Syrup

Romantic Orientation/Identity

Forgive me if there's a thread already, I scanned through and searched and couldn't find anything.

For anyone unclear on romantic orientation, or how it differs from sexuality, the difference quite simply is that romantic orientation is a who you mentally connect with, while sexuality is who you are physically attracted to, yes, in a sexual way.

Your romantic identity can be different from your sexuality, but, since this is supposed to be a website with a large age group, I can't really explain without being very...eh..is explicit the right word?

The two share many of the same prefixes. I.e. there's panromanticism, demiromanticism, etc.

This thread is basically for those who want to converse and share their romantic orientation, or, yes, ask questions about others with certain romantic identities, as long as you aren't threatening.

I'll start: as of now, I'm an aromantic--I don't feel romance. I've never had a crush, and a lot of people that are 'cute' or 'hot' to others aren't that impressive to me. But I've always been bombarded with the 'oh, surely, you'll change your mind one day' and I quite frankly find it aggravating. Yes, I might, but everyone smugly expects it.

Here is a website for lists of romantic identities: https://lgbtq.unc.edu/asexuality-attraction...tic-orientation

Edited by arya10

I'm biromantic I suppose.

With a leaning towards heteromantic.

probably the same seeing as I am in a relationship with my boyfriend but also have a small crush on a close female friend. Thats also a first for me .w.

I really just hope she likes me bac, I don't mind being in a more than one person relationship and my boyfriend is also good friends with her and he can tell I have a crush but wont say it for me, he just pokes at it a bit but bleh x.x

Shes really sweet and shes in a relationship which I don't like but respect and I feel awful but Hes not exactly the best thing for her right now and I wanna tell her dump him and be my girlfriend and I'll take care of you pet your hair and cuddle the ever loving snot out of you" but thats bad .x. I also havent outright told my boyfriend I like her too so its like I have no idea what I'm doing.

romance is confusing x.x

//Paps

As an aromantic I cannot help, but I can offer you internet-cookies

That works .w. *noms on internet cookies* in the mean time I wait xd.png

Good luck, Anano! Hopefully everything turns out well biggrin.gif *hands internet brownies out to the thread*

Personally, I actually don't know. I think I may be demiromantic, since I rarely develop deep crushes on people I don't know well. I have a super hard time differentiating "wow I really want to be your friend" feelings from "wow I really want to date you" feelings. So who knows? xd.png

Good luck, Anano! Hopefully everything turns out well biggrin.gif *hands internet brownies out to the thread*

Personally, I actually don't know. I think I may be demiromantic, since I rarely develop deep crushes on people I don't know well. I have a super hard time differentiating "wow I really want to be your friend" feelings from "wow I really want to date you" feelings. So who knows? xd.png

Maybe check out the term "quoiromantic"?

Panromantic, I suppose. I'd describe myself more accurately as a lesbian who acknowledges that she has loved a boy in the past and could potentially fall in love with a boy, or someone else who isn't a female, in the future. But for the most part, I sport a rainbow bracelet~

I develop crushes on girls very easily. I have semi-crushes on most of my female peers. Name any TV show and I can name probably 2 female characters I'm seriously crushing on.

Guys, however, are more complicated. I find myself curious about pursuing relationships with guys but definitely prefer girls. With guys, my attraction stems out of a purely mental connection - we share interests, a sense of humor, and from there, I explore romantic feelings, physical feelings, etc. But with girls, I am far less analytical and the process is quicker. I know almost immediately whether I'm interested in a girl or not. It is easier for me to find girls aesthetically, physically, romantically, and platonically attractive.

There have been maybe three guys I've ever had real crushes on, and too many girls to count. I am easily wooed, what can I say.

I normally just identify as pansexual, but I guess within that I'm the obvious panromantic. I primatily feel emotional and aesthetic aattraction, but would like to engage in sexual relations when the time is right.

I've only dated one person (shh I'm a teenager it's normal) and I didn't want to have sex with them, but I did want to kiss them. Nothing beyond that. I do have an interest in sex though and was not turned off by the idea of doing it with them.

So I'm not sure if I've felt sexual attraction behind sexual urges, but yeah, I'm definitely a romantic. Only recently (the last three years or so) have I started to come to terms to who I am without a theoretical significant other--since the times I've imagined myself on a relationship are all at about my same age now, and I've got to own up to reality. It's certain much healthier on a mental level to be satisfied with who I am as a sole person, but at the same time I'd love to have someone to cuddle and watch cult movies with. tongue.gif

Recently I've found myself more attracted to girls.

Edited by ab613

I normally just identify as pansexual, but I guess within that I'm the obvious panromantic. I primatily feel emotional and aesthetic aattraction, but would like to engage in sexual relations when the time is right.

I've only dated one person (shh I'm a teenager it's normal) and I didn't want to have sex with them, but I did want to kiss them. Nothing beyond that. I do have an interest in sex though and was not turned off by the idea of doing it with them.

So I'm not sure if I've felt sexual attraction behind sexual urges, but yeah, I'm definitely a romantic. Only recently (the last three years or so) have I started to come to terms to who I am without a theoretical significant other--since the times I've imagined myself on a relationship are all at about my same age now, and I've got to own up to reality. It's certain much healthier on a mental level to be satisfied with who I am as a sole person, but at the same time I'd love to have someone to cuddle and watch cult movies with. tongue.gif

Recently I've found myself more attracted to girls.

Im a teenager too

aromantic teenager what THOse dOnt exiSTT?? --Says every adult Ive come across basically

I'm aromantic myself, never really felt any sort of romantic attraction towards anyone. I can appreciate aesthetically pleasing people but do so without wanting to physically engage them. I'm hesitant to label myself anything else but since people seem to adamant against aromantics and I'm stubborn I like to wear the label proudly! :^)

That's kind of hard to say and I guess I am still trying to find myself with 21.

I haven't had a crush yet, never mind actually falling in love with someone, and my only two boy friends I had were asking me out first and I was going along to see if I could reciprocate any of their feelings or attraction. I couldn't so I broke up fairly quick with them.

So aromantic or really late bloomer. laugh.gif

Edit to say that of late I have developed a slight celebrity crush so maybe really late bloomer since everyone I know had their celebrity crushes with 15/16 so yeah...

Edited by Flaviel

I'm panromantic! biggrin.gif I have a couple crushes, though none are men...

Some girls are just too cute not to fall for.

As an update to my predicament I confessed to my boyfriend about my crush on my female friend and he is totally okay with it and pretty much figured. He clearly stated he doesnt mind and even advised me to wait until I get to meet her this august to let her know about my feelings if I really want to tell her about it. So yeah, I'm happy. I'm also nervous. I'm a mess is what I am. xd.png

It says it's not an exhaustive list, so according with the terms I see in the link I'd define myself as Poly-heteroromantic. But based on looks: I like you or I don't like you thing. Romantically, I mean. Something like a "first sight crush".

Biromantic

I'm def attracted to girls and at least some non-binary genders. Still not sure if I like men or not.

I'm demi-polyromantic with a strong leaning towards guys. My sexual attraction has been mostly with guys with some girls too, but since I'm also demisexual, that unfortunately made it so, so incredibly awkward in my life like two times.

As in, if you fall in love with a friend, you get the sexual desire for them too - even if they're a girl. DAMMIT SO AWKWARD. Super glad that when those two girls gently turned me down, those feelings went away and we could be normal friends again. smile.gif (Well one of them I broke up with but for other reasons, blegh.)

I definitely evaluate men as potential romantic and sexual partners a lot even if I know I'd never want to bed anyone unless I developed a strong friendship with them first. Then whoo baby watch out for dem fireworks! The trick was... befriending them AND not being turned down when they are like "dude just a friend okay?" ... The hard life of a demisexual demiromantic. -.-

I've like come across two girls that I may have had some sexual curiosity for outside of even knowing them [total random strangers] and that's because they both wore this super sweet cupcake perfume (wtf?!) I swear I smelled that and my head turned and I was like "Wooooo?~ o///O" And would've walked after them if my friends hadn't headed towards the opposite direction. But aside from that... nope. -p- Guys are pretty much my deal. -p-

Even with those two girl friends, it was "Ummm so awkward me feeling this, I wouldn't know what to do, I'm not even sure if I'd like it or not, but... I'd be willing to at least experiment once with you if that's okay?" When I was turned down there was faint hurt, but a LOT of relief to be honest. -p-;; Whew.

When I met the man who became my partner and S.O. (significant other), I was so happy he was interested in me to start with. x3 And he was willing to WAIT to just be friends first before exploring anything like that. x3 To see if we were compatible first before we moved onto anything more intimate. x3 He's bisexual and polyromantic and pretty flexible too. xd.png Thankfully we're both polyamorous so he's fine with me liking or falling in love with other people too, and I'm totes fine with him if he does that too. xd.png Just as long as we're both still together, that's what matters. x3

I just need to be best friends with my lover, and to have a huge amount of trust, faith, and feel a huge amount of support, unconditional love, and comfort with him. :3 <3 That's my ideal relationship. x3

Straight male, so girls-only interests.

The first time I came out to my family and close friends, I came out as panromantic.

Now I'm realizing I'm arospec if not outright aromantic. Perhaps gray-aromantic. Perhaps aroflux. Not sure. =X

Not sure it super matters since I know now I don't belong in a romantic relationship.