Erra

ANSWERED:Why only Christmas dragons have breed "event name (year)" instead of normal breed name?

Halloween and Valentine event dragons have systematized breed name not "event name (year)" as breed name, so why only christmas dragons, even if have normal names like "Aegis",  have breed names as eg "Holiday (2009)"? Is there any reason why its not systematized to one version for all three events? (i mean choose one: event name with year or normal breed name)

Because that seems to be the way TJ wants it - many have asked for it to change, but it never does....

From what I remember TJ doesn't want to do it because the holly dragon didn't have an official name from the artist and they're long gone from the cave? something like that, anyhow it had been suggested multiple times, with various workarounds, but it hasn't been changed yet

8 hours ago, Moriaty said:

From what I remember TJ doesn't want to do it because the holly dragon didn't have an official name from the artist and they're long gone from the cave? something like that, anyhow it had been suggested multiple times, with various workarounds, but it hasn't been changed yet

so isnt it better to give normal name to dragons which can have normal and only this holly left as "Holiday"? if its only one dragon so still all other have unique names, i think it will look better (like Valentine Dragon)

Edited by Erra

He apparently feels the names have to be consistent within the holiday, so doesn't want the Holly to be different.

But, if the spriter is long gone why not just call it Holly and be done with it?

Or call the Holly Holiday (whatever year it was) and the rest by their accepted names. We have Valentine 09, after all....

I feel like TJ has said somewhere before that the Holly's "official" name is actual Noel Dragon. Which would take some getting used to, but I'd definitely prefer that to having to remember what year the rest of them came out. Or as Fuzz said, call them "Holiday '07" just like we have "Valentine '09" and then give the rest their names.

What I think would also be nice, for organizational purposes, would be if they were all given their holiday, year, and name. Like, "Holiday 2021 (Pryanost Lindwyrm," "Halloween 2020 (Pitfire)," and "Valentine 2013 (Arsani)."

10 hours ago, Erra said:

so isnt it better to give normal name to dragons which can have normal and only this holly left as "Holiday"? if its only one dragon so still all other have unique names, i think it will look better (like Valentine Dragon)

That's what I'd think, since as you pointed out we already have a "Valentine Dragon (2009)" followed by all the rest having different names.  It makes no sense that the Holiday dragons can't have their own name "to keep names consistent" meanwhile the V-Day ones don't have to follow that rule.  By that logic the '09 one needs a new name and/or the others need to be reverted to "Valentine's Dragon (year)"

But it's ultimately TJ's decision, regardless of the logic behind it or not.  It'd be nice, though.

Personally, I'd like for there be an option on the sort page to choose how they're named.  I would much rather have all my Valentines easily findable under "V," and all my Halloweens easily findable under "H," than have to remember the individual breed names.  A "Sort event dragons by holiday name"/'Sort event dragons by breed name" selector button to go along with the "Growing things on top"/"Growing things at end" selector button would be wonderful.

Yeah, I really wish they'd be given their names too.

On 10/16/2022 at 12:52 PM, Aventurine said:

Personally, I'd like for there be an option on the sort page to choose how they're named.  I would much rather have all my Valentines easily findable under "V," and all my Halloweens easily findable under "H," than have to remember the individual breed names.  A "Sort event dragons by holiday name"/'Sort event dragons by breed name" selector button to go along with the "Growing things on top"/"Growing things at end" selector button would be wonderful.

This is also a good idea.

I always figured since a lot of different cultural holidays happen at the end of the year, and there are a lot of different gift-giving holidays, that maybe it was better to be a Holiday? But that's just an assumption on my part. I honestly don't really care either way.

On 10/16/2022 at 2:52 PM, Aventurine said:

Yo, this.

Edited by HeartJacker13

On 10/18/2022 at 9:29 PM, HeartJacker13 said:

I always figured since a lot of different cultural holidays happen at the end of the year, and there are a lot of different gift-giving holidays, that maybe it was better to be a Holiday? But that's just an assumption on my part. I honestly don't really care either way.

Yo, this.

That's why they are Holiday, year rather than Christmas, year but not why they can't have names. 

On the one hand, i like they all sort together and it annoys me the other 2 holidays don't. But on the other remembering which year is which when trying to get the dragons i want or that others are asking for in lineages is super annoying.  And there a lot of years to remember as apposed to thier common "names".

On 10/19/2022 at 3:29 AM, HeartJacker13 said:

Yo, this.

For now we have only christmas-themed (red-green-gold colors / snow / xmas tree decorations / holly plant / mistletoe etc etc) "holiday" dragons xD even if that word have more meaning than "Christmas".  More... this word have even more meaning - https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/holiday and it also makes me laugh from this name becouse it also have meaning "summer holidays" xD and can be readed as every special days ex "St Patrick Holiday".

But still, if you dont name dragon strictly as "Hanukkah" or "Christmas" so why it matter that dragon have "holiday" instead of ex "Snow Angel" or "Blizzard Wizard"? Dragon will fit to every holiday which have his colors/themes/items and dont fit to this which dont have (dragon with mistletoe on tail or are living sugar stick match only to christmas xD). So thats why i dont understand why valentine dragons can have unique names (if only one dragon have name of holiday its unique xD) and christmas have one name for several dragons.

2 hours ago, Erra said:

For now we have only christmas-themed (red-green-gold colors / snow / xmas tree decorations / holly plant / mistletoe etc etc) "holiday" dragons xD even if that word have more meaning than "Christmas".  More... this word have even more meaning - https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/holiday and it also makes me laugh from this name becouse it also have meaning "summer holidays" xD and can be readed as every special days ex "St Patrick Holiday".

But still, if you dont name dragon strictly as "Hanukkah" or "Christmas" so why it matter that dragon have "holiday" instead of ex "Snow Angel" or "Blizzard Wizard"? Dragon will fit to every holiday which have his colors/themes/items and dont fit to this which dont have (dragon with mistletoe on tail or are living sugar stick match only to christmas xD). So thats why i dont understand why valentine dragons can have unique names (if only one dragon have name of holiday its unique xD) and christmas have one name for several dragons.

Dragons will never be named for any one holiday - that was thrashed out years ago. That's why they are called "Holiday" - to allow for everyone who celebrates something around that time. And we have several that aren't red/green and that don't look like tree decorations:

image.png.b0f9de2cf36fde4e316450a45a5aa283.png image.png.18e89fac161416d8d9abcb49f59d670a.png image.png.ca95bb91b195251fa6223bbed638afe8.png image.png.be2367b6f91375a161063a30bbe9fb41.png image.png.59d344ce529690da7a2da65abdfad98b.png image.png.f0436781f34602143657ea4e4d6f8174.png

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Dragons will never be named for any one holiday - that was thrashed out years ago. That's why they are called "Holiday" - to allow for everyone who celebrates something around that time. And we have several that aren't red/green and that don't look like tree decorations:

image.png.b0f9de2cf36fde4e316450a45a5aa283.png image.png.18e89fac161416d8d9abcb49f59d670a.png image.png.ca95bb91b195251fa6223bbed638afe8.png image.png.be2367b6f91375a161063a30bbe9fb41.png image.png.59d344ce529690da7a2da65abdfad98b.png image.png.f0436781f34602143657ea4e4d6f8174.png

The garland dragon very much looks like it's got a bunch of holly leaves and berries for it's "mane" so I'd say it's about as Christmas-themed as the Holly is.  (I know they're "mana berries" according to the lore but visually speaking.)

Actually, speaking of though, it's very weird that some of them are allowed to have an official breed name in their flavor text but are still listed as "Holiday Dragon (year)".  It's annoyingly inconsistent--they shouldn't be allowed to have their own lore and names used in that lore if we're trying to keep them all as just "generic holiday dragon", and yet the newer ones are permitted that.  (I can only imagine that, if the older breeds were made now instead they'd also be given that chance).  At the very least those newer dragons that actually have an official name in their lore should be able to be sorted/listed by those.  (That would be Garland, Starsinger, Wintertide, Glystere, and Pyranost)

3 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I want only correct:

1. Its "aurora borealis" with reindeer horns - its reference to North Pole, Santa's home

4. christmas dragon, tail and mane have rowan fruits on conifer branch

6. definetly christmas dragon, even have name-matched BSA which change color of christmas tree lights

3. and you can also constder that white is also part of christmas, its color of snow and angels etc and ex. there exists artifical xmas trees not green but fully white and also this is simmilar color palete to Snow Angel and Garland dragon but left this, i want only really correct 1 4 and 6

And please dont say that sombody want "Christmas" name anywhere becouse all this dragons (without xmas'07) already have names and i ask only about this names, not new, like hallowen dragons have.  Oh and in europe we have All Saints' Day & Mexican Day of the Dead not halloween, so if  "many holiday names" will be reason to have one generalized name with year - i think halloween dragons also shoud have one collectibe name.

2 hours ago, KageSora said:

Actually, speaking of though, it's very weird that some of them are allowed to have an official breed name

Yeah, i dont like that inconsistent too, more, i dont like this non-schematic naming that valentine & halloween event dragons have unique but winter-holidays not, event that thing that "Holiday" word isnt contain only holidays around christmas (or just winter holidays) but can contain much more (too general word) but thats notimportant. Im only too curious is there any meanigful reason for that non-schemating naming - something what one event have and second not and thats why there is difference. But it looks like there isnt any (like author want author have xD everybody have diffrent visions), only its a little irritating for someone who love schematicity but i got answet and its most important, this is better than not knowing.

Thank you all for answers ^^.

Edited by Erra