TJ09

2017-10-14 - Dragon Encyclopedia Update

5gZBcq.gif

AW YEAH WORLDBUILDING. Thanks TJ!

It's nice that old entries are still being tended to. I have a lot to do suddenly :')

The only entries needing unlocking for me was Nilias and Spinels, and I've got both completely unlocked now. But I have like 20 tabs open, reading all the new information! This is so much fun.

I like the new entries but not every dragon on the list seemed to have anything added, was kinda looking forward to seeing the info on vampires and stuff but oh well.

Edited by blockEdragon

Oh wow, I loved reading the previous ones. So I'm glad there are some more.

This is very cool, but upon reading the marrow page I've found a couple biological issues.

1. Skeletal matter pokes through their skull and spine, all the way down their tail.

--the spine and skull ARE skeletal matter. I think this should be something more like "the skeletal matter of the skull and spine pokes through their skin, all the way down to the tail."

2. Exoskeleton pushing through skin is painful; hatchlings often rub up against trees, rocks, and each other to help the passing of bone through skin.

--the definition of an exoskeleton is a skeleton on the OUTSIDE of the animal, which is not what marrows have. Instead the internal skeleton penetrates the skin in some places. A better choice of wording may be "As the skeleton starts to push through the skin it becomes painful; hatchlings often rub up against trees, rocks and each other to help the passing of bone through skin."

Overall I love how the hatchlings have to wait to eat marrow until they are adults, that's a neat point. But the biologist in me (I have an MS in ecology) needs to point out these small errors.

So many new entries, this is great ! Thank you, TJ ! And thank you, spriters and whoever else wrote up all the dragon lore !

My beloved Shadow Walkers finally got an article ! And I'd love them even more now, if that was possible in any way ! As it is I'm just happy that their encyclopedia facts add perfectly to all the reasons why I love them so much. :)

Wows that a huge update. Nothing for Bautas sadly. Though they are new, so figures they wouldn't have anything. Also kinda ironic how many spelling and grammar errors are in some of theses, when to describe your own dragon your expected perfect English.

2 hours ago, AngryMothNoises said:

Wows that a huge update. Nothing for Bautas sadly. Though they are new, so figures they wouldn't have anything. Also kinda ironic how many spelling and grammar errors are in some of theses, when to describe your own dragon your expected perfect English.

This is a little OT but I wanted to respond to this as well as leave my thoughts on the encyclopedia update. On many "pet," sites, most content is hidden behind a login wall, meaning players have to have accounts in order to see certain things. The encyclopedia is one of those things for DC; it is not something that the public can just come onto DC and see. User-generated descriptions for dragons are, however. The site wanting to put up a good front with things that anyone can see is not an unreasonable demand. It would be far less professional and seem much more out-of-place to have a nice description of the breed and DC dragons in general then have "lol my draGONS name is sur snOUTs and he's teh most radical raptile in the hole world," directly after. TJ wants to give off a good, clean, professional first impression for the public. I don't think that's unreasonable; we could be barred from using any descriptions at all.

The encyclopedia entries, on the other hand, are things most players can't even see. I have a majority of my encyclopedia blocked out because I only focus heavily on the breeds I like (and don't have any holiday dragons to begin with). A little typo or mistake there is far easier to fix and reaches far fewer people - in theory - than a description that is public to the entire internet.

Now, onto the update! I was mainly excited for this after seeing Sinii Krai were on the list. However, there seems to be nothing there for me...? I certainly have enough of the breed for info omg.

What was updated for them?

It seems like a few of the dragons listed didn't actually have any updates at all, unless it was some sort of behind-the-scenes update that we can't see. A small handful of the ones listed don't have any information whatsoever, even after this update.

And I understand how someone could be annoyed/frustrated with they mistakes in these updates... It is definitely *much* more then just "a little typo or mistake", as a good handful of entries have every single section repeated twice, and I stopped counting how many typos I found. Given that the encyclopedia is something that's updated rarely, I would assume there would be ample time to proofread before pushing things out. But whatever.

Are we ever going to see Leetle Trees in the Encyclopedia?

It feels incomplete somehow. The Dinos are there, the Chickens are there... no Leetle Trees.

Oooh, new lore-based stuff!

"Reads Black Marrow and Shadow Walker entries"

....This is just adding more fuel for me to use with a certain dragon couple of mine. XD

7 hours ago, Marie19R said:

It seems like a few of the dragons listed didn't actually have any updates at all, unless it was some sort of behind-the-scenes update that we can't see. A small handful of the ones listed don't have any information whatsoever, even after this update.

And I understand how someone could be annoyed/frustrated with they mistakes in these updates... It is definitely *much* more then just "a little typo or mistake", as a good handful of entries have every single section repeated twice, and I stopped counting how many typos I found. Given that the encyclopedia is something that's updated rarely, I would assume there would be ample time to proofread before pushing things out. But whatever.

Wondering this myself. I thought maybe the elements were changed for some, but I'm pretty sure caligenes have always been death, so I'm scratching my head as to what's different. 

Thanks for the update! After going through all the dragon pages on the site, I was able to compile that the following listed dragons didn't receive any visible update on the site to players: Caligene Dragon, Cassare Dragon, Sinii Krai Dragon, Tetra Dragon and Vampire Dragon. There are also entries that I've picked up on some typos as well, though at this point I only have Lunar Heralds recorded for this.

For any encyclopedia enthusiasts who can spare the time to help, the wiki needs you! At the moment, many of the dragon articles are missing their entries or lack their updated information- you can find the list of dragons here. If you are able to contribute to filling in this information or updating it, please don't hesitate to edit! If you're put off by "wiki code", you can send me PMs that include the raw information just copy-pasted from the site and I'll make sure it's added in. Please be sure to include the information verbatim from the website- it's not the wiki's place to correct typos/information, and correcting it there won't update it on the website either :)