Hiei101

Final Fantasy

Out of all of them I see more of a Lightning taking over thing myself, as Caius is said to be of equal strength to her. If his job is so important, they'll need someone of similar power to do it if he dies or whatever.

Which raises an interesting question. Caius is said to be the strongest bad guy in the series, but he's equal in strength with Lightning. How strong (compared to the other heroes in the series) is Lightning?

When they say strongest I'm assuming they only mean most difficult to beat to date.

I highly doubt they'd want to go down the other road since that would mean all FF bad guys from here on would have to be visibly more powerful than the previous one or the whole plot would feel meaningless compared to previous ones. Possibly even the whole game.

Also because it would raise the question you just asked. They've always avoided this question and simply went with whatever characters were the most popular with longtime players or with the most recent ones. Playing favorite instead of playing strongest gets them more fan acceptance overall.

That was said probably to try to avoid a bit of the bad impression that many people still have towards this game because of its predecessor.

They also would have to make a very unbalanced Dissidia.

Some days you flip table.

(╯`Д´)╯︵ ┻━┻

Other days, table flips you.

┳━┳︵(ₒ⁻ₒ)

http://www.finalfantasy.net/xiii-2/final-f...ails-weeks-dps/

I findy this.

I wonder if Lightning's new role as Etro's knight has anything to do with it?

Edit: I canceled my order for FF13-2.

And made one for FF13-2 limited edition!

For only about £2 more!

Editedit: Just seen a picture of Ace as a child from the Type-0 manga. So cute!

Edited by Fortune86

I wish someone would clarify exactly what "strongest in terms of abilities" means and how exactly Light's the "the strongest protagonist". She's usually the one whose butt I can kick easier in Dissidia.

I wonder if Lightning's new role as Etro's knight has anything to do with it?

You mean anything to do with her being the strongest?

Unless they're planning on crossovers with other FF titles for XIII-2 probably not. It likely only has to do with her being the main character in XIII and the developers wanting her out of XIII-2's main party but with a good reason.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy has now been slated for release on February 16th, if anyone cares to know. It seems Snow, Aerith and summons will also be in it.

Voting for the XIII-2's Serah costume the AKB48 girl will wear for the game's official launch event has opened. You can vote for it here. Be aware that the page takes some time to load and has background music. At the time of this post the black one is winning by 687 votes.

(╯`Д´)╯︵ ┻━┻

┳━┳︵(ₒ⁻ₒ)

Edit: Oh grammar...

Edited by LocaRoca

I haven't played every FF console game (missing 3, 4 & 5) but the ones I have played all stared more or less 'normal' humans (with a couple of non-human team mates, like Kimahri or Quina) apart from Zidane (alien monkey kid) and Tidus (it was all a dream).

Everyone else were people that really weren't all that more extraordinary than anyone else in their world, they just trained more, got into a lot more fights or generally put a bit more effort into getting stronger. When I played the After Years I got the impression that pretty much anyone could obtain the strength needed to help save the day/world/universe, they just needed to join the right team (i.e, the people who were the heroes).

In FFXIII the humans of that world were no more extraordinary than those of ours, unless they actively trained/fought monsters or joined one of the fake magic wielding factions (can't remember the exact term). That changed when people were branded by the god like beings of their world and were given more powers and the ability to use magic. Okay so they also had to train to unlock their new powers, but they had been blessed/cursed with abilities that most other people did not possess, making them superior to the majority of their race.

In FFXIII-2 Lightning is now working for Etro, the 'sister' of the god of the god like beings from the first game. I'm guessing she wields at least a tadge more power than Barty and his kind, even if she can't utilise it in very helpful ways.

What kind of powers (if any) has she given Lighting?

Your second and third paragraphers sure analized the issue a lot deeper than me . I just don't want to think about SE saying that this or that FF hero/heroine is better than the others. It would be like the developers saying that the FF game in question is better than the others.

I prefer to think that regardless of how the heroes got their powers or their race they simply have different fighting styles which can perform better or worse depending on their opponent's abbilities (except for Lightning in Dissidia. That was way unbalanced. Or the way I make my characters fight doesn't agree with her).

You raise an interesting point in your last paragrapher. I don't think she has granted her anything other that her new armor, weapon and alternate Odin form, if I'm right in assuming she's the one who gave them to Light.

A thought just occured to me while writing this. What if it's not Light that's similar to Caius but the other way around?

He's from the future and is for some reason tasked with the protection of the balance of the worlds, in other words, Etro's task. In one of the trailers Light is talking to Serah in a wasteland and says that the place they're at is a future she couldn't protect.

What if that future wasn't exactly caused by some sort of failure from her but a result of her and Serah's direct action? Caius could be something like Light's successor as Etro's knight and went to the past to make sure that it doesn't happen by killing them.

Noel on the other hand believes that they can avoid it even without having to kill them which strengthens my belief that he's somehow related to Light and Serah.

(╯`Д´)╯︵ ┻━┻

┳━┳︵(ₒ⁻ₒ)

((wait...weren't you someone else...?))

Everone has been telling us Caius is Lightning's rival. If he's her successor, then why is he fighting against her rather than helping her?

If the predecessor of my job had screwed up (making my job harder or impossible) and I had the option to travel back and talk to them I'd 1) Check history records to make sure my time travelling didn't cause the problem to begin with, 2) Go back and and tell them not to do/to do something.

Not try and kill them off.

I have 2 forum accounts. I let one die when I was inactive for a few months so I wanted to start a new one. I assure you my scroll is the same though all my dragon names faded out laugh.gif . I have this one on automatic login on my laptop but that post I wrote from a uni PC so I got it wrong since that's my scroll name >_>. I only use that one to PM people that already knew me.

I don't think someone claiming to be from the future could convince Light of anything especially when the person in question has a very sharp sword.

I couldn't control myself and got spoiled a lot trying to solve this (dammit!) >_>. I'll tell you though, I got even more confused X_X.

My theory about him being Light's successor was pretty much shot down at the beginning of my research but then I found this:

Upon close inspection, Etro Script can be seen on the lower part of Caius's armor behind his sword.

So apparently he's not Light's successor but might still have some sort of special connection to Etro.

(╯`Д´)╯︵ ┻━┻

┳━┳︵(ₒ⁻ₒ)

I hate to burst your bubble Loca, but there is a lot of Etro script in the first game too. The Summons all tend to have some on them and it appears during their summoning sequence as well.

Yes, on the Eidolons' bodies or armor and summonning sequences but not on people's clothes/armors/weapons. Besides the Eidolons have Etro script on them because it was Etro who created them and bestowed upon humans the abilities to summon them in the first place so there hasn't been any instance in which Etro script wasn't directly connected to Etro herself.

Caius on the other hand doesn't simply summon the Chaos Bahamut, he transforms into it. I can't imagine someone being able to do that without some kind of special connection to the goddess.

In XIII-2 we know at this moment that there will be Etro script in:

- Light's shield assumingly given to her by Etro;

- the blades in Serah's weapon reportedly given to her by Noel at the request of Light as well as on her clothes which were reportedly "magically changed" in the beginning of the game (without anyone understanding why) at the moment Noel arrives in that timeline. Since Light's stuck in Valhalla it's pretty safe to assume the weapon/moogle came from Etro. The symbol in her clothes is the same one Light has on her shield.

- Cauis' armor, unknown origins.

- paradox effect sequence. It was a time paradox that sent Light to Valhalla at the end of Final Fantasy XIII -Episode i-. So it's also pretty safe to assume it's connected to Etro.

@rogue-fox:

Out of those I only played 7 and 10 but also like 7 better. It's definitely one of my favorite FF games.

(╯`Д´)╯︵ ┻━┻

┳━┳︵(ₒ⁻ₒ)

I always figured the Eidolon's were another gift from the Fal'cie, designed to help them press on with their focus.

I guess them being from Etro explains (in story) why you can summon in fights against Barty and what not.

The Goddess pitied also those subjected to that fate of Focus, crueler still than death. To them She sent Her messengers, to deliver hope when all was lost.
From Analect IX, "Her providence".

The Goddess's page in the Analects is posted with a picture of Alexander, implying that the line does indeed refer to Eidolons. I was pretty confused at the Eidolons' origins in the beginning too.

So I guess it's safe to assume anything or anyone bearing Etro script has some sort of connection to Etro in XIII-2 as well, but this just makes Caius even more mysterious X_X.

(╯`Д´)╯︵ ┻━┻

Somebody on another site (can't find the link on this website) suggested Caius is Lightning's son.

I don't believe it myself, but the theory is still mind blowing.

It is possible I suppose. Still I think there's a lot of more interesting ways they could play with Caius.

When you have a character coming from the future you instantly think they have some kind of blood relation to the main characters since that is what happens most of the times. Although Caius being Light's son might sound insteresting, in the end we'd probably get that feeling of "It's been done before".

There have also been theories about Noel being Serah's and Snow's son but those have been proven false by spoilery info. The same info doesn't discard the possibility

of Caius being Light's son because of her new role as Etro's knight.

Now that I think about it it doesn't discard the early theory of Noel being Light's and

Caius' son either blink.gif

Holy cow!

(╯`Д´)╯︵ ┻━┻

The guy (or girl) on the other site theoried that Cauis was so obessed with fighting Lightning because he wanted to prove he was as strong as his mother and as worthy of the role as her.

I took it to mean Lightning's role as Etro's knight.

When I first heard of Caius I did wonder if he was a love interest, but I dropped that idea after learning about the whole 'rival' thing. I didn't know about Noel being cast as their son O.o

I guess it all depends on just how far into the future they are from.

700 years. That's why it doesn't make sense for either to be Serah's and Snow's son (unless the plot decides to surprise us like that), but not Light's since Valhalla is detached from the normal flow of time and Caius is apparently immortal.

Caius is after Noel and Serah because they're messing with the timeline. I am simply assuming that he's after Light for the same reason. She might have been trying to change the "future she couldn't protect". I remember reading somewhere that all timelines are visible from Valhalla so I guessed that's what they meant by Caius being her rival.

(╯`Д´)╯︵ ┻━┻

Hmm. I wonder if Lightning was made immortal too.

I wonder who Caius is working for, if not Etro?

No clue. He's really just a total mistery. *sigh*

In the meantime, some new screens of the game have been released along with a new render of Lightning.

Too many for me to post so just head here if you want to see them.

There were also some other ones released a couple of days ago but the only one that actually shows something new is this one. A flanbanero wearing sunglasses! laugh.gif

(╯`Д´)╯︵ ┻━┻

Last page. Pink moster in a bowtie.

Oh yeah. cool.gif

It's got monster fusion too by the sound of it. Coolbeans.

Inheriting monster abilities, which was previously revealed, is indeed another cool addition to the monster collection system.

There is a consequence though, as the monster you have chosen for the others to inherit its abilities will be sacrificed. As for the monsters that inherit, they may acquire a new set of abilities if the monster they inherited from has a different paradigm role than theirs. There will be 4 major types of these abilities: command ability, auto-ability, special/characteristic ability, and resistance. The command and auto abilities can only be inherited from a monster with the same paradigm role as the monster that inherits.

The monster with the bowtie in the last page does have some pink in it but I think it was originally like that. Only the bowtie was added.

Btw there will be a new Type-0 demo released on the 22nd for Japan user posted image. Apparently some people are still not convinced it's a good game.

(╯`Д´)╯︵ ┻━┻

Aw man. If the Japanese aren't buying it the game will never get released over here D:

How's this for a crazy, no evidence theory?

Etro took over being Goddess of the Dead from Muin. That means that the role can be passed on, right? You're not stuck with it if you can find a successor.

In the future, Lighting is the new Goddess of the Invisible World and Caius is her knight o3o

Type-0 has sold 651,630 units as of November 13th. In less than 3 weeks it has jumped to 9th place in the all-time best selling PSP games in Japan and will still rise. It's not only selling, it's a freaking success.

There are only 2 issues I have with that theory:

- Etro was a goddess to begin with so she simply took over Muin's task when she was about to be overtaken by chaos. The powers she holds now she has had since the beginning and there's no evidence to support that they can be passed on. If she could make Light a goddess she could have done so instead of making her a servant knight.

If making her a goddess would make Etro loose her powers herself or die it could be possible. Etro might now be about to be overtaken by chaos too and wants to train Light before passing on her powers to her. This part is actually not that far-fetched if you assume gods' powers can be transferred to humans. If not then I don't see how it would be possible.

- Assuming they can be transferred, going by this logic Caius was then next in line to become God of the Invisible World. Why would he try to kill his future goddess? Unless he's doing it according to Goddess Light's orders. Now THIS would really blow my mind.

So I don't think your theory is actually that crazy.

The only crazy thing here is that there's still no word about a Western release for Type-0, be it yey, nay or maybe dry.gif .

(╯`Д´)╯︵ ┻━┻

Etro didn't have any powers to begin with, that was partly why she killed herself. She felt useless.

Muin gave her the task of protecting the balance and gave her the power needed to do so. Maybe as the years have passed Etro has gradually grown weaker or tired of doing the job and has decided to pass it on. She kidnapped Lightning and made her into her knight in order to train her up a bit. Etro was the one who created humans, so there is a deeper connection between her and them than with the humans and the Fal'cie.

In the future Light takes over, maybe she becomes a true Goddess or is still slightly human. Anyway the pressure of the job gets to her and she goes ever slightly insane or screws up, leading to the world going to pot.

At this time Caius is her knight. Maybe he wants to put Lighting out of her misery or just thinks she doesn't deserve the job, but he can't kill his own Goddess, so he travels back to when she was human.

Buniberzei immediately regretted having created Etro, because he had unknowingly created her as the exact image of Muin. Buniberzei thus feared Etro and gave her no powers to create anything of her own.

She did have powers, just not the power of creation.

While Pulse and Lindzei were busy creating the world and creating many more fal'Cie, Etro was lonely. She tore up her body and disappeared from the world, entering the realm of the dead, but from her blood humankind was born. Unlike the fal'Cie, who are immortal, the humans who were born out of Etro's sacrifice lived only to die.

Etro eventually found Muin in the realm of the dead, but Muin was almost overtaken by the chaos of the world. Buniberzei, who was afraid of death and destruction and wanted to eradicate it, was only creating beings that were immortal, such as the fal'Cie, and the imbalance was in danger of collapsing the universe. Before disappearing into the chaos for good, Muin gave Etro the task of protecting world balance.

When people from the realm of the living died they passed on to the realm of the dead. Etro greeted them, and gave each a piece of the chaos to hold inside of them. This is what people would come to call "heart" and was their greatest strength without the people even realizing it themselves. Because humans held the chaos so close, the world balance was once again restored.

From finalfantasy.wikia.com

She didn't have the power of creation so she couldn't help with the creation of the world. Although humans were born from her it was only an unforeseen consequence of her actions.

There is nothing that indicates that Muin passed on her powers to her and even when she was protecting the balance she simply gave a piece of chaos to each human. She did not create any thing or being that would be of help to her, unlike Pulse and Lindzei which leads me to believe that she did have all her powers unchanged since birth.

I hadn't really thought about this but in this case when the Analects say that the Eidolons are her messengers they really only mean they serve her and weren't created by her.

Btw Famitsu has announced a big scoop for its next issue. They usually have big scoops on all issues so when they announce it previously it's because it will be BIG! It could be Versus...

...or I could just be delusional user posted image

(╯`Д´)╯︵ ┻━┻