TheDarkCynder

Rats, Ferrets, Snakes, other exotic animals.

I've owned & raised just about every type of 'exotic' pet out there. Common sense is the key to keeping everyone healthy & happy.

Again, it is all a matter of opinion. you believe as you will.

but...it isn't.

The definition of a word isn't an opinion.

An opinion would be something like "domestic tigers would be cool".

I remember having birds in my youth, Our first ones were Sunny the cockatiel, and Beaker the mustached parakeet (or red-breasted parakeet). Beaker is actually still alive, but at some point for reasons I don't understand my parents gave him to a friend. And after awhile that friend gave him to her eldest daughter. I got to see him occasionally before moving to another state. He still says the things he was taught when I was still small. "Whose my Beaker buddy?" Is something he still says a lot. And he imitates my dad's cough, and when the phone rings he goes "Hello?"

I've had other parakeets, one that was actually mine, and two that my dad and I found in the backyard on two different occasions. My first one I named Bluebell because he was a pretty blue color. Sadly he got his wing trapped between the bars that were on the bottom of his cage and even though we were able to get him free he died very soon afterwards. As for the other two, my dad found one and named her Luna since she was pure white and so pretty. We kind of had to get a cage and everything that day because we didn't have anything xd.png. A few weeks later I was outside and found another one sitting on the fence separating the pool from the rest of the backyard. We named that one Solar since it went with Luna. They were very sweet to each other though never made any eggs. Luna died a few years later, and we had to give Solar away when we moved.

My dad certainly didn't have a problem with more exotic pets, he even let me keep a gecko I caught in the backyard. That is until it escaped about a week later lol. He allowed my sister to get a milk snake she named Demona (back in her goth days). One of her friends accidentally let her out and we never found her. Several years later he let her get a cute little python she named Monty. It was pretty small, about a foot and a half long. I think she ended up releasing it into the backyard or something, certainly didn't let me know because I would have insisted she give it to a pet store or a friend. You just don't release animals like that in an area it's not indigenous to.

Again, it is all a matter of opinion. you believe as you will.

I would live to see credited sources to support you opinion that tigers are in any way, shape, or form domesticated. Just because something has been bred in captivity a bunch doesn't mean they are domesticated; tigers have been bred to increase their numbers, and generally genetic records are taken into account to see what possible colors a litter of cubs would be and to make sure that the parents aren't too closely related. Not to change anything essential about the genes of the tigers or selectively breeding for traits not found in their wild counterparts.

but...it isn't.

The definition of a word isn't an opinion.

An opinion would be something like "domestic tigers would be cool".

So by your definition that you are saying that 1000+ years ago we knew what genes and traits are and bred them out of dogs, cats, pigs, horses, etc??? Huh wow. did not know that.

It is all about point of view. Regardless of what any source may say, if I say the ball is blue then to me it is even if the ball is red. I know this may be stretch for some people to grasp but it true for everything. Ask anyone that has a tiger (or any rare/exotic animal) bred to be a pet that loves and cares for their animal. See what they say. I am willing to bet they would be split on their answer as this forum is split on whether exotic animals make good pets or good fried food (last part is a joke before anyone has a stroke). It's all perception and what is the believed/current definition of a word. Look back to just a few 100 years ago when native Americans had to catch horses and tame/domesticate them for then to be ridden. They where not genetically bred to be companions. But your definition says they they should. so by that definition every horse, cat, dog pig, etc that was not genetically modified is just in fact tamed.

@ Draco Knight....... Proof really?? Is this a school yard or a friendly discussion?? I show you mine so you show me yours???

This is exactly why I bowed out of the topic originally, because I knew it would digress to this.

Edited by WarriorPriest

OMG Those ferrets are all too cute! I adore ferrets, if I didn't have the time and resource black hole that is Tribble I'd have ferrets. I'm insanely jealous, IcarusTheDragon.

Cecona, no I didn't get Tribble from them, Tribble is a regular old gray fox from the states(I gor her from a breeder in Ohio).

Ferrets are beautiful, i must say. A lot of people mistake my little carnivores for rats. I find it hilarious and would most definitely love to take Tubesock and have her bite them! Then they'll learn she's not a rodent haha...

Tubesock bites on command... it's probably the most terrible 'trick' i've ever taught a ferret but it was the only way i could get her to stop biting out of fear. I've got her to the point where i can put my finger up to her mouth and say "Tubesock, nom" and she'll lightly bite my finger and then i tell her to let go and she does, and gets a treat...

Ferrets are rather intelligent, much more then the average person thinks... And they're really underestimated. My Coda caught a mouse and snapped it's neck in seconds, not playing with it like a cat would...

Does anyone here have ferrets and live feed? I'm not saying i do, the one Coda caught was a house mouse... I've been thinking about getting feeders, it doesn't look like there are a lot of ferret people on this forum

Ferrets are beautiful, i must say. A lot of people mistake my little carnivores for rats. I find it hilarious and would most definitely love to take Tubesock and have her bite them! Then they'll learn she's not a rodent haha...

Tubesock bites on command... it's probably the most terrible 'trick' i've ever taught a ferret but it was the only way i could get her to stop biting out of fear. I've got her to the point where i can put my finger up to her mouth and say "Tubesock, nom" and she'll lightly bite my finger and then i tell her to let go and she does, and gets a treat...

Ferrets are rather intelligent, much more then the average person thinks... And they're really underestimated. My Coda caught a mouse and snapped it's neck in seconds, not playing with it like a cat would...

Does anyone here have ferrets and live feed? I'm not saying i do, the one Coda caught was a house mouse... I've been thinking about getting feeders, it doesn't look like there are a lot of ferret people on this forum

My dad has ferrets and they are the craziest critters you would ever meet. LOL!! He does not live feed them though. I think he just buys high end ferret food.

So by your definition that you are saying that 1000+ years ago we knew what genes and traits are and bred them out of dogs, cats, pigs, horses, etc??? Huh wow. did not know that.

It is all about point of view. Regardless of what any source may say, if I say the ball is blue then to me it is even if the ball is red. I know this may be stretch for some people to grasp but it true for everything.  Ask anyone that has a tiger (or any rare/exotic animal) bred to be a pet that loves and cares for their animal. See what they say. I am willing to bet they would be split on their answer as this forum is split on whether exotic animals make good pets or good fried food (last part is a joke before anyone has a stroke).  It's all perception and what is the believed/current definition of a word. Look back to just a few 100 years ago when native Americans had to catch horses and tame/domesticate them for then to be ridden. They where not genetically bred to be companions. But your definition says they they should. so by that definition every horse, cat, dog pig, etc that was not genetically modified is just in fact tamed.

@ Draco Knight....... Proof really?? Is this a school yard or a friendly discussion?? I show you mine so you show me yours???

This is exactly why I bowed out of the topic originally, because I knew it would digress to this.

We didn't know what genes were, no. However, we did know that some animals naturally expressed traits we wanted, so we selectively bred the ones that had desirable traits. That is the core meaning of domestication, changing an animal to benefit humans. Coat color, core behaviors, physical traits, etc...you don't have to understand genetics to do that.

Yeah, an animal that is in no way different from it's wild counterpart except that it was bred in captiviy is tame. You can say a red ball is blue until you lose your voice, it doesn't make you right, it makes those listening to you less likely to trust your opinion.

I wasn't calling you out when I asked for credited sources to back up your claim for the domestication of tigers, when engaging in a discussion it's par the course to ask how one side arrived at a certain conclusion. I don' know everything, maybe you read a really interesting article about genetic traits being expressed in captive.tiger populations, never seen in the wild, like new color patterns. I was giving you an opening to advance the disscusion in the direction of validating your side. I was genuinely interested in the thing that made you think tigers were being domesticated, but now it kind of seems like your basing your opinion on wishes.

Edited by Draco Knight

My dad has ferrets and they are the craziest critters you would ever meet. LOL!! He does not live feed them though. I think he just buys high end ferret food.

I feed all grain free kibble, i give raw eggs every week and they get raw chicken (and are getting raw turkey come Thursday! gotta celebrate Thanksgiving for them too..) on occasion but i've never given feeder mice.

I love ferrets, people really do underestimate their immense amazingness..(that a word?) complex and intelligent little balls of fluffy insanity. And they are my children xd.png all seven of them!

I'm no ferret owner, but as a rule of thumb it is almost always preferable to avoid live-feeding. Even with the most stubborn of snakes, for example, it's better to try and wean them off of live and go to pre-killed. It's just safer and more humane for both your pet and prey.

It is all about point of view. Regardless of what any source may say, if I say the ball is blue then to me it is even if the ball is red. I know this may be stretch for some people to grasp but it true for everything. Ask anyone that has a tiger (or any rare/exotic animal) bred to be a pet that loves and cares for their animal. See what they say. I am willing to bet they would be split on their answer as this forum is split on whether exotic animals make good pets or good fried food (last part is a joke before anyone has a stroke). It's all perception and what is the believed/current definition of a word. Look back to just a few 100 years ago when native Americans had to catch horses and tame/domesticate them for then to be ridden. They where not genetically bred to be companions. But your definition says they they should. so by that definition every horse, cat, dog pig, etc that was not genetically modified is just in fact tamed.

I don't think you understand what domestication is.

Of course people didn't know what genes were. I'll use dogs as an example. People would hang onto the ones that actually made good pets, and kill the ones that didn't. or at least not be breeding them. Does the same thing as knowing what genes are and breeding for something.

Its not about point of view, its about what did/did not happen and the actual definition of the english language. Saying its your opinion tigers are domesticated is about as logical as me saying its my opinion that bees are the size of airplanes. its entirely possible for an opinion to be wrong, unless its about something that doesn't actually have a correct answer.

So no, tigers are not domesticated in any way whatsoever.

I bought a Brazilian Short Tailed Opossum a few weeks ago. I have found some information on them, but have been searching for a forum where I can discuss questions about her for weeks and can't find one that is still active. The few I have found haven't had any activity for years.

She's super cute and sweet but not really friendly, yet. She was 6 months old when I got her, and I hope she is still young enough to bond with me. But I just can't seem to find anywhere to ask questions like that of people with more experience than I have.

I bought a Brazilian Short Tailed Opossum a few weeks ago. I have found some information on them, but have been searching for a forum where I can discuss questions about her for weeks and can't find one that is still active. The few I have found haven't had any activity for years.

She's super cute and sweet but not really friendly, yet. She was 6 months old when I got her, and I hope she is still young enough to bond with me. But I just can't seem to find anywhere to ask questions like that of people with more experience than I have.

This place might be able to help you. We're more of a fox community, but there are members with all kinds of animals, likely if no one can help, they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.raskbb.com/sybilsden/index.php

Congrats on your new baby, hope.everything turns out for you!

Edited by Draco Knight

Thank you for the suggestion. By looking at several STO threads there I found a couple of other forums that are a little more active than the others I found on my own. Now, I have a couple of places to go with my questions.

So today is the 4th, and I picked up two new Blue Tongues for my collection. I don't like calling it a collection, but it's the easiest way of describing my growing list of reptiles. Pics are fairly bad quality, as they were taken with a phone. I didn't want to disturb them too much by using our DSLR, but I needed to take measurements for my records. Both are ten months old, and are about as big as Gizmo was when I got him at six months. I dare say they bruminated this year, the other hypermelanistic the seller had was a lot bigger than these, despite being the same age.

Astro - Linked for size

Ninja - Linked for size

Their names aren't permanent, at least not for now. We'll wait until their personalities start showing. The tub is what they traveled home in, they are now in their enclosure. For the time being they are sharing a 1200x60x60cm, although they will not be sharing for long. Prior to this they were also in a shared enclosure, but it's a risk I'm not comfortable with taking for too long.

Astro shed yesterday and his/her colours look amazing. Astro is a heterozygous for hypermelanistic, and is a NSW locale animal.

Ninja is a hypermelanistic, and is probably a NSW locale, although the increased melanin makes it impossible to tell, unless I contact the breeder (who wasn't the person who sold them to me).

And a funny one of Jancsi (pronounced Jan-see), he was in this position for most of the day. laugh.gif

Linked for size

I once had an Egyptian Mau, a rare breed of cat.

Alas, she was very snobby and prissy and high-strung so we just couldn't keep her around. Really sad, too, because I loved that cat. She was beautiful. :c

I think a Savannah would be considered an exotic in some ways. It's half domestic cat and half serval. They are said to be very good with children and are also loyal like a dog.

I think a Savannah would be considered an exotic in some ways. It's half domestic cat and half serval. They are said to be very good with children and are also loyal like a dog.

Half is a bit too much. They exist, but they're way more expensive and definitely ARE exotic. Most savannahs that people buy are F4s or later, meaning that they have four generations between them and the serval.

Most savannahs that people buy are F4s or later, meaning that they have four generations between them and the serval.

Would the breedings not mostly be savannah x savannah rather than savannah x domestic? I've heard it is mostly savannah x savannah, as far as a local breeder has told me (she has six savannah cats, if I recall correctly). This way, the dilution of the serval's genetic material isn't all that significant.

Would the breedings not mostly be savannah x savannah rather than savannah x domestic? I've heard it is mostly savannah x savannah, as far as a local breeder has told me (she has six savannah cats, if I recall correctly). This way, the dilution of the serval's genetic material isn't all that significant.

The Savannahs aren't a closed breed, so outbreeding is still possible. Typically this is done from Savannah to Serval pairs, but even in Savannah/Savannah, it still isn't anywhere close to a 50/50 split. Male Savannahs are sterile for a few generations until significant domestic blood kind of outweighs that. I hear with Savannahs it takes about five generations for males to be able to breed.

Well so long as there is no inbreeding I don't really care so much how many generations it is from it's serval ancestor. I first heard about them in an episode of Too Cute, a show that basically overloads your tv with baby kitties and puppies and sometimes other kinds of animal babies. They follow from birth to adoption.

Well like most breed groups there are no restrictions against inbreeding. You'd have to look at an individual pedigree and examine it, but, if you researched every single ancestor, you'd probably have a hard time finding on with zero inbreeding at all.

Hm... I guess you would be right, though I wouldn't want it to be retarded or disabled.

Edited by Cecona

Hope no one minds if I put this here.

user posted image

Her name is Mateus. Tay-tay for short-ish. laugh.gif She is a one year old bearded dragon.