BlueLatios

Breeding Pair Selection Filter

The idea is basically to rework the breeding page of dragons. I dare suggest to make it exactly like how Fertility BSA page works, choose a dragon from a list that can be filtered, and then confirm by typing in the password or all caps of "breed".

Some points along the way:
Breed buttons have caused several users to breed their dragons with unintended dragon mates. This happens more often with mobile users, when more than 1000 pairing options are being loaded and somehow, the position of those buttons jump (as they finish loading) as the users try to click the Breed button too early. Human error also happens from time to time. Confirmation before breeding gives an extra layer of prevention.

This removes the ease of Ctrl+F search, replacing it with a filter bar and a scrolling list. The extra confirmation step of requiring a password, or an all caps of the word "breed", makes the process of breeding slower, and massbreeders are supposedly greatly impacted by this, having their breeding efforts slowed down. This is a trade-off for accuracy in breeding and convenience, as well as smoother, if not faster, loading of the selecting breeding pair page for dragons.

One other alternative I can think of suggesting is pagination, which is to split the available breeding mates into multiple pages. May take a bit longer to search the intended mate if it's a new pair, but other than that, it shouldn't affect the breeding process much, while making the loading of the page faster.

This and similar has been suggested more times than I can count. 100% support for *any* sort of filter/organization-method that makes the breeding-page less unwieldy!  (Personally I'm still dreaming of a breeding-filter based on Groups, which was actually something I assumed a 'Groups' feature would come with in the first place...)

100% *against* an extra breeding-confirmation step though, that too has been suggested before and most of us would *not* want that. A lot of people breed nice things to the AP, or go on small breeding-sprees when trying to get a specific breed, and an extra confirmation with every single breed would be so annoying and frustrating I can't even put it into words. There is no non-biased reason for 'slowing down' breeders, and plenty of breeding page suggestions will make the page easier to handle without interfering with people's breeding that way. 

Most recent thread, in which I linked multiple older threads: 

As HeatherMarie says, filtering has been suggested before. I would support a fertility-like filter only if the dragons on the list were clickable to go to their view page before selecting them. In the fertility filter this can't be done and it would be essential to me to be able to check before breeding.

I would definitely not support having to go through an extra confirmation step before breeding each pair. I sometimes breed eighty or more pairs of my z-code dragons, looking for z-code offspring. Even if it only takes a few seconds for each pair it would quickly add up and make the process much more tedious than it already is.

What HeatherMarie and purplehaze have said. I would also like it if previous mates still went to the top so you could still find them easily

1 hour ago, purplehaze said:

As HeatherMarie says, filtering has been suggested before. I would support a fertility-like filter only if the dragons on the list were clickable to go to their view page before selecting them. In the fertility filter this can't be done and it would be essential to me to be able to check before breeding.

I right-click whichever mate I'm considering, to make sure.... (I support this suggestion, just saying !)

4 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I right-click whichever mate I'm considering, to make sure

On the fertility page? That just highlights the dragon, same as left-click.

I'm saying if the breeding page has a similar filter there needs to be a way to view the dragon you are selecting to be sure it is the one you want.

Please no double confirmation, but I would support a reworking otherwise. As I've said in many other threads, breeding is especially tedious when you have a lot of dragons to go through. 

Filter(s) on the mate selection page:

Yes please, that would be useful in some cases (mainly for dragons that don't have an established mate yet).

Exactly like the fertility page:

NO please. That page takes longer to load than the current mate selection page, so for dragons that already have mates appearing at the top of the list (which in my case is probably 95% of breedings) it would only make breeding more complicated with no advantage at all.

Maybe we could have two different "actions" on the dragon's page, "breed (classic)" and "breed (advanced)"? People would find out very quickly what it means and get used to it.

Definitely support having some way to filter through the breeding page. It's huge when you have more than a silver trophy. And I don't support asking for confirmation.

Pleeeaaase!  I wish for this every time a holiday rolls around and I'm frantically building lineages; if I could just type "Omen" or whatever into the filter box and eliminate 95% of my scroll from the list of mates, it would be so helpful!