Ruffledfeathers

Have A Surname Option When Naming Dragons

Hi there!

Long story short, I was thinking of adding a ‘Surname’ option, which you could give selected dragons a specific surname which can be toggled on and off to view.

I only think like this as some lineage projects share a particular Surname, and having that carry through to lineage members on the scroll may be nice. It may act like a tag as such too.

Also the surname can sometimes take away from the name, and would be nice to keep the name without or with it. I know I can just add the surname, but there’s the possibility of it becoming too long, or just taking away from the forename itself.

What do people think? 

Personally, I don't think it's needed. I already do this kind of thing with naming, at least to some extent, and it works just fine for me.

I'm not sure how useful this would be as everyone has different naming preferences and we already have the ability to name our dragons whatever we want within reason. I don't see why we need to have a toggle-able feature. Also what about the people who want the ability to tag, but don't want to be forced to use a surname to do so?

Okay I *know* this was suggested not too long ago, I remember the thread but can't find it now?

I'm really not sure why this would be needed. We already have this ability. We can give our dragons whatever names we want (within reason). Including surnames, clan names, whatever. We already have the ability to give our dragons surnames if we wish, or to not if we think it messes up the name. I don't see how a new toggle-able feature would bring anything new.

You can also add certain dragons to groups, which could be names after a surname you want, if you don't want to put it in an actual name. That way it's not always visible, but if you did want it visible, you could just write it in their name. Agreeing with people here and saying that naming and grouping basically covers this so I don't think it's really needed.

I'm generally against attempts to shoehorn the free-text name field into boringly conventional space-separated names. No support.

I'm happy with the way things are. No support. We can add surnames so easily.

I can see the appeal of this but...you can easily do this yourself. Is it a pain in the butt if you have lots of dergs and are only just now adding a surname? Yes, but that's on you. *looks at 1k+ dergs she still has to add a surname to*

Looks at 7k I really meant to describe. I know what you mean. Start now with the surname!