The_Impossible_Girl

Halloween Event & Trick or Treating Discussion

As the title says, this is a place to disscuss the Halloween event as well as other things as long as they're DC Halloween related. For me my favorite part has been the release of previous years Halloween dragons and  the tricks and treats that I've collected so far. Although in light of recent political events, I find this one is a little dark. Also, is  anyone else excited for the new dragon release on the 31st?

I've been enjoying collecting the treats and looking through my basket to the prior years. I love the dividing banners too! Does anybody have all the treats from all the years? I'd love to see your basket!

Is it still worth breeding your Halloween dragons to give away or is everyone going to be more interested in the CBs that are now available?

I suspect that there are some people with checker projects and the like who desperately want to see bred Halloweens. I was planning on breeding late in the cycle, so that once the new Halloweens are grown, we still have an AP full of Halloween eggs to catch.

53 minutes ago, Charity322 said:

Is it still worth breeding your Halloween dragons to give away or is everyone going to be more interested in the CBs that are now available?

I think it really depends. Electing to collect CBs over bred eggs will push a lot of people's lineages back a year. Some people will prefer working on projects, while others will make the most of this opportunity to increase their CB count. I arranged to gift someone four eggs before we saw the new biome and they still took the four eggs, putting off the CB hunt till after those fellows hatched. One they wanted specifically because they couldn't continue the lineage without that particular egg. So yeah, really depends!

I enjoyed collecting all the treats and comparing them with my loot from previous years. Unfortunately, I'm missing 2014's treats. If only there was a biome for those, eh? ;P Overall, I do think the first year's treats are my favourite -- the little food sprites are so cute! I feel as though the treats have become more abstract and reference-heavy over the years. While they're still cute, I miss all the candies and chocolates. x3

2 minutes ago, Varekis said:

I enjoyed collecting all the treats and comparing them with my loot from previous years. Unfortunately, I'm missing 2014's treats. If only there was a biome for those, eh? ;P Overall, I do think the first year's treats are my favourite -- the little food sprites are so cute! I feel as though the treats have become more abstract and reference-heavy over the years. While they're still cute, I miss all the candies and chocolates. x3

I agree. I don't watch much tv anymore, I'm not into anime, and I don't play video games. (Yes, I'm on the older end of the spectrum of DC users.) It's kind of annoying to constantly ask my teenage daughter if she knows what any of those treats are referencing. It's been the same with the Easter eggs.

Don't get me wrong, I still love collecting the treats and admiring the work put into them! I'm definitely grateful to the spriters who donate their time and talent to give the rest of us some sweet artwork to collect. But yeah, I miss all the candies and such from the first year, and would love to see more of those sometime.

Varekis

Agreed. I'd be scouring the AP if I hadn't been MIA for three years. I was MIA, though, and while I have been lucky in grabbing 2nd Gen purebreds, it just isn't the same as being able to start off with an actual CB when you see a combination you'd like to start or there is a stair or spiral line you want to continue but can't. :(

And yes!!! The treats! (Along with the Easter Eggs...) Man, I'd love for there to be a way for those who missed previous years to get them. I recall seeing lots of suggestions about that back when I had the stamina to keep up with the Forum more.

catstaff

:D I'm "kind of" an elder. I totally get what you mean by not being able to recognize Treats and Easter Eggs. I'm glad that after the events the Spriters tend to reveal what they are or the influence.

Edited by Nyxity

24 minutes ago, Nyxity said:

And yes!!! The treats! (Along with the Easter Eggs...) Man, I'd love for there to be a way for those who missed previous years to get them. I recall seeing lots of suggestions about that back when I had the stamina to keep up with the Forum more.

Oooh, it would be nice if one of those suggestions are implemented! I'm still kicking myself for missing this year's Festival of Eggs. I really want the Slytherin and Hitchhiker's Guide eggs. :c

Well, I definitely prefer CB until I reach 3 pairs of them, and then my hoarding need will wake up (and AP is better for that, because lower time and lineages). But it will take a few years for me - since I missed so many Halloweens, this year I'm lowering my demands to 1 CB pair of each, so even if I'll catch third Grave in next batch, I'll trade it. But of course if there will be some eggs in AP after this year's Halloweens hatch, I'll gladly hunt in AP.

And even though I prefer CB over lineaged and catching over breeding, this year I bred all my CB Halloweens with non-Haloween mates, and kept only 3 of them (partially because of my stupidity, but with new biome I'm glad I have only 3). Hope new owners will love them.

This is the first year I've been on DC, and while I was here for Easter, I only found two eggs. :( This time though, I've gotten 30 already! More than half way there, and it's only the second day :D I wish there was a way to catch up with the eggs you've missed in the past, although I suppose it's also kind of exclusive; if you miss one it's a shame, but if you got one, it's even more special.

Every time I look at the wizard costumes I think of "I put on my robe and wizard hat"...

Anyway, loving this event and I'm so so happy to get a chance at some CB marrows! 

13 hours ago, PolarVortex said:

I've been enjoying collecting the treats and looking through my basket to the prior years. I love the dividing banners too! Does anybody have all the treats from all the years? I'd love to see your basket!

I have all ToTs from all of the past Halloween events. I just can't easily make a direct link to it because of console limitations.

As far as I know, baskets cannot be shared easily (e.g. via a link or somesuch), but the wiki has all treats.

@Ruby Eyes

You actually can share a trick or treat basket. All you have to do is the following:

https://dragcave.net/trickortreat/[your scroll name here]

For example, my basket is 

https://dragcave.net/trickortreat/xdlugia

It also works if you go to a person's scroll and click their treat basket. ^-^

@Siliskor @PolarVortex

Your basket Siliskor. And all the treats, courtesy of Siliskor, Polar Vortex.

https://dragcave.net/trickortreat/Siliskor

Now if it wasn't this treat basket everyone was talking about, then sorry for all the notifications! XD 

Huh. That's news to me - yay! But I think this was not always the case, was it?

1 hour ago, auroshen said:

Every time I look at the wizard costumes I think of "I put on my robe and wizard hat"...

I thought this too. XD

The new Halloween biome definitely changed my hunting plans, but I still plan to collect bred witchlights since they are much easier to get than stalking the biome and hoping to catch the breed that I need. I'll also breed my babies for the people who don't care whether or not they are CB. I'd also rather have a flooded AP that lasts beyond the 31st.

14 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Huh. That's news to me - yay! But I think this was not always the case, was it?

I'm pretty sure it has been. At least, I remember it has always worked that way. Perhaps not clicking the basket on your scroll, but the link method I think was always a thing.

I might be wrong though.

Strange. I was sure clicking someone else's basket or pumpkin used to not yield anything. Whatever it was, now it's good XD

I have a hard time getting eggs, and my bred eggs keep getting sick. I love the new Harry potter style wizard things. I got the blue one for free and bought the red one. 

The basket showing treats has always worked for me, and I was here when the storm dragons (grey dragons) where realised.

I have always really enjoyed the Halloween events, but I think this years is my favorite! I really like dressing up my hatchie and taking him trick or treating. It's very fun and simple. I love that we can get CBs from past years. I was missing quite a few CB sets but now I am almost caught up! I can't wait until the new dragon is released. I loved the Witchlights design from last year so I hope to see another cool dragon this year!

Treats: The fact that the

Spoiler

black dog / wolf

is currently right on top of the

Spoiler

snake ghost

so that they appear to be communicating (Bork. - Boo.) amuses me more than it probably should. :P

DC Halloween has always been my favourite event, but this year is even better than usual! :D I just really wish we had some bred-only slots for AP hunting...

Someone I visited dressed their Caligene hatchling in nothing but the yellow hat, and it looks perfect!

This event makes me so happy. :D

I don't do lineages and don't particularly care about CBs either way, so I'm still mostly focused on the AP. The only exception there is getting two CB Pumpkins, since that's the only Halloween breed I have zero CB adults of (only got 1 CB when they came out, was stupid and froze it). Actually, I rather like picking up and dropping multiple AP Halloweens in an effort to find the messiest lineages that I know others would probably throw back.

This may be my favorite event-game in years. I love dressing up my Pumpkin hatchie, and visiting everyone else's hatchies! The artwork is so cuuute, and I like the laid-back approach much better then the frustratingly difficult Minesweeper-ish game from last year.

Edited by Marie19R

6 minutes ago, Marie19R said:

Actually, I rather like picking up and dropping multiple AP Halloweens in an effort to find the messiest lineages that I know others would probably throw back.

Hm... *Thinks of my near impossible goal that deals with two really messy inbreds* I shall do my best to keep you in mind.

That's so cool! Thanks for sharing the baskets! 

I normally wait to breed all my checkers on Halloween night, but this year I'm worried they might die behind the AP wall... so I may just breed  most of them tomorrow instead. I'm personally torn about collecting CBs or working on my lineages. I did get the Pumpkin pair and male Marrow CBs that were imperative... I'd love some more of each but I have soooo many breeding projects going too. I'll for sure be hoarding from the AP next week after my newbies hatch, trying to find 2nd, 3rd and 4th gens to mate with mine.