The Mentoring Project

The Mentoring Project

Thanks Sock

PMing Keyboard_cat

No reply from Cryauto13

Now mentoring Keyboard_cat

Edited by nooey

can I post that I'm super impressed with the system you guys have set up!

impressed, happy and glad oh gosh Dragon Cave is the best ;u; It's nice to know there's a core group of people who actively help out.

So, if you haven't noticed sticky's slowly disappearing from various sections, we've been trying to consolidate and lessen sticky's so the forums are less overwhelming and overbearing. Help in particular has undergone a rather large culling of sticky's that we agreed weren't really necessary.

As a part of this, just today, I got rid of quite a few sections of the FAQ - the first of many culls I plan to do. Literally like two minutes after I did this, I got a PM from a mentor asking where one of the sections was and if they had lost it, as they wanted to link one of their mentees to the section. I had flip-flopped on posting in Help and asking users first, but the opinions I'll get in help are all from older users who know what they're doing and pretty much ignore the FAQ anyway, as they rarely need that information. But! I appreciated getting the PM from the mentor because I realized that this would be a good place to ask about the FAQ, since you all regularly deal with questions from users. I can gather an opinion from what I see posted in help but a lot of that is actually also established users asking pretty specific things.

So to get to the point of my rather long ramble... Are there any sections or questions in the FAQ that you regularly refer your mentees to? Please note that I did not completely get rid of the sections I culled today - they are quite recoverable if any of them are actually getting used. The plan is to cut the FAQ down to an actual FAQ, ie something very searchable and readable, if not get rid of it together (especially as the cave Help section takes care of a lot of questions now). There's a lot of things I'm already planning on getting rid of - some that are even out of date - and there's some stuff I do think is helpful to keep around (such as the time of day for suns/glories, although most people probably just refer to the wiki?), but I'd really appreciate hearing from any mentors on if there's anything that is actually/regularly useful in the FAQ from your perspective of communicating with mentees.

Thanks! <3

So, if you haven't noticed sticky's slowly disappearing from various sections, we've been trying to consolidate and lessen sticky's so the forums are less overwhelming and overbearing. Help in particular has undergone a rather large culling of sticky's that we agreed weren't really necessary.

As a part of this, just today, I got rid of quite a few sections of the FAQ - the first of many culls I plan to do. Literally like two minutes after I did this, I got a PM from a mentor asking where one of the sections was and if they had lost it, as they wanted to link one of their mentees to the section. I had flip-flopped on posting in Help and asking users first, but the opinions I'll get in help are all from older users who know what they're doing and pretty much ignore the FAQ anyway, as they rarely need that information. But! I appreciated getting the PM from the mentor because I realized that this would be a good place to ask about the FAQ, since you all regularly deal with questions from users. I can gather an opinion from what I see posted in help but a lot of that is actually also established users asking pretty specific things.

So to get to the point of my rather long ramble... Are there any sections or questions in the FAQ that you regularly refer your mentees to? Please note that I did not completely get rid of the sections I culled today - they are quite recoverable if any of them are actually getting used. The plan is to cut the FAQ down to an actual FAQ, ie something very searchable and readable, if not get rid of it together (especially as the cave Help section takes care of a lot of questions now). There's a lot of things I'm already planning on getting rid of - some that are even out of date - and there's some stuff I do think is helpful to keep around (such as the time of day for suns/glories, although most people probably just refer to the wiki?), but I'd really appreciate hearing from any mentors on if there's anything that is actually/regularly useful in the FAQ from your perspective of communicating with mentees.

Thanks! <3

I only have one mentee and i explained a lot of things in my native language so i am not sure how to help you.

I have a cold that is still in the middle of deciding to get more worse for me or not otherwise i would go through all the stickys and point out all the out-dated stuff.

Do me a favour and drop a post here if you finished your work and there wil be no more changes to the stickies/FAQs. Then i will check if there is stuff missing or still duplicates. After i am feeling better of course! ^^

I only have one mentee and i explained a lot of things in my native language so i am not sure how to help you.

I have a cold that is still in the middle of deciding to get more worse for me or not otherwise i would go through all the stickys and point out all the out-dated stuff.

Do me a favour and drop a post here if you finished your work and there wil be no more changes to the stickies/FAQs. Then i will check if there is stuff missing or still duplicates. After i am feeling better of course! ^^

I already know what is outdated and duplicated, etc. I already have a good idea of what else I am going to get rid of. What I need to know is if there is anything in the Help sticky's, particularly the FAQ, that mentors don't want me to get rid of because they often refer mentees to it. I will be cutting out extraneous info, not just outdated info, which is why I asked. You've only had one mentee and our English sticky's weren't too useful to them, so you have no baseline of "regularly useful FAQ info" for the purposes of my question. ^^ Thanks for replying, though, and feel better soon.

I think you've done a great job Sock, the only bit I miss is the putting your scroll into your siggi section. I know you know this, but I wondered if I was the only person who linked this to all their mentees. If other mentors found it useful too it might be nice to have it back.

Woha! It's really nice that you've come to ask our input, Sock.

I am fine with the changes, but I get what nooey means. I like to deal with the scroll link in signature directly instead of linking them to some other explanation, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a topic that comes up regularily.

Thanks! <3

To be honest, as I look at the FAQs, I'm not even sure what is missing. But I will miss the section on coding. How to do a link to your scroll and how to add an image to a post or a signature are things I have used a lot.

I also think that the information about the Sunrise/Sunset and other time-sensitive dragons needs to be kept -- somewhere. I personally have a problem with just assuming that someone can find the information they need on the wiki.

Thanks for the input so far (will still happily read any further input)! Two mentors who use the signature section is a pretty good amount.

I'm not assuming everyone can find things on the wiki - but I also know that even other mods have trouble finding info in the FAQ, so... xP

(For general coding, I think the BB Code Help under the emotes when you post covers the basics in a clear and concise manner. The only thing it doesn't cover is how to find an image url or host an image. Is that something that's asked a lot?)

Personally I don't think the BB code bit helps. If we want new members to have their scroll linked to their siggs, having that section with it's clear images back would be fantastic. If we no longer want scrolls linked then it doesn't matter.

Personally I don't think the BB code bit helps. If we want new members to have their scroll linked to their siggs, having that section with it's clear images back would be fantastic. If we no longer want scrolls linked then it doesn't matter.

Sorry for the confusion: I was referring to general coding, which I believe (but could be mistaken!) purplehaze was talking about (in addition to the section that was specifically for signatures). The FAQ had multiple coding sections. Due to feedback here, I will return the sig-specific one but probably not the others.

Now mentoring dragoncaretaker121.

Edited by polaristar

Sorry for the confusion: I was referring to general coding, which I believe (but could be mistaken!) purplehaze was talking about (in addition to the section that was specifically for signatures). The FAQ had multiple coding sections. Due to feedback here, I will return the sig-specific one but probably not the others.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I was mostly referring to the siggie part, too. The coding section that was in the FAQs was way tmi. wink.gif I have to admit that I never saw that BBCode Help link under the emotes. blink.gif

And I agree that the FAQ can sometimes be hard to use, so a trim and better organization is undoubtedly needed. As someone who has trouble finding anything on the wiki (partly because it tends to make my lappie freeze up unless I only load one of the less graphic-intense pages) I am a bit confuzzled about how anyone can find that easier than the FAQs, tho!

And I agree that the FAQ can sometimes be hard to use, so a trim and better organization is undoubtedly needed. As someone who has trouble finding anything on the wiki (partly because it tends to make my lappie freeze up unless I only load one of the less graphic-intense pages) I am a bit confuzzled about how anyone can find that easier than the FAQs, tho!

Fair enough!

Thanks _Z_

PMing hashbrownie

No reply from FireWolf1117

Graduated - atheris

Graduated - XxKeyboardCatxX

Edited by nooey

PMing PinkSaphira

Now Mentoring PinkSaphira

Edited by SaphireKat

I would like to have a mentor help me out. I only speak English. I'm on American Central Time. I would also like to know how to create a good-looking signature on the forums with an image that links to my scroll. smile.gif