Malygos

The Datamonster!

Ugh, I remember this. I permanently lost a frozen balloon hatchling to it. Everything else I lost (4 other adults, 2 frozen hatchlings and an egg) were fortunately restored. I still virtually toss virtual flowers onto my frozen balloon's virtual grave.

Here's to hoping this never happens again! wink.gif

ooooo you know i kinda want the datamonster to come back so i could experience it for myself and maybe get one of those banners xd.png it sounds sooooo exciting! same with the lagmoster!

Edited by puppy2722

I was one of those lucky bipeds who did not see any poofing dragons. But nethertheless. I was there.

trust me, you would not want to see it come back though. Can you imagine the "OMG, MY DRAGON DISAPPEARED" stuff popping up again? dry.gif

I hadn't even heard of Dragon Cave back when the Data Monster came and ate people's dragons. I did read about it though, and this morning when I tried to get to the cave and saw the error message, "Database Error", I freaked. Especially since I'd just finally had a successful breeding for the Hope Lineage and was wanting to gift the egg to someone.

I had given up on getting on the site because of the lag...I got back when it was better and didn't even know things had disappeared. A few of my dragons had...but they were all back. Just in a slightly different order on my scroll.

You know what's ironic? July 20th is my birthday. So I went on that night to see if maybe on my birthday I would have some good luck, and it doesn't load, and I lost a few dragons. smile.gif They are all back now, but it was a bit ironic...biggrin.gif

actually, this was not a Datamonster attack it seems, there are no dead eggs/hatchies. this was a Timemonster. Eggs dissappeared and jumped around onto different scrolls, as if time.... had reversed.

I heard that some of the missing dragons were never returned, but I don't know if that's true. Can anyone verify or deny this?

Edited by Kallistrate

Apparently, I was Offline during the attack of the data monster.

And when i cae back from my serious down time, i did not see any dead dragons on my scroll. rolleyes.gif

what year did the date-monster attack? I don't think i had joined at this point. very glad everyone's dragons are okay at lest, at lest for me I hope it never happens again.

Edited by Alteysha

It was right after a new release of ochredrakes and pygmies, so most of the datamonster dragons are ochredrakes, pygmies, etc.

According to the banners, 7/20/09 was the date of occurrence.

I remember losing a silver and a few others. Thankfully they are back on my scroll.

Edited by Leap

It was right after a new release of ochredrakes and pygmies, so most of the datamonster dragons are ochredrakes, pygmies, etc.

According to the banners, 7/20/09 was the date of occurrence.

I remember losing a silver and a few others. Thankfully they are back on my scroll.

Means i just missed it then, only 2 months before i joined.

I heard that some of the missing dragons were never returned, but I don't know if that's true. Can anyone verify or deny this?

Its true, but Tj did his best, and TJ's best is good!

Plus, there were WAY too many victims to save them all.

I can't remember where I hear it tho, i think it was an old thread.

Sorry! But I have a good memory and it's definetly true!

RIP victims of the data monster!

OMG! THERE SHOULD BE A PIN!

A really cool datamonster picture.... Hmmm

I had my Mint and Whiptail survive, but my red dragon died/was revived

It's so funny on her stats, it says Egg stolen on: July 17, 2009

Hatched on: July 28, 2009

Must be a kick in the pants to the newbs, "I thought they only had 7 days... hmm. O wells.

Edited by DragonRider5624

I had one dragon that I know of permanently lost...a spring dorkface. The rest of them returned.

On July 20th, the site crashed. Some data was corrupted and a lot of people lost dragons off of their scrolls. We refer to the crash as the Datamonster, that eated our dragons.

TJ (because he is awesome) was later able to restore most of the lost dragons. biggrin.gif

If you're talking about this year, then maybe it DID do something to my scroll. I don't know, but this is kind of interesting:

One day in Feb. or Mar., I had been forced to use my laptop to get on DC and DDF. Now, this laptop was very lagging at the time, and still is. However it did become my trusted partner during this Halloween, as it enabled me to get a 'Halloween' dragon. Anyway, I became so frustrated that the laptop wouldn't cooperate with me, and partially because it was the reason my Tropical Dragon died (My first one to die to be exact), I completely abandoned my scroll and account. Therefore the eggs and possibly hatchlings that were on my scroll died. Later in the month of Sept. or Oct., I had decided to get back onto the website. It was then that I found all the names I had given to my dragons, even the first on I had obtained, had been completely erased. Thankfully though, all of my dragons were still there (Though I thought all dragons on my scroll had been erased). I'm not sure what the cause of that was, but I now will never repeat the action I performed months ago, and I will never get on DeviantART.com ever again (It was why I had lost access to the internet on the computer I was using and so I had to use my laptop). And that's my story.

I've been using one of the banners listed on the first as being made by Optimus Prime, but I can't find their forum profile... Would anyone happen to have a link, or know what happened to them?

I didn't lose anything in the attack luckily, although I've just noticed I've been missing a purple dragon for a while now *doesn't check her dragons overly often*. Whether she fell victim to the Data Monster is beyond me, or if I even lost her in the first place.

/shrug

wow.....this whole story is just.....amazing. call me COMPLETELY dragon-crazy but every time i see a dragon (sprite, virtual, drawing, or even statue) it creates its own life and story in my imagination. this whole datamonster thing turned out to be a massive addition to my mental library...it took a bit of work to find this thread as well...almost like the datamonster was keeping Tyron from finding it...for fear the starlight dragon would come for it...

see what i mean? stories come into my head like air into my lungs. thats why i write and draw things. to vent out all that compressed "knowledge".

anyways...i feel really bad for the dragons who were not revived by the great TJ, and would look forwards to any stories from anyone about the datamonster!

Fortunately, I was not worried of my dragons being victims to this datamonster at all during that fiasco because pretty much all of them had more than 6 days (7 at most) to go. By the time we were all able to get back in, I only noticed my hatchlings (a new pink and a cheese) had slightly less than 5 days left but my eggs seemed to have their times stopped so they were still at close to 7 days. The hatchlings both grew up successfully and the others went on with their usual regimen.

Edited by Kamoodle

I lost a couple of my black dragons that, honestly, I wouldn't have noticed if they

weren't named with song lyrics. I was looking at them, and I thought to myself,

"That's not how the song goes... blink.gif "