maustin89

Computer and tech talk and questions

I keep getting an error when I try to update Flash. It tells me I don't have sufficient privileges.

This makes no sense, however, as my account is the administrator account for the computer I'm having the problems with.

What do I do?

Running Windows 7, I've already done some virus scans and there's nothing there--or if it is, it's not getting picked up.

I've been having this problem for quite some time now, and nothing I try resolves it.

Try completely uninstalling Flash, and then try reinstalling it.

I'm having a lot of difficulties with my precious rig. Press the power button, absolutely nothing happens. I'm working on the fix, but we're about two months in and no luck.

Try completely uninstalling Flash, and then try reinstalling it.

Well, tried that, I still can't install it so now I just uninstalled it and can't get it reinstalled...

EDIT:

Nevermind, it's working now. Apparently it was some kind of screw-up with the registry or something. I got it working.

Edited by KageSora

For last 5 days or so, the forums have been going down in random spurts

between noon and midnight each afternoon. They come up and work a

few minutes and go back down for varying length of time.

isup.me says it is not just me.

Today I got a message indicating capacity problem:

Apache Server at forums.dragcave.net Port 80

Is this something on my end I need to take care of or this

DC server?

(it took 40 minutes to post this, what will it be like trying to

receive and send Halloween breeding?)

For last 5 days or so, the forums have been going down in random spurts

between noon and midnight each afternoon. They come up and work a

few minutes and go back down for varying length of time.

isup.me says it is not just me.

Today I got a message indicating capacity problem:

Apache Server at forums.dragcave.net Port 80

Is this something on my end I need to take care of or this

DC server?

(it took 40 minutes to post this, what will it be like trying to

receive and send Halloween breeding?)

This isn't a problem with your computer if you check the help section there is a topic or two there about this. It's been doing that for me as well. :/

I hope this doesn't count as spam but I have a question and the thread is dead.

I play GPX+ and they suggest using Chrome to play on. I use Opera right now and plan to move over to Chrome sometime tonight/tomorrow depending on when this gets answered.

I use ABP on Firefox and I know Chrome has it in Beta (last I looked my mom has it on hers). I wonder if I put it on Chrome would it cross over with my ABP for Firefox and mess it up or would they stay separate and not cause any issues. (I use Windows XP SP3 if that helps)

I have the Donor status on the site and am still on the old set up which blocks ads but I get no benefits and I'm fine with it. It's the forums that have ads on there so I cannot visit it much and would like to use ABP so I can visit them again. If all else fails I can just log into the forums from this browser but would love to use just one browser for GPX+.

I play GPX+ and they suggest using Chrome to play on. I use Opera right now and plan to move over to Chrome sometime tonight/tomorrow depending on when this gets answered.

I use ABP on Firefox and I know Chrome has it in Beta (last I looked my mom has it on hers). I wonder if I put it on Chrome would it cross over with my ABP for Firefox and mess it up or would they stay separate and not cause any issues. (I use Windows XP SP3 if that helps)

I have the Donor status on the site and am still on the old set up which blocks ads but I get no benefits and I'm fine with it. It's the forums that have ads on there so I cannot visit it much and would like to use ABP so I can visit them again. If all else fails I can just log into the forums from this browser but would love to use just one browser for GPX+.

I have winXP and SP 3 - while I don't play on line games like that one, the Adblock Plus on chrome and firefox don't seem to conflict elsewhere, at least.

You can always fix later - or use regular AB on one or the other ?

I have the Donor status on the site and am still on the old set up which blocks ads but I get no benefits and I'm fine with it. It's the forums that have ads on there so I cannot visit it much and would like to use ABP so I can visit them again.  If all else fails I can just log into the forums from this browser but would love to use just one browser for GPX+.

Adblockers are addons for the specific browser. So they should stay in files for their own browser - Firefox addons in Mozilla or Firefox folders and Chrome addons in Chrome folders. So there shouldn't be any interaction between your adblockers for each browser as far as I know.

I have winXP and SP 3 - while I don't play on line games like that one, the Adblock Plus on chrome and firefox don't seem to conflict elsewhere, at least.

You can always fix later - or use regular AB on one or the other ?

I only know and trust ABP so I don't know any other one that isn't a scam or anything else. I'm very touchy about the add ons I use on browser. So far 2 computers I've helped my dad work on have had Google Toolbar on them and both have been messed up so I don't trust any beyond Norton Toolbar, ABP, Personas, and Stylish.

Adblockers are addons for the specific browser. So they should stay in files for their own browser - Firefox addons in Mozilla or Firefox folders and Chrome addons in Chrome folders. So there shouldn't be any interaction between your adblockers for each browser as far as I know.

Alright I will try it then later on. My mind is totally dead atm. I'm about to fall asleep again. >_<

Thanks!!!

I only know and trust ABP so I don't know any other one that isn't a scam or anything else. I'm very touchy about the add ons I use on browser. So far 2 computers I've helped my dad work on have had Google Toolbar on them and both have been messed up so I don't trust any beyond Norton Toolbar, ABP, Personas, and Stylish.

Alright I will try it then later on. My mind is totally dead atm. I'm about to fall asleep again. >_<

Thanks!!!

AB is the same people as ABP, as far as I know - just fewer bells and whistles. I have adblock lite on my Pale Moon and it works fine with everything else....

AB is the same people as ABP, as far as I know - just fewer bells and whistles. I have adblock lite on my Pale Moon and it works fine with everything else....

Oh. Didn't know that. :/

Does anyone know how to partition a hard drive? I want to run multiple operating systems.

Does anyone know how to partition a hard drive? I want to run multiple operating systems.

First up - how big is the HD you are talking about (for practiality purposes). Secondly which OS are you already running?

I wish I would know more about tech and computer stuff ninja.gif

because I have been thinking of becoming an engineer or an architect...

Though I will try to aim as high I can with my graduation grades laugh.gif

I came home from church tonight and had to log in to every site (including Dragon Cave and the forums) that remember me. When I went to the ESPN site and tried logging back into it, I was told that I needed to enable cookies. I never disabled cookies, but figured out how to enable them after visiting the Mozilla Firefox site. Anyway, I am using the latest version of Firefox, 17.0.1, and I've never had any problems getting auto logged out before this evening. Any ideas?

I came home from church tonight and had to log in to every site (including Dragon Cave and the forums) that remember me.  When I went to the ESPN site and tried logging back into it, I was told that I needed to enable cookies.  I never disabled cookies, but figured out how to enable them after visiting the Mozilla Firefox site.  Anyway, I am using the latest version of Firefox, 17.0.1, and I've never had any problems getting auto logged out before this evening.  Any ideas?

I have that happen every 1-2 months now and have had that happen for a while now. Ever since I upgraded to I think Firefox 11.

Although the disabled cookies message never showed up for me.

Edited by demonicvampiregirl

Depending on how your system is set it may be cleaning out temporary internet files on a semi-regular basis. Helps keep thinngs unclogged and running smoothly (although it does mean you need to log back in everywhere again).

I came home from church tonight and had to log in to every site (including Dragon Cave and the forums) that remember me. When I went to the ESPN site and tried logging back into it, I was told that I needed to enable cookies. I never disabled cookies, but figured out how to enable them after visiting the Mozilla Firefox site. Anyway, I am using the latest version of Firefox, 17.0.1, and I've never had any problems getting auto logged out before this evening. Any ideas?

I found that happened when I updated to firefox 16. I think the upgrade sort of purged stuff. The REALLY annoying one was a special secret bank cookie. Do you think I could remember my ID number ?????

BUMP! From ME! The topic starter! Man, Did I have horrid typing skills 2 years ago.

Edited by maustin89

My daughter is buying her Minecrafting son a new lappie. She asked me if an HD 3000 Graphics card is good enough for Minecraft..

I have NO IDEA. Is it ? Anyone know ?

My daughter is buying her Minecrafting son a new lappie. She asked me if an HD 3000 Graphics card  is good enough for Minecraft..

I have NO IDEA. Is it ? Anyone know ?

I'm guessing the HD 3000 graphics card she's referring to is the integrated card that comes with an i-series intel processor. I think it's unlikely to be able to run Minecraft very well - integrated graphics solutions are not normally up to much more than running HD video. For gaming purposes, you normally need a discrete card (so an nVidia GT or GTX, or AMD Radeon). Minecraft is pretty heavy on the RAM usage too - so don't skimp on that either.

For reference, the min-specs of minecraft are actually pretty low, but it's not all that much fun playing at the bottom end of things. So in summary - it might run it, but not very well. I'd go for the recommended of at least 4 gig of ram, and some sort of discrete graphics card.

(Edited for typos!)

Edited by Zaxian

The laptop I'm using atm (about 2 1/2 years old) has 4GB ram and Intel Graphics Media Accelerator and, with OptiFine, I can play Minecraft at normal view distance with not a whole lot of lag. I do get spikes now and again, though. But I would recommend getting a video card.

Horrible, sad truth: I've used Intel's integrated graphics all my life...I've never used anything else...I need a change...

Oh. Right... Um...

Thanks. The WEBSITE seems to think it should be OK, but I will pass this on.

He IS only 12....

Oh. Right... Um...

Thanks. The WEBSITE seems to think it should be OK, but I will pass this on.

He IS only 12....

Well, the website says it's within minimum spec but the recommended spec says: GPU : GeForce 6xxx or ATI Radeon 9xxx and up with OpenGL 2 Support (Excluding Integrated Chipsets).

Looking at this page of the minecraft wiki: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Hardware...re_requirements it looks like some people are running an HD 3000 with mixed results - it looks like it depends a lot on the rest of the specs if you're relying on the integrated graphics, and how willing you are to turn down the settings. For example, a typical low-ish end laptop spec: Windows 7 Home Premium, Intel i3-2310m, Intel HD 3000, 4GB ram, resolution 1366 x 768 is only running at 10-20 fps (which isn't great - generally 30fps is regarded as playable). Or another, higher spec but still not running brilliantly: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Intel Core i7-2670QM 2.20 Ghz, Intel HD 3000 Graphics, 8 GB RAM, resolution 1366x768 is at 15-35 fps or 10-15 fps when maximised.

As a side note, the minecraft mod optifine (also mentioned by Ali'i): http://minecraftoptifine.com/ can help minecraft run well on an integrated/lower-end card.

I guess life would be a lot easier if I were a player and could CHECK....

Thank you all. Passing this stuff along.