Pink

Description block.

I know probably just about everyone has had it at one point or the other, if you've ever tried to write a description.

There's just that one dragon (or more) that you cannot think up a description for at all.

That's where we come in.

Here we can help each other come up with ideas for writing descriptions.

So... bring that dragon whom you can't think up a description for to save your life and hopefully you won't have to. No, seriously, bring it in (via a handy link) and if you can give us a basic guideline of what you want for your dragon (Aka. He's loving, kind, and not diabolical, etc, etc. Basic stuff.) and we'll try to help with some ideas to spark your creativity.

(Yes, I made a bad joke. So?)

Notes to mods:

Checked everything in the site search for a similar board, and I couldn't find anything.

I didn't think it would go in multimedia as it's related to the site directly, but if it belongs there... Let me know. I thought it'd be a handy board to have either way. smile.gif

I'll start then.

I B STEALIN UR PRINCESS

This dragon has been giving me the worst time of all. Why?

Because I want something that goes along with his name, and isn't contrary to the species description.

Any ideas?

I don't even bother with descriptions... I'm just so creative. xd.png.png

PFT. Descriptions are fun to write, if you have the will to do it.

If you don't write them, perhaps you can help come up with ideas?

I'm sure you have lots of good ideas to share.

Edited by Pink

I support this thread. I know one day I will need it. So I'll also be willing to help, of course ^^

edit: Well...he could be interested in cultivating the fairytale-like image of his breed, and therefore threaten/pretend to steal princesses as a part of DRAGON PRIDE!

Edited by d3m3

I'll start then.

I B STEALIN UR PRINCESS

This dragon has been giving me the worst time of all of them. Why?

Because I want something that goes along with his name, and isn't contrary to the species description.

Any ideas?

How about:

I B STEALIN UR PRINCESSES steals princesses. Because to him, princesses are nom.

8D

I thought about that, but it won't work because red dragons don't steal princesses.

It says so in the species description.

*pokes it*

If he were a green or black dragon, it'd be completely normal, but this description says SPECIFICALLY that they don't steal princesses.

You can see how this is a problem, no?

Edited by Pink

Well... there's always an exception to the rule?

Or maybe something like 'I B STEALIN UR PRINCESSES, despite the way he is named, is a very crafty dragon. He is always looking for more gold (or something) to add to his hoard, but has trouble getting to it. The solution? He finds a princess who wants to get out of the castle every now and again, and in exchange for taking her on a tour of the outlying towns, she pretends to be kidnapped and negotiates a piece of the castle treasure in exchange for her 'safe release'.'

Something like that? xd.png A dragon who gets treasure by fake kidnappings.

Edited by Dr. Paine

I don't really think the breed definition is that specific. You could say 'contrary to the breed being contrary to the prototype, I B STEALIN UR PRINCESSES actually DOES steal princesses.' xd.png

I don't see why this negates my suggestion: he isn't interested in stealing princesses, so much as in the abstract, philosophical idea of princess stealing as a way to connect with the legendary image and display his pride in his species. He'd never actually go through with it, perhaps due to finding it too evil for his taste, but he wants to promote the idea that he does it or should be allowed to do it.

...Why am I reminded of Life of Brian?

Well... there's always an exception to the rule?

Or maybe something like 'I B STEALIN UR PRINCESSES, despite the way he is named, is a very crafty dragon. He is always looking for more gold (or something) to add to his hoard, but has trouble getting to it. The solution? He finds a princess who wants to get out of the castle every now and again, and in exchange for taking her on a tour of the outlying towns, she pretends to be kidnapped and negotiates a piece of the castle treasure in exchange for her 'safe release'.'

Something like that? xd.png A dragon who gets treasure by fake kidnappings.

Hehe.

That's actually a good idea.

Or perhaps he threatens the kingdom with taking the princess if they don't give him gold?

Either way could work, I suppose.

Sorry D3m3 I didn't see yours.

That could also work, excepting the fact that if I did try to write something like that I'd probably end up making him look like a fanatical maniac.

Edited by Pink

I'll start then.

I B STEALIN UR PRINCESS

This dragon has been giving me the worst time of all. Why?

Any ideas?

PFT. Descriptions are fun to write, if you have the will to do it.

If you don't write them, perhaps you can help come up with ideas?

I'm sure you have lots of good ideas to share.

Maybe he played too many video games where Mario had to save Peach? That's the first thing that came into my mind. And then you could go into detail about how he wants to be a bad guy just like Bowser or something :x

Just thoughts...

I don't see why this negates my suggestion: he isn't interested in stealing princesses, so much as in the abstract, philosophical idea of princess stealing as a way to connect with the legendary image and display his pride in his species. He'd never actually go through with it, perhaps due to finding it too evil for his taste, but he wants to promote the idea that he does it or should be allowed to do it.

...Why am I reminded of Life of Brian?

xd.png I didn't even see your edit.

Maybe he played too many video games where Mario had to save Peach? That's the first thing that came into my mind. And then you could go into detail about how he wants to be a bad guy just like Bowser or something :x

Just thoughts...

LOLZ. I thought of Peach, too! xd.png

Sorry, double post. >.<

Edited by Sunvera

Well maybe I'll try something similar after dinner. Should be interesting.

Nobody else has dragons they need help with? This is madness.

>:(

Well, since his daughter is supposedly the princess, you could incorporate that somehow? He steals dragon princesses, not human ones? Or he steals dragons/humans named/nicknamed princess, but not true princesses.

Well maybe I'll try something similar after dinner. Should be interesting.

Nobody else has dragons they need help with? This is madness.

>:(

I've been having trouble with Evergreen Holly and Ivy, a pair of Snow Angels x3 I want to work my (currently unnamed) Sweetling into it too, but it's driving me insane!

Holly would be a very... flamboyant dragon. Very showy, a bit vain. Ivy is much quieter and plain, I kind of want to work something in involving a dislike for her flashier wings.

The Sweetling will be... well, sweet xd.png Possibly on a literal scale, I see him taking an interest in making sweet treats. I'm hoping to work in how lucky of a catch he was- I had a five minute window of online time VDay, the site was lagging horribly, but I still got him. And even though I was snowed in without internet at my hotel longer than expected, he didn't die ^^ He would be Ivy's mate, and there might be some lament about how they cannot have children. (I assume sweetlings will be unbreedable with other holiday dragons...)

Edited by Dr. Paine

Sorry D3m3 I didn't see yours.

That could also work, excepting the fact that if I did try to write something like that I'd probably end up making him look like a fanatical maniac.

...Eh, well. I may use this idea for a red in the future, then. I like having the occaisonal well-meaning maniac.

So far (I'm so uncreative) I've written one description.

But it got accepted =D Described dragon of mine

I personally don't make writing descriptions a huge priority, but It'll be a good time-comsumer.

Edited by scratcher_cat

So far (I'm so uncreative) I've written one description.

But it got accepted =D Described dragon of mine

This is for people having trouble coming up with a description, not ones we've had accepted...

I've been having trouble with Evergreen Holly and Ivy, a pair of Snow Angels x3 I want to work my (currently unnamed) Sweetling into it too, but it's driving me insane!

Holly would be a very... flamboyant dragon. Very showy, a bit vain. Ivy is much quieter and plain, I kind of want to work something in involving a dislike for her flashier wings.

The Sweetling will be... well, sweet xd.png Possibly on a literal scale, I see him taking an interest in making sweet treats. I'm hoping to work in how lucky of a catch he was- I had a five minute window of online time VDay, the site was lagging horribly, but I still got him. And even though I was snowed in without internet at my hotel longer than expected, he didn't die ^^ He would be Ivy's mate, and there might be some lament about how they cannot have children. (I assume sweetlings will be unbreedable with other holiday dragons...)

Hmm... I like the sibling personalities. smile.gif I can imagine Ivy having a self-conscious problem if she hates her "flashier" wings. Probably thinks they're gaudy

and makes her look horrible.

And I can see your sweetling cooking ALL the time. Maybe whenever he gets nervous or stressed he would randomly begin whipping up brownies, cakes, cookies.

Hmm... I like the sibling personalities. smile.gif I can imagine Ivy having a self-conscious problem if she hates her "flashier" wings. Probably thinks they're gaudy

and makes her look horrible.

And I can see your sweetling cooking ALL the time. Maybe whenever he gets nervous or stressed he would randomly begin whipping up brownies, cakes, cookies.

... YES.

A nervous baker trying to woo an extremely shy, self-conscious Snow Angel, yes that works!

Thank you, that was a huge step forward! (Oh description limits... I might have to make a forum-exclusive version for the Sweetling's, because I totally want him to have spent time with the Portal dragons, and his obsessive cake-making has roots in GLaDOS ordering him around... god this is going to be fun.)

I'm trying to get all my event dragons described. So far I've finished my frozen sweetling/yulebuck (I don't have Christmas '09s) and my adult Valentine, and waiting on the other sweetling to mature, but no idea what to do with the adult Yulebuck.

His name is His Excellency, but I don't particularly want him to be haughty/arrogant, or alternately jolly Father Christmas, and my leader positions are all taken tongue.gif Any ideas?

Well, maybe he's kind of serious about his cheer-spreading, seeing it as a responsibility that he needs to fulfill with gentle care. Maybe he doesn't entirely understand why it's his responsibility, outside of his breed, but it is -- it's just innate to him. He may consider it even an unimportant responsibility -- it's a month, at most, of being useful. But it's his, and he's decided to take it as seriously.

Take what you like, leave what you don't. I tried to come up with an idea that counterminded cheer but avoids arrogance -- a guy working hard at an unimportant job because it's his job is a good balance, I think.

Alright, some basic descriptions (will probably have to be VERY cut down) for Ivy and Pastillage (named after a technique used in sugar sculpting biggrin.gif)

Feedback is seriously needed D: What should go, stay, should anything be added...

Ivy

While her twin can be found preening her wings until the feathers shine like true gold, Ivy is more likely to be found pouring all sorts of bleaching dyes over hers. The gold, green and red feathers attract more attention than this shy Snow Angel would ever want, and she envies the more elegant white and gold wings of some of her cousins.

Ivy rarely stays in one place too long, traveling all over to find somewhere she can be alone, or known for something other than her wings- a lifetime spent being praised for beauty has caused her to fear she is like her shallow, thoughtless sister. Her travels have led her to an unexpected place: the barren ApSci canyons, and under the watch of the sadistic GLaDOS. In a strange way, it was the best Ivy could hope for- her intelligence and endurance are put to the test, while her feathers grow dull and dusty. There's even a friend in it for her- after all, sugared cakes don't just make themselves, and there has to be someone making those sweet songs in the night...

Pastillage's 'official' description/history, which will be seriously cut down come real describing.

Caught by his caretaker in the midst of a terrifying blizzard, Pastillage was considered a near-saint of good fortune and joy by the cave, and a story that refused to be squashed soon sprung up: having one of his feathers, or even just touching him, would bring good fortune for years. Needless to say, when Pastillage finally understood just why he was being plucked bald, he left the cave and never looked back.

The rumors of his lucky being had never made it beyond his birth cave; but the pain of being plucked, along with simply too much attention, forever scarred the otherwise gentle Sweetling. If he passed by a colony of dragons and humans, he would never make himself known, other than sneaking a few sweet fruits when he could. Yet... he never lost the innate curiosity of a Sweetling. If he passed through a town, sometimes he would hide in a kitchen, and watch as the chefs created their dishes, marveling at their skill. His favorite hideouts were bakeries, where he soon plucked up the courage to learn the trade, lavishing all his attention on every sweet treat imaginable- cookies, cakes, pies, pastries, even magnificent creations of spun, pressed, and pulled sugar. He would always allow another to take the credit, and many towns hoped the ghost baker would stop by sometime; some even went so far as to leave out sugary foods in order to entice him.

Alas, no town will be seeing Pastillage's creations, at least, not for a very long time. He found a permanent home in the ApSci canyons, creating the most fantastic cakes he could for those who survive the tests, as well as catering to the residents of the canyon. He is not overly upset by how few are ever actually earned, all but one having been eaten by GLaDOS and her hatchlings- the joy is in creating them. Usually.

He has had to change his mind on that subject, ever since the arrival of a Snow Angel named Evergreen Ivy. Although her colorful appearance was what first struck him, he soon found himself drawn more to her determined attitude and her skill at solving the usually deadly tests. He would follow her progress, covering himself in soot so she wouldn't notice him among the dark rock, sometimes overhearing her when she spoke with the canyon's permanent residents; after months of this, he found himself absolutely in love with her.

Still too timid to say a word, or even allow her to see him, Pastillage expresses his longing the only way he knows how: by leaving small cakes dusted with pale pink sugar outside her cave, hoping he might one day be able to deliver them in person. Until then, he pours his love into the small cakes, and into the sweet songs he sings late at night for his Angel.

Oh, and character count?

It's over 2000. I need to lose over half of it D:

I might try incorporating my other Valentine, SomeoneAtAtSciLovesYou, into their story... her name and personality are just perfect xd.png

Edited by Dr. Paine