Spiteful_Crow

ANSWERED:Snow Wars help (formerly: Holiday Event Help)

The news threads for the events and games are always cluttered with other discussion, so I thought I'd make a separate help thread here for those of us having difficulty with the mini games Snow Wars 2.

For me, Snow Wars 2 fails to completely load and simply auto crashes my browser each time I attempt to play it. It has done this ever since the Advent Calendar came out. I am using mobile (a tablet) but lack of space or memory isn't an issue right now. Using an Android 7.0 and "Free AdBlock Browser". I am also finding it nearly impossible to play Cocoa Rush due to the difficulty in getting the character to move at all, and the cup automatically filling/sliding and getting an instant Game Over due to no customer being available at that spot. [Edit: I read the instructions wrong, whoops!]

If any of you have trouble playing these games Snow Wars, please discuss it here and be sure to mention whether you are on a computer, laptop, tablet, phone, or other device.

Update: Because TJ preferred not to have a general help thread for these games, I've decided to make this one about Snow Wars only. If you have problems with the other games, please create a separate thread for them. If you wish, I can link those threads here to assist people who still think this is general help thread. Thank you for understanding.

Edited by Spiteful_Crow
(update)

Here is a screenshot of the Snow Wars page on my phone, Android 6.0

It starts loading the page with the 'how to play' text, but no image, and then seems to stall and gives me this. This is not the first DC event-game that gave me this exact issue, either, it's happened in the past (and also does the exact same on Cocoa Rush). I don't often play on mobile so it's not a huge deal for me, but I'm documenting it since TJ said it's been tested on mobile.

Screenshot_20211228-011946.thumb.png.88b1c0d56c5ea50a54d56abcf0c7ae15.png

Edited by HeatherMarie

I have similar issues with Snow Wars on my iphone. It never loads, crashes the page often in attempt.

With Cocoa Rush, it works temporarily, however often becomes ‘frozen’ after a short while. So no inputs work after that and you cant move or dispense drinks.

Edit: Added what I see when you freeze. It may be something with my iphone, who knows (does it still in landscape mode). Must think Im holding the button down. 

DEFC4603-08FC-4AF5-B1C8-B7F1B7CED758.thumb.jpeg.353cdd02b2d22beb61597de4ed1aa249.jpeg

I have input issues with the game on my laptop anyway (I press up or down and nothing happens sometimes, when you get in rhythm often it results in accidental space bar press when nones there). 

Delivery race rarely has the same issue where inputs no longer work. However while annoying, you dont immediately lose because of it. 

I think I have given up any hopes of my team winning, so will just play for fun if at all, maybe just the snowball game as its the only properly functional one for me on mobile. Cant beat that pesky Umbra lot XD

Edited by Ruffledfeathers

Everything worked fine for me on iPhone! Using safari, that is. That’s strange, I thought they’d at least work on one brand+browser combination. Could it be internet issue?

I also don’t play a lot on mobile, my experience was just that things are so tiny when on mobile and hard to control…

A5F25176-84ED-47F0-99E5-D4AA8A323BAE.thumb.png.ebc0503e3c15953539c99985f4c8f666.png

A6ADF1B8-0B06-42E9-B282-B87C579B1E5B.thumb.png.971ef52447b8592fc9c0d66282cfc6de.png

B1A6DB1B-67A3-4FFB-A630-7D690C414BD2.thumb.png.33c771974170608e56ae6c032c523486.png

Cocoa Wars doesn't work on my mobile. Samsung Galaxy 7, using the default browser. I can serve cocoa from the bottom urn only and can't move up to the other urns at all.

The other games so far are all working fine. ;)

Generic threads with 50 different problems in them are usually not helpful since it results in 50 different conversations happening at once. I'd encourage people to make individual threads for individual issues.

That said, if you're reporting an issue, I'll need device OS + version *and* browser + version.

10 hours ago, Spiteful_Crow said:

For me, Snow Wars 2 fails to completely load and simply auto crashes my browser each time I attempt to play it. It has done this ever since the Advent Calendar came out. I am using mobile (a tablet) but lack of space or memory isn't an issue right now.

You didn't mention enough details to really look into anything, but I know older iPads don't have enough GPU memory to be able to play Snow Wars.

10 hours ago, Spiteful_Crow said:

I am also finding it nearly impossible to play Cocoa Rush due to the difficulty in getting the character to move at all, and the cup automatically filling/sliding and getting an instant Game Over due to no customer being available at that spot.

5 hours ago, Lagie said:

Cocoa Wars doesn't work on my mobile. Samsung Galaxy 7, using the default browser. I can serve cocoa from the bottom urn only and can't move up to the other urns at all.

Are you tapping the left side of the game? Is it darkening to indicate that it registered your tap?

image.png

9 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Here is a screenshot of the Snow Wars page on my phone, Android 6.0

Android 6.0 hasn't received updates in years. Unless you've managed to get the latest version of Chrome on there... I'd be surprised if any events worked in any browsers from that long ago, desktop or mobile.

But I'd need to know the browser + version to really say anything.

59 minutes ago, TJ09 said:

Are you tapping the left side of the game?

Thank you! That's exactly what I wasn't doing!

2 hours ago, TJ09 said:

Android 6.0 hasn't received updates in years. Unless you've managed to get the latest version of Chrome on there... I'd be surprised if any events worked in any browsers from that long ago, desktop or mobile.

But I'd need to know the browser + version to really say anything.

This is really good information, thanks. I knew my phone was old but didn't realize it being so outdated could be the cause. (Thankfully I'm getting a new phone this week, maybe this won't be an issue at all then!)

Just now, HeatherMarie said:

This is really good information, thanks. I knew my phone was old but didn't realize it being so outdated could be the cause. (Thankfully I'm getting a new phone this week, maybe this won't be an issue at all then!)

Unfortunately when it comes to fancy graphical things in web browsers, the video drivers are very important, and older devices definitely didn't have the best drivers.

14 hours ago, TJ09 said:

Generic threads with 50 different problems in them are usually not helpful since it results in 50 different conversations happening at once. I'd encourage people to make individual threads for individual issues.

Sorry, I thought it might be helpful to put everything in one thread, but that's a good point. Would it be better if we created individual threads for each mini game?

14 hours ago, TJ09 said:

That said, if you're reporting an issue, I'll need device OS + version *and* browser + version.

You didn't mention enough details to really look into anything, but I know older iPads don't have enough GPU memory to be able to play Snow Wars.

Yeah, I realized I left that out and was coming to add it. I have an Android 7.0 and mostly use "Free AdBlock Browser" (fancy name, huh?), though I have tried others like Firefox the last time this happened, I believe, and it didn't seem to make a difference. JavaScript is enabled (the other games don't seem to run without it anyway).

14 hours ago, TJ09 said:

Are you tapping the left side of the game? Is it darkening to indicate that it registered your tap?

Wait, you have to tap the opposite side of the screen that the character is on? Seems counterintuitive, but I'll try that. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Spiteful_Crow said:

Wait, you have to tap the opposite side of the screen that the character is on? Seems counterintuitive, but I'll try that. Thanks.

I think some of y'all aren't reading the instruction

Spoiler

IMG_4737.thumb.jpg.165614c93bd905bed7f89d4e1cafd724.jpg

I just use the up arrow to go up, and down for down. I gather mobile doesn't work like that ?

32 minutes ago, Moriaty said:

I think some of y'all aren't reading the instruction

You got me there, I was tired and did glaze over them too quickly that day, then just didn't bother again. But I think for most people, their instinct is going to be to tap the character to get them to move, not the other side of the screen.

In any case, I tried it a little while ago and it works fine... when I can get the game to respond to my taps in the first place. Most of the games like this (from numerous events) and the sledding game, to use another current example, seem to have issues responding at first, so I have to reload/mash the screen a bit, but then when they do respond, things work okay. My screen isn't busted or anything, so it may be a browser issue, I dunno. Still have minor nitpicks like getting an automatic game over for missing just one person, but that's not a technical issue. Oh well.

13 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I just use the up arrow to go up, and down for down. I gather mobile doesn't work like that ?

There aren't any arrow keys on a tablet or phone keyboard. ^^; At least none that I've ever seen. Maybe if someone had a physical keyboard with it. You have to tap on the screen itself.

Ah. My tablet has a keyboard thingy I can call up - but got it !

32 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Ah. My tablet has a keyboard thingy I can call up - but got it !

That's cool, then. The arrows on mine are only "up" and for turning on/off caps. I tried checking to see if I could get directional arrows, but didn't see any options.

Playing on PC. Just spent an hour repairing my snow fort manually, now I'm trying to edit it and decorate, but someone is attacking it while I'm moving things around and decimating it once again. I don't want to spend another hour trying to fix it. Is there a way to put in some sort of button to allow us to repair things all at once?

The white dragon statue only repairs at max 5 things, and then I have to wait an hour, so there's no point even using it when my fort is totally destroyed. Its pretty demoralizing having fixed everything finally, only to watch as it is destroyed in real time. I don't mind the destruction, its part of the fun of snow wars! But it takes so long to click on every individual tile to repair it! Is that necessary?

Edited by Aniia

1 hour ago, Aniia said:

The white dragon statue only repairs at max 5 things

? As far as I know, White Dragon Statues can fix things in a 4 by 4 area (16 tiles total).

I do agree with you that it's tedious to have to click so much to repair things. And I've accidentally destroyed things I meant to move more than once...

I realized that you can close a dialogue / return to the previous screen with the Escape key. Perhaps more keyboard shortcuts could be implemented, so that e.g. I can click on a statue and press R to repair it, M to move it, D to destroy it, and so on. That way you can do more things with less clicks.

6 hours ago, Aniia said:

The white dragon statue only repairs at max 5 things, and then I have to wait an hour, so there's no point even using it when my fort is totally destroyed.

Aside from what 0x08 said, you can have multiple white dragon statues together, use up one's spell, then destroy it and copy a new one from its neighbor and you'll get another spell immediately for a few resources.

Yeah, definitely not true it can only repair 5 things at a time, I've repaired *13* things at once with a single white dragon. It all depends on what you have where, though, since it's target range is limited. 

I am on an iPad Pro, using Safari v14.8.1, and when I try to play the Tetris game, there is no on-screen command to rotate the pieces, like there was previous years. Since I don't have a mouse, I cannot right-click to rotate, and can't get my virtual keyboard to pop up.

Edited by Cthulhu

23 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

I am on an iPad Pro, using Safari v14.8.1, and when I try to play the Tetris game, there is no on-screen command to rotate the pieces, like there was previous years. Since I don't have a mouse, I cannot right-click to rotate, and can't get my virtual keyboard to pop up.

Make sure you have it set to mobile and not to desktop. If you have it set to mobile, you should see Turn, Drop, and Move To Inventory.  

Hey, everyone, since TJ mentioned not wanting to deal with several different problems in one thread, I think I will make this one just for problems with Snow Wars. If you have issues with other games, please make a separate help thread for them. I could also link them in my first post if people keep coming here thinking this is still a general help thread. Thanks. :)

14 hours ago, missy_ said:

Make sure you have it set to mobile and not to desktop. If you have it set to mobile, you should see Turn, Drop, and Move To Inventory.  

This morning I used my Android tablet, tried to play Tetris, and there the turn command was!  I earned a number of points for my team.  So I will just use the Android instead of the iPad.  Problem solved.

2 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

This morning I used my Android tablet, tried to play Tetris, and there the turn command was!  I earned a number of points for my team.  So I will just use the Android instead of the iPad.  Problem solved.

I have an iPad Pro, and it’s what I use most often for Dragon Cave.  Your missing Tetris controls will appear on your iPad if you go to Website settings and turn off Request Desktop website. Then click on request mobile site. I am running iOS 15.2.

@Cthulhu and @missy_, I have changed this thread to help for Snow Wars only after TJ's reply. Could one of you please make a separate thread for the Tetris game if you still need help with it? Thank you. :)