Ciri

How about allowing same-sex breeding so they could produce an egg together?

I could see the same sex breeding as a feature of a specific breed but not as a site-wide mechanic. No support for me, sorry.

On 4/12/2022 at 7:55 AM, Moriaty said:

I don't understand how his job would forbid a system of communication implemented on a different website TJ built himself...

Contracts are fickle things, and conflicts of interest are a great way to lose your job -or worse.

If you work for a company that made online stores, then wrote your own online store software in your free time, you could be accused of anything from stealing company code to using inside knowledge in the creation of an online store platform.

Similarly, if you work for a company that's about online communication between user accounts, any code you wrote that involved communication between accounts could land you in some serious trouble. That's the situation we have here, and even if he did leave the company (which I will not be namedropping because that's rude), he'd still be at risk of legal action because he could still be basing his work on that company's proprietary knowledge. So anything beyond the simple, public, one-way communication we have in the marketplace is never going to happen.

The best viable option I can see is another marketplace for breeding. You have the option to post a dragon "to stud" with a short message explaining what you'll accept. people can then make offers a la trading marketplace. You accept one, and it triggers the breeding routine on both scrolls (perhaps with lower odds than normal) so you both get a chance at an egg from the pair.

On 4/12/2022 at 7:55 AM, Moriaty said:

I'm kind of confused on that, is there proof of some kind? Like TJ saying that he can't do scroll to scroll commu? I don't understand how his job would forbid a system of communication implemented on a different website TJ built himself...

He said it loud and clear on Discord, I am told, and has said something similar here. And he should know. It's his job.

3 hours ago, _Charky said:

Contracts are fickle things, and conflicts of interest are a great way to lose your job -or worse.

If you work for a company that made online stores, then wrote your own online store software in your free time, you could be accused of anything from stealing company code to using inside knowledge in the creation of an online store platform.

Similarly, if you work for a company that's about online communication between user accounts, any code you wrote that involved communication between accounts could land you in some serious trouble. That's the situation we have here, and even if he did leave the company (which I will not be namedropping because that's rude), he'd still be at risk of legal action because he could still be basing his work on that company's proprietary knowledge. So anything beyond the simple, public, one-way communication we have in the marketplace is never going to happen.

Exactly this.

3 hours ago, _Charky said:

The best viable option I can see is another marketplace for breeding. You have the option to post a dragon "to stud" with a short message explaining what you'll accept. people can then make offers a la trading marketplace. You accept one, and it triggers the breeding routine on both scrolls (perhaps with lower odds than normal) so you both get a chance at an egg from the pair.

If it were to happen, I think the easiest way is within the existing marketplace.

Mockup

image.png.071d38fac7f243e674808de13f91e484.png

You enter your dragon with something like" Want to breed my (whatever it is) with a (whatever you want it bred with)

Example: "Want to breed my female CB Sunsong with your (generic - you can't ask for a specific dragon) CB Blizzard Wizard"

and then see what offers you get. I think it should be forbidden to ask for a breeding from SAs, though.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

While parthenogenesis is a thing in nature and changing sex is also possible (see clown fish for example) there is no way a "breeding" of two males can result in offspring.

Maybe there will be a breed of dragons which can change their gender or can try for parthenogenesis with a BSA, but there is no need to break up with the proven concept of male x female for offspring. Even in a fantasy game.

A Stud market could be interesting, but some breeds (like SAlts) should be banned to protect their owners.

On 4/10/2022 at 6:22 AM, Ciri said:

UPD: I also wonder if it's possible to add an option of breeding my dragons with dragons from a friend's scroll, for example?

That would make the game easier for multiscrollers so a hard hard no and its been shot down mulitiple times

My suggestion of doing it through the trading hub might work - but you couldn't just go and ask a friend....

While I firmly disagree with shooting down suggestions on the basis of people who already break rules (whether it be harassment or multiscrolling), I will also say that mechanics that affect the core systems of the game (DC is based on collecting and breeding, so in this particular case, same-sex breeding and studding, but this also applies to similar common wishes/suggestions like adult trading) need to be either introduced from the start or in a comparatively young game. The game's systems should be built with those mechanics in mind even if they aren't implemented from the start. A game as old as DC with such an extensive and established playerbase would need to approach gamechangers like this very carefully. Not to say that it shouldn't introduce gamechangers at all, but if you want to avoid disrupting game balance or an incredibly vocal playerbase it's not as easy as just announcing one day that these mechanics have changed.

Neutral, leaning no support, on the original suggestions of this thread. Studding sounds fine as a mechanic in a vacuum, but it might be more hassle than it's worth on DC.

if you want a same-sex breeding dragon, consider introducing a dragon inspired by desert grassland whiptail lizards. 

Same sex breeding as a one particular dragon breed BSA  maybe support it does occur in nature in fish (there’s one I can’t think of right now a sturgeon I think) and some other species to change genders when there is a need for it. The  cooldown consequences of this BSA should be higher than most though two weeks bare minimum

maybe limit the breeding with this specific BSA to that breed only 

It would have to be a new breed if it were ever to happen. You can't go around changing the sex of dragons that already exist - even your own, as that often has consequences for other scrolls.

If this: image.png.69086aaa4877a6503f4b9a6b39ac3e1b.png

Suddenly turned into this:

image.png.bdb7a49554aa20017df8a252ff480053.png

I should be VERY annoyed.

12 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

You can't go around changing the sex of dragons that already exist - even your own, as that often has consequences for other scrolls.

This means nothing. Other people can kill, rename, enrage/pacify their aegis, reborn-ify their pitfire, etc and you have no say in that. This is the risk for taking things from other scrolls as those dragons are outside of your control, and thus this suggestion should have no consideration for that. 

That being said, I agree that this (same sex breeding) would make for an interesting mechanic, but should be limited to a specific breed (or breeds) that are designed for it, NOT a general mechanic to be introduced for everything. 

No support to breeding with other scrolls. 

Edited by schenanigans

Changing the sex of a parent in my line is very different from simply changing its appearance. Aegis dragons suddenly getting pacified (I prefer them angry !) is annoying but in a different class from Mummy becoming Daddy. (Please note I am VERY much a trans ally and have friends and relatives who... but they wouldn't change their actual birth certificates. Yes we've discussed that as a concept.)

If it were a single breed that could BSA gender I would propose that the gender images are the same for both  and/or the mars/Venus gender symbols appear next to the name as to what gender they were when. Bred in the lineage details unless that is too complicated to do

Since when is magic subject to the laws of reality ?

How about a dragon with Alcedine Wyvern's sprite mechanics, but with a more pronouncedly feminine and masculine sprites?

Wait, why are we talking about trans dragons, when the topic is about gay dragons? You (general you) started talking about trans dragons and I don't understand why. I'll say it straight up that I doubt TJ will ever do that because the question of if the sprite should change is one with a different answer from each person you ask, and not the topic at hand.

Same sex breeding shouldn't change any sprites. It just says 'hey those can breed now.'  That wouldn't retroactively change dozens of past breedings. To use that PB line, you would be breeding Along my weary wiskers to They twinkle in the arctic which would not affect wearys kids with the tears flow fast and free. It's not deciding retroactively that tears is a boy. You are talking about trans dragons which, again, I don't see happening. But if it did I would imagine you couldn't do it to bred dragons for that exact reason. TJ tries his best to avoid changing existing lines with changes, see blue electrics, created in such a way one cannot change an existing line. Same sex breeding would just create new lines, not change anything that exists. Why would saying two of the CBs from an existing line can now breed with each other, affect a different line? It doesn't; someone breeding their Prize to something new doesn't change anything about existing kids.

TL;DR: please stop talking about trans dragons/changing sprites, that's completely different.

Which one is in the top slot of the linage is something worth looking at. Maybe its just whichever one you started the action on goes in the top slot, or something like that. It would take a bit of getting used to, but it would only matter for people using the mechanic anyway.

The bigger problem is the breeding page is already bloated by having every option on your scroll load, and it would make that problem worse. But people with a ton of dragons are already asking for a fix for that, cause it makes breeding laggy for them. Something like pushing the fertility coding over so its a filter like that, but that's just a side effect of increasing the breeding pool, you could do the same thing by deciding drakes are now part of the standard breeding pool. (I'm not saying we should do that)

I don't think it needs to be anything tied to specific breeds or a BSA, but if it has to I'd rather be able to use the BSA on any dragon rather than only x breed can do it.

Gay dragons breed in the same way as straight dragons - one of each sex. Trans dragons CHANGE their sex. That was the point - hence the changed sprite. A gay male dragon would need a female dragon to BREED, however gay he is. Sad though it may be, same sex couples cannot breed, not in any universe. At best you'd need a surrogate....

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Gay dragons breed in the same way as straight dragons - one of each sex. Trans dragons CHANGE their sex. That was the point - hence the changed sprite. A gay male dragon would need a female dragon to BREED, however gay he is. Sad though it may be, same sex couples cannot breed, not in any universe. At best you'd need a surrogate....

Eh, I have definitely seen different universe concepts that allow such in fantasy settings.

That said, it still makes sense to me only as a mechanic of a new breed, like their special thing is that they're capable of reproduction regardless of apparently physical sexual characteristics.

But I just can't see it making sense as a site-wide mechanic.

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Sad though it may be, same sex couples cannot breed, not in any universe. At best you'd need a surrogate....

I think this is what the suggestion is asking for, though. Just because this is how it works in our world doesn't mean it is in every single universe or would have to be for these dragons. I don't think the suggestion wants dragons to change their sex, but for (for example) two female dragons who have always been female to produce an egg.

Personally, I'm not opposed to this suggestion, depending slightly on how it's implemented.

On 8/22/2022 at 10:37 PM, Fuzzbucket said:

Dragons aren't real either :)

You also can't decide the sex of an already formed zygote irl but we do that with pinks.

"it doesn't work in real life" is a bad argument for a pixel dragon game with magic and teleportation, things that also, shocker, don't exist in real life.

anyway I continue to think it should be a BSA thing and would support it as a BSA option for breeding. It could make some really cool lines, especially with nebulas. My logic is that it could work for one breeding, like Fertility. There's a dragon breed that has a magic spell that can sometimes make an egg from a same sex pair. It does not change dimorphism because that imo defeats the point of the BSA.

Edited by Skadi

1 hour ago, Skadi said:

You also can't decide the sex of an already formed zygote irl but we do that with pinks.

Actually, that one IS grounded in reality!  There are different species of animal and some plants that actually are not genetically coded for a specific sex from conception and, instead, the sex is determined by external factors such as amount of daylight or temperature.  Check out the phenomenon of "environmental sex determination"--it's pretty neat, IMO.  I've always assumed Influence worked by that sort of thing, such as raising/lowering nest temperature if that was the determining factor for dragons (or whatever other environmental factor causes it).

Though, like I did say earlier, as it IS fantasy I could see it working in some fashion such as a brand new breed with that specific mechanic.  Maybe a BSA, but that would be less grounded in reality than some of the existing BSAs.  (Though, to be fair, Ward and Teleport--among others--ARE purely based in magic.  It might have to be a brand new breed based around that sort of BSA concept, though.)

Faur enough, but then you have electric bolts that temporarily stop aging, spells that permanently stop aging, and zombies that we can make on our scroll already. The pixel dragon game isn't a bastion of realism either way. The realism argument comes up a lot with queer people and fantasy, and it's always hilarious because you can buy zombie dragons with two heads, but you can't buy that magic lets gay people have kids lmao.

But yah I definitely think it should be a new breed BSA. I personally think it could make certain rare lineages also less painful to build, and also lead to some interesting holiday lineages. I'm not a lineage builder, but I'm a helper. This could increase my range of 2g prizes I can make for people, so that's personally why I like the idea.