Branndi

Twilight

I'm still burning the first three, too. D:< You can't stop me.

Le sigh...fine! But it is only my new found love for you that is making me give in tongue.gif

I actually liked the fourth book. It wasn't as predictable as the other three. And the things you could predict didn't happen the way you thought they would. Except that one part.. but hey she had to do something to fix that love triangle.

Also, I enjoyed getting a third of the book from Jacob's point of view. I get tired of Bella and Edward's point of view pretty fast.

Worst news about the book.. now Bella will never grow up and mature from her whiny stage.. T.T God save us.

Seeing as we're allowed to talk about dislikes in the books/about the books:

I term the Twilight Series "Aimed for 7th Graders." Which I guess, insults some people because they are reading the series and are obviously not seventh graders (yet have the emotional and debate qualities of a four year old. Name calling, shall we? ) but that's not what I mean when I say that it is aimed for 7th graders. I mean that the book's language, specifically the way it is written is aimed for teenage (younger-rather than older) girls to read. I read the first page and I believe the majority of the complaints about character development prove my point in this. Seventh graders are not 'old' enough to have self identities or multiface/dynamic personalities. Secondly, Seventh graders don't understand relationships (both bad and good) yet so they wouldn't particularly understand a 'bad-controlling, abusive' relationship if they read it. Thirdly, I have yet to see anything in the book in the kind of vocabulary, phrases, or general writing style that's anything adult-ish. Adults don't need a things 'spelled out' like 7th graders do.

Note, this is for those who want to start and argument with me over this classification. Highlight to read.

The main rebuffs that I get for this kind of statement is:

1) The characters are 17-18 years old. So how can it be aimed at 7th graders.

The David series (Lost Boy, I am David, etc) are all books about abuse. ******* Out of Carolina is about abuse. The characters are very young, does that mean that the books are for children who are six, seven years old? No. That's just plain stupid. Usually authors write their characters older than their aimed audience (especially when writing teen novels) because they want younger kids to idolize the character.

2) 7th graders now a days can't read at that level.

Are you serious? No, seriously. Just because you may read novels and other kids don't doesn't mean you're special or some **** like that. I was reading at college level when I was in the fourth grade. That's just because I had more reading experience than other kids. Generally speaking, 7th graders can read at a 7th grade level. It's just the few who are higher and lower than the normal that are the exception to the rule.

Moving on. I think Meyer has a really good imagination, really good. It's creative and I liked the details about lots of things. Especially about how the wild vampire walked, and how vampires usually interacted with other vampires. But, other than that, this series isn't really that much better than you off the counter book series. It's only lovely and capturing the nation by storm because Vampires and Werewolves are popular right now. Just like Wizards and Dragons before that. Otherwise it would have just sat on a shelf in your local bookstore.

I did pick the book up before it was really popular. My impression was that the explanations were interesting, but other than that it wasn't memorable. It took me reading it a second time to remember what the story was about.

All in all, I like the books (so if you thought otherwise, you're mistaken) but I know how to break down a book and analyze it's so called "literature worth." It's not worth much. So I'm not going to waste my money to buy it. I'd rather just pick it up from the library or get it from a friend.

Sorry I'm so hateful.

AngelsxRequiem I so agree with the last part! Though I am not done with the book though, I did know that part and again, I agree! Poor Edward...one day, he'll just want to end his pain Lol

And DragonicFlames I say thank you for expressing your views! I know I kind of made this a "fan" thread, but I like hearing from people who don't like the books either or who have problems with them since I think it is an interesting point of view.

Mm. . . I have a good link for everyone to read. It's taking the Twilight book and practically ripping it to shreds. I just think people should read this because it's so funny! I love the books, yet I couldn't help laughing at it because it was so darn hilarious. http://otahyoni.livejournal.com/130432.html

Anyway, those of you who dislike the series will definitely get a kick out of it, and those of you who love it will have a few different reactions. . . Depending on your sense of humor. . . >>

Also, pretty much my reaction to the first little "surprise" in Breaking Dawn was "Omg was she on drugs when she wrote this?" And then with Jacob and ol' Lame-Name (yes. . . Dun like her name. . .) I didn't see it coming, but I was completely baffled as to why Stephenie did that. . . It was just like. . . Wow. Really trying to push this book to it's limit, wasn't she?

I love Twilight. I am finishing Eclispe. I got Breaking Dawn today and hope to start it. Also can't wait to see if Midnight Sun comes out.

Mm. . . I have a good link for everyone to read. It's taking the Twilight book and practically ripping it to shreds. I just think people should read this because it's so funny! I love the books, yet I couldn't help laughing at it because it was so darn hilarious. http://otahyoni.livejournal.com/130432.html

Anyway, those of you who dislike the series will definitely get a kick out of it, and those of you who love it will have a few different reactions. . . Depending on your sense of humor. . . >>

Also, pretty much my reaction to the first little "surprise" in Breaking Dawn was "Omg was she on drugs when she wrote this?" And then with Jacob and ol' Lame-Name (yes. . . Dun like her name. . .) I didn't see it coming, but I was completely baffled as to why Stephenie did that. . . It was just like. . . Wow. Really trying to push this book to it's limit, wasn't she?

I. Hate. The. Name.

All I have to say Lol

Best line of the whole book..."You nick named my daughter after the Loch Nes Monster?" Lol

Edited by Branndi

Best line of the whole book..."You nick named my daughter after the Loch Nes Monster?" Lol

xd.png Omg I was like. . . Wow. . . Way to blow THAT one out of proportion. . . It's already an improvement to what it really is. . . I think her first and middle names should have changed positions. . . At least her middle name was more creative!

I love the series. I started reading it months ago and preordered the 4th book a week or so after I finished New Moon. I've gotten about 400 pages into Breaking Dawn and so far it's a bit too..out there for me. The characters aren't as powerful as I remember them being, their presence is more muted and kind of..boring. Everything is just being tidily fixed up all nice and neat which is frustrating because the best thing about the first three books is being stripped away so Meyer can get the ending she personally wants and can effectively end the series.

Ah well. It's still shaping up to end better than the Harry Potter series. Now THAT was an annoying finale. And a huge tease that won't amount to anything. dry.gif

Alright...so my only review of Breaking Dawn that wasn' that I didn't like it. Surprise, surprise Lol

But I don't want to say anything since I think I would just get all disappointed and mad about it again. Stephenie definitely should have stopped after Eclipse. She should have put the wedding and Bella's change in an epilogue and called it a day.

Here's to hoping that Midnight Sun shall be Twilight's saving grace.

It's damned too much to be saved.

I will never get tired of you....Lol

But really, in my opinion, Breaking Dawn isn't even really part of the Twilight series...save for the same characters we always see. It just took on a life of it's own and a not a very good one.

Haven't read Breaking Dawn but after reading all of your comments I very much look forward to teasing my friend who is obsessed with the series. laugh.gif

Contary to what ever one else has said, my favourite character is Rosalie. At first it was because she told off Bella and I was OMG, there is someone who doesn't like her, yay, then I think, out of all the characters, she is the most developed/complex character. Then is Emmett. Who can't love a man who can act as a carjack and listens to his girl?

Totally hate Edward. xd.png The guy, sorry, vampire, just rubs me the wrong way. Like someone pointed out before, he is just over-controlling and abusive and when I pointed that out to my friend, she looked at me as though I had just told her I planned on taking up Devil worship. She is totally in love with Edward, and thinks he is perfect. wink.gif

Edited by chibi_fire

That's ridiculous.

He just isn't.

I'm sorry, but Edward is not the ideal boyfriend in my opinion. He's got horrible moodswings, he's ridiculously contradicting, effing controlling.

Not to mention he's dead.

Yay for making out/having sex with a dead guy? Hoorah necrophilia!

I said this on another forum.

I'm sorry, but I hated Breaking Dawn. For one thing, Bella is an incredibly large Mary Sue who gets whatever she wants without any sacrifice. At the end of the book, we expect some giant epic battle between the Cullens and the Volturi. And what do we get? NOTHING!!

Bella's freaky birth scared me. It reminded me from something out of Alien.

Bella's freaky birth scared me. It reminded me from something out of Alien

OMG I never even thought about that while reading it but you are totally right! =O That's even freakier now because of that. . . Mah. That whole thing just makes me think that Stephenie needed some reason to get the Volturi into it to give it an epic end and make up some excuse for Bella to become a vamp that was exciting, even though Edward was probably going to to bite her anyway. . . Psh. . .

I just wish Stephenie would have slapped the wedding, Edward biting Bella, and some kind of happy ending for Jacob in an epilogue at the end of Eclipse and called it a day. Or even left out the Jacob part and gave him his own full length book.

Seriously, what was she thinking? Did the woman lose her mind? Because that's what I am going to tell myself. Whoever told her that she had a good idea should be slapped Lol

lol I honestly expected something horrible to happen at the wedding.. boy was I disappointed. I also expected the huge fight to happen.. I wasn't necessarily disappointed with that ending though.. I'm glad she finally went and did some unpredictable things. I don't hate the book. It's not done like the rest of the series, but that doesn't make it awful. I think she did it that way to leave an opening in case she wanted to come back and write more about it. J.K. Rowling did her ending specifically for the opposite reason lol.

As for Midnight Sun.. I'm actually not looking forward to it. I get annoyed with Edwards self sacrificing point of view pretty fast. "I want to! But I can't. It's for your sake. You want it too! But I can't.. for your sake!" I'm like "okay.. you want to.. she wants to.. just do it already!!"

Midnight Sun means more Emmett, Jasper, and James time......that's all I need in order to love it biggrin.gif