maustin89

Computer and tech talk and questions

I think that the new charger might have a small defect somewhere. You really need to call Apple if something is up.

Do the chargers work with an iPad other than yours? (Try to charge another device, if it is possible.)

There is the possibility that all the bending has also damaged the pin connector in the Ipad itself. Which would mean that even chargers that worked with other devices may not work with yours.

Sadly it rather sounds as if this is down to careless use, and Apple has no responsibilities at all.

Well, also, when my family facetimes, skypes, etc., with the apple products, we can't hear the other person. They can hear us, but we can't hear them. (And surprisingly, the charger DOES work, but it doesn't show the charging sign, and my dad's phone charges with it)

Apparently, I HAD to update my Ipad.

Edited by girlfairy76

Apparently, I HAD to update my Ipad.

Problem solved! Is it working now? xd.png

If it is, well, that's a new solution to any problem like this in the future.

Problem solved! Is it working now? xd.png

If it is, well, that's a new solution to any problem like this in the future.

Yup. I can hear my friend on facetime, (I haven't tested out the chargers yet...)

Got a question smile.gif

Will updating my modem increase my internet speed a little?

My current one is 3-4 years old and model Netgear DG834gu v5.

I have done all the usual tests such as an isolation test and it still does not change my speed. I have ADSL 2+ and am with Optus. I have tested both wired and wireless with both PC and laptop.

I am promised 20 Mb/s but don't get anywhere near that speed. It is usually around 1.00Mb/s, tonight it is going a bit slow. I live just under 2km away from an optus tower so it's not my distance.

Speed test results:

user posted image

user posted image

thanks

-issy

Edited by isstiautng

Got a question smile.gif

Will updating my modem increase my internet speed a little?

My current one is 3-4 years old and model Netgear DG834gu v5.

I have done all the usual tests such as an isolation test and it still does not change my speed. I have ADSL 2+ and am with Optus. I have tested both wired and wireless with both PC and laptop.

I am promised 20 Mb/s but don't get anywhere near that speed. It is usually around 1.00Mb/s, tonight it is going a bit slow. I live just under 2km away from an optus tower so it's not my distance.

Unfortunately for you the answer is no. Your modem is *not* causing your speed issues. It's more likely to be the state of the wires coming into your house that's causing the problem. Either that, or the age of the telephone wires between you and the local hub. If any of them are old or substandard then you're going to have speed issues.

Still... that's one hell of a drop from where you've been told you should be. First step would be to double check with various providers what speed they'd expect to be able to provide in your location (can normally be done on their websties using your postal code - at least it can here in the UK). It may be that no ISP is actually capable of providing 20mbs to your location. That done - ring your ISP. If it's impossible to provide 20mbs to your location then you shouldn't be paying for 20mbs. If it *is* possible, then I suggest you need you line checking. Plus it's also possible the can tweak settings at their end to speed it up (although that's unlikly to gain you more than a couple of meg).

@ TikindiDragon

I did ring a couple of other providers and they said that the 20Mb/s is very possible in my area. We have had a faster internet speed from another provider a couple of years ago so I don't quite think that it is the house cabling.

A bunch of people online seem to be having speed issues with Optus, so I might just change providers since they offer the same plan for half the price.

I called Optus and they told me that I should buy a new modem off them :/ Since the modem is old, but I don't really believe this.

-issy

I would look into changing providers. I haven't heard much about Optus, but what I have heard is negative. Your speed is extremely lower than it should be, and buying a new modem from them won't fix that.

Are you using wlan? If so, try the speedtest next to the modem, or by wiring to the modem.

Because wlan does get slower and malfunctioning with age of the device.

@ TikindiDragon

I did ring a couple of other providers and they said that the 20Mb/s is very possible in my area. We have had a faster internet speed from another provider a couple of years ago so I don't quite think that it is the house cabling.

A bunch of people online seem to be having speed issues with Optus, so I might just change providers since they offer the same plan for half the price.

I called Optus and they told me that I should buy a new modem off them :/ Since the modem is old, but I don't really believe this.

-issy

Absolutely I'd switch. If their solution to a problem is to try and sell you something else, then that's not a company I'd want to be with myself. Old modems may slow things down slightly, but not by the massive amount you are talking. Not unless you're still using a dial-up one anyway wink.gif

Are you using wlan? If so, try the speedtest next to the modem, or by wiring to the modem.

Because wlan does get slower and malfunctioning with age of the device.

Nope, the modem is wired to the PC.

I plan to upgrade to a win7 professional 64bit OS sooner or later (trying to get the parts picked out atm) and was wondering about a list of games. I like to play PC games at times and a lot of my favorites are kinda oldish.

List of Games:

Prototype

Warcraft 3 (Expansions as well)

Quake 3 Arena & Team Arena

Quake 4

Sims 2 (Pets expansion as well)

Anyone play these games on a Win7 Professional 64 bit os? I tried Prototype on my moms which is Win7 and it had no sound but she isn't able to get the XP backwards compatibility feature which is what mine will have once I get it installed.

I've not tried those specific ones, but we're running the same set-up and there's very few games we haven't been able to get up an running. And I'm talking much older stuff than you are wink.gif

I've not tried those specific ones, but we're running the same set-up and there's very few games we haven't been able to get up an running. And I'm talking much older stuff than you are wink.gif

Okay that helps a lot. Hopefully I can figure out whatever this sound issue is with my mothers and get it fixed.

The only thing you may run into is the game feeling like it's running very, very 'quickly' or extremely sensitive. There's a few games that seem to suffer from that, normally if the rest of the rig is waaaaaay too powerful for them. The few I had that problem with I was able to get a reworked version from GOG that works perfectly.

Okay, I'm wondering if I could have help on my e-mail. Hotmail recently switched over to a new "Outlook" version, and its giving me some trouble, specifically with attaching files.

When I press on the "attach icon", or the "Attach files" link next to it, nothing happens. It might as well be a picture, even though all the other icons (for example, bold and bullet points) work just fine. I went to the help section to see if it had advice. I was able to get two suggestions.

1) Right click on the file and send it as an e-mail. I was eventually able to do this, although I had to set up a Windows E-mail linked to my Outlook. However, I have been unable to confirm if this message was actually sent, since I can't find it in my "sent" folder.

2) Drag the file into the body of the message. This did absolutely nothing.

So I'm wondering if anyone has some advice on what's going? Am I missing something, or is it just a weird glitch in Outlook's coding?

Okay, I'm wondering if I could have help on my e-mail. Hotmail recently switched over to a new "Outlook" version, and its giving me some trouble, specifically with attaching files.

When I press on the "attach icon", or the "Attach files" link next to it, nothing happens. It might as well be a picture, even though all the other icons (for example, bold and bullet points) work just fine. I went to the help section to see if it had advice. I was able to get two suggestions.

1) Right click on the file and send it as an e-mail. I was eventually able to do this, although I had to set up a Windows E-mail linked to my Outlook. However, I have been unable to confirm if this message was actually sent, since I can't find it in my "sent" folder.

2) Drag the file into the body of the message. This did absolutely nothing.

So I'm wondering if anyone has some advice on what's going? Am I missing something, or is it just a weird glitch in Outlook's coding?

Ditto that. Is there any way I can change back to Hotmail? I dislike using outlook.

Ditto that. Is there any way I can change back to Hotmail? I dislike using outlook.

No. There are forums cursing the new thing. It doesn't seem to work and it looks horrid, they say. (I spent a lot of time trawling the web for a way out of it for my daughter who was terrified of losing her contacts list !)

Everyone I know who was with hotmail and who doesn't use POP for their email has switched to yahoo because of this. Isn't it VILE !

No. There are forums cursing the new thing. It doesn't seem to work and it looks horrid, they say. (I spent a lot of time trawling the web for a way out of it for my daughter who was terrified of losing her contacts list !)

Everyone I know who was with hotmail and who doesn't use POP for their email has switched to yahoo because of this. Isn't it VILE !

POP? I haven't had any issues with it but all I been doing is signing in with my hotmail acc and cleaning out e-mails and looking for some e-mails. I know the merge to Skype to keep using the IM but other than that I haven't had issues.

Edit: nvm I know what POP is now. >_< If I seen it as POP3 I woulda known.

Edited by demonicvampiregirl