Alexsouls

Choice of which egg to discard if you breed while at limit

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find it with a few search terms. would it be possible to have a choice of which egg to discard at the point you successfully breed and egg if you're at the limit? I am sad my soulpeace eggo went away..

I think because of the possible consequences to your collection, eg someone taking it and then 2 of your draggos being linked to a lineage out of your hands, it is a fair idea.

Has this idea already been ruled out? thank you

Edited by Alexsouls

To be honest, I agree with this. When you attempt to Summon, you cannot if you are egg-locked, which is great. I think if you breed and are successful, there should certainly be an option to choose if you want to discard it or choose a different egg to discard. 

If this is a bit too “cheaty” (perhaps some people might not approve because you should be more careful when choosing when to breed, and this would be quite a big mechanic to implement and would be somewhat game-changing) I really think that on the breeding page there should be a banner or warning of some sort stating that you are egg-locked and the egg you breed will be discarded. I’ve accidentally thrown Avatars into the AP this way T^T

How would this be implemented? A pop up? What if I'm at the scroll but not the egg-limit? Do I get to choose to abandon a hatchie instead? What if I'm breeding AGAIN without choosing what to AP, which can easily happen with breeding in multiple tabs This seems not really thought through.

Also - VERY against it. I use the auto-abandon to breed to the AP and I wouldn't do that as often if I had to click an extra time each time I breed when over the limit. I've auto'd stuff from a lack of attention. That sucks. It would be a far greater inconvenience if I couldn't share my babies as easily. It might be a great way to discourage massbreedings, but I'm pretty sure it would result in a much higher timed AP in general. And I don't want that.

Though I think we should always be careful to have a slot before breeding, there's always mistakes and inattention, these things happen. 

I personally don't massbreed because I don't have a lot to offer and that "which egg to discard" option could have save some "valuable" (for me) eggs, but I can see Herk's point. Maybe a warning? Not like a pop-up everytime you attempt to breed, but maybe a little line, in bold, visible in some kind of way, in the breeding page? Idk, I'd like a warning if I'm attempting to breed while locked, but I wouldn't want to make it harder for people to massbreed to the AP (as it is really useful for newbies!). 

Perhaps something like "You are at your egg/total limit. Anything produced will be automatically abandoned" above the subject on the "Breed" page, but certainly not anything that would force an extra action. Otherwise, no. I breed a lot when locked to share a bunch of lineages I like, so I don't want massbreeding to be any harder.

The reason Summon checks if you're locked is (I'm pretty sure) because your GoN is special. No one can have it but you.

You also cannot trade or abandon a GoN - you can only release an adult one (which wouldn't give it to anyone else either).

Also, nope.

No. I'd much rather have some sort of (non-invasive, non-pop-up) warning. Something like what Tabs said, just something simple to remind people that the eggs will be abandoned. That way there is no mistaking that you are breeding while locked, no 'omg it abandoned!', but also no annoying/'cheating' extra steps. As others have mentioned, it would be *very* annoying if you are trying to mass-breed to the AP and have to take an extra step (or multiple extra steps) with every single breeding because it's constantly asking you which egg you want to discard or whatever. Many of us breed when locked on purpose. We *want* the eggs to go to the AP. Deliberately making it harder for us to do those mass-breeds is not very appealing. 

And yeah, Summon is really not a good comparison at all, since GoNs are tied to your scroll and can't be abandoned/traded in the first place. 

Also, I kind of see this issue as similar to being locked and trying to grab an egg from the biome. Is there now going to be a suggestion to discard an egg in order to be successful at grabbing that rare biome egg? It's your responsibility to check your scroll status before breeding or hunting. If you see a CB Gold in the biomes but are locked, too bad. If you breed without taking two seconds to check your trophy, that's on you. Not trying to be mean or anything, but we've got to take some responsibility for our actions, yunno? If you are breeding something important then *check* first. Get in the habit of *always* checking before you breed, if this is something you are worried about. Heck, you could even put a post-it note by your computer to remind yourself to check. (Or show support for a warning on the breed page...)

I have accidentally bred while locked and abandoned some eggs that I really wanted and that had taken a long time to get -- but you know, that's just the way it is. We all know it. If we are careless we suffer the consequences. Allowing you to pick an egg to abandon instead does sound way too "cheaty" to me!

I might accept a message on the breeding page letting me know that I am at my scroll limit, but certainly nothing that would involve having to go through an extra step if I am intentionally breeding to abandon! I think a lot of people who breed eggs to share would just give up in that case, resulting in a loss of nice lineages in the AP and much higher times on the AP eggs that do get bred.

I would not mind a "you are now locked notification" if I'm scroll/egg locked, but no to this. I mass breed and I don't really want a notification to pop up every time I breed and I don't really like the idea of switching out eggs if say... something better comes along during breeding. If you're not sure if you're locked or not, visit the limits page or click your trophy before breeding.

It takes all of two seconds to check whether you are at the limit. Mistakes can happen, but I would just say that if people don't want eggs to auto-abandon then they shouldn't breed when they're locked.

I recently picked up an AP egg, then realized I might be able to have another shot at breeding a particular pair again.  I went to check if it was breedable before I actually abandoned the AP egg... and said, "Yay, breedable!  Clickclick breed!"  Predictably, it produced exactly the breed I was hoping to get, and then auto-abandoned.  I'd like a link on the "dragons successfully produce an egg, but you can't keep it" page to, oh, "abandon a different egg".  Presumably, if you close that page, the chance of keeping the newly-bred egg is gone.

However, I see that this might be a pain to implement.  I don't really agree that players should be penalized for absent-mindedness, however.

Definitely, please add a note at the top of the page, like "WARNING: you cannot hold any more eggs.  Any eggs your dragon produces will be automatically abandoned.  Please select a (fe)male to breed (dragon) to."  I'm sure we all have a tendency to ignore peripheral details, but a big exclamation point would help prevent accidents like that.

8 hours ago, Herk said:

How would this be implemented? A pop up? What if I'm at the scroll but not the egg-limit? Do I get to choose to abandon a hatchie instead? What if I'm breeding AGAIN without choosing what to AP, which can easily happen with breeding in multiple tabs This seems not really thought through.

Also - VERY against it. I use the auto-abandon to breed to the AP and I wouldn't do that as often if I had to click an extra time each time I breed when over the limit. I've auto'd stuff from a lack of attention. That sucks. It would be a far greater inconvenience if I couldn't share my babies as easily. It might be a great way to discourage massbreedings, but I'm pretty sure it would result in a much higher timed AP in general. And I don't want that.

6 hours ago, Dirtytabs said:

Perhaps something like "You are at your egg/total limit. Anything produced will be automatically abandoned" above the subject on the "Breed" page, but certainly not anything that would force an extra action. Otherwise, no. I breed a lot when locked to share a bunch of lineages I like, so I don't want massbreeding to be any harder.

The reason Summon checks if you're locked is (I'm pretty sure) because your GoN is special. No one can have it but you.

4 hours ago, UnicornMaiden said:

It takes all of two seconds to check whether you are at the limit. Mistakes can happen, but I would just say that if people don't want eggs to auto-abandon then they shouldn't breed when they're locked.

All these. And yes I slip up as often as anyone. But that's down to me. And I too breed to the AP, and it would be a royal pain in to have to click every time.

I am a no on the grounds of it is a royal pain in the ass to breed to the AP if one has to keep hitting confirm each time. Also -  its easy enough to check egg status with finding how many eggs/hatchie you have in the egg limits link on help. I have slipped up myself, but when I plan to breed anything important, I double check.

I'm pretty sure I've seen this suggestion in the past. And I believe my response then was that you can already do this today: Reserve one egg slot for this "feature," and always keep it free. Then breed, and abandon the  egg you don't want. The point being that the limits exist for a few reasons, one of which is to force you to make choices: do you hold onto an egg you like that you know you have, or do you abandon it and hope that you find something you like in the future? This sort of tension exists in pretty much every game with limits (i.e. pretty much every game), and serves to keep the risk-reward ratio in a good place.

Similarly, part of how decisions are made for things like this involves looking at how "balanced" things feel. If things currently feel like they're in a good spot, then adding things that make the game easier should be paired with some tradeoff that keeps things balanced. An example of one such tradeoff is in the (not entirely serious) suggestion at the beginning of my post: you can have this, but it costs you an egg slot. That said, I don't think people currently have a such hard time deciding which eggs to keep that the site should make it easier (things are probably bounded mostly by getting desirable eggs in the first place), and raising eggs is fast enough that states of "I have too many good eggs to breed my dragons for more good eggs" don't last for all that long.

15 hours ago, TJ09 said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen this suggestion in the past. And I believe my response then was that you can already do this today: Reserve one egg slot for this "feature," and always keep it free. Then breed, and abandon the  egg you don't want. The point being that the limits exist for a few reasons, one of which is to force you to make choices: do you hold onto an egg you like that you know you have, or do you abandon it and hope that you find something you like in the future? This sort of tension exists in pretty much every game with limits (i.e. pretty much every game), and serves to keep the risk-reward ratio in a good place.

Similarly, part of how decisions are made for things like this involves looking at how "balanced" things feel. If things currently feel like they're in a good spot, then adding things that make the game easier should be paired with some tradeoff that keeps things balanced. An example of one such tradeoff is in the (not entirely serious) suggestion at the beginning of my post: you can have this, but it costs you an egg slot. That said, I don't think people currently have a such hard time deciding which eggs to keep that the site should make it easier (things are probably bounded mostly by getting desirable eggs in the first place), and raising eggs is fast enough that states of "I have too many good eggs to breed my dragons for more good eggs" don't last for all that long.

I totally go for all this post. Basically, don't breed when locked. So very simple.

That's a very good way to look at the issue, actually.... Limits are there for a reason and deliberately subverting those limits probably won't happen, but there are ways to do it yourself. TJ's idea is great, and is basically just taking what most of us already do a step further. Instead of just making sure you are unlocked every single time you breed, just deliberately keep one slot always open. Pretend you have one less egg slot then you actually do. The human mind is a very flexible thing and it is completely possible to do that, to simply get used to 'having' one less egg slot in your mind, and that way even if you forget to check your trophy before breeding it won't really matter. 

16 hours ago, TJ09 said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen this suggestion in the past. And I believe my response then was that you can already do this today: Reserve one egg slot for this "feature," and always keep it free.

As someone who thinks she needs  12 egg slots and associated hatchie slots, I don't do this. But i do routinely click my trophy badge before breeding anything i want to keep.  I certainly don't want to have to choose every time i breed something on my days of massbreeding BSAs for the AP.

I have thought about this in the past when I have caught an over limit Egg without meaning to.  It would have been nice to choose between which of the Eggs that I'd caught that I wanted to keep.

3 hours ago, Husky51 said:

I have thought about this in the past when I have caught an over limit Egg without meaning to.  It would have been nice to choose between which of the Eggs that I'd caught that I wanted to keep.

I think having this suggestion encompass biome eggs would be a bit too extreme. The suggestion regards eggs that you’ve bred, and that you yourself can control, but if it were enabled in the biomes, you could just sit in them literally all day waiting for super rares to come along and if you grab them on time you could essentially just get infinite rares because you’d never be egg-locked.

I agree that egg-locked should still remain a thing, but I’d like the option to toggle whether you want swap-outs or not, so that when you breed, people who breed for the AP wouldn’t be inconvenienced, but people breeding for themselves wouldn’t make the mistake.

21 minutes ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

I agree that egg-locked should still remain a thing, but I’d like the option to toggle whether you want swap-outs or not, so that when you breed, people who breed for the AP wouldn’t be inconvenienced, but people breeding for themselves wouldn’t make the mistake.

Would you be okay with it if that toggle disabled one of your egg slots? Based on TJ's post (and his posts in other Suggestions) it seems like something this big would have to come with some sort of trade-off. You can't deliberately circumvent the limits with no downsides at all, there has to be a cost. (And yes, TJ's suggestion was 'not entirely serious', but based on the tone of that post I'd say there probably isn't much hope for this suggestion anyways...) 

Also, it's fairly simple to not 'make the mistake', take two seconds to check your trophy. If you forget and something auto-abandons, maybe from then on you'll be more careful. It's not like there is some big issue trying to figure out if an egg will auto-abandon, it's very simple to check.

Edited by HeatherMarie

Thanks for the replies everyone. I hadn't realised this would inconvenience people breeding to the AP and can see how that would be annoying. I know it's simple to check and might seem lazy but I suffer cognitive problems so am prone to stuff like this and just thought I'd put it out here to discuss in case it was a popular idea. I wasn't suggesting it was a huge issue, just that it's one where you lose control of a lineage quite easily.

I would revise my suggestion to displaying the eggs/total info (currently displayed via the trophy) at the top of the breeding partner selection page also if that's easily implemented/wanted by anyone else as that's where the info seems relevant and would help if you miscount. The toggle option sounds nice too. But again I don't know if there's an issue there I might not be considering and understand that the game wide "difficulty" is a consideration in these things as TJ mentions. I'll just hope my big shiny child doesn't forget where it came from. 

To solve the thing of it possibly being more annoying when massbreeding to AP, perhaps this could be impemented via editing the page with

The two dragons breed to produce an egg. However, you realize that you have plenty of eggs and hatchlings to take care of, so you decide to abandon it.

on it to also have options to "Abandon this egg instead!". If you just want to breed all your stuff to the AP, this would not involve any extra hassle.

@osmarks I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are suggesting. You want to replace the automatic-abandon text with an 'abandon this egg instead'.... Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but wouldn't that still involve extra steps? You'd either have to choose an egg to abandon instead, or (presumably) take an extra step to actually allow the bred egg to auto-abandon. Unless you mean have that option *after* the egg is auto-abandoned, so you can get it back or something, but that really doesn't make sense.

10 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

@osmarks I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are suggesting. You want to replace the automatic-abandon text with an 'abandon this egg instead'.... Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but wouldn't that still involve extra steps? You'd either have to choose an egg to abandon instead, or (presumably) take an extra step to actually allow the bred egg to auto-abandon. Unless you mean have that option *after* the egg is auto-abandoned, so you can get it back or something, but that really doesn't make sense.

On the page you get when you breed a thing but are full, there could be a bunch of options to abandon other eggs instead, but if you just close the tab/go back it could default to abandoning the one you bred.