So hopefully the host finally fixed whatever it screwed up. Or are you guys still having trouble with errors?

And as far as updates... I am still working on them. But with being back at school, and school not letting me access things I need even during multi-hour gaps, it's going slowly, at best. sad.gif Hopefully we'll get some more snow days this week, and I'll be able to make worthwhile progress again.

I just wanted to say this is the best hatchery I know: well constructed, easy to use and the only with a health check.

1: Do you want to see the gender of the adult you're tracking?

Yes, the more info the better.

2A: Do you want to see only a list of which mates refused?

2B: Or a list of refusals, plus the current mate and the result of their latest breeding attempt?

2C: Or do you want a list of all mates?

Option 2C please.

3: If you want a list of all mates (2C), how should the result be shown?

3A: Only the most recent outcome with each mate?

3B: Save all results, giving you a running list of each recorded breeding attempt?

3C: Or with a sliding scale where you work up to having an egg eventually?

3D: Some other way entirely? If you have other ideas/preferences, let me know that as well, and maybe I'll be able to work them into one ideal solution.

3B, I would like to see all results on the page.

4A: If you want to track whether or not an egg was produced, do you only want to know that one was/wasn't?

4B: Or do you also want to know the breed and/or code?

Once more, the more info the better.

5A: Do you want to have all of your recorded dragons showing at once? Depending on the choices for questions 2 and 3, this could quickly grow very long.

5B: Or would you rather be able to pull up each individual dragon's info as you need it, one at a time?

One dragon at a time.

6+: Is there anything else a breeding tracker should have?

How much time remains until I can breed that dragon again, but you probably thought of that. In fact, this is the most important function for me, if that one thing was implemented I would be satisfied. The breeding tracker is like a bonus, compared to this.

For the Breed Tracker:

* 1: Do you want to see the gender of the adult you're tracking?

Yes.

Its name would also be nice, if possible.

* 2A: Do you want to see only a list of which mates refused?

List of mates refused, plus last 3 breeding attempts. (with which dragon, egg, no egg, interest, no interest...)

* 4A: If you want to track whether or not an egg was produced, do you only want to know that one was/wasn't?

4B: Or do you also want to know the breed and/or code?

Not necessarily. It would be nifty, but not really needed for my sporadic breeding for now. If I was aiming for a certain lineage, then definitely useful.

* 5A: Do you want to have all of your recorded dragons showing at once?

A list of all the dragons being tracked (with when it's been last bred), with the possibility of clicking on the dragon to see details.

* 6+: Is there anything else a breeding tracker should have?

Being able to see when I can breed them again, like for the BSA trackers.

Hi, I love using this website to hatch my dragons, I haven't had a sick egg or hatchling yet. It's amazing and it receives a lot of unique views.

I made some animated underbanners you could use if you wish. I'll make changes to them if necessary.

user posted image

[URL=http://www.coup-detat.info/NDER/][IMG=http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n586/VampiricOmen/Tags%20and%20Underbanners/The-Allure-of-Neglected-Dragons.gif][/URL]

user posted image

[URL=http://www.coup-detat.info/NDER/NDER.php][IMG=http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n586/VampiricOmen/Tags%20and%20Underbanners/The-Allure-of-Neglected-Dragons-ER.gif][/URL]

@ VampiricOmen

They're wonderful, thank you! I'll add them to the first post tomorrow (I'm tired enough now, I'd probably screw it all up), and to the main site as soon as I can finally get the next site update done.

@ spellcoat & natli

Thanks for the input. I'm finally getting a better feel about what people would actually like to see in a breeding tracker, so I'll be adding that back into the to-do list now. I'm not sure when I'll have time to work on it, since I still want to finish some other updates (and homework...) first, but I definitely will add it sometime, as soon as possible.

I read it a while back, and I must agree, it would be great to be able to see the dragons that were influenced, by a certain dragon. Meaning, to keep track of influenced dragons to see wich pink doesn't do a good job, and wich pink does.

Or, better yet, if an egg is influenced, and the influence failed, let it show up somewhere. Something that checks, like, 2 weeks after the influence, if the dragon actually gendered right. And then if it failed, showing a "1" in a colomn somewhere, behind the pink. With a link to the code so you can check if you own the dragon or not.

With the option to delete a "failed" code (if you dropped the egg for example, and it gendered differently).

(That way, you could delete the "failed" influence, wich wasn't an influence in the first place, because you dropped it.)

It might be interesting, to see if failed influences, are somewhat linked to certain dragons, or not. If it is, it would be very good to know, to not use the influence again, unless you don't have another choice tongue.gif

I kind of wondered if it was a particular dragon that failed too.

I have a minor error I just noticed, I have a hatchling with 4 days 1 hour and in the daycare roster that dragon has 5 days 1 hour on it instead. I may not have noticed but it already genered so I was checking to see if I could hatch it by putting it in the ER.

...hatchling with 4 days 1 hour and in the daycare roster that dragon has 5 days 1 hour...

Did you check the "Force correct time display" box before you submitted your scroll name? It sounds like you didn't. That option is there precisely for this reason, because otherwise, DC has a known bug where it adds an extra day to the time remaining, for no good reason but to annoy the users. It doesn't happen every time, but it's often enough that most everyone who hatches/matures dragons before they go ER notices it at some point.

@ snoesiepoes (and whoever mentioned it earlier)

I haven't forgotten the suggestion about longer-lasting influence egg codes; I just haven't had much time to work on anything lately.

Adding a counter for when influence does/doesn't work would be an even bigger change than having codes stick around longer, however. Right now, none of the trackers access DC at all, to reduce lag and to make sure they work even if DC is being slow. Checking the gender later would change that completely. But, I'll see what ideas I can come up with to add something like that to the site. Once I ever find some free time again, that is.

@ FishPickle

I'm glad you like it! The more people who use it and add their dragons, the better the view-count will be, so share it with all your friends, too! smile.gif

Did you check the "Force correct time display" box before you submitted your scroll name? It sounds like you didn't. That option is there precisely for this reason, because otherwise, DC has a known bug where it adds an extra day to the time remaining, for no good reason but to annoy the users. It doesn't happen every time, but it's often enough that most everyone who hatches/matures dragons before they go ER notices it at some point.

WOW ! I had no idea about that ! Thanks biggrin.gif

Right now, none of the trackers access DC at all, to reduce lag and to make sure they work even if DC is being slow. Checking the gender later would change that completely.

Meh, that was just a "being lazy" suggestion anyway tongue.gif

But how about the possibility (by checking a box) to maintain a list of eggs influenced, where you can click the code, like you can do with the red adults? Then you can check if influence failed or not. A list where you can delete codes as well?

And people who don't care about it, they could simply not check the box.

And maybe to save space, you could set it so that it only keeps the first 10 codes and then maybe some notification behind the pink, meaning the code cue is full. Or something. That way, you can delete the ones that gendered correct, and only keep the ones that gendered wrong. It would take 10 weeks, for a dragon's cue to be full. So as long as the user checks it once every 10 weeks, no codes get lost.

@ snoesiepoes (and whoever mentioned it earlier)

I haven't forgotten the suggestion about longer-lasting influence egg codes; I just haven't had much time to work on anything lately.

Adding a counter for when influence does/doesn't work would be an even bigger change than having codes stick around longer, however. Right now, none of the trackers access DC at all, to reduce lag and to make sure they work even if DC is being slow. Checking the gender later would change that completely. But, I'll see what ideas I can come up with to add something like that to the site. Once I ever find some free time again, that is.

@ FishPickle

I'm glad you like it! The more people who use it and add their dragons, the better the view-count will be, so share it with all your friends, too! smile.gif

LOL no I didn't know what force correct time was....

It was I that made the longer lasting influence codes suggestions.

Would it have to be connected to the DC if you just had all codes stay for two weeks? Checking to see if it failed would have to be done by people instead of the program...

Would it have to be connected to the DC if you just had all codes stay for two weeks? Checking to see if it failed would have to be done by people instead of the program...

No, but I would have to alter the database setup, and the code to match. And unfortunately, I have little to no free time even to do some minor and/or bugfix updates that I want to do, right now, much less something larger like playing with database setups. The best suggestion I have right now would be to use ERs when times drop low enough -- even without incubate, it's possible to raise a dragon from new egg to adult in 6 days, while influence has a 7 day cooldown, so the code would stick around for long enough in that case. I realize it's not really a solution, but it's at least an interim option.

Edit: Oh, also, if you have suggestions for alternate (short) phrasings of how else I could more clearly say the "Force correct time displays" line, please do suggest them. I was never a fan of that phrasing myself, but I've had no better ideas/suggestions, so settled for "let people click and test it for themselves."

Edited by bbik

I've been using this awesome hatchery for months, but this week my eggs have been getting soft shell. I noticed less eggs/hatchies in the ER. Are there less dragons in there now, maybe due to recent downtime, so more views per dragon, thus softshell? If so, I'll need to adjust my hatching schedule.

Are there less dragons in there now, maybe due to recent downtime

Yes. Once the auto-cleaner caught up with all the dragons that grew up during the downtime, the site was down by almost half the normal numbers. And there are also more people visiting right now, while everyone rushes in to finally check their dragons and post any new ones they've caught. Plus it was a weekend, so views tend to be slightly higher then anyhow. Numbers are working back to normal though, and I suspect with it being Monday now, that'll happen even faster over the next day or two.

ER numbers are drastically reduced because there simply aren't as many ERs on DC -- after 3 days of downtime, most dragons were already ER, so either grew immediately, were added to the ER as soon as DC came back (there was a huge pile of ERs for a couple hours), or died. Once all the new eggs people have caught/bred start getting down on time, ER numbers should go back to normal as well.

If anyone's curious about the actual numbers, pre-downtime there were typically 7,000-8,000 dragons in the daycare, compared to the yesterday's 4,000-5,000. I also saw 70 people online at once a few times over the past couple days, which is high enough to be a holiday rush, rather than the daily time-dependent 25-50.