PokeCat

Mistra BSA: Nurture

Currently, we have an Incubate BSA on our Red Dragons, one designed to remove a days time from an egg in order for it to hatch faster. There is nothing like this in existence for hatchlings. I don't think the incubate BSA works for hatchlings in the sense that incubating a hatchling wouldn't make sense in a realism context, but there are other dragons who I feel would be a good fit for that role. 

Mistra_male.png.dc3132c06e997d97d01448e677e87f0a.pngMistra_female.png.a4bb6482b6ecac5f8c80b7b4f133ebdb.png

The Mistra Dragon's description reads as follows:

Found along the coast and in nests high above the ground, Mistra Dragons are respected for their gentle nature. They are known to adopt any abandoned eggs or hatchlings that they find and raise them as their own, singing softly to lull their young into a deep sleep. As a result of their close relationships with their families, Mistra Dragons tend to live in large, close groups. They use their large numbers to their advantage for many things, including putting on shows (of sorts) and frightening predators away from their nests.

With their ability to sing to the hatchlings and eggs they raise, they could take in the hatchlings on your scroll to nurture them. Since, in a way, all the hatchlings on our scroll have is us, we're not as fit to nurture and raise them properly. But a Mistra Dragon can care for them and utilize their caring nature to take care of the hatchlings.

The BSA would work as follows:

Nurture

Description: Have [Dragon Name] spend some time with a hatchling to nurture them, allowing them to grow up faster.

Mechanics: Nurture removes one full day from a hatchling's timer. If the hatchling's timer is at 5 days or under, and has enough views, it will automatically grow up. 

Teleport and Abandon remove the effects of the Nurture BSA.

Cooldown is a full 14 days, like incubate. 

Cannot be used on hatchlings who's timer is under 3 days.

This effect cannot be used on hidden hatchlings.

This effect cannot be used on the same hatchling twice.

Possible additional mechanic; not able to be used on hatchlings that were incubated as an egg.

Success Message: [Dragon Name] spends time with the hatchling, allowing it to grow up faster.

No Hatchlings Available Message: There are no hatchlings that can be selected. Hatchlings that are hidden or in an active teleport cannot be nurtured.

I think this would be really useful for players as they would have a BSA similar to incubate that could be used on hatchlings. This would allow for more exploration and collection of dragons, and would also allow for the ability to fill the encyclopedia a bit faster. 

Edited by PokeCat
Added additional mechanic.

Support. We need an 'incubate' for hatchie too! Idc what is the BSA breed

!with one correction though. Incubate has a cd of 14d. 28 is for corporealise! I want 14d cd for Nurture too (just like most others)

Edited by camelia2

3 minutes ago, camelia2 said:

Support. We need an 'incubate' for hatchie too! Idc what is the BSA breed

!with one correction though. Incubate has a cd of 14d. 28 is for corporealise! I want 14d cd for Nurture too (just like most others)

I JUST realized that, that's my bad! Corrected that. Was looking at my Celestial when I typed it. All fixed though!

Edited by PokeCat

I really don't think there will ever be an incubate for hatchies; TJ (who yes may change his mind, but I'd lay money that he won't on this one...) has said many times that the potential for a double boost was unreasonable.

4 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I really don't think there will ever be an incubate for hatchies; TJ (who yes may change his mind, but I'd lay money that he won't on this one...) has said many times that the potential for a double boost was unreasonable.

What if it could only be used on hatchies that haven't been incubated? That was it's kind of a choice between do you need egg slots, or hatchie slots?

The main reason I like this suggestion is for hatchie lock. Incubate is great for opening up eggslots but hatchie lock just has to be waited out. When ap times are low it's really easy to become hatchie locked, some people might that's hatchie lock working as intended. But there's also the benefit of being able to grow up a dragon early that you might need for breeding on a certain day, pretty common with holidays. 

I've also said I'd use a hatchlings "incubate" over an egg one. I rarely use incubate but often find myself waiting for hatchlings to grow.

I'd MUCH prefer it for eggs, as the egg limit is only (for me) 8 and the hatchie limit is 16.

I think something like this is especially useful when you are trying to get plenty of/low time eggs of a breed variant that you cant incubate, or when the AP is low time as well as others have said. 

Id support; so it works if you don’t use incubate.

I definitely would support another way to make growing dragons more 'productive' (i.e. grow faster to allow for greater opportunity to collect more dragons, like with incubate.)

But if the concept of 'Nurture' conflicts with 'Incubate' as a BSA, another suggestion could be to have it compliment with another BSA, say Earthquake to increase the likelihood of egg hatching success (reasoning being hatchie inside egg would be less anxious, more comforted or something.) That would probably require its own thread however so I don't want to diverge from the original suggestion.

On 2/4/2021 at 10:31 AM, Murkydepths said:

What if it could only be used on hatchies that haven't been incubated? That was it's kind of a choice between do you need egg slots, or hatchie slots?

The main reason I like this suggestion is for hatchie lock. Incubate is great for opening up eggslots but hatchie lock just has to be waited out. When ap times are low it's really easy to become hatchie locked, some people might that's hatchie lock working as intended. But there's also the benefit of being able to grow up a dragon early that you might need for breeding on a certain day, pretty common with holidays. 

I like the idea that it couldn't be used to on eggs that were incubated! Would force people to choose between which slot they might need more, and would also prevent double boosting! Added it to the original post.

Support, and if TJ thinks it shouldn't stack with incubate that's fine in my opinion. Most of my issues with being hatchling locked come from low time AP catches or trading anyway, so I think it would still be quite useful.

Full support! Whether it can stack with incubate or not is something I'm neutral on, either way I'd be happy with this.

6 hours ago, MissK. said:

Support, and if TJ thinks it shouldn't stack with incubate that's fine in my opinion. Most of my issues with being hatchling locked come from low time AP catches or trading anyway, so I think it would still be quite useful.

Agreed.

I incubate all the eggs I get from the cave or breed, but seldom incubate things picked up from the AP and those are the ones that usually cause hatchie lock.

Support for this. Even if unstackable with incubate, it'd still be great because it means blue xols and pink/orange cantors can be boosted, at least. Purplehaze also makes a good point about AP eggs, since most of 'em are usually below the 4-5d mark so incubate doesn't really help on that either.

Supported. Really hope this makes it into the game, I'd love to be able to get over hatchie lock a little faster, even if it doesn't stack.

I used to Incubate pretty much every egg I got, but in the past year or two the AP times have been trending lower and it seems like a waste to use an Incubate when it can hatch naturally in a few hours. Like others, I do run into that problem of low-AP-times leading to hatchie-lock. I would love to be able to 'incubate' a hatchling, and if it can't be stacked with egg-Incubate that's totally a reasonable limitation. 

(I used to point out, whenever this topic came up, that the logistics of making a creature literally age faster just by caring for it more are iffy... But at this point I'll agree that could be handwaved a bit in favor of better game-play.)

For suggestions like this, how do they move forward? I assume the creator(s) of the dragon that's being recommended for the BSA (in this case, the Mistra dragon) has to weigh in and agree that the BSA would make sense with their dragon's lore?

Personally, I love the idea of an "incubate" for hatchlings that can only be used if Incubate wasn't, that sounds super reasonable and useful to me! But after reading the description for Mistras a few times, it doesn't strongly click for me as a match for this BSA, or not necessarily at least? I follow the logic of them being good at raising hatchlings, so maybe that helps them grow faster, but this part "They are known to adopt any abandoned eggs or hatchlings that they find and raise them as their own, singing softly to lull their young into a deep sleep" actually sounds like a growth staller to me, like a much nicer version of Stun? 😅 Like it would put hatchlings into a stasis rather than speed up their growth, so they could nurture them slowly.

That's just my interpretation, however, and I still think it would work if the Mistra's creator thinks their dragon is a great match for this. They'd know best, after all. If not, I'd love to see another dragon with this BSA. I know I'd use it a ton!

It will only ever work if TJ is OK with it. @TJ09 - any thoughts ?

I can't understand TJ's fix on making you wait that long and so against stacking them.

If I get a CB egg, incubate it and throw it in a hatchery, I can just come back to the grown thing after 5 days. 5 days of my life wasted waiting. 

While 'Nurture' would actually determine me to come back to interact again. More time spent playing and less wasted on waiting.

Most people play a game for roughly 3-4y before they get bored of it. The longer are the waiting times, the more likely is for people to get bored faster and to achieve less.

Suposing you are at maxed, in 1y you can rise 365:5=73 x8=584 CB dragons. If they could stack that hops to 728 CB. A better use of my time and allows to complete more projects.

Since TJ clearly stated that DC will never be based on a curency advantage, I don't see why not let you achieve more things in a shorter time. We are in the speed era after all and DC is way too slow.

(Don't get me wrong, I want it even if they don't stack. Still good use for AP and Holidays, but I just can't see why you should be so limited by time in a non-competitive game)

15 hours ago, camelia2 said:

I can't understand TJ's fix on making you wait that long and so against stacking them.

If I get a CB egg, incubate it and throw it in a hatchery, I can just come back to the grown thing after 5 days. 5 days of my life wasted waiting. 

While 'Nurture' would actually determine me to come back to interact again. More time spent playing and less wasted on waiting.

Most people play a game for roughly 3-4y before they get bored of it. The longer are the waiting times, the more likely is for people to get bored faster and to achieve less.

Suposing you are at maxed, in 1y you can rise 365:5=73 x8=584 CB dragons. If they could stack that hops to 728 CB. A better use of my time and allows to complete more projects.

Since TJ clearly stated that DC will never be based on a curency advantage, I don't see why not let you achieve more things in a shorter time. We are in the speed era after all and DC is way too slow.

(Don't get me wrong, I want it even if they don't stack. Still good use for AP and Holidays, but I just can't see why you should be so limited by time in a non-competitive game)

I'm very curious where you got the 'most people play a game for 3-4y' idea. Is there any data to actually back that up? I sure as heck wouldn't play a game for that long if it was boring or too slow, as you seem to believe DC is. The longest I've ever played *any* online game other than DC was about 2 years, I believe, and not every day like I do with DC. 

DC is not, and has never been, a 'gotta catch 'em all!' type of game. Speeding to get everything you want as fast as possible just isn't what DC is about, as evidenced by the waits in hatching and growing, the breeding cooldowns, etc. I'm all for a hatchling Incubate simply to combat hatchie-lock, but I do not at all agree that the game is too slow or the pace of it is a reason for a hatchie Incubate. (Also, I really really want to point out that those numbers on how many dragons you can raise are assuming you *only* get eggs from the biomes, never the AP or trading, so that's kind of the lowest-possible numbers if you play consistently. I have literally raised over 1k dragons in a single year (though some of that is freezies, but not a ton)....)

Edited by HeatherMarie