angelicdragonpuppy

ANSWERED:Solved!

Is this actually something the forum can do? Probably not, but I'm going to ask, because the current system is dumb.

Right now, if you send a PM to someone, then delete said PM... even if they reply, you don't get their message, because you left the "conversation."

Is there no way the forum can automatically re-add someone if they message you back? I don't want to keep my inbox cluttered with 34348034 PMs to people who might never answer, out of fear that if I do delete them, they might finally answer and I'd never see it.

Which is actually what I'd been doing since the forum updated, without realizing. Wonder how many breeding requests I sent out were answered kindly only for me to seemingly answer by completely ignoring them. -____-

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I would bet it isn't. The messaging thing is as set up by invision. That was the kind of thing the last invision forum I was on that upgraded and regretted it gave up over. You can't archive, either :angry:

51 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Right now, if you send a PM to someone, then delete said PM... even if they reply, you don't get their message, because you left the "conversation."

Argh oh my gosh please tell me you're joking. ;_; If that's honestly how it works, I've probably made my inbox 90% useless with the number of conversations I deleted.

And if that's honestly how it works, yes, please can we get this fixed? For example, there's an old 2G shimmer PM thread I definitely deleted and might yet get a follow-up PM with a shiny in it, which was meant for a friend. If I might have already gotten an answer while being totally unaware of it, that's really distressing. *checks progeny of shimmer nervously* *...relaxes* That was a tense moment. x_x

As I said - I think this is out of TJ's hands. It's an invision thing. When he said he was upgrading I archived all mine, just in case...

In the event that the original suggestion is not doable... maybe there could be some kind of warning or notification that a user is replying to a one-person conversation? Maybe I'm stupid but I've done it a couple times and it wasn't obvious to me that the other person could never receive my reply. Perhaps even disabling replies when you're the only person remaining in the conversation - it confuses me that the system allows users to basically talk to themselves in PMs. Just a thought.

I wish I was joking, Pinkgothic. I deleted a lot of messages immediately following sending them, too. -___-

And no Terces you're not dumb. It does say you're leaving the conversation, but I always figured it would start again if replied to, because it IS so dumb that people can message just themselves. e___e

@Fuzz I wish I'd archived mine, I didn't bother after seeing PMs would be saved, not expecting they'd be buried under literally thousands of DELETED posts... whoever created this messaging system need a good bop on the skull. -___-

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Now I am glad that I never delete PMs. If this is possible to fix, please do.

That... is a new kind of awful. Did the person who designed this system know how people use PMs?

I do hope it can be fixed, if only by notifying the person replying that they're in a one-person conversation...

I think the most reasonable course of action is:

• Disallow replying to conversations in which you are the only participant, which should make it clear that the other person left.
  • Remove the limitation on re-adding people to conversations.

The first one might be the only one necessary, since it means you can't accidentally send a reply without realizing the recipient won't see it. The second one is just a nice quality-of-life followup; instead of needing to go and start a new message thread, I see little harm in allowing the old one to come back. Presumably the limitation is there to prevent abuse (e.g. someone repeatedly adding you to a thread you don't want), but I doubt that's a real problem, and if it is, it can be handled through moderation on a case-by-case basis, instead of hard restrictions.

I haven't looked into the specific code, but my proposed changes are perfectly doable.

Ahhh yes, so it is doable! Hurray! I'd be happy with either of those, although both sounds best (unless it automatically re-adds people to a conversation, in which case the first doesn't matter)

Thanks for the quick reply!

6 hours ago, TJ09 said:

I think the most reasonable course of action is:

• Disallow replying to conversations in which you are the only participant, which should make it clear that the other person left.
  • Remove the limitation on re-adding people to conversations.

The first one might be the only one necessary, since it means you can't accidentally send a reply without realizing the recipient won't see it. The second one is just a nice quality-of-life followup; instead of needing to go and start a new message thread, I see little harm in allowing the old one to come back. Presumably the limitation is there to prevent abuse (e.g. someone repeatedly adding you to a thread you don't want), but I doubt that's a real problem, and if it is, it can be handled through moderation on a case-by-case basis, instead of hard restrictions.

I haven't looked into the specific code, but my proposed changes are perfectly doable.

Thanks TJ. I am vastly impressed by your powers. Is there POSSIBLY a way to get away from having that tiny box at the side of the page, and have conversations (ugh) displayed in a BIG column, like PMs used to be ?

Yeah, I'd be very happy with either (or both) of those options, thanks TJ!