Moonlight_Eevee

Have a Discord Server

Well, for those who left IRC because of it, its not a con to them while they are operating an unofficial server. They are not dealing with IRC moderators. If it becomes official, then the chat staff would be expected to migrate. Half of the issue in perception is the userbase is unaware of what is going behind closed doors. we cannot express our actions (NDA). And the userbase will not be given the larger story. However for the most part, IRC has been pretty decent. A few bits of crazy here and there.

As for Discord, I can see some issues even now regarding moderating. They would definitely need bots. I don't really care if bots are used or not, but Discord is imperfect if you need to utilise an external bot for something as simple as censor.

Making an official DC server means little for the unofficial one. We can move chat to a more convenient place without banning unofficial chats, similar to how there are unofficial IRC channels, like #arts.

And the IRC has always used a bot, so I'm not really sure what the problem there is, especially when some bots allow more function than the IRC has.

Considering how current chat mods seem so resistant to change might be better to get knew ones who know the discord system (if it switches)

A lot of issues with the current chat system I've noticed seem due to poor moderation in general. So even if we stick with irc might be worth looking into getting more help there

To be perfectly honest (and as the discord folk have already heard from me) I think now that our discord has traction, it has become what we had hoped could be created for us. I was once under the impression it would flop like past fan made discords did unless it was made official. But I was mistaken

I don't know if the atmosphere and comradery I seek would be fufilled by the official discord that is being vaguely proposed here. (I'm not saying I want lawlessness in official and unofficial chats, but there is something to be said for a relaxed atmosphere.)

I think we should definitely let this unofficial discord run for a while and see how it goes. There could be a lot to learn from it and those things are good to know should we ever get an official discord.

Edit: Grammar

Edited by irrelevantindigo

To be perfectly honest (and as the discord folk have already heard from me) I think that now the our discord has traction, it has become what we had hoped could be created for us. I was once under the impression it would flop like past fan made discords did unless it was made official. But I was mistaken

I don't know if the atmosphere and comradery I seek would be fufilled by the official discord that is being vaguely proposed here. (I'm not saying I want lawlessness in official and unofficial chats, but there is something to be said for a relaxed atmosphere.)

I think we should definitely let this unofficial discord run for a while and see how it goes. There could be a lot to learn from it and those things are good to know should we ever get an official discord.

I don't think the creation of an official Discord has to mean the end of an unofficial one, though. They can coexist. I personally think the community that is presently IRC would essentially be upgraded by transferring to Discord, though, and think it would be a more convenient, more contemporary location for connecting as a community.

Edited by PieMaster

@PieMaster, I didn't mean to imply the end of the unofficial one. :0 Merely that the unofficial one makes a great test-rabbit to find out things about working a dc discord, things that would greatly benefit a new official chat. Whenever it springs up.

Edited by irrelevantindigo

I'm going to stop this thread now. The request has been raised to my attention, and the past few pages have contributed very little actual discussion. It's clear that there are two camps, and not a whole lot of attempts at empathy between them. Trying to convince a brick wall does not a discussion make.