Moonlight_Eevee

Have a Discord Server

You CAN see offline messages from IRC if you use a bouncer or a client like irccloud.

You CAN see messages after tabbing away if you also use a client like hexchat.

You CAN have extremely mobile friendly IRC if you also use a client app like andchat or irccloud.

This all sounds like "you can use IRC if you install something else".

Why bother with that when I can just use a simpler program that already has those features?

You can just log in at any time and join the discussion, you can leave it open in the background for when something interesting happens, you can ping people if you need specific opinions or help

Discord has all of this.

you can just simple /join a new channel to create your own.

Discord's channel management lists all channels together, letting you see new posts in each one without separately joining every channel. You can create your own servers or use group DMs. The channel display makes it easy for new users to see exactly what is available at a glance.

You can just join the discussion without any troubles: no need to make accounts, no need to register names, no need to be annoyed by constant pop ups asking you to register or download software, no need to even think of a name.

You don't need a validated email to use Discord. You can use temporary accounts without emails just as easily.

Discord doesn't have pop-ups asking you to download the client.

Edited by ab613

@ Articray You do bring up good points.

One thing however, not everyone can or wants to have to use clients like that. It's a lot more straightforward to have an official discord.

But I still don't think the IRC must be closed for an official discord to open. Even if it means new chat mods and the like. Having the option be a real / official thing would be really appreciated by a number of people.

Edited by irrelevantindigo

Edit: I also noticed Sock looked at this yesterday (glad they didn't close this) but at the same time, they didn't give an input.

I have literally no say or input over the chat, nor am I considered chat staff.

@ Articray You are naming all of these things that you have to you in order to do what Discord already does.

I do not want to use three separate services/clients just to do what Discord already does. Waste of my time and effort.

IRC is not easy to use. Perhaps for you, it is, and good. I'm glad to hear that. For me, it is not.

Neither would I call IRC convenient. Especially if I have to a use several different things in order to get what I need.

I'm glad you find IRC is these things. I do not.

Edited by Kanaye

Why bother with that when I can just use a simpler program that already has those features?

While I really honestly appreciate your voice on the matter Articray, I really do, but I have to agree with ab613 and ii. Why dig through what could be millions of apps to find that specific one to install when you can have one simple one?

One day, IRC is going to become completely obsolete to use because technology is moving forward . If you sit there blindly saying that IRC is the equivalent of Discord, you're going to find that you're sorely mistaken.

Discord is everything you have rolled into one simple app. Once you download Discord, that's it. You don't have to download anything else and frankly, everyone has a phone​ nowadays so Discord can be with you on the go.

Edited by Raptor of Dragons

Discord has all of this.

Discord's channel management lists all channels together, letting you see new posts in each one without separately joining every channel. You can create your own servers or use group DMs. The channel display makes it easy for new users to see exactly what is available at a glance.

You don't need a validated email to use Discord. You can use temporary accounts without emails just as easily.

Discord doesn't have pop-ups asking you to download the client.

1. It's more "You can have all the extra features you want by getting a client or using the right web client".

2. Because customization, freedom of choice and open source are of huge importance to me, and Discord is extremely lacking when it comes to that compared to IRC

3. Okay

4. That honestly sounds like a nightmare.

5. Last time that I used it, I did get a ton of annoying messages asking me to make an account and to download the client.

I'll take my freedom of choice.

@irrelevantindigo There are a few browser based IRC clients, Mibbit is one of them, irccloud has their own web client too, it seems. Some networks even have their own specific browser clients, such as freenode and esper.

1. It's more "You can have all the extra features you want by getting a client or using the right web client".

2. Because customization, freedom of choice and open source are of huge importance to me, and Discord is extremely lacking when it comes to that compared to IRC

3. Okay

4. That honestly sounds like a nightmare.

5. Last time that I used it, I did get a ton of annoying messages asking me to make an account and to download the client.

I'll take my freedom of choice.

@irrelevantindigo There are a few browser based IRC clients, Mibbit is one of them, irccloud has their own web client too, it seems. Some networks even have their own specific browser clients, such as freenode and esper.

What do you mean freedom of choice?

I'm not trying to force people to go to Discord but one day, I don't know when, but one day people in the IRC chat might find themselves going to Discord because of how obsolete IRC has become

What do you mean freedom of choice?

I'm not trying to force people to go to Discord but one day, I don't know when, but one day people in the IRC chat might find themselves going to Discord because of how obsolete IRC has become

Freedom of choice because you have:

• Hundreds of clients out there, from graphical ones to browser based to even CLI
  • Even inside each type of client you can get there are a LOT of them. Graphical Windows? Hexchat, mIRC, etc. CLI Linux? irssi, weechat, etc. Android? Andchat, AndroIRC, etc. TempleOS? Someone has probably done it.
  • You can configure your clients to work the way you want them to and configure things like using whatever port you want, you can even pick which protocols are used for things such as logging in.
  • Most clients are also graphically customizable, and you can change the colors for everything and window layout. If you're on Linux, you can even make them look completely different with a gtk or qt theme, which allows you to change icons, window backgrounds, window bars, buttons, fonts, etc for your entire system.
  • Different networks for all sorts of communities and sizes and uses, some have even existed since the 90s.
  • In each network you have channels for all sorts of topics, and you can even create your own by just joining it. Things that go from art feedback and crits to discussing minecraft mods.
And on Discord? Browser or client. Oh you can also change that color.

Plus IRC has some other neat things, like game channels, where you can communicate with people that are in a game server. I use this on my Minecraft server, when people can't be on, they can still participate in the chat from their browser or client of choice.

Plus IRC has some other neat things, like game channels, where you can communicate with people that are in a game server. I use this on my Minecraft server, when people can't be on, they can still participate in the chat from their browser or client of choice.

This was the original purpose of Discord and, as far as I'm aware, what it's mainly used for still.

This was the original purpose of Discord and, as far as I'm aware, what it's mainly used for still.

For sending the entire server chat into Discord? Because that's what we do with IRC + allowing people to use different commands depending on modes. Not people tabbing back and forth between in game and client.

For sending the entire server chat into Discord? Because that's what we do with IRC + allowing people to use different commands depending on modes. Not people tabbing back and forth between in game and client.

What about newer members (and have a Discord) who are going into the IRC? They're going to feel intimidated by the fact there's no backlog and no one talking. And when they ask about it, you're honestly tell them that they have to download who knows how many things just to fully enjoy their experience on the site?

If they see that there is a Discord, they're going to go to that instead. Because it's already installed on their phone/computer, simple as that

What about newer members (and have a Discord) who are going into the IRC? They're going to feel intimidated by the fact there's no backlog and no one talking. And when they ask about it, you're honestly tell them that they have to download who knows how many things just to fully enjoy their experience on the site?

If they see that there is a Discord, they're going to go to that instead. Because it's already installed on their phone/computer, simple as that

If you tell me I can either use this open chat protocol that has hundreds of clients, networks, channels and servers or this newer one that has pretty avatars and a back log and only 2 clients, I will gladly go for the open one.

And, you can have all of those features I mentioned in your browser if you use the right browser client. All it takes is some googling.

But I do understand why people would chose the avatars and battle.net tags.

If you tell me I can either use this open chat protocol that has hundreds of clients, networks, channels and servers or this newer one that has pretty avatars and a back log and only 2 clients, I will gladly go for the open one.

And, you can have all of those features I mentioned in your browser if you use the right browser client. All it takes is some googling.

But I do understand why people would chose the avatars and battle.net tags.

Are you implying Discord is a very tiny network?

I assure you that it's not. Right now, I am a part of 8 different servers. 1 is run by me (which will be up and running again when I pick my streams back up), 4 of them are run by my friends, 2 are for Roleplaying, and the last one is the unofficial Dragon Cave.

I was part of the official Dead by Daylight Discord server at one point. Not to mention the thousands of games and people out there hosting their own Discord servers. Playing Minecraft? Guess what!? A link pops up to join their Discord!

Are you implying Discord is a very tiny network?

I assure you that it's not. Right now, I am a part of 8 different servers. 1 is run by me (which will be up and running again when I pick my streams back up), 4 of them are run by my friends, 2 are for Roleplaying, and the last one is the unofficial Dragon Cave.

I was part of the official Dead by Daylight Discord server at one point. Not to mention the thousands of games and people out there hosting their own Discord servers. Playing Minecraft? Guess what!? A link pops up to join their Discord!

I guess it's good for different communities of different ages. I remember around 2012 IRC was the main communication thing for Minecraft. All the big servers had networks of IRC channels and some of them even used it as their main form of staff communication, the surviving ones still do. Also if you go on any tech centered community you will find that IRC is still their main form of communication.

But hey, to each their own. I will still take my freedom of choice and my customization. wink.gif

user posted image

[URL=https://discord.gg/S9RGRHh][IMG=http://i.imgur.com/uJHvdjg.gif][/URL]

A little banner for awareness of the unofficial discord. Kinda like the #arts banners that exist for IRC.

And one for dark themes:

user posted image (Put together by Mage~)

[URL=https://discord.gg/S9RGRHh][img=http://i.imgur.com/gWmMvRv.gif][/URL]

Now with new links~!

Edited by irrelevantindigo

For those of you who want to get the word out that we have an Unoffical DC Sever, several Siggy's were created. These are also the invite to the server as well.

Here are two more.

user posted image

[URL=https://discord.gg/TNRFwc][img=http://i.imgur.com/5e0nrBM.png][/URL]

user posted image

[URL=https://discord.gg/TNRFwc][img=http://i.imgur.com/gAZufMU.png][/URL]

Edited by Kanaye

Added all the banners to the bottom of the first page and all are free to use

I don't see the point in a discord server.

If he does it, he will staff it himself.

IRC is simple and easy to use. Very simple and very easy to use. Even with a browser.

I don't see the point in a discord server.

If he does it, he will staff it himself.

IRC is simple and easy to use. Very simple and very easy to use. Even with a browser.

Not to be rude, but how is it easier than Discord? If you're new to the IRC forums, it's far less than friendly with the # you have to find for Dragon Cave when it can be done in one server with no commands?

And like I stated before, it's not mobile friendly

Okay, here's my thoughts:

The problem with Discord is staff. I'm part of several servers (like many others here) and I absolutely love it. I think that connecting with people is a great idea and I would absolutely enjoy getting to know more of you. However, Discord needs constant attention for a community like DC. This is a family-friendly game and there are a lot of restrictions: no inappropriate names, no swearing, no NSFW content of any kind. An "official" DC Discord server would mean that there would have to be active staff on at all times, and of course, that role would have to be granted by TJ himself. It's a lot of work to get started and even more to maintain.

Suppose they go for it. How does one even begin? Are the responsibilities of maintaining the server going to be implemented into one role and that role given to several staff members? Will the responsibilities be split among several members? What actually has to be done (by one person or several) to have an active, successful Discord server for a community like Dragon Cave?

• To prevent spam, we would have to have a base role that isn't the "everyone" role. This is imperative for larger communities in which invite links that never expire are posted publicly online. Staff would have to be available almost 24/7 to assign this role.
  • Nicknames would need to be approved, preferably when someone first joins the server (before they have chat permissions).
  • Voice and text chat would have to be monitored to ensure they are age-appropriate at all times.
  • Similarly, if the server is to have a channel for trading, there would have to be enforceable rules there like there are on the forums, and that would also have to be constantly monitored.
  • We would need the implementation of some sort of warning system for repeat offenders.

All due respect, the unofficial server is great...for a server of less than 30 people. An official server would need much more work and more staff to maintain.

First of all, its simply a matter of clicking on the link.

secondly its not a forums, its irc.

I have been suing the same client for 19 years, its simple to transfer.

I had a major headache setting up Discord than IRC, and I don't think I have ever seen you in irc.

Quite frankly, IRC serves its purpose and is good enough.

I don't know Discord, but from the descriptions here (avatars? emojis? history of old messages? PM inbox? uploads?), it sounds more like a message board system than a chat system.

Is that what it's supposed to be? Would the Discord server basically be just like the DC forums, except that chatting is allowed?

• To prevent spam, we would have to have a base role that isn't the "everyone" role. This is imperative for larger communities in which invite links that never expire are posted publicly online. Staff would have to be available almost 24/7 to assign this role.

• Nicknames would need to be approved, preferably when someone first joins the server (before they have chat permissions).

• Voice and text chat would have to be monitored to ensure they are age-appropriate at all times.

• Similarly, if the server is to have a channel for trading, there would have to be enforceable rules there like there are on the forums, and that would also have to be constantly monitored.

• We would need the implementation of some sort of warning system for repeat offenders.

1. There are bots that automatically assign roles to those who meet activity requirements in order to prevent people from spamming. This is automatic and does not require staff to be online at all times.

2. This is not any different from moderating nicknames on the existing IRC chat.

3. Voice can be disabled if necessary, but I doubt it would be. Monitoring chat is no different from monitoring IRC.

4. Again, not any different from the existing #trading channel on IRC.

Edited by ab613

First of all, its simply a matter of clicking on the link.

secondly its not a forums, its irc.

I have been suing the same client for 19 years, its simple to transfer.

I had a major headache setting up Discord than IRC, and I don't think I have ever seen you in irc.

Quite frankly, IRC serves its purpose and is good enough.

That's because I'm strictly a mobile user

IRC is not mobile friendly. Hence I avoid ever using it.

I don't know Discord, but from the descriptions here (avatars? emojis? history of old messages? PM inbox? uploads?), it sounds more like a message board system than a chat system.

Is that what it's supposed to be? Would the Discord server basically be just like the DC forums, except that chatting is allowed?

Here is a quick screenshot for an idea of the setup.

Leftmost column -- servers I have joined. The small, light gray semi-circle indicates new posts in those servers. The screenshot there shows a DM.

Within the servers, channels are organized like this. White name = new posts. You can mute channels in order to hide new posts.

Avatars are small (and a compact, IRC-like mode can be enabled). PMing is no different from setting up a PM on IRC. Uploaded images appear as thumbnails that can be expanded when clicked. Embedded images like that can be disabled.

Edited by ab613