Pink

Description block.

Sorry, this is what happens when you mess up your tabs.

I want to help come up with something for Head meets desk, but it'll have to wait a few hours.

I'm being dragged out the door in about 2 minutes so I can't do it just yet.

No problem. biggrin.gif

Do you have any specifics you would like me to include?

(I think frustration should be included, but... anything else?)

Do you have any specifics you would like me to include?

(I think frustration should be included, but... anything else?)

As long as I get a good giggle out of it, anything is okay. smile.gif

Hm. I am having a bit of block...I'm trying to decide which of the dragons in my scroll to do next. I can do anything, and can figure it out, as soon as I pick a dragon...

Currently with pending descriptions/waiting for something, and therefore aren't eligible to be a solution:

Isline (pending)

Antimone Anastasios (pending)

Gelum (pending)

Lennan (pending)

Lady Jaromira (pending)

Alinda Shieldtail (I'm waiting to see if she and Egon can be mates, or just friends, or what)

Egon (see above)

Link to scroll is in my sig.

As long as I get a good giggle out of it, anything is okay. smile.gif

Alright, I'll try to write you up something and message it to you in the morning during writing time.

Good night!

@d3m3

How about Kawr? I love the name, and would like to learn her story. Xeiv would be interesting, too, I think - so many potentially neat stories for a nocturne. Failing that, how about Polum? I'd love to see how a pygmy fits in to your ongoing stories.

As for Golden Brynhildr, what sort of things did you have in mind for her?

Sorry, I forgot that I had placed her name in here and wrote one myself. You can forget about her. smile.gif

@d3m3

How about Kawr? I love the name, and would like to learn her story. Xeiv would be interesting, too, I think - so many potentially neat stories for a nocturne. Failing that, how about Polum? I'd love to see how a pygmy fits in to your ongoing stories.

I actually have plans for Xeiv in the next few days, so that's coming up... Hmm... Kawr, huh? Yeah, I could work with her. Possibly, I'll work on her and Polum at once, as a non-breeding bond of some sort.

Alright, I'll try to write you up something and message it to you in the morning during writing time.

Good night!

This is what I came up with, in case anyone is interested.

Head meets Desk is a dragon plagued with frustration and ill-luck. No matter what she does, she fails. When she tries to breathe fire, only warm wind will come out. When she tries to fly, she'll fall down. When she tries to hunt she'll get distracted by bright, pretty, yellow butterflies. Naturally this constant lack of success at ANYTHING causes her a great deal of frustration, and she has developed what some might consider an 'odd' way of coping. She discovered as a young hatchling that banging her head against hard, smooth surfaces would cause her to forgot her troubles momentarily (due to losing some 10,000 braincells). So she goes about her day, bungling everything she does hopelessly and then ramming her large, horned head into whatever random, hard surface she can find.

This habit has caused her to break two cave walls, knock down over 40 large trees and anger three stone dragons, in the process of feeding it.

Edited by Pink

Pink needs help with coming up for a description for this little guy: Wimpy.

He's not frozen so he will grow up, but I plan to start writing his description ahead of time.

I only need to include three main elements: His name, and the fact that he was the sole surviving ND egg out of 6 who almost made it (but didn't quite).

Also, I had planned to make his description contrasting to his name (where's extremely hardy), but I realized that would also be against the species description.

This breed of dragon results from eggs or hatchlings that have been neglected. They are usually rebellious, not obeying their masters, sometimes even attacking them. However, their neglect as a hatchling leaves them crippled, and they are weak compared to other breeds, causing them to stay with their masters for protection.

So it has to be rebellious, weak and wimpy, yet hardy?

How should I work this...?

It also needs to be funny so... This is difficult.

Pink needs help with coming up for a description for this little guy: Wimpy.

He's not frozen so he will grow up, but I plan to start writing his description ahead of time.

I only need to include three main elements: His name, and the fact that he was the sole surviving ND egg out of 6 who almost made it (but didn't quite).

Also, I had planned to make his description contrasting to his name (where's extremely hardy), but I realized that would also be against the species description.

So it has to be rebellious, weak and wimpy, yet hardy?

How should I work this...?

It also needs to be funny so... This is difficult.

I would focus on his strength of will, then? It takes willpower to survive, after all. Maybe he resents his own weak body and physical limitations? I'm not sure how to make it funny though.

This isn't a specific description, but it does involve several descriptions, so I'll post it here.

Names aren't my strong point - there's a reason why most of my scroll is named after their code. I can usually come up with names for my dragons, after some thought, but where I'm running into trouble is with place names and group names.

Right now, I have several magi dragons who are part of a large group of magi dragons dedicated to preserving and teaching to other magis all the accumulated spell-knowledge of their breed. Right now, this group is called the Magi Collective, which is not only completely uninspired but also brings up connotations of assimilation - not what I had in mind. I've also come up with Goldenmage Association (the founder had the surname Goldenmage), which I like better, but "association" sounds too human.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions - I have four descriptions that are ready to be submitted once I figure out what the group is going to be called. Something involving "Goldenmage" would be nice, but I'd also welcome anything creative that suggests/reflects what the group does.

This isn't a specific description, but it does involve several descriptions, so I'll post it here.

Names aren't my strong point - there's a reason why most of my scroll is named after their code.  I can usually come up with names for my dragons, after some thought, but where I'm running into trouble is with place names and group names. 

Right now, I have several magi dragons who are part of a large group of magi dragons dedicated to preserving and teaching to other magis all the accumulated spell-knowledge of their breed.  Right now, this group is called the Magi Collective, which is not only completely uninspired but also brings up connotations of assimilation - not what I had in mind.  I've also come up with Goldenmage Association (the founder had the surname Goldenmage), which I like better, but "association" sounds too human.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions - I have four descriptions that are ready to be submitted once I figure out what the group is going to be called.  Something involving "Goldenmage" would be nice, but I'd also welcome anything creative that suggests/reflects what the group does.

Hmm... Goldenmage...

Goldenmage Guild perhaps?

Goldenmage union?

Edited by Pink

Thanks. Goldenmage Guild might work, and I'll certainly keep it in mind. I might just have to find where my thesaurus wandered off to and look up synonyms for group. I have the hardest time coming up with creative place names. The town where dragons and humans are working on living peacefully together is called Dragontown, Highrock Weyr is a small patch of barely fertile land surrounded by mountains (obviously never got past the working title on this one), and the Year's Children live in Yearhome.

Sorry I don't have any suggestions for Wimpy - my descriptions don't ever get more than mildly whimsical, so I don't have any advice for writing a humorous one. I'd second tiktokism's idea of focusing on his willpower.

I'm not sure if I should ever include names of places in my personal dragon mythology -- I'm not sure they've given their territory a name or not, though I know that the formal name of the Flight is "The Earthlady's Flight," because my scrollname is derived from an abreviation of my nickname, Demeter. Probably something I should think about.

I have 16 different groups (separated by skywings on my scroll) and counting, so names are definitely necessary. (Okay, so two of the groups are "Travelers" and "Miscellaneous" - that's still quite a bit to keep track of). I finally tracked down my thesaurus, and I realized I rather like the sound of Goldenmage Assembly (unless anybody has any other suggestions - still open to ideas).

Okay - getting back to the original purpose of this thread. I actually do have a dragon I'm having a little trouble with. I like skywings, but I'm getting to the point where I'm having trouble making them all different. I have friendly skywings, belligerent skywings, intrepid skywings, skywings who deliver messages (and one who's the founder of her own message service), a skywing who likes long journeys, a skywing who likes the cold, a skywing who likes the ocean, a skywing with perfect memory, a skywing with no sense of direction - you get the idea.

Right now, I'm stuck on ideas for Narea of the Azure Skies - I know that she's not belligerent or mean (and probably rather light-hearted), and I know a very little bit about her family background, but that's it. I've built descriptions before from this little information, but not this time.

Here's her mate, if that helps: Ralvec Vulturnis (though I don't just want to describe her in terms of her mate).

(Funny - I have far more than 15 magis, and I never have this problem with them)

(Oh, and d3m3? I'd wondered about your scrollname - now I know where it came from)

Oh, Wimpy already got a description.

From what you described of her, I immediately thought she was a bit silly and childish.

Would that work for her?

From what you desribed of Narea of the Azure Skies she seems to be rather a quiet,shy,ditzy dragon. You could describe that as her personality traits in your description for her.

Hmm... I haven't been showing up on the proofreading thread for the last week or so, mainly because I just can't seem to write anything without it sounding stupid or cliche.

Now, I think I'm starting to get back some juice, but I unfortunately have no idea where to start writing for my 133 description-less dragons (and considering that I have hatchlings that are going to mature soon...)

Some of them already have personalities, and I just haven't find the right words for them (Tobias Greensleeves, Pranae and Gaxuri are a few examples); however, I simply haven't given much thought to the characters of quite a few, especially the newer ones. Normally this wouldn't annoy me so much, but I hate having a scroll full of nameless extras in the story of my dragon cave; and without some outside stimulation I usually only have a few character archetypes that I can really call to mind (which, as you can imagine, get old very quickly after the fifth carbon-copy).

So I have a question: could somebody pick a random one of my dragons, and then a short verb or noun or something (like 'chocolate cake,' or 'funny face,' or 'defenestration')? If it's a dragon that already has a personality, I'll just incorporate that somehow; if it's one that doesn't, I'll try and think of a quirky personality based off of those words.

Geeze, I'm long-winded. And that probably made no sense whatsoever. D:

Hmm... I haven't been showing up on the proofreading thread for the last week or so, mainly because I just can't seem to write anything without it sounding stupid or cliche.

Now, I think I'm starting to get back some juice, but I unfortunately have no idea where to start writing for my 133 description-less dragons (and considering that I have hatchlings that are going to mature soon...)

Some of them already have personalities, and I just haven't find the right words for them (Tobias Greensleeves, Pranae and Gaxuri are a few examples); however, I simply haven't given much thought to the characters of quite a few, especially the newer ones. Normally this wouldn't annoy me so much, but I hate having a scroll full of nameless extras in the story of my dragon cave; and without some outside stimulation I usually only have a few character archetypes that I can really call to mind (which, as you can imagine, get old very quickly after the fifth carbon-copy).

So I have a question: could somebody pick a random one of my dragons, and then a short verb or noun or something (like 'chocolate cake,' or 'funny face,' or 'defenestration')? If it's a dragon that already has a personality, I'll just incorporate that somehow; if it's one that doesn't, I'll try and think of a quirky personality based off of those words.

Geeze, I'm long-winded. And that probably made no sense whatsoever. D:

I'll do it.

I shall mail you the list though, as that's just easier for me.

tongue.gif

Okie-dokie! Thank you! You mean PM, or actual e-mail? (Sorry if it's kind of a stupid question; I swear, my family dyes my hair brunette when I'm asleep. xd.png)

Edited by Carnivorous M.

Okie-dokie! Thank you! You mean PM, or actual e-mail? (Sorry if it's kind of a stupid question; I swear, my family dyes my hair brunette when I'm asleep. xd.png)

PM.

I don't use people's email addresses unless I'm given permission beforehand and I have a reason to (such as transferring eggs).

Carnivorous M., can I get in on the fun too? It won't be until later this week or this weekend, but I'd love to contribute some ideas.

(@Pink, mojojojo: Narea got her description, by the way - I might post it for feedback in the proofreading thread later this week. She turned out sweet, happy, and a little flighty.)

Got another one for you description geniuses to (literally) sink your teeth into...

Tragic Nightmare: A former CB Femme Daydream turned vampire.

If you can incorporate the fact she was a Daydream, all the better.

Here's my thoughts. I imagine her as being very persuasive, easily able to force dragons to do things they don't want to do (and afterwards, it can be like a "tragic nightmare" for them when they realize what they've done). Not sure if magic needs to be involved - she could just be a very persuasive speaker. Her voice might not be beautiful, but still strangely compelling - something like that.

If you wanted to make her evil, she could take delight in the things she forces other dragons to do. If not, the effect she causes could be (mostly) unconscious or prone to easily getting out of her control.

Here's hoping there's something here that sparks your creativity.

(@Carnivorous M.: Can I help with some of your descriptionless dragons, too? I should have some time tomorrow to look over your scroll.)