The Flash

Sort Frozen Hatchies At The Top Setting

Good point. I have 4k and more dragons, and at mumble mumble to the page, I have 9 pages - and can't always remember where I put them (well, more what page my rivers have got to, for instance.)

Edited by fuzzbucket

You could always use the Eggs/Unfrozen Hatchlings filter.

Edited by Tehya Faye

You could always use the Eggs/Unfrozen Hatchlings filter.

Who - me ? I'm happy with it now biggrin.gif

Oh, not you specifically. xd.png Just anyone who has a custom sorting system that places the growing things below a bunch of other dragons. Other people will have to search for them, but you just need to use the filter.

It might seem cool to have your frozen hatchies on top an the growing things below at the stage you are now, but what happens once you have 3.65 pages of frozen hatchlings? You'd have to manually search for your eggs and hatchies every time you wanted to use an action (freeze, name, describe, abandon, kill) on them.

That, is a good point. biggrin.gif

I'm actually really surprised so many people are against this. o_O Every thread that crops up, everyone's always spouting ways to make it optional - but here's a thread with an optional sort method that would make sorting easier for some and people are against it? I'm not understanding the logic. If not a lot of people would use it and TJ didn't want to code it - sure, but to be against it because you don't use it? o.o Maybe the OP only has a few dragons, but hey - older users with more dragons also sort their scrolls. I do think it'd be a more useful option to have them sort below growing things, but I think it'd make sense to be another checkbox on the sort page, if it's doable.

I finally sorted my scroll a while back and started with breed sort, but moved the order of the dragons around. No, it doesn't take too long to scroll through my thousands of dragons and get dragons in the right order, but if there was a way to specify breed order in custom sort you better believe I'd use that in an instant over manually sorting. There's nothing wrong with making the boring part of a game easier!

So - no, I wouldn't use this, but, from a player's perspective, I don't see why it shouldn't be added. ^^

Don't they already sort beneath growing things with one of the preset settings?

I mean there would be more support for it if people actually wanted it. If more people posted how this was something necessary or something useful then again there would be a debate of addition along with other options. But honestly it seems like the single need of one person rather than a group. I havent seen any newbies ask about sorting frozen hatchies on top or asking about settings for such a thing so its not something that is a prevalent need or issue amongst the community. So with that in mind you can kind of understand why its not supported over something like only hiding growing things or a multi fog option and such.

I'm actually really surprised so many people are against this. o_O Every thread that crops up, everyone's always spouting ways to make it optional - but here's a thread with an optional sort method that would make sorting easier for some and people are against it? I'm not understanding the logic. If not a lot of people would use it and TJ didn't want to code it - sure, but to be against it because you don't use it? o.o Maybe the OP only has a few dragons, but hey - older users with more dragons also sort their scrolls. I do think it'd be a more useful option to have them sort below growing things, but I think it'd make sense to be another checkbox on the sort page, if it's doable.

I finally sorted my scroll a while back and started with breed sort, but moved the order of the dragons around. No, it doesn't take too long to scroll through my thousands of dragons and get dragons in the right order, but if there was a way to specify breed order in custom sort you better believe I'd use that in an instant over manually sorting. There's nothing wrong with making the boring part of a game easier!

So - no, I wouldn't use this, but, from a player's perspective, I don't see why it shouldn't be added. ^^

Thing is, socky, many players would like many sort methods. Like all cbs together, like sort by generations, like actually I'd rather like my green nebbies to sort by which are part of my lineage,and within that by generation. How many wonderful options would be asked for if this one is added? There are almost infinite possibilities . I'm not against this specific option, but I really believe it would magnify exponentially...

Slippery slope? tongue.gif

Slippery slope? tongue.gif

Yes - except that TJ ALWAYS says there's no such thing and points to wikipedia xd.png

But if there WERE, I am sure this is it !

Because we all know wikipedia is one of the most reliable sources of information that is always 100% correct and is never tampered with by immature people or such.

Because we all know wikipedia is one of the most reliable sources of information that is always 100% correct and is never tampered with by immature people or such.

Well sure, but TJ's right about the slippery slope thing. It IS a fallacy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope

I've seen people having frozen hatchies on top of the1st page telling their rules of trading etc. ~ some have song lyrics with frozen hatchies also at the beginning and I've also seen some have frozen hatchies for status indicators for eggs and unfrozen hatchlings (Nursery/teleporting etc.) or for counting their hoarding records~

I've also wanted to do that but with my alternative custom sort and option to have eggs and unfrozen hatchies on top, there is no way for me to really have frozen hatchies at the very top of the first page of my scroll ninja.gif

I think this option would really be a nice addition if it doesn't require much coding ~~ ☺

I'm sorry xd.png

Edited by WoLfgIrLyS

True, true.

Personally I don't believe everyone will suddenly jump at the chance of having the tiniest weirdest sort option considered, but I do feel that catering to just a single person's sort need is in bad taste. If it benefited ease of game or it was something asked for often and by many then yeah I can see it as a possible thing to implement but as stated many times its really just one person not knowing how or not wanting to take the time to sort their dragons properly.

Also Wikipedia for the win. I think its okay I just wish people were more mature about certain edits and such when going on there. Though it is a wonderful kind of world knowledge kind of thing. Its fun to browse it and see what kind of information you can find.

EDIT:

I like how as I post this WoLfgIrLyS beats me with their post and its funny to me because its kind of ironic xd.png

Edited by AnanoKimi

I've seen people having frozen hatchies on top of the1st page telling their rules of trading etc. ~ some have song lyrics with frozen hatchies also at the beginning and I've also seen some have frozen hatchies for status indicators for eggs and unfrozen hatchlings (Nursery/teleporting etc.) or for counting their hoarding records~

I've also wanted to do that but with my alternative custom sort and option to have eggs and unfrozen hatchies on top, there is no way for me to really have frozen hatchies at the very top of the first page of my scroll ninja.gif

I think this option would really be a nice addition if it doesn't require much coding ~~ ☺

I'm sorry xd.png

I custom sort and while I don't want all mine right at the top, I have my alarm clock up there (the nocturne that tells me what TIME it is when I want to hatch suns etc !) It stays put.

Thing is, socky, many players would like many sort methods. Like all cbs together, like sort by generations, like actually I'd rather like my green nebbies to sort by which are part of my lineage,and within that by generation. How many wonderful options would be asked for if this one is added? There are almost infinite possibilities . I'm not against this specific option, but I really believe it would magnify exponentially...

Generations has been a suggestion for sorting before and, if possible, I don't see why it shouldn't be added either. If it will get use, what's so bad about that? But that's a little off-topic for this sort suggestion. ;P

But then how many MORE ?

So??? If something unreasonable comes along, we reject it. We have the power to say yes and to say no for each thing, and TJ has the power to implement and not implement things. We shouldn't reject good/useful suggestions just because there might be a not as good/useful suggestion in the future, lol. Judge each suggestion based on its own merit.

You mean every suggestion for a specific sort option stands alone ?

Like, um, wow. blink.gif

The thing is:

If something is gonna only get very minimal use, is it really worth adding in?

TJ already eliminated Site Skins because there were some that were being used so little that it wasnt worth testing new updates on them. Yeah he left them in for those that currently used them, but should there be any major updates to the site, those that do use it, will not know.

Knowing that TJ obviously prefers minimal work for more efficient site coding, are you really suggesting that TJ spend all his time adding in all these slightly if at best barely minimally useful tid bits just because they're kind of nice or kind of useful?

I feel like adding in all those things, as nice as they may be, would be terribly inefficient to maintain as well as a pain in the neck to formulate and add in every single specific sort option possibly available. Personally its not needed, its more work than it would be worth, and the sort options we have, though a tad tedious, work fine and give users a hands on approach with organization and the ability to work things to their pleasing without the added work and hassle of adding in a specific sort option.

Edited by AnanoKimi

Extra site skins mean that each skin has to have work put into it to keep it working smoothly and working well with updates. A simple custom sort option doesn't have this problem. As well, I've talked about use being worth it in at least one post. That's pretty much an assumption in every thread here. However, this is something that really only TJ can judge (or at least judge it better than us) - though I'm not sure if he could tell how many sort like that already, and it's impossibly to tell when only 12 people have commented. I'd leave that for TJ to worry about and worry about posting our own opinions and thoughts. =)

I am also of the opinion that posts shooting down suggestions based on the amount of perceived work an admin would have to put into implementing a suggestion don't contribute in a constructive way to the discussion of the idea at hand.

I wouldn't mind a tick box for sorting frozen hatchlings to the top of a scroll while maintaining breed sort overall. I also wouldn't mind an option to refine breed sort by generation number. Expanded sort settings have utility to me.

The thing is:

If something is gonna only get very minimal use, is it really worth adding in?

TJ already eliminated Site Skins because there were some that were being used so little that it wasnt worth testing new updates on them. Yeah he left them in for those that currently used them, but should there be any major updates to the site, those that do use it, will not know.

Knowing that TJ obviously prefers minimal work for more efficient site coding, are you really suggesting that TJ spend all his time adding in all these slightly if at best barely minimally useful tid bits just because they're kind of nice or kind of useful?

I feel like adding in all those things, as nice as they may be, would be terribly inefficient to maintain as well as a pain in the neck to formulate and add in every single specific sort option possibly available. Personally its not needed, its more work than it would be worth, and the sort options we have, though a tad tedious, work fine and give users a hands on approach with organization and the ability to work things to their pleasing without the added work and hassle of adding in a specific sort option.

This option would get minimal use? Says who? And why are you saying "all"... I'm only suggesting we add one additional option (which honestly would not be that hard to code...)

And... maintenance? What maintenance would have to be done for an option to let users to sort their scroll with frozen hatchies at the top? Hmmm? Exactly, nothing.

Also, this option is IMO really basic. Frozen hatchies are one of the main dragon types. I'm really not asking for much. Honestly this option should have been here from the start.

Also, THANK YOU, Sock. biggrin.gif

I sort some of my frozen hatchlings to the top, but it's all done with Alternate Custom. I don't think a one stop setting would work for my 4800+ dragons.

However, I think I have seen one large scroll that had all their frozens at the beginning. If it's not an issue for TJ, why not add it? I can use it or ignore it as I choose.

If TJ wants to add it I don't see why not. I don't think I'd use it but I don't mess with sorting much over the defaults.