Moonlight_Eevee

ANSWERED:One Time Custom Raffle Code

So, I've been looking around the forums and noticed people wanting a chance at a custom code. With the raffles being opened back up, this time everyone had a shot at winning at least once a month.

The one downside to this is the codes. They're just going to be a mishmash of numbers or letters stuck to the prize.

My suggestion is that since TJ is hosting these raffles, everyone should have at least one chance of obtaining a custom code of their choosing. Yes it would be a bit of a hassle, but let's say User X won a Gold Shimmerscale and used their custom code on it and in the next month User X won a Bronze Tinsel, they wouldn't have that option of using the custom code on the bronze tinsel.

I think that would be a bit fair for the people who missed out on the previous raffles to have that one time use of having a custom code.

Edit: (thanks ii!) People who already have custom code prizes on their scroll shouldn't get another chance as they already have one

Edited by Raptor of Dragons

I would really enjoy a chance at having one custom code on my scroll. c:

ETA: It also seems reasonable that people who already have a custom code on their scrolls shouldn't get another if this were implemented.

Edited by irrelevantindigo

I would like that, too! Even though I don't have a custom code in mind and will likely never win one of the raffles, I would still like this to be implemented. It just doesn't seem fair to only let the winners of the previous raffles have the codes and not even give the newer members a chance at all.

This sounds EXCELLENT to me. c:

I'd love to just have ONE shot of a custom code, just one, and treasure that dragon forever. biggrin.gif I also agree that previous winners who already have a custom code shouldn't get that one shot since they already have one! Everybody else can use their one shot custom code on one of their prizes and none other. :3

I think the current method is the simplest and easiest way to run continuous, regular raffles where you can claim your prize on your own time. As such, I'm sorry to say, but I don't support this.

I completely understand the draw of custom codes (I'd certainly pick one given the chance), but I just don't think this is necessary.

I think the current method is the simplest and easiest way to run continuous, regular raffles where you can claim your prize on your own time. As such, I'm sorry to say, but I don't support this.

I completely understand the draw of custom codes (I'd certainly pick one given the chance), but I just don't think this is necessary.

I agree that it is unnecessary, but I don't see how that prevents it from being a viable and fun option. :0

I don't understand how it would be tedious or strenuous to allow 60 users per month the option of a custom code. There would just have to be checks in place for no duplicate codes and no obscene codes, but there are already those for regular dragon names.

It would be cool if there was just some automatic process that could do it ("Oh, you won a prize! Pick a code--it's not used, you have scroll space--boom, generated"), but I don't know anything about coding or how complex that'd be :C

If it isn't that simple (and I'm guessing, sadly, that it's not or it'd be done already), then there are things TJ's time is better spent on, no matter how much I love custom codes and hoped to win one someday too.

It would be cool if there was just some automatic process that could do it ("Oh, you won a prize! Pick a code--it's not used, you have scroll space--boom, generated"), but I don't know anything about coding or how complex that'd be :C

If it isn't that simple (and I'm guessing, sadly, that it's not or it'd be done already), then there are things TJ's time is better spent on, no matter how much I love custom codes and hoped to win one someday too.

This is going to occur every month and codes that already exist can't be used. So it should be noted that rather than having TJ manually check the submitted codes every month for the winners, maybe a system could be created similar to the name checker when giving dragons a name? I'm thinking that this might have been part of why TJ did away with it because he always seems pretty busy.

user posted image

The options here are how it was pretty much set up for the 2014 raffle. If you add the same sort of mechanic as the name checker DC has, but change it for codes... Honestly, I'm not a coder, but theoretically it seems plausible.

Edited by Daydreamer09

I feel like this will just open the floodgates for people complaining that their ideal code has already been taken, after we get a few hundred winners. No support. sad.gif

I feel like this will just open the floodgates for people complaining that their ideal code has already been taken, after we get a few hundred winners. No support. sad.gif

That is a good point, but for me, my ideal code is Dalek. But that code is already taken and in use.

I have so many codes bouncing around in my head right now that it's not funny and would offer me great joy if I was able to use at least one of them

I definitely do support. If it's not too difficult to code, a one time option for a custom code appears to be a lovely option for future raffle winners, and frankly, I see no harm done.

This is going to occur every month and codes that already exist can't be used. So it should be noted that rather than having TJ manually check the submitted codes every month for the winners, maybe a system could be created similar to the name checker when giving dragons a name? I'm thinking that this might have been part of why TJ did away with it because he always seems pretty busy.

That's exactly what I meant--an automated system that lets you pick a code, checks the code, then generates a dragon ^^

People do this with the unique name system every now and then, but that doesn't mean that a lot of people aren't still very happy with said system smile.gif

I completely agree with this. But I don't know how complex this type of coding would be or whatever. But if its possible, I would definitely want it to happen.

I honestly thought the option for custom codes would be available for these monthly raffles. But if the codes cant be chosen in this automatic manner that was suggested, I would understand why TJ would rather stay away from custom codes all together.

The goal of raffles is to get the prize dragons back in circulation. I understand that the current implementation is more restrictive than the past holiday raffles, but honestly, I don't see a huge problem in that, since it's otherwise accomplishing the goal.

As such, I don't think the extra complication is necessary.