TheDarkCynder

Rats, Ferrets, Snakes, other exotic animals.

No I do not have any exotic pets. But I would like to own a snake in the future, and ferrets.

After working at a pet store, I've always wanted a pet chameleon because they're so adorable. But it's a pain to care for them and making sure their cage is the right temp and humid environment..

Buying a pair of burmese pythons in december. Have wanted to have a pair of snakes as pets for years. Hopefully when I get them the pesky neighbors will not be so apt to come chat with me anymore. D:

What's Panda like? I've always wanted a ferret, but it just nevered seemed like the right time.

She's a little ball of energy. She's nippy and playful (since she's just a baby) and does some very amusing things.

I have no exotic pets. Most pets which would be considered exotic I don't think I'd want cuz they give me the shivers or their food does. blink.gif

She's a little ball of energy. She's nippy and playful (since she's just a baby) and does some very amusing things.

That sounds so cute! Goodness, I want a ferret!

Well, I've recently discovered a not so fun part of owning a fox. Marking. Tribble is now going through maturity, and has discovered the wonders of peeing on stuff to claim it as her's. Toys, the couches, my clothes, my bed, my feet...nothing that is at least mildly interesting gets spared. sleep.gif

Bearded Dragon! biggrin.gif

Seriously. I love my little Blaze- he doesn't really do much, but he's just the sweetest thing ever. Plus I have a pair of paper wings that I made for him that look really realistic, and I freak peeps out in public :3

I've walked into Gamestop with him stuck to my sweatshirt without realizing it before xd.png

Panda got her first bath today... She peed in it, so we had to bathe her all over again...She doesn't like water at all, she quite afraid of it...

I have had a ball python in the past but it died during a icestorm after the electricity went out for 3 days and I couldn't keep it warm.

I currently have a hedgehog named Penelope! She is only about 8-9 weeks old but she is full of life. She loves all sorts of treats and one of her favorite activities is bath time!

Vets classify guinea pigs as "exotic," and I've had a few in the past. They're plump and laid-back and adorable, and LOVE to eat. They're very social, so you need to give them lots of attention or guinea pig friends to live with, otherwise they can die young. Their bedding doesn't get that weird strong odor that like it does for many small mammals, and they don't scratch like rabbits.

A friend of a friend has a corn snake that laid a clutch. I'm getting two of the babies on the 1st. One's albino and the other is normal coloration. Can't wait!

I don't really have any exotic pets but I do have 3 cats, a dog, and a black plakat betta fish. Wild animals such as tigers, wolves, caracals, etc should be left in the wild or just in their natural habitat, but I do want a piebald ball python one day. I just adore snakes and think they are facinating!^-^

We decided to switch our Jungle pythons to rats over from mice, so that we won't have to switch them over once they're older. Common consensus claims that Jungle pythons require some encouragement or manipulation in order to get them to consume the food item, as apparently, Jungles detest the smell of rat. We were pleasantly surprised when both Caine and Link took their first fuzzy rat with as much enthusiasm as they did mice. I'm beginning to doubt 'the norm' is applicable to our Jungles, as they've defied both the 'aggressive personality' and 'hate of rat' stigmas that sometimes deter people from considering the cheynei subspecies of morelia spilota as a first python. I'm quite glad that I went for the type of snake I wanted, instead of the more beginner friendly species encouraged by both experienced and new keepers alike. Although from looking through other forums, many people have chosen a Jungle python as their first snake and rarely come to think that they made an incorrect choice, I certainly don't regret the decision, and neither does my sister's boyfriend, who owns Link.

Gizmo is slowly but surely gaining size, now approximately 39cm/15inches in length. His personality is starting to shine, with a penchant for climbing anything he can inside his enclosure, including but not limited to, the glass. It's both worrying and amusing to see him attempt this, as Blue Tongues aren't the best climbers, nor are they suited to heights taller than they are long. At least he hasn't tried to climb the background higher than his back legs again, he drops like a brick when his legs lose their purchase. To my knowledge he has done that once, while he only dropped around ten centimetres in height, you could see that his body rebounded a little once he hit the substrate, I would not want to see that occur at a higher height or onto a hard surface. He's taken to exploring the back yard with more gusto during his outdoor escapades, where he used to remain as close to me as possible, he's now taken to marching along the retaining wall of the garden from one end of the yard to the other, with any attempts to herd him in the opposite direction either being ignored, or followed under the pretence that there's something interesting in the direction I'm attempting to herd him into. To the non-snake enthusiasts in the house, he's a family favourite. smile.gif

As a family we've had a bunch of different kinds of animals go through our house.

We had two flying squirrels (at different times) that were injured and we nursed them back to health. A cockatiel flew into our yard and when we couldn't find any owners we kept him. We've had a lot of red rat/yellow rat snakes over the years. We used to have an aquarium with fish from the river like catfish, armored and regular, turtles, salamanders, crawdads, bass, brim, whatever we caught basically.

We kept three cuban tree frogs that my mom was going to kill because they're invasive, we've had a bullfrog for some unknown reason. We used to have ducks and chickens which we weren't exactly zoned for. We managed to catch some blue tailed lizards and my brother built a really nice cage for them. Oh, and we kept a few mice that our snakes wouldn't eat. And we have dogs and cats.

I own one ferret, my cute little boy, Apollo.

I DO want to adopt about two more, they're so darn cute and the perfect kind of pet for me. CX

I adore snakes. I help clean, feed and most excitingly, breed the exotic animals at a local rescue pet shop. This includes spiders, snakes, reptiles and turtles, but my favourite is the beautiful rainbow boa of four feet. Gentle giant, she is.

Gizmo is slowly but surely gaining size, now approximately 39cm/15inches in length. His personality is starting to shine, with a penchant for climbing anything he can inside his enclosure, including but not limited to, the glass. It's both worrying and amusing to see him attempt this, as Blue Tongues aren't the best climbers, nor are they suited to heights taller than they are long. At least he hasn't tried to climb the background higher than his back legs again, he drops like a brick when his legs lose their purchase. To my knowledge he has done that once, while he only dropped around ten centimetres in height, you could see that his body rebounded a little once he hit the substrate, I would not want to see that occur at a higher height or onto a hard surface. He's taken to exploring the back yard with more gusto during his outdoor escapades, where he used to remain as close to me as possible, he's now taken to marching along the retaining wall of the garden from one end of the yard to the other, with any attempts to herd him in the opposite direction either being ignored, or followed under the pretence that there's something interesting in the direction I'm attempting to herd him into. To the non-snake enthusiasts in the house, he's a family favourite. smile.gif

Gizmo sounds like he has quite the personality! You mentioned before about setting up a play type area for him, how did that pan out?

Nothing to report on the Tribble front, I just wanted to post a cute

of her foxy self! Edited by Draco Knight

I haz two betta fish, a bearded dragon, and a shih tzu doggie smile.gif

Biscuit (shih tzu) is my oldest and first pet. He's ten years old and I've had him since I was five. He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he's loyal beyond belief- he won't listen to anyone but me, and when my little brother and I were younger and he used to beat me up, Biscuit would defend me and then he would get me to stop crying. The rest of my family doesn't really like him, but to me, Biscuit is always going to be the best dog in the world. He's almost pure white, which I think is really cool, but he's also HUGE for a shih tzu. Like, almost twice as big. Shih tzu's are lap dogs, but my Big Bioy is about the same size as a bull dog, maybe a bit taller. And fluffier. We keep his fur shorter so that he actually looks like a boy dog tongue.gif

Onto my bearded dragon, Blaze. Blaze is my second little boy. He lives in my room and I gotta say, he's probably one of the most... interesting pets I've ever had. He's only about a year old, and he has TONS of personality. When I turn his heat lamp on in the morning to wake him up, he, (like a true teenager :3) gives me "the look" that practically screams "five more minutes..." He also likes to sit on my shoulder when I'm wearing a sweatshirt, but ONLY when I'm wearing a sweatshirt xd.png If I wear a normal shirt he tries to crawl on top of my head because I guess he can't get as good of a grip anywhere else.I took him to Repticon a few months ago and I swear he was checking this one little girl beardie out that we walked past XP Anyways, I also take him to school with me a lot because the art students just love drawing/painting/photographing him, myself included. Actually, (in true nerd fashion) I made him a pair of paper bearded dragon wings that look surprisingly realistic- to the point where I accidentally freaked a lady out at petco because she thought he would fly into her hair. tongue.gif He's sleeping on my stomach right now, and has a tendency to interrupt me whilst I am doing homework by trying to climb up my back like I'm some kind of tree. He really is adorable though. One of my favorite pets thus far in my life smile.gif

Now onto my two betta fish- Prince and Pip (short for Pipsqueak)

Pip is my pride and joy- she's still a fry, but she's already learned how to follow my finger around the tank, swim through a hoop on command, and jump to take food off of my fingertip. And I only just rescued her two weeks ago! Pip and Prince are both "rescues"... sort of. I'll explain that in a bit(if you aren't already bored with my ramblings xd.png). I'm actually doing a project on orca whales for my english class, and I'm bringing her in as a little outside something for extra points :3 plus, how many people get to bring their trained pet fish to class, am I right?

Okay. So. Explanation: My friend got them but hasn't had the best track record with pet fish and these guys were starting to look a bit neglected, so I bought them off of her for about ten dollars. Now they're both happy and healthy and I think Prince is starting to like me a little smile.gif Oh, I guess I haven't really talked about Prince. I call him Prince because he's this really pretty royal purple color with crimson on his front fins- you know, the ones that they move around so that they can lay on the gravel? Anyways, Prince doesn't really like people because of my friend's younger brother constantly tapping on the glass. Pip was on a higher shelf, so she didn't suffer as much from him.

Pip is purple too, but it's hard to tell what she'll look like since she's still so small. Prince is a delta tail and I think Pip might be veiltail.

Thank you for letting me brag about my lovelies! Sorry for making this thing so huge ^^' I don't get to brag on them much, so when I do get the chance I kiiiinda go over board...<3

And believe me, if you get a sugar glider, you will be perpetually covered/smelling like their pee. You can't potty train them, and they're nocturnal so if you keep them in your room you'll be kept up all night.

Edited by makenziec123

I would love nothing more in the world than to own a pet fox. I would never take one from the wild (unless it's a newborn or baby with a dead mommy) but I just adore the creatures so much and wish I could have one. Around here people are more likely to hunt foxes than keep them as pets.

My sister has had a few snakes in her life, and currently she owned two red ear sliders. She got them in Myrtle Beach when they were half dollar coin size. Now they are almost as big as a dinner plate! My family has also had fish, both fresh and salt water. I adore salt water tanks with the beautiful fish and crazy looking coral.

Back in Texas we had a 100 gallon salt water tank and a specialty tank store in walking distance. I myself had freshwater fish, a pleco, 5 fancy goldfish, and one tiny catfish looking thing that fed off the bottom of the tank. They were fun, I was sad when we moved and I had to leave them behind.

Gizmo sounds like he has quite the personality! You mentioned before about setting up a play type area for him, how did that pan out?

Nothing to report on the Tribble front, I just wanted to post a cute

of her foxy self!

Tribble is so cute, I love the way her fur settles when patted!

The play area is still on the drawing board, although I have gotten my mother to agree with the uses one could have. It's going to be portable, and probably on a raised platform on wheels so that the grass doesn't get killed. It'll still have some turf, whether synthetic or real I'm not certain, although real turf would be fantastic. Because I'd have to be able to move it around it'll be no wider than 1m and probably no longer than 1.5m (that's uh, roughly 3 1/3 feet by 5 feet?). It's bigger than his indoor enclosure, but it'll only be used for 1-6 hours a day pending good weather and provided temperatures aren't too high. If all else fails, I've looked into modifying a chicken run so that it's lizard escape proof.

This coming season I'll be getting another snake, a female hatchling Darwin Python. She'll be wild type in appearance but she'll carry Albino genes and produce them if bred with another Heterozygous for Albino or an Albino. As we have an Albino Darwin male, three, possibly four years down the track we're going to try our hand at breeding them if space and condition of the snakes permits. It's the first time I've purchased a snake off a large breeding facility, but they're a well renown breeder so I know I'll be getting quality. I'm roughly 40% finished with building her hatchling enclosure, it'll only be big enough for the first year at best, but the cost of materials alone makes building one within the next year a non-issue. Lighting however, I cannot believe how pricey some of it can be, a DIY LED light kit might just be the most expensive thing going into it, other than the snake! With exception to the thermostat, of course.

Tribble is so cute, I love the way her fur settles when patted!

The play area is still on the drawing board, although I have gotten my mother to agree with the uses one could have. It's going to be portable, and probably on a raised platform on wheels so that the grass doesn't get killed. It'll still have some turf, whether synthetic or real I'm not certain, although real turf would be fantastic. Because I'd have to be able to move it around it'll be no wider than 1m and probably no longer than 1.5m (that's uh, roughly 3 1/3 feet by 5 feet?). It's bigger than his indoor enclosure, but it'll only be used for 1-6 hours a day pending good weather and provided temperatures aren't too high. If all else fails, I've looked into modifying a chicken run so that it's lizard escape proof.

This coming season I'll be getting another snake, a female hatchling Darwin Python. She'll be wild type in appearance but she'll carry Albino genes and produce them if bred with another Heterozygous for Albino or an Albino. As we have an Albino Darwin male, three, possibly four years down the track we're going to try our hand at breeding them if space and condition of the snakes permits. It's the first time I've purchased a snake off a large breeding facility, but they're a well renown breeder so I know I'll be getting quality. I'm roughly 40% finished with building her hatchling enclosure, it'll only be big enough for the first year at best, but the cost of materials alone makes building one within the next year a non-issue. Lighting however, I cannot believe how pricey some of it can be, a DIY LED light kit might just be the most expensive thing going into it, other than the snake! With exception to the thermostat, of course.

That sounds really cool! A portable play area is an awesome idea, and even if you can't do that a modified chicken run is also a good plan B.

So you have decided to go into a little breeding in a few years? That's actually really exciting! biggrin.gif

@Cecona: There are very few places that you would be able to keep a baby fox you found in the wild. Kentucky, I think, is maybe the only state where you could do that. So, it's good you'd never take one from the wild!

What did you have in the saltwater tank?

Draco, I am so envious! That little vixen is just the cutest thing ever!! Though I am not envious about the marking thing, I heard that foxes can make some wicked smells x.X lol. I never really thought about the legality of happening upon a motherless baby fox, all I know is that with a permit I would be able to own a fox where I live (South Carolina). I'm sure I could get a baby fox from a breeder or something nearby- I'm definitely not going all the way to Russia for one of their domestic foxes.

Our salt water tank had all sorts of different things. We had hawk fish, tangs (hippo, powder blue, yellow, chevron), flame angels, firefish, emerald crabs, peppermint shrimp, cleaner shrimp, clown fish, gobies, blennies, pajama cardinals, blue damsels, all sorts of fish! We had a starfish once, a red feather star- it was so awesome to watch it swimming! Unfortunately it got caught in one of the fans that create a current in the tank, very very sad. I think we lost three things to those fans!

The coral was really nice too, we had this one orange sponge coral, and we had a brain coral, a beautiful big clam, flower pots, bubble anemone- my mom freaked out when it moved, she didn't think that anemone moved and that it would be stationary. The centerpiece of the tank was a giant leather coral, after there were no more anemone our clown fish ended up making the leather it's home.