TheDarkCynder

Rats, Ferrets, Snakes, other exotic animals.

My brother has two ferrets for pets. Its a brother and sister. The female looks like a raccoon and the male looks like an opossum. They can get stinky if you don't clean them enough. I sometimes feed them. They get restless if they don't eat. LOL! They like to take naps during the day time. They sleep in weird positions. LOL! They are sometimes interesting to watch. They ended up staying at our house but they will leave when ever my bro leaves the house. LOL They have a big cage to with a playground inside it. They have a litter box to go bathroom in their cage. My favorite is the female. I like raccoons.

Draco, I am so envious! That little vixen is just the cutest thing ever!! Though I am not envious about the marking thing, I heard that foxes can make some wicked smells x.X lol. I never really thought about the legality of happening upon a motherless baby fox, all I know is that with a permit I would be able to own a fox where I live (South Carolina). I'm sure I could get a baby fox from a breeder or something nearby- I'm definitely not going all the way to Russia for one of their domestic foxes.

Our salt water tank had all sorts of different things. We had hawk fish, tangs (hippo, powder blue, yellow, chevron), flame angels, firefish, emerald crabs, peppermint shrimp, cleaner shrimp, clown fish, gobies, blennies, pajama cardinals, blue damsels, all sorts of fish! We had a starfish once, a red feather star- it was so awesome to watch it swimming! Unfortunately it got caught in one of the fans that create a current in the tank, very very sad. I think we lost three things to those fans!

The coral was really nice too, we had this one orange sponge coral, and we had a brain coral, a beautiful big clam, flower pots, bubble anemone- my mom freaked out when it moved, she didn't think that anemone moved and that it would be stationary. The centerpiece of the tank was a giant leather coral, after there were no more anemone our clown fish ended up making the leather it's home.

They send out the Russian foxes. It's more like you don't want the price-tag on them, really! Last I checked it was over $6000, but it might have gone down not that there are a few in the States.

They send out the Russian foxes. It's more like you don't want the price-tag on them, really! Last I checked it was over $6000, but it might have gone down not that there are a few in the States.

As of yesterday, it was $8,900 from the only people(Mitch in Florida) I know that actually import them into the US. Not sure how much it would be to import it yourself, but the process is complicated, and I'm not even sure the Russian Institute would sell to someone who isn't Mitch(I think they have a partnership as exclusive importers, or something).

Ooh see I read on their website, or a website about the foxes, that in order to adopt one you would need to go to Russia yourself and bring it back with you. I think what you're talking about is maybe mass transport? Not exactly like getting a bunch at once, but like... just getting more than one for yourself/friend/family? I think if a person wants to deal with the institute directly and not use a middle man it's possible.

I've got seven ferrets now.. but two are going to the ferret shelter as they are only Temporary fosters.

My most recent pics of them are in this banner that i've got for another forum

user posted image

Leia is ten years old and 7 months

Lydia is about five

Stiv is five

Coda is almost Seven smile.gif

and Tubsock is 3 1/2!

I still have my two little finches and my two cockatiels and my two rabbits

(my cats don't count as they aren't exotic)

And any ferret owners out there, this is a great forum:

Holisticferret60.proboards.com

and here is a link to the rest of the pictures of them if you'd like to see!

http://holisticferret60.proboards.com/thre...-picture-attack

Edited by IcarusTheDragon

Aww those ferrets are so cute!!

Draco, is that where you got your fox?

OMG Those ferrets are all too cute! I adore ferrets, if I didn't have the time and resource black hole that is Tribble I'd have ferrets. I'm insanely jealous, IcarusTheDragon.

Cecona, no I didn't get Tribble from them, Tribble is a regular old gray fox from the states(I gor her from a breeder in Ohio).

It would probably be cheaper to get an American bred fox, might actually be less hassle to get a fennec fox instead of a red or gray fox. I know that you can litter train a fennec and it could be considered more indoors than a regular fox. Plus they are so small and cute with those giant ears. <3

http://www.domesticfox.com/

Those are the only guys I know that have imported them successively, and they do have to travel and personally pick up the foxes they are importing.

Hm, I must have my wires crossed. I can't remember anyone's names, but I remember an incident with one of the foxes ending up in a zoo after an issue with the airport, so that's why I was thinking about airport shipping.

That sounds really cool! A portable play area is an awesome idea, and even if you can't do that a modified chicken run is also a good plan B.

So you have decided to go into a little breeding in a few years? That's actually really exciting! biggrin.gif

That enclosure, to put it into one word, is awesome! I love how she plays along with the dogs, she's very quick on her feet. I looked through some of your other videos, I never imagined foxes sounded like that!

Yes I have, although it's not set in stone until they are of breeding age and condition. I am giving myself time enough to look further into breeding, such as incubating eggs, assist feeding hatchlings should they not eat otherwise and preparing animals for brumination, or cooling. While I'd love to get into breeding ASAP, I know at my current experience it'd be a detriment to any eggs or hatchlings produced, even if I had snakes of age and condition to breed. Not only that, but my mother's set her foot down after this female hatchling, and any other snake to come into the house has to be bred by us. I'm really looking forward to the experience, although in the end, I want to ensure that I'll be fully prepared, so that the animals in question do not suffer at the hands of my ignorance.

I'm pretty darn excited for December 4th, where I'll be bringing home another two Blue Tongued Skinks. Gizmo will always be special to me, but these two are, under normal circumstances, far out of my price range for the time being. The seller unfortunately has to downsize his collecting as his work load is increasing, and so the cost of them is below what can be expected at this time. One is a Hypermelanistic, or black Blue Tongue, and the other carries the Hypermelanism genes. The heterozygous for Hypermelanistic Bluey is much darker in appearance than the standard wild type, so it'll look very different in comparison to Gizmo (even though Gizmo is a South East Queensland locale and already looks very different from the Sydney locale Blueys!).

It's been a while since I posted pictures. Here are a few taken in late October/early November.

I've realised now the setting I used on the camera in all but the photos of Jancsi and the Eastern Water Skink intensifies the colours, they are not that intense, although they're still quite bright. I've got a bunch of new pics on an SD card, but that requires wrangling someone's laptop as my PC lacks an SD card reader. I need to get one. laugh.gif

Jancsi - Freshly shed, I had nicer pictures but they were photobombed by a fly. >_>

Link - Basking under his heat lamp

Caine - Close up - I love the rainbow colours reflecting off of his scales.

Caine - In my hand, excuse the rotten focus, it's difficult holding a snake in one hand and focusing in the other while holding a heavy camera. The blue on him is actually black, with a rainbow colouration being reflected in the sunlight.

Gizmo - Close up

Gizmo - Tongue shot

- The NSW/Sydney locale Blueys I've seen all have black eyebands, Gizmo's are practically non-existant and only really noticeable close to a slough/shed. In the close up picture of him above it's just visible if you squint. They're also mostly devoid of yellow colouration, but still have the ochre along their sides, they generally also have more black pigmentation, but not as much as seen in a heterozygous for hypermelanistic or hypermelanistic.

and a bonus photo, an Eastern Water Skink who lives in our (not quite a) garden. There's a bunch (at least 9, that we've photographed) of these along the pathway to the local shops.

user posted image

S/he might only have three feet, but s/he moves pretty fast! I have to approach slowly to get within photographing distance. Even then, this one does a little head bob motion if I get too close, too quick, where s/he's deciding whether or not to take off or remain watchful.

Gotta love that blue tongue

And, Sin, I looked online for a story or piece on a domestic fox going to a zoo but didn't find anything, do you have more details that might make it easier to find?

Edited by Cecona

I use to raise mice, hamsters, and guinea pigs. Does that count??

I would LOVE to own a pygmy tiger. I am a tiger and dragon at heart according to my wife and I would love nothing more then to have a pet tiger.

I don't think pygmy tigers are a real thing? I honestly draw the line on animals considered dangerous, deadly, endangered, venomous and etc. Tigers are all those but venomous and they do not belong in people's backyards. All too often tigers and other big cats sold as pets are in fact inbred and not well taken care of. Not to mention the expenses, like getting enough raw meat to feed your tiger and keep it nourished, a secure enclosure that is completely Tiger proof. And you would need to stay absolutely vigilant because tigers cannot be domesticated. Honestly if an animal is unable to be domesticated it should never be a pet.

I'm sorry if that seems harsh but I just feel strongly about people desiring to keep animals as pets that should never be pets. Foxes don't fit this category since obviously they have been domesticated and there is even a theory that chihuahuas evolved from fennec foxes.

Edited by Cecona

I don't think pygmy tigers are a real thing? I honestly draw the line on animals considered dangerous, deadly, endangered, venomous and etc. Tigers are all those but venomous and they do not belong in people's backyards. All too often tigers and other big cats sold as pets are in fact inbred and not well taken care of. Not to mention the expenses, like getting enough raw meat to feed your tiger and keep it nourished, a secure enclosure that is completely Tiger proof. And you would need to stay absolutely vigilant because tigers cannot be domesticated. Honestly if an animal is unable to be domesticated it should never be a pet.

I'm sorry if that seems harsh but I just feel strongly about people desiring to keep animals as pets that should never be pets. Foxes don't fit this category since obviously they have been domesticated and there is even a theory that chihuahuas evolved from fennec foxes.

You are entitled to your opinion, however tigers have been domesticated. Maybe not to the point of cows or dogs. And dogs or other domesticated animals can be just as dangerous as any other animal. Foxes are no exception.

Pygmy animals do exist and the exist in all species. They are just very very rare. As far as the cost is concerned..... well if i have enough money to buy one you would better believe it would have all it could ever want for food, space, shelter, and care. Unlike animals of circuses that cramped in cages expect when training or preforming. The inbreeding could be an issue but i would want a background on its linage.

Final note on the dangerous and venomous part... well how many people out there keep cobras, ratlesnakes, scorpions, etc as pets..........

Edited by WarriorPriest

Too many for my comfort, but just because it happens doesn't mean I agree with it. And when I mean dangerous, I mean it can playfully swipe at you and kill you. And at any point it can just decide to eat you and nothing can stop it. Dogs can't kill unless it's a very small child or an elderly person, and only if it's a large breed dog. And a dog being playful will not kill you. It might knock you down, might cause a small injury but nothing anywhere near life threatening. Only way a dog would cause serious injury is if it was a vicious dog, trained by bad or inconsiderate people to be that way.

If it cannot be domesticated enough to where it no longer wants to kill you and eat you then it should never be a pet. Also you would be surprised the amount of people that don't properly care for such animals and keep them in small cages with barely any food and water.

The only thing a search for pygmy tigers turned up were tiny tabby striped kittens, and toy plush tigers. Also good luck on that lineage thing, the owner/breeder could easily lie about it's lineage to make you buy it. Just like teacup pig owners will lie about the age of the mother to make people think they stay small but these pigs are ready to have babies at just three months old. Though that's not to say all teacup pigs aren't small. I met one on a beach that was about the same size as my mom's fat chihuahua/rat terrier mix and it was about 4 years old according to the owners.

Edited by Cecona

Too many for my comfort, but just because it happens doesn't mean I agree with it. And when I mean dangerous, I mean it can playfully swipe at you and kill you. And at any point it can just decide to eat you and nothing can stop it. Dogs can't kill unless it's a very small child or an elderly person, and only if it's a large breed dog. And a dog being playful will not kill you. It might knock you down, might cause a small injury but nothing anywhere near life threatening. Only way a dog would cause serious injury is if it was a vicious dog, trained by bad or inconsiderate people to be that way.

If it cannot be domesticated enough to where it no longer wants to kill you and eat you then it should never be a pet. Also you would be surprised the amount of people that don't properly care for such animals and keep them in small cages with barely any food and water.

The only thing a search for pygmy tigers turned up were tiny tabby striped kittens, and toy plush tigers. Also good luck on that lineage thing, the owner/breeder could easily lie about it's lineage to make you buy it.

True you do not have to agree with it. We actually stand on a similar mindset about the cages and barely any food and water. If you buy such an animal give it what it needs. Dogs have killed before even by accident and with intent. That part of the discuss is mute as you can do searches and find plenty of deaths caused by dogs of all sizes. so no point in discussing that. As far as eating me or swiping me, well I would have it declawed through surgery and not by knuckle cutting. Teeth would be trimmed by a professional.

The problem with domesticating any animal is to respect it. You don't respect it then it will turn on you. Horse, dogs, cats, foxes, lions, etc. doesnt matter. The way you feel about foxes is the way I feel about tigers. You want a fox which is a wild animal. so how is that any different just because the one I want is bigger??

Either way we both digress. the topic is what animal we would want as a pet. Not why we should not have one.

Edited by WarriorPriest

I don't think there is any other way to declaw a cat than to go to the knuckle because anything else would probably allow the claws to grow back. I actually see declawing or altering your animal in any way but to fix them as cruel and inhumane. There are tons of cases of cats that changed completely after being declawed because of pain and sensitivity. Some cats will refuse to use the litter box because it hurts their paws too much.

And a fox is much different because 1: it's not as likely to kill me as a tiger, 2: much smaller, 3: Foxes have indeed been domesticated to the point where you can have them in your house, and it's not just a single type of fox. Fennec and red/gray/silver have been successfully bred and kept as pets are a good while. Maybe not 100 years but definitely more than a few decades.

You seem to think that a fox would be able to kill just as easily as a Tiger despite foxes being more scavengers than hunters. Not to mention they are omnivores, not pure carnivores like tigers. Foxes will not hunt anything larger than itself, only smaller like mice and rabbits. Tigers on the other hand are much, MUCH larger and stronger, and have larger claws and fangs designed for catching large prey, killing it, and tearing the flesh from it's bones.

And on the dog thing I bet you anything the majority of them are in fact larger dogs. I'm not saying dogs don't kill, I'm just saying that it's very unlikely- especially compared to a tiger which is DESIGNED TO KILL. That's the big thing right there, Tigers and other large cats are built to hunt and kill large things like humans.

Also the topic is not just about what exotic pet you want, it's a general topic on exotics that includes discussion and opinions on them.

Edited by Cecona

I don't think there is any other way to declaw a cat than to go to the knuckle because anything else would probably allow the claws to grow back. I actually see declawing or altering your animal in any way but to fix them as cruel and inhumane. There are tones of cases of cats that changed completely after being declawed because of pain and sensitivity. Some cats will refuse to use the litter box because it hurts their paws too much.

And a fox is much different because 1: it's not as likely to kill me as a tiger, 2: much smaller, 3: Foxes have indeed been domesticated to the point where you can have them in your house, and it's not just a single type of fox. Fennec and red/gray/silver have been successfully bred and kept as pets are a good while. Maybe not 100 years but definitely more than a few decades.

You seem to think that a fox would be able to kill just as easily as a Tiger despite foxes being more scavengers than hunters. Not to mention they are omnivores, not pure carnivores like tigers. Foxes will not hunt anything larger than itself, only smaller like mice and rabbits. Tigers on the other hand are much, MUCH larger and stronger, and have larger claws and fangs designed for catching large prey, killing it, and tearing the flesh from it's bones.

And on the dog thing I bet you anything the majority of them are in fact larger dogs. I'm not saying dogs don't kill, I'm just saying that it's very unlikely- especially compared to a tiger which is DESIGNED TO KILL. That's the big thing right there, Tigers and other large cats are built to hunt and kill large things like humans.

There is a way to declaw a cat without cutting its knuckles off. Anyway to be honest I can see you cannot be reasoned with as you are so set in your beliefs, so I am ending this discussion as it has nothing to do with the topic of the thread. Nice talking to you and I hope you have a good day.

I hope you do as well, and I'm sorry but I'm just a very stubborn person, and I've read/watched too many stories of tigers and other deadly animals being kept as pets and them turning on their owners because of so many different things but yet all of the cases seem to follow the same pattern.

I have to disagree though, I don't think it's off topic since we were still talking about exotic animals.

I hope you do as well, and I'm sorry but I'm just a very stubborn person, and I've read/watched too many stories of tigers and other deadly animals being kept as pets and them turning on their owners because of so many different things but yet all of the cases seem to follow the same pattern.

I have to disagree though, I don't think it's off topic since we were still talking about exotic animals.

Well i will leave you with this:

http://icwdm.org/handbook/carnivor/foxes.asp

Quoted from the food section:

Foxes are opportunists, feeding mostly on rabbits, mice, bird eggs, insects, and native fruits. Foxes usually kill animals smaller than a rabbit, although fawns, pigs, KIDS, lambs, and poultry are sometimes taken.

So they are not the scavengers you seem to think they are. wink.gif

Foxes are opportunists, feeding mostly on rabbits, mice, bird eggs, insects, and native fruits. Foxes usually kill animals smaller than a rabbit, although fawns, pigs, KIDS, lambs, and poultry are sometimes taken.

I think they mean baby goats.

Edited by Nectaris

First of all, when they say kids they mean baby goats, not human children. And second, an opportunist is a creature that takes advantage of the best opportunity to get food. That could range from anything to getting it's own kill from a weak or injured animal, or happening upon another creatures kill. They do more than just hunt, that's what it means.

Kinda funny how you thought it meant children when it said kids.

Edited by Cecona

I think they mean baby goats.

I know what they more then likely mean, guess the humor was lost......

but weirder things have happened on this planet.

Foxes only hunt things smaller than itself, it might bite a child but not eat or kill it. Foxes are an animal probably more likely to run than attack anyway.