The Flash

Sort Frozen Hatchies At The Top Setting

The only reason I brought up maintenance and coding is because my boyfriend codes and is studying computer science. Once of the projects he had to do was a simple sorting algorithm and I swear he had quite a few mental break downs getting it to work. Hes had to do a few more sorting algorithms after that and it hasn't gotten any easier.

He even made the mention that sorting is always issue and there is always new research done on it because sorting algorithms are so hard to work with to get them right and to account for all possible sorting options/necesities. So having witness first hand how much of a pain in the neck sorting algorithms can be, I can only assume TJ might have the same issues. Just because someone can code something doesnt mean its easy.

Now I'm not completely shooting down any idea either. I'm not saying it shouldnt be a thing but again, the simpler the suggestion and the less it has the more chance of it being done. Lets think of these like the DRs where the more dragons within a request the less chance of it being implemented because of the extra work TJ has to put in toadding in every single dragon or alt. The more there is to a suggestion the more work you are placing on the person having to add it in.

Yeah the idea may sound nice and so may the concept of having 100 different sort options to choose from but at the same time we have to consider we only have one TJ to go around and tons of other suggestions. The more bits and pieces that a suggestion has the more we are instilling on the one and only person running this place.

Again, just cuz something "seems nice" doesn't mean its a good idea to implement. There have been many things that seem nice to one or a few people and well don't exactly turn out for the best in the long run for whatever reason. I dont really know either how many people actually do this particular type of sort (having all of their frozen hatchies at the top) but part of me wants to say that it may not be enough to make the addition of it worth it. Most people only move a few here and there and mainly use them as dividers. I mean if TJ feels he can and wants to then heck by all means go for it. I aint no one to stop the boss man. Personally though, I don't think its needed.

Also flash I was never talking dirrectly to you and at this point mainly adressing Sock about Fuzz's comment about the tons of sorting possibilites and possible wants when it comes to it.

Edited by AnanoKimi

The only reason I brought up maintenance and coding is because my boyfriend codes and is studying computer science. Once of the projects he had to do was a simple sorting algorithm and I swear he had quite a few mental break downs getting it to work. Hes had to do a few more sorting algorithms after that and it hasn't gotten any easier.

He even made the mention that sorting is always issue and there is always new research done on it because sorting algorithms are so hard to work with to get them right and to account for all possible sorting options/necesities. So having witness first hand how much of a pain in the neck sorting algorithms can be, I can only assume TJ might have the same issues. Just because someone can code something doesnt mean its easy.

Now I'm not completely shooting down any idea either. I'm not saying it shouldnt be a thing but again, the simpler the suggestion and the less it has the more chance of it being done. Lets think of these like the DRs where the more dragons within a request the less chance of it being implemented because of the extra work TJ has to put in toadding in every single dragon or alt. The more there is to a suggestion the more work you are placing on the person having to add it in.

Yeah the idea may sound nice and so may the concept of having 100 different sort options to choose from but at the same time we have to consider we only have one TJ to go around and tons of other suggestions. The more bits and pieces that a suggestion has the more we are instilling on the one and only person running this place.

Again, just cuz something "seems nice" doesn't mean its a good idea to implement. There have been many things that seem nice to one or a few people and well don't exactly turn out for the best in the long run for whatever reason. I dont really know either how many people actually do this particular type of sort (having all of their frozen hatchies at the top) but part of me wants to say that it may not be enough to make the addition of it worth it. Most people only move a few here and there and mainly use them as dividers. I mean if TJ feels he can and wants to then heck by all means go for it. I aint no one to stop the boss man. Personally though, I don't think its needed.

Also flash I was never talking dirrectly to you and at this point mainly adressing Sock about Fuzz's comment about the tons of sorting possibilites and possible wants when it comes to it.

So, do tell me what could "go wrong" by implementing this. Go on.

Also...

"I was never talking directly to you."

Uh, so? Does that matter? At all? In any way? I can quote your post and point out things whenever I want to...

Also, for the record, this isn't really a huge deal to me anymore... I got my frozen hatchies to be right after my growing things... so I'm good, but I still want to this see this be implemented.

Edited by The Flash

Still moot. Let's make fewer assumptions about workload and viability and talk about the utility of the suggestion.

Useless to you? Say so. Useful? Say that. Until such point as we are informed that a suggestion isn't possible, worthwhile, or practical to implement, please keep the discussion on the topic at hand.

While the admin's time is a finite resource, trying to pit suggestions against each other in terms of where you would like to see him allocate his resources is patronizing to him and unfair to other players with agendas that don't closely resemble yours.

I'm not a moderator, but I find this trend troubling, and I am requesting politely that we do our best to keep discussion relevant.

Expanded sort options sound dandy.

It won't affect me, as I custom sort everything, but we have an option for growing things on top, growing things on bottom, sort by breed, sort by color...

Up to Bossman of course, but the request doesn't seem out of line to me.

And uh... go Marri. smile.gif I believe we've been encouraged before to leave the question of whether or not it can be/is worth coding to Bossman. He's the only one who knows his code or his coding abilities (which may be God-like as far as we know.) He's also the only one who knows his priorities for the site.

Since you seem set on my response and seem to have taken my previous response in a seemingly aggressive manner, let me clarify that any response after Fuzz's and Socks rebuttal about the countless sorting requests that could be made are what I am addressing so to some degree its half about your original suggestion and half not. In the end I was more or less directing my reponses to Sock about what he/she (forgive me I am not sure) and fuzz were discussing pertaining to this suggestion and their comments. Now then:

This option would get minimal use? Says who? And why are you saying "all"... I'm only suggesting we add one additional option (which honestly would not be that hard to code...)

And... maintenance? What maintenance would have to be done for an option to let users to sort their scroll with frozen hatchies at the top? Hmmm? Exactly, nothing.

Also, this option is IMO really basic. Frozen hatchies are one of the main dragon types. I'm really not asking for much. Honestly this option should have been here from the start.

Also, THANK YOU, Sock. biggrin.gif

To be honest, the few that have posted haven't all stated that they would love to use this as a permanent or viable sorting option. Many have shown examples of those who someh what do something similar (placing a few frozen hatchies up top to deter view bombers or as activity statuses) but over all only one mentioned that there was a sighting of a user who sorted all hatchies up top over all their growing items.

The reason I said "All" is because the conversation shifted to talk about not only this particular suggestion but any current sorting suggestions similar to this one and those to possibly come. The truth is that there are so many possibly sorting necessities that its insane. Every user could have a particular way of wanting to sort things, kind of like you Flash. In order to consider adding it in and going through the work of making a proper sorting algorithm to fit that need, TJ would probably have to take into account whether it could be used enough or not. When I mention maintenance I mean that this site is constantly changing and growing to fit and cater to a large spectrum of players that seems to only be getting bigger. That means that should the code of the site change in a particular way or should a better method of an already existing sorting algorithm come up, TJ would have to go through the code and rewrite it to fit current needs or edit what he has and hope it works.

Think of the fertility page and how it glitched out for a few days or so while TJ reworked the code for it. Should the sorting algorithm need to be changed/improved, something similar to that would probably happen. That takes work. Again, my boyfriend has used me as his rubber duck when coding, especially with sorting algorithms, because they are so complex and require certain layers of code to happen simultaneously. You and I aren't entirely versed in coding so neither you or I can safely say it would be extremely easy, or extremely difficult, but we can say that it will definitely require work.

Finally I don't understand what you mean by "Frozen hatchies are one of the main dragon types." There are many players who do not freeze under personal merits or simply because they don't want to so its not a main dragon type. Its an existent dragon stage of growth I will give you that but there is no real percentage or number to say that it is overwhelmingly popular or used by a large number of the user base. Even if a large portion of the user base were to freeze hatchies, there is no concise proof stating that the large majority of those who freeze want this kind of sorting option.

Again, if TJ feels that it could be helpful or is necessary then I am no one to stop him. From personal experience and years of playing this game and frequenting these forums, I have not seen a large portion of users request for something like thins and vehemently back it up, that is why my stance is that it is not something that will be used immensely and such not necessary.

EDIT: Let it be noted that I wasnt planning on discussing coding beyond my final post but I felt flash needed a reponse due to his particual response. The final paragraph is basically adressing what Mari asked in terms of saying I feel this wouldnt be used. At this point its not about how useful it is because anything can/cannot be useful depending on the person. What can be useful to me might not be useful to someone else. I am using the experience of 6+ ish years frequenting this forum and playing this game to state my stance on why I don't think adding this particular suggestion is necessary. Again, should TJ feel it is necessary and decided it should be implemented I will not refute nor argue it. I won't use it but if its added in and others do use it, then there ya go.

Edited by AnanoKimi

I don't think anyone is questioning TJ's coding abilities or saying that this shouldn't be implemented, but the OP did (whether jokingly or not) admit to being "lazy" and asking for this sorting option because it would be easier than having to do it himself, which he did eventually do anyway. I don't know about anyone else, but for me, admitting to laziness (over something like efficiency or practicality) as a reason for suggesting a sort option isn't the best way to garner support.

No one is vehemently against this, but until the thread started getting comments about whether it would be worth TJ's time and effort to code, Flash was the only one voicing his desire for the sort option. Even then, no one seems atimately for it anyway.

Since you seem set on my response and seem to have taken my previous response in a seemingly aggressive manner, let me clarify that any response after Fuzz's and Socks rebuttal about the countless sorting requests that could be made are what I am addressing so to some degree its half about your original suggestion and half not. In the end I was more or less directing my reponses to Sock about what he/she (forgive me I am not sure) and fuzz were discussing pertaining to this suggestion and their comments. Now then:

To be honest, the few that have posted haven't all stated that they would love to use this as a permanent or viable sorting option. Many have shown examples of those who someh what do something similar (placing a few frozen hatchies up top to deter view bombers or as activity statuses) but over all only one mentioned that there was a sighting of a user who sorted all hatchies up top over all their growing items.

The reason I said "All" is because the conversation shifted to talk about not only this particular suggestion but any current sorting suggestions similar to this one and those to possibly come. The truth is that there are so many possibly sorting necessities that its insane. Every user could have a particular way of wanting to sort things, kind of like you Flash. In order to consider adding it in and going through the work of making a proper sorting algorithm to fit that need, TJ would probably have to take into account whether it could be used enough or not. When I mention maintenance I mean that this site is constantly changing and growing to fit and cater to a large spectrum of players that seems to only be getting bigger. That means that should the code of the site change in a particular way or should a better method of an already existing sorting algorithm come up, TJ would have to go through the code and rewrite it to fit current needs or edit what he has and hope it works.

Think of the fertility page and how it glitched out for a few days or so while TJ reworked the code for it. Should the sorting algorithm need to be changed/improved, something similar to that would probably happen. That takes work. Again, my boyfriend has used me as his rubber duck when coding, especially with sorting algorithms, because they are so complex and require certain layers of code to happen simultaneously. You and I aren't entirely versed in coding so neither you or I can safely say it would be extremely easy, or extremely difficult, but we can say that it will definitely require work.

Finally I don't understand what you mean by "Frozen hatchies are one of the main dragon types." There are many players who do not freeze under personal merits or simply because they don't want to so its not a main dragon type. Its an existent dragon stage of growth I will give you that but there is no real percentage or number to say that it is overwhelmingly popular or used by a large number of the user base. Even if a large portion of the user base were to freeze hatchies, there is no concise proof stating that the large majority of those who freeze want this kind of sorting option.

Again, if TJ feels that it could be helpful or is necessary then I am no one to stop him. From personal experience and years of playing this game and frequenting these forums, I have not seen a large portion of users request for something like thins and vehemently back it up, that is why my stance is that it is not something that will be used immensely and such not necessary.

EDIT: Let it be noted that I wasnt planning on discussing coding beyond my final post but I felt flash needed a reponse due to his particual response. The final paragraph is basically adressing what Mari asked in terms of saying I feel this wouldnt be used. At this point its not about how useful it is because anything can/cannot be useful depending on the person. What can be useful to me might not be useful to someone else. I am using the experience of 6+ ish years frequenting this forum and playing this game to state my stance on why I don't think adding this particular suggestion is necessary. Again, should TJ feel it is necessary and decided it should be implemented I will not refute nor argue it. I won't use it but if its added in and others do use it, then there ya go.

tl;dr

*shrug* Then don't ask me to explain stuff lol I like to take my time and articulate my responses as best as possible.

My stance on this particular suggestions is pretty much what Jazeki said. Aside from that as I already stated should the counter argument of "What about others?" What about them? If those who do post and frequent the forums felt this was useful/necessary to them they would have posted, if there are those who do not post/cannot be on the forums that might use them, then its up to TJ to decide on that. Our debate is solely based on the information and comments within this thread and within this thread at best three people have said they want this or would see this as a nice addition. That's not a whole lot as opposed to those who feel that the actual necessity of this isn't as high. So there's that.

Its up to boss man to decide if this should be a thing or not. *shrug*

Edited by AnanoKimi

You can explain stuff without making giant walls of text nobody wants to read. tongue.gif But let's get back on topic...

So basically, it's TJ's decision. k

Hmmm. Does he ever post in suggestion threads though? Or does he just lurk 'em?

You have not had Syphoneria explain things. If you think My stuff is a wall of text, Syph is a very intellectual person who can put all her thoughts into words and more often than not does.

I dont think that my post was a wall of text. Its all up to the person if they want to read it. Its not that hard. :3

Its up to TJ but he does take our feed back into account. He doesn't usually post, mostly lurk. It seems he posts rarely and on the things that he seems really interested or that require to some degree his input.

Edited by AnanoKimi

You have not had Syphoneria explain things. If you think My stuff is a wall of text, Syph is a very intellectual person who can put all her thoughts into words and more often than not does.

I dont think that my post was a wall of text. Its all up to the person if they want to read it. Its not that hard. :3

Its up to TJ but he does take our feed back into account. He doesn't usually post, mostly lurk. It seems he posts rarely and on the things that he seems really interested or that require to some degree his input.

No, it wasn't a wall of text - it was several. laugh.gif And, oh, look, my very own souvenir! Shiny! *wipes dirt off warn level* Thanks, Sock! xd.png

Yeah... it'd help if he actually posted though. Anyways... I like how you assume I'm not "entirely versed in coding"... because I know HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, jQuery UI, PHP, and MySQL, so... ninja.gif