Moonlight_Eevee

Have a Discord Server

While we're at it, a proposal for how to handle channels such as #arts:

Although it's possible and easy to just have another channel that users can mute if they're not interested, you can also assign roles to users and allow only people in those roles to view certain channels. There are bots that allow you to create self-assignable roles, and then users just need to give a command in order to view certain channels.

For example, if you wanted an art channel only to be accessible to those with a role, you'd create a role with those permissions, set up the bot, and then have users type (for example) ".iam artist" to be given permission to view that channel.

Or you could just allow everyone to access it.

Actually, there are a lot of things you can do with the roles that aren't available in IRC.

A fantastic reason DC Discord should exist. I added it to the front page

Oh, one other advantage of Discord, which I haven't seen mentioned yet: voice chat. No one has to use it, but it's there. Besides actually talking, you can always bring a bot in to play music for everyone.

Edited by ab613

Oh, one other advantage of Discord, which I haven't seen mentioned yet: voice chat. No one has to use it, but it's there. Besides actually talking, you can always bring a bot in to play music for everyone.

Edit: Noticed the edit xd.png I think that would be cool just to chill and listen to music

Edit 2: if TJ and the staff need to have a serious conversation about something, they can have their own private voice room

Edited by Raptor of Dragons

I would love a Discord server. I've never been fond of IRC, especially since nowhere else I'm active has used it in years. I'd prefer to be able to do all my chatting in one place. And, not to be shallow, but Discord is also just really aesthetically pleasing and much easier on my bad eyes.

I use Discord for my non-DC RPing constantly. It's something I'd definitely be poking in pretty often; the few times I've used IRC I found it weird and hard to get the hang of, and I don't go there unless I have a good reason. Discord I'll use all the time.

No support. I have never been able to get the hang of Discord. IRC seems far more user-friendly to me. And I don't see why seeing previous messages is so important, to be honest.

No support. I have never been able to get the hang of Discord. IRC seems far more user-friendly to me. And I don't see why seeing previous messages is so important, to be honest.

Well, each to their own I guess. Not everyone will agree with the Discord idea.

As for being able to scroll up, it would help to reread previous critique to learn from past mistakes for art users.

Then just dont use the discord. No one here has said to remove the irc in favor of discord. Just because it doesn't suit you doesn't mean it wouldn't for many others.

Regarding the ability to see previous messages; besides getting art critiques, you wouldnt have to worry about or find yourself accidentally butting into some important conversation, or any sort of delicate tension-filled situation filled with nothing but silence and no one responding to your inquiry of what was going on. Since you can see the previous conversation (even in its entirety) you can make an informed decision of what to do without having to beg someone else to tell you what went down. You'd feel more involved. You'd know what's been happening recently with other users without having to pry, and carry on accordingly. It'd feel more like a community.

Unless you don't particularly care, and would go about yourself without regard for others anyway, which the IRC format lends quite easily to.

Unfortunately I don't see this getting anywhere. DC staff/TJ is quite resistant towards changes like this. Besides simply keeping up with the times, discord is far more inviting than the IRC, for reasons already stated in this thread.

It'd take nothing short of a miracle for this hellsite to get an official discord.

I wouldn't mind hearing the actual reasons why an official discord is an unviable option from a mod or TJ, if they stop by this thread.

I mean... there has to be a good reason right? Aside from simply not wanting to or not liking it?

Then just dont use the discord. No one here has said to remove the irc in favor of discord. Just because it doesn't suit you doesn't mean it wouldn't for many others.

Actually, from the OP, that's what seems to be preferred for this suggestion (but users will settle for having both): "TJ should open up a Discord Server. Before you mods close this off, I have a few reasons as to why IRC needs to be replaced with Discord." (emphasis mine).

Actually, from the OP, that's what seems to be preferred for this suggestion (but users will settle for having both): "TJ should open up a Discord Server. Before you mods close this off, I have a few reasons as to why IRC needs to be replaced with Discord." (emphasis mine).

It may be the preferred suggestion by some people. But it's only an idea, IRC could be scrapped, but it certainly doesn't have to be.

But I think at the end of the day, most of us would just be happy to have an official discord with an arts channel

It may be the preferred suggestion by some people. But it's only an idea, IRC could be scrapped, but it certainly doesn't have to be.

But I think at the end of the day, most of us would just be happy to have an official discord with an arts channel

My suggestion got plowed over in the other thread in favor of this, but I would much rather have an arts only discord than one for all of DC. I checked the unofficial discord link over the weekend and there were something like 11 or so active members and I'm not an active user of DC IRC or the unofficial discord, but they seem on par with each other in activity.

I checked the unofficial discord link over the weekend and there were something like 11 or so active members and I'm not an active user of DC IRC or the unofficial discord, but they seem on par with each other in activity.

Personally, I hope that making it 'official' with TJ's blessing would create more activity y'know?

Because it's impossible to know there is an unofficial discord unless you stumble upon it in... fansites I believe? It doesn't have a nice lil banner or button.

Okay, I edited the front page to

TJ should open up a Discord Server. Before you mods close this off, I have a few reasons as to why a DC Server should exist OR create much more attention to the already existing Discord

Okay now that that is established.

Unfortunately I don't see this getting anywhere. DC staff/TJ is quite resistant towards changes like this. Besides simply keeping up with the times, discord is far more inviting than the IRC, for reasons already stated in this thread.

Oh dear. That's a bit sad to read. I am also curious as to why they would be against this. Shouldn't they be open to changing things up a bit?

Edit: I also noticed Sock looked at this yesterday (glad they didn't close this) but at the same time, they didn't give an input.

I THINK part of the issue is that a} TJ has control of the IRC server (I could be wrong there) and b} IRC DOES use DC mods. I think modding discord could be an issue - who'd want to take it on ? Mods are already very hard worked. And would the artists you need to see in there want to be there, either ?

You'll need to do a lot of very persuasive promotion to try and get people on side. IRC exists and has official mods. A lot of people can't be bothered to change. (I know I wouldn't bother - then again, I am not into dragon art, so I don't need to !)

But it HAS to be official if you are effectively trying to do a lot of what's currently in DR there. Which is where I believe this all started... because several people have tried to open up unofficial ones - and no-one goes.

ETA about Sock passing by. Mods have to read every thread (poor things) to check for flaming and the rest - and Sock may not actually have been here out of interest...

Edited by fuzzbucket

I THINK part of the issue is that a} TJ has control of the IRC server (I could be wrong there) and b} IRC DOES use DC mods. I think modding discord could be an issue - who'd want to take it on ? Mods are already very hard worked. And would the artists you need to see in there want to be there, either ?

You'll need to do a lot of very persuasive promotion to try and get people on side. IRC exists and has official mods. A lot of people can't be bothered to change. (I know I wouldn't bother - then again, I am not into dragon art, so I don't need to !)

But it HAS to be official if you are effectively trying to do a lot of what's currently in DR there. Which is where I believe this all started... because several people have tried to open up unofficial ones - and no-one goes.

Well, TJ can open A DC server on Discord and just transfer the DC mods on there TO Discord. Sure, opening it up might prove a little tedious, but really, it's not a huge challenge.

As for the artists, I can't speak for them, I just know everyone wants to have an Discord for artwork.

ETA about Sock passing by. Mods have to read every thread (poor things) to check for flaming and the rest - and Sock may not actually have been here out of interest...

One thing though (it's been mentioned before) IRC is out of date, less useful, less features, no chat log... actually. ab talked about this already:

Yes, full support. Discord has emotes, avatars, message history, proper channels, image uploading, mobile and browser support, etc. It's just better.

The issue that TJ wouldn't have control over the server is... a little silly to me. It's discord's one and only purpose to keep those servers up and working optimally.

DC isn't overflowing with activity, I'm sure it could handle us.

Setting up new mods (and even an admin) is just a matter of... doing it. Permissions to make someone a mod isn't a huge task.

Neither is joining discord. It's just a quick, free sign up, and a different browser tab.

--

As for the artists, I can't speak for them, I just know everyone wants to have an Discord for artwork.

As an amateur artist, I know I'd like to have a chat with other artists from DC. I'm not into people just saying 'ooh nice' or 'that sux' at my art. Which is what I run into elsewhere. The artists in DC are some of the more passionate, helpful artists I know.

This is the site where I want to grow my spriting abilities, and a discord would help greatly.

Edited for clarity and to try and make sure this doesn't come across as rude or anything. ^^"""

I'm on new meds so uh, please excuse me if I do. I'm not great with words lately.

Edited by irrelevantindigo

I was ecstatic to discover this thread and that there was a Discord sever, however unofficial it may be.

I use Discord every day. I'm on there more often than anything else (including Dragcave). And I have Discord on my phone, so I carry it everywhere. I cannot do that with the IRC server.

Discord is extremely easy to use and popular. It could make for a better sense of community than the IRC does.

I've popped into the IRC a few times within the past month or two and no one was talking, or doing anything. Dead Zone.

If no one is talking on Discord at the moment, I can scroll up and read the messages and perhaps find a conversation I can add to. @ the person and boom, conversation started back up again. I cannot do that on the IRC.

And, Discord is great for Private Messages. No inbox space. I can private message 1,927,293 people on Discord and have no issues. And I don't have to delete messages, so I can go back and see old private message conversations.

And, if I need to discuss anything with a mod, that is also easy. @mod and all the mods are pinged and the first one that can deal with my issue, does.

And, as others mentioned, there are channels you can keep secret. If you want Mod only channels, or Spriter only channels, you can do that.

I just went to the IRC Forum page and there are 7, seven, different sections on how to use IRC. With Discord, you only need one, perhaps two, if you want to separate the desktop version and the mobile version.

Well, TJ can open A DC server on Discord and just transfer the DC mods on there TO Discord. Sure, opening it up might prove a little tedious, but really, it's not a huge challenge.

Everyone in this and the other thread. That isn't the same as everyone. Just saying.

And if you want this Discord just for art (and someone said that would be best) you can't just switch IRC over. Those who aren't chatting about art need somewhere too - and a lot of them are entirely happy with IRC.

Setting up new mods (and even an admin) is just a matter of... doing it. Permissions to make someone a mod isn't a huge task.

If this is to be official - the mods have to be official. AS in TJ appointed and approved. Otherwise it all falls over. You may as well just go and set your own up in the first place.

Don't get me wrong - I have no axe to grind in any direction; I can see something needs doing about DR - and desperately, and I can feel the huge enthusiasm here, even if I don't particularly share it (because it isn't my thing, is all !) - but if you want this all to operate as something which will help towards people getting their artwork approved for DC release, and with the in-cave artists helping with all that - you need to be within DC.

Edited by fuzzbucket

And if you want this Discord just for art (and someone said that would be best) you can't just switch IRC over. Those who aren't chatting about art need somewhere too - and a lot of them are entirely happy with IRC.

What about the ones who are strictly stuck using mobile?

That doesn't exactly scream 'mobile friendly'

It's quite the opposite. I've used it when I actually had a computer but now I'm limited to my phone. It's really, really spaced out there. (I'm just now learning there's an app for IRC, but what's the point of downloading an app for a confusing chatroom?)

However, I find Discord easier to use because of the fact that if I want to talk in a specific chat, like gaming, it's an easy switch with no commands required

I stated this before, in all the years I've been here, I don't think IRC has ever changed. Unless it goes under a massive change, I prefer talking in Discord.

If this is to be official - the mods have to be official. AS in TJ appointed and approved. Otherwise it all falls over. You may as well just go and set your own up in the first place.

There's a way to set up nicknames in Discord. If the mods in IRC agree to help manage Discord (which would be pretty easy to manage) there's a way to set up nicknames on the Discord where it can be only viewed on that particular server.

Example: If I entered the official DC Discord, I can click on these little three dots and nickname myself "Raptor of Dragons" but still be viewed as Dalek Raptor everywhere else

Agreed! I know plenty of people who are stuck using mobile. And Discord adapts to that. IRC doesn't.

Example: If I entered the official DC Discord, I can click on these little three dots and nickname myself "Raptor of Dragons" but still be viewed as Dalek Raptor everywhere else

Right. On here, I'm Kanaye. Everywhere else I'm Sweet. If someone on the DC Server @Kanaye's me, they are going to see @Kanaye and then Sweet and my Discord#.

And, there are all these commands you have to use on IRC to see other DC related Channels. On Discord, they are all listed, so all I have to do is click rather than remember commands to get into every channel.

I think what fuzzbucket means by the mods being official is that the Chat Mods will have to move to Discord as well -- or new Discord Mods appointed. Either way, it's going to cause a huge resistance.

That's not really a question you need to ask when you are trying to do something for artists... It won't be any worse for them if this doesn't happen, after all. Or if it is only for art.

However, I find Discord easier to use because of the fact that if I want to talk in a specific chat, like gaming, it's an easy switch with no commands required

No doubt. But it still would need staff (and TJ'S) co-operation and goodwill.

There's a way to set up nicknames in Discord. If the mods in IRC agree to help manage Discord (which would be pretty easy to manage) there's a way to set up nicknames on the Discord where it can be only viewed on that particular server.

If they agree to, and if TJ is OK with it.

And didn't you want this to be for art only (see the other thread.) ? So IRC would still be needed, it would seem.

I'm not arguing against it. I don't care myself - I don't do IRC and I wouldn't be using Discord. Just saying that in your enthusiasm I'm not sure you are thinking everything through - that you are assuming everyone on staff etc will be as keen as you are. That's a big assume smile.gif

I think what fuzzbucket means by the mods being official is that the Chat Mods will have to move to Discord as well -- or new Discord Mods appointed. Either way, it's going to cause a huge resistance.

EXACTLY ! Thank you.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I'm not arguing against it. I don't care myself - I don't do IRC and I wouldn't be using Discord. Just saying that in your enthusiasm I'm not sure you are thinking everything through - that you are assuming everyone on staff etc will be as keen as you are. That's a big assume smile.gif

That's why this has been in the suggestion thread before, and is again.

People want it to happen officially, regardless of everything.

Also, about art channels. I think if we got an official discord, there would be a #arts sub-channel. But If we don't succeed and only get an official DC arts discord, some of us would be okay to settle for just that.

But in my opinion, a purely arts discord would flop eventually too-- we need a certain amount of people to kickstart this thing. Just the artists who want discord won't be enough in the end. (though I think we'd all become p chill friends by the end lol.)

Edited by irrelevantindigo

Honestly, scrolling through this thread and all the problems I see people having with IRC are extremely easily solvable and just show how little people look things up before complaining about them.

You CAN see offline messages from IRC if you use a bouncer or a client like irccloud.

You CAN see messages after tabbing away if you also use a client like hexchat.

You CAN have extremely mobile friendly IRC if you also use a client app like andchat or irccloud.

There are active channels for art feedback, such as #arts, if you have no luck there, just google it. There are countless IRC networks out there and they're bound to have a pixel art or general art channel.

If anything, IRC is infinitely more portable than Discord. I have used IRC on an old 3DS! Even on an old Wii!! And it worked just fine.

I prefer IRC way more because of how easy it is to use, and because of how simple and open it is for everyone. You can just log in at any time and join the discussion, you can leave it open in the background for when something interesting happens, you can ping people if you need specific opinions or help, you can just simple /join a new channel to create your own. You can just join the discussion without any troubles: no need to make accounts, no need to register names, no need to be annoyed by constant pop ups asking you to register or download software, no need to even think of a name.

And it's only really inactive in certain channels during certain times of the day. You can't really expect everyone to be awake at the same time as you are. You will find the same issue with Discord.

I don't support this, I think it will only divide the community further and IRC is much more convenient and easy to get started. Not to mention the sheer amount of options you have for using it: hundreds of clients, bouncers, networks, cloaks, etc. Don't like the website you use? Try a client. Don't like your client? Try another. Stuck with terminal only linux? You have irssi. Stuck on an old Wii? You can use one of the browser clients. Still have a nokia phone from late 2000s? There's even clients for those.