maustin89

Computer and tech talk and questions

I have Firefox 17 and my mouse is acting up it double clicks on it's own still. Could that cause Firefox to crash if I'm opening up tabs or closing them and it crashes? It's done that 3 times in 3 days and it's getting annoying.

I have Firefox 17 and my mouse is acting up it double clicks on it's own still. Could that cause Firefox to crash if I'm opening up tabs or closing them and it crashes? It's done that 3 times in 3 days and it's getting annoying.

I would say yes. It may be sort of doing something like a keyboard shortcut. I have something similar on my machine; I have two keyboard languages installed and somewhere there has to be a keyboard shortcut that switched them. I wish I could find and disable it, as I type too fast for my fingers (and not that well...) and quite often I will look up and find loads of É instead of ? mad.gif

Maybe whatever the mouse is doing is triggering "lock firefox" or something. Try changing its reaction speed in the control panel ?

I would say yes. It may be sort of doing something like a keyboard shortcut. I have something similar on my machine; I have two keyboard languages installed and somewhere there has to be a keyboard shortcut that switched them. I wish I could find and disable it, as I type too fast for my fingers (and not that well...) and quite often I will look up and find loads of É instead of ? mad.gif

Maybe whatever the mouse is doing is triggering "lock firefox" or something. Try changing its reaction speed in the control panel ?

It didn't crash yet today so so far so good. I cleaned all the old history out past this month, cleaned out the temp internet files and ran a registry cleaner. So hopefully it doesn't do that today. I'm hoping it's just being a picky little brat right now.

My piece of crap supposdly called a 'computer' has 2 1/2 GB. I try to play MINECRAFT on it xd.png

Does anyone have a security software they recommend better than

Norton 360 for a PC?

Norton 360 for a PC?

Yes.

Avira or Avast for antivirus; malwarebytes for malware.

All free. I like AVG, but I knwo some here disagree xd.png

Firewall - zonealarm, comodo - but the built in one with windows is actually fine as long as you have decent AV and malware - see above.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-firewall.htm

There's also adaware for malware, which I gather now includes antivirus. I used to have that but switched to malwarebytes.

Why pay when you don't hafta ?

Norton 360 for a PC?

Anything is better than Norton tongue.gif

But more seriously, I'll echo what Fuzzbucket said - Avira, Avast or AVG are the big three 'free' ones.

I personally use Avira because (from what I've read) it's got the best detection rate (although there's not much in it) and I've never found it to impact performance. Cons of avira: it's a bit slow to run a full system scan with it, and everytime it updates it pops up an advert asking you to upgrade. It is possible to turn them off with a registry hack, but I've never found them annoying enough to bother.

Anything is better than Norton tongue.gif

But more seriously, I'll echo what Fuzzbucket said - Avira, Avast or AVG are the big three 'free' ones.

I personally use Avira because (from what I've read) it's got the best detection rate (although there's not much in it) and I've never found it to impact performance. Cons of avira: it's a bit slow to run a full system scan with it, and everytime it updates it pops up an advert asking you to upgrade. It is possible to turn them off with a registry hack, but I've never found them annoying enough to bother.

I like avira not least because while it scans, it says "Luke Filewalker is ...." (I forget what he says he's doing, but it always makes me giggle !)

I also recommend avast as the only one that works with Win2000 - something I still need on one of my machines !

Avira NEVER asks me to upgrade. Maybe it knows me too well... smile.gif It offers me free business cards !

Edited by fuzzbucket

I need some help with Adobe Flash. Yesterday Firefox decided that if you have a outdated version it disabled your Flash on it's own and made it near impossible to use it without having to click the screen to get the message that it's out of date to go away. Well I tried to re-enable it and it still does that. So I got fed up and tried to install the latest version. I cannot get it to install.

I tried 3-4 times and nothing ever worked for me. It would come up give me a Internet Explorer Script Error and give me a Yes/No option either one I clicked it sat there and did nothing.

The error appears like this:

Internet Explorer Script Error

Line: 2

Char: 15780

http :/ /12.0. 0.1:1054/app/index. html

The number after the : can change to these three:

Anyone got any suggestions or help? I tried on the Firefox forums and so far no help. I even made Firefox the default browser instead of Internet Explorer to see if it would help and nothing. I downloaded it from Firefox and I seen somewhere that with one program that if you downloaded it from Firefox it wouldn't work. Could this be the same issue with the Adobe Flash installer? I mean the one program was from a long time ago and I never used it either way but it was posted on the site itself that it wouldn't work if downloaded through Firefox.

I broke the URL up so it wasn't clickable.

Edited by demonicvampiregirl

Do you always use Firefox? There are other browsers that use Adobe Flash, too. I don't use Firefox, but I can help with Google Chrome and Internet Explorer.

Sometimes it's a computer problem. Some downloads don't download on computers/laptops like the Mac.

I use Firefox primarily and have Chrome, Opera and Internet Explorer. I try to stick with Firefox and will if I can but until I can figure out if it will install I may have to switch to Chrome. Chromes is up to date it does it on it's own.

Edit: I have finally gotten it fixed. My father found a alternate download link that I had missed on Firefox's help page and it is now up to date and working properly. biggrin.gif Now I can stop using Chrome! xd.png

Edited by demonicvampiregirl

I was playing Wow when suddenly this happened. Can anyone tell me what might be happening here?

Probably the video card overloading and shutting down. Could have over heated if it was plugged with dirt. The resolution could be set to high (my dads suggestion). Try updating the drivers and cleaning it out.

I cleaned it about a week ago. I'll open it and double check that everything is ok.

Edit: Temperature was good and there wasn't too much dust on it.

A few months ago it had a different monitor that was blacking out occasionally. Might not be related, but I am wondering now if they are.

Edited by crazyflower

What are you specs?

RAM: 4 Gb

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.2 GHz

Video Card: Radeon HD 5770

Hard Drive Space: Approximately 1.5 Tb

Monitor: Acer 1680x1050

PSU: 600 Watts

It is only about a year and a half old. The monitor is about two years old. Previous monitor which issues were first noticed was six years old.

I suppose it could be the monitor. You did make sure everything's connected correctly, right?

Would give you an excuse to upgrade, anyway.

RAM: 4 Gb

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 3.2 GHz

Video Card: Radeon HD 5770

Hard Drive Space: Approximately 1.5 Tb

Monitor: Acer 1680x1050

PSU: 600 Watts

It is only about a year and a half old. The monitor is about two years old. Previous monitor which issues were first noticed was six years old.

If you could try getting a new video card that may be the problem. I had one that messed up after about 2 1/2 years of use so that could very well be the issue.

If you could try getting a new video card that may be the problem. I had one that messed up after about 2 1/2 years of use so that could very well be the issue.

I doubt it, the 5770 isn't really a bad card. It should be able to handle WoW, at least, though maybe not at max.

I doubt it, the 5770 isn't really a bad card. It should be able to handle WoW, at least, though maybe not at max.

My old card was a Radeon HD 3650 (current one is Radeon HD 6570) and it still started to mess up (once it gave me a black screen as if the monitor shut off but the comp was still on (only occurred once) and other times it wouldn't let me play a game I could before hand and it would lock the comp up and give me some error screen after going black and coming back up, it would do that on YouTube (did it twice I think) and when I had scanned the comp and went to do something in a file). Computer parts can break at any time even after a month of use. :/ Stupid thing. xd.png

I wonder if this should go here....

So I have an IPad. I've had it for a while. Now, all of a sudden, ANY charger doesn't work. It's not charging, and it'll die. Is there something wrong with my IPad or the chargers? My Ipad was FINE yesterday, I used the same chargers and it was charging. I used the chargers this morning, too.

Edited by girlfairy76

Does the charger look bent or thin? I've had it happen not too long ago with my mom's Ipad, and it turned out that the wires inside the charger were broken from too much bending.

Does the charger look bent or thin? I've had it happen not too long ago with my mom's Ipad, and it turned out that the wires inside the charger were broken from too much bending.

Well, one of them is kinda broken and you have to hold it to charge, the other one has a strong rubber around it and we bent it too much so it always curves. But the one with the thick rubber was working yesterday and this morning, so it should still work.

Yes, I think that too much bending is the problem. I think you can call Apple(?) to tell them that they need to fix it. Otherwise, I hope it gets working soon sad.gif

Yes well, we have a PERFECT, NEW, charger, and it doesn't work. The bent one worked on my sister's Ipad until I took it out and put it back in. The other doesn't either. And this IPad is almost going to die.....