Moonlight_Eevee

Unique Egg Descriptions

Am I seriously the only person who clicks on Ridgewings/dorsals in the cave just to see which it is?   I don't even keep most of them, someones always looking for them.  But I like the "surprise".   

And the frill vs horse doesn't bother me that much even if I do seem to be more likely to get the one I don't want.  It's still better than back in the cave when there were FOUR breeds with matching descriptions.  

Pinks vs. Flamingos: pinks are in every biome, flamingos are only in coast in jungle.  hunt for the one you want.

can't comment on moonstone vs. sunstone. I don't collect them. 

Regarding why we can't see the differences in the biomes, this is just a thought and I'm pretty sure it's not 'official' in any way, but I remember one of the times this general topic came up in the past some users agreed that we probably can't see extremely well when we are looking at the eggs in the biomes... I think it might've had something to do with the flavor text back before we had biomes, but I can't remember for sure. But basically, you are sneaking around attempting to steal eggs from nearby adult dragons, so you probably wouldn't look too closely at the eggs or spend a long time figuring out different features on the egg. For instance, for Dorsals the description says that you see 'multiple bands of color', but maybe you don't see the exact colors. So you grab it, and only when you are safely away from any adult dragons that may attack you do you really look closely at the egg. 

That's just an idea, but I do remember users talking about it. It's not necessarily a reason against changing the descriptions, just a possible explanation. 

5 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

Am I seriously the only person who clicks on Ridgewings/dorsals in the cave just to see which it is?   I don't even keep most of them, someones always looking for them.  But I like the "surprise".   

And the frill vs horse doesn't bother me that much even if I do seem to be more likely to get the one I don't want.  It's still better than back in the cave when there were FOUR breeds with matching descriptions.  

Pinks vs. Flamingos: pinks are in every biome, flamingos are only in coast in jungle.  hunt for the one you want.

You can't do that ridgewing thing any more, I believe....

But I agree entirely. First World Problem and not that terrible.

7 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

"Not that terrible" doesn't mean "perfectly fine, keep it this way".

It means "perfectly fine; there are far more important things that need doing" - like sorting out the rules for the trading hub.

It REALLY make so very little difference to anything. 5 hours per egg at worst. And then you can trade what you don't want.

4 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

It means "perfectly fine; there are far more important things that need doing" - like sorting out the rules for the trading hub.

It REALLY make so very little difference to anything. 5 hours per egg at worst. And then you can trade what you don't want.

Yes, there are significant things, more significant than this.

Yes, it does matter. The significant things are being ignored anyway and the little things build up.

Well, I am sorry it bugs you so much, is all. I await pagination in the trade hub, myself, and the full rules in an obvious place.

6 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Um, yes I can.  because I said I pick them up.    Not being able to would imply they don't exist in cave anymore. 

Oh right - misunderstood you there. Sorry. :)

8 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

One thing to keep in mind here is that those five hours can effectively take much, much longer the moment you don't have more than five hours free time. For example, during the work week, the five hour cooldown is effectively 20 to 24 hours for me, and I doubt I'm the only one affected by this (though, by all means, if it turns out I'm the only one, ignore me XD).

I'll ignore you just for the heck of it ! But I take your point.

Just because there are “more important things” doesn’t mean the little things should just be ignored 🙄 

Imo this just isn’t logical - yeah the character might not be “looking that closely” but I’m sure I could distinguish something bright green from something bright purple. We really aren’t asking for much, but it’d make sense to say “This green egg has strange markings” and “This purple egg has strange markings”. Something as simple as that is really all we’re asking for. Not game-changing, not game-breaking, one word. And it just makes sense to change, considering as far as I know these characters are able to distinguish one colour from another.

Alts/variants on the other hand, I agree shouldn’t be changed. Most alts don’t have physically different eggs anyway so that’d be useless, but the surprise of finding out which Ridgewing you get is always fun, and seeing as it’s the same breed I don’t support changing those descriptions. It’s when two completely separate and different breeds have the same description I have a problem with.

Edited by RealWilliamShakespeare

I'd like to say that I'm happy that people drop CB purple Ridgewings to the AP because they are incuhatchable when I pick them up from there XD

On Moonstones and Sunstones: I'm actually looking for something very specific (namecode), but from both breeds, for about a year now. I guess the same description would bother me somewhat should I *ever* be in the position of having enough of one type and not enough of the other. Right now, the shared description in fact makes it easier for me when hunting.

Horses and Frills ... I don't mind. I have my share of both :lol: But honestly, the same thing that's true for Ridgewings is also true for Horses and Frills: Whoever wants one and not the other will drop the unwanted one to the AP, where it will be incuhatchable (in the current AP state) when picked up by those who *do* want them. The only downside of the AP is that there is no scheduled 5 minute shuffle to hang on to ;)

Considering that the other "strange markings" eggs were all given their own biomes before the frills came back I can't say I see the logic in "oh the strange markings have the same description because they're intentionally made to mess with people". At least then you could recall which biomes they were in to hunt for the strange markings you wanted. Now it's just RNG for a pair of entirely unrelated breeds.

The downside of the AP is you're relying on someone else to take the jump when neither frill nor horse are particularly desirable and five hours of waiting to toss and gamble again is a pretty big consequence for a common given it's a third of a waking day.

And no, I don't collect frills or horses nor do I care about the majority of other cross-descriptions because either they make some sense to be connected (alts, sun/moonstones) or there's some element of control in getting the one you want (pinks/flamingos, the other strange markings). I just think this one specific instance makes no sense in or out of game. I'd be fine if frills or horses were moved to a different biome instead if the description is a sticking point.

25 minutes ago, Shadowdrake said:

I'd be fine if frills or horses were moved to a different biome

I'm honestly not sure what horse-like creatures are doing in a jungle, anyway, being "fast runners" and doing "running takeoffs" ...

But then again, we're lacking some kind of open grasslands, meadow-style biome for them.

4 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

I'm honestly not sure what horse-like creatures are doing in a jungle, anyway, being "fast runners" and doing "running takeoffs" ...

But then again, we're lacking some kind of open grasslands, meadow-style biome for them.

That is a very good point. There have been suggestions for more biomes in the past, expanding the different types of places to better fit some of the breeds, I think the Horse is a very good argument for that. Besides it's actual breed description, it's encyclopedia says:

• Prefer warm areas with lots of space to run.
  • May den in wooded areas or caves, but open spaces must be nearby.
  • Can often be found on open prairies.

Which makes a pretty good case to actually have a 'prairie' type biome. I'd even say that it sounds like they'd be more suited for the Desert biome then the Jungle, especially give the background images in those biomes, the Jungle definitely doesn't seem a good fit for them while the Desert seems to have plenty of rock formations that they could use to 'den' in... I'd honestly be much more in support of changing their biome to better fit their breed descriptions, rather then changing the egg description.

1 hour ago, HeatherMarie said:

plenty of rock formations that they could use to 'den' in

If they would:

Usually avoid overly rocky areas.

Honestly I’d much rather be able to see what I’m getting than trying to guess what on Earth I’m clicking on. I know that won’t happen, but clearer descriptions would be nice.

On 8/13/2018 at 8:26 PM, HeatherMarie said:

That is a very good point. There have been suggestions for more biomes in the past, expanding the different types of places to better fit some of the breeds, I think the Horse is a very good argument for that. Besides it's actual breed description, it's encyclopedia says:

• Prefer warm areas with lots of space to run.
  • May den in wooded areas or caves, but open spaces must be nearby.
  • Can often be found on open prairies.

Which makes a pretty good case to actually have a 'prairie' type biome. I'd even say that it sounds like they'd be more suited for the Desert biome then the Jungle, especially give the background images in those biomes, the Jungle definitely doesn't seem a good fit for them while the Desert seems to have plenty of rock formations that they could use to 'den' in... I'd honestly be much more in support of changing their biome to better fit their breed descriptions, rather then changing the egg description.

It's been stated before that "Jungle" also includes steppe- or prairie-like areas, and that "Forest" also includes grasslands in the colder climates.

That being said, I just checked something. We had around 70 different eggs in the cave when the biomes were introduced, not counting any kind of special release/holiday dragon, or breed-only variants. Our biomes are filling up again, some have more than 60 breeds in them. Maybe it is time to split up the current biomes?

I remember that, when biomes came out, we had some biomes with very few dragons in them, especially desert was rather empty with what, less than 20 breeds? In any case, that seemed too little variety back then. Personally, I think an amount of 30 to 40 breeds is ideal.

Edited by olympe

I think the issue of adding more biomes definitely deserves its own suggestion thread.

Whether we get the addition of more biomes or not, I personally still think each dragon breed should have its own description. Our dragons are all very unique and different from each other, and are certainly deserving of their own unique descriptions. Some descriptions being deceptively similar is okay I think (I very shamefully mistook a Spotted Greenwing for a Siyat the other day -__-) but being exactly the same - whether in distinctive biomes or not - is a bit unfair. While I do agree that the problem would be resolved if they were all in different biomes (Pinks + Flamingoes for instance), I'd still advocate for them all having a unique description which only one breed has. 

Well, the description, "It's bright. And pink," does kind of fit both flamingos and pinks to the T, so I'm kind of okay with that. The eggs do look a lot alike, though not alike enough to be mistaken for the other. Plus, if you hunt in the Coast biome, your chances of catching a Pink are pretty slim. (Pinks are rarer, and spread over all six biomes.)

1 hour ago, olympe said:

Well, the description, "It's bright. And pink," does kind of fit both flamingos and pinks to the T, so I'm kind of okay with that. The eggs do look a lot alike, though not alike enough to be mistaken for the other. Plus, if you hunt in the Coast biome, your chances of catching a Pink are pretty slim. (Pinks are rarer, and spread over all six biomes.)

Just for completion's sake: Coast or Jungle.