maustin89

Computer and tech talk and questions

What type of programming would you like to do?

For gaming you should learn C and Unity.

For web apps (eg. Facebook, twitter, etc..) you should checkout HTML5, Javascript and Node.JS (this is server side but uses javascript).

For desktop software you should learn C# (For windows), if you're on Mac checkout Obj-C and Coca and if you want to dev for Linux Python would be your best shot.

I think I'd like to start with more web stuff, maybe start with web design before I move to actual apps but yes I have always wanted to learn game programming but I'm terrible at math and I heard that 2D gaming is okay but 3D gaming is where you really need the math

Anyone here write apps for ipod touch? There's one I want to make, but I'd rather have some specific pointers rather than learning everything just to write one simple app.

I think I'd like to start with more web stuff, maybe start with web design before I move to actual apps but yes I have always wanted to learn game programming but I'm terrible at math and I heard that 2D gaming is okay but 3D gaming is where you really need the math

Well web design isn't really programming but if you want to learn you're going to need to read some CSS3 and HTML5 tutorials online.

I hope this doesn't offend you but if you aren't good at mathematics don't try to do 3D Game Programming.

Most types of Programming will not require you to be good at mathematics, you just have to be good with logic problems but there are two exceptions to that: Low Level Programming (ASM, C, etc..) and 3D Game Programming.

If you still want to pursue 3D game making check out Unity3D or UDK, if you would like to do 2D game making checkout tutorials on making games in Python.

Anyone here write apps for ipod touch? There's one I want to make, but I'd rather have some specific pointers rather than learning everything just to write one simple app.

I have written an iOS app but not a normal one. I used a development kit called Phonegap where instead of learning a new programming language (Objective-C) you can write it in HTML5 and Javascript but it still has the ability to use all the iOS features (eg. Locations, movement, etc..).

What type of app you would like to create? It may be possible to do in just Javascript and HTML5 instead of learning a new programming language.

I don't really know any programming language. I've taken some javascript classes, that's all. Although since I have some javascript text books I could probably look up what I need.

In basics it's an app that runs in the background and if the microphone pics up a noise louder than x decibels it pauses the music program being run for y amount of time. If pausing the music isn't possible then it would mute the system.

Wishing I had a basket full of CB Golds to sprinkle on everyone in this thread.

Thanks guys, especially Shato, for all your advice.

When I told Dell I had some tech programmers suggest it may be the

video card going out, they did more testing and changed their tune.

Dell now agrees it may his video card and will be replacing it.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by grammydragon

Well web design isn't really programming but if you want to learn you're going to need to read some CSS3 and HTML5 tutorials online.

I hope this doesn't offend you but if you aren't good at mathematics don't try to do 3D Game Programming.

Most types of Programming will not require you to be good at mathematics, you just have to be good with logic problems but there are two exceptions to that: Low Level Programming (ASM, C, etc..) and 3D Game Programming.

If you still want to pursue 3D game making check out Unity3D or UDK, if you would like to do 2D game making checkout tutorials on making games in Python.

Lol I know, web design isn't really in line with programming but do you know what math would be required for 3D game programming and the like? I heard everything from just basic algebra (which I can do) and then all the way up to calculus (which I can't do)

What I find incredibly stupid is, at least at the school I'm going to, they require BC calc to take programming classes. Not all programming requires that much math. And if your goal is a field that does you'll take the math.

What I find incredibly stupid is, at least at the school I'm going to, they require BC calc to take programming classes. Not all programming requires that much math. And if your goal is a field that does you'll take the math.

I wanted to be a software engineer but heard I'll only need algebra level math yet I'd be required to take a calculus course and was basically told by someone else that with my problem (I'm dyscalculic, like dyslexia but with numbers) it would be almost impossible for me so I kinda don't know where to go now, I'm really good with troubleshooting but that's the extent of my talents :/

Thats an incredible simplistic view of a complex system.

If you just want partial education, dont go and learn it at school. Math is at the core of good programming, yes you can get by without it, but thats like getting a car to drive on only one intact tyre.

As for your app, it typically is easier to just find one that does about the same then program it yourself.

Mine is so specialized and unusual that I don't expect there would be something already existing that does what I need. However, I imagine it would be relatively simple so I was hoping to find someone who does know that kind of programming to point me in the right direction.

And my dad worked as a computer scientist and said that in the field there is everything from areas that need almost no math to areas that need a double major with math. To me if all programming does not require BC calc to do then BC calc should not be a requirement for a programming degree. It shuts out people who might be great programmers in the non-math areas but are bad at math. However, it would be a requirement for employers who are hiring for the kinds of programming that need the math.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Incidentally, people who are very bad at maths are usually bad programmers. While your dads statement is true (no actual math is needed in many areas), the same concepts have to be applied. Take for example set theory: the same concepts (union, difference, intersection) are used in everything to do with databases and data retrieval.

Btw: here, every pupil has to learn most of your bc calc contents (looked it up) to earn university admission at all - which really is not even related to say, a language study.

"Bad at math" can mean several things. Basically, what determines whether or not a bad-at-math person can be a decent programmer is whether the said person has troubles with understanding how the things work or is, say, just bad at doing calculations in mind.

If you have a solved mathematical problem written out in full before you and the internet at hand, but two hours afterwards you still do not know how the result was reached, you will make a poor programmer.

If you cannot multiply 25 with 46 without a calculator, or at least a paper and a pen... Well, that is something what an average person should be able to do, but chances are you aren't a completely hopeless case as far as programming is concerned. Nobody forbids you from using a calculator there.

I get that argument a lot, when discussing about my field or my test for new employees.

Counting/calculations in your mind is good for grocery shopping, but thats it. It has no impact on your general math-skills at all.

I heard that Firefox 25 was supposed to be changing the layout of it. Does anyone have it that can confirm that? I seen on a website it was getting a complete overhaul.

Anyone can help please?

There is some place where you can find the identity or address for an

IP address.

I seem to recall seeing it when we did ping testing a long long time ago.

Does anyone know how I can find who belongs to a particular IP address?

They tried to change the password on some of my online log-ins.

Anyone can help please?

IP address.

I don't think there would be a way without "hacking"

nyone can help please?

IP address.

There are a few ways and first off I need to explain the misconceptions about IP addresses.

Just because you have some ones IP does not mean you can just put it in some program and press hack.

It doesn't mean you can just put it in some website and press "Find location".

Usually this person's IP will belong to their ISP (Internet Service Provider), it will also probably be dynamic. Dynamic means that their IP changes regularly so if you still have it, it now probably belongs to some one else.

What you can do is first off enter their IP into whois.sc and find the name of their ISP, if they didn't use a proxy this will be easy if not you wont be able to find out who they are.

First email the ISP with evidence of their IP accessing you account and the time it happened. The ISP will keep a log of which IP belonged to who at which time. All you have to do is request that they give you their information but the ISP may not agree, the next stage would be to threaten with legal action and if they still deny you should take legal action (if that is what you truly desire).

This is the only to find out who they are way unless they used a static IP which to be honest they probably didn't do since anyone who did that would be extremely stupid (for many reasons).

The address you probably saw in the website you went to was the adress of their ISP location not their location.

I need help:

I right clicked the open a closed tab, but now the "Reopen closed tab" option button won't go away. I mean it's just stuck on the screen. No matter where I go; browser, desktop, etc. I haven't tried re-starting the computer because it's such a pain on this slow computer and takes forever. Is there some other way other than shutting down to get rid of this?

I need help:

I right clicked the open a closed tab, but now the "Reopen closed tab" option button won't go away. I mean it's just stuck on the screen. No matter where I go; browser, desktop, etc. I haven't tried re-starting the computer because it's such a pain on this slow computer and takes forever. Is there some other way other than shutting down to get rid of this?

Go to task manger and look for all the applications with your browsers name (for chrome this will be a few, IE only one, Firefox one).

Close all of them and then reopen your browser if it doesn't work you gonna have to restart your browser.

http s://dl.d ropboxuserco ntent .com

Anyone know what the heck that is? I was trying to reblog something on tumblr from a friend of mine and that kept coming up. Idk what it is at all.

Broke it up so it wasn't clickable as I don't have a clue if it's a virus or what.

Edited by demonicvampiregirl

It separates out to dropbox user content, so I assume it's something from somebody's dropbox. Not sure how dropbox interacts with tumblr, though, or why it would come up when you select reblog. Maybe try clearing cookies and trying again?

You can find more info on what dl.dropboxusercontent does here: https://www.dropbox.com/help/201/en

In addition, if you were reblogging an image, the image may have been hosted on Dropbox. But I don't use Tumblr, so I'm not entirely sure how it works.

Basically, to answer your question, the link that you posted is completely safe, however because Dropbox is a file hosting service, it is possible to get viruses from it.

But 99% of the time you won't ^o^