Nerei

Suggest a Creature

So, what exactly is the plan for all of these creatures once we post them. Do they get put on the OP or something? Because if TJ plans on making any of these canon, it'd be nice of him to have a big page to scroll through or something rather than look through pages upon pages of creations. I could make a Google doc if they don't get put on the OP, but I personally would like a list of these things.

So, what exactly is the plan for all of these creatures once we post them. Do they get put on the OP or something? Because if TJ plans on making any of these canon, it'd be nice of him to have a big page to scroll through or something rather than look through pages upon pages of creations. I could make a Google doc if they don't get put on the OP, but I personally would like a list of these things.

TJ probably just wants to expand the world and is looking for concepts and ideas. I really, really doubt that whichever of these concepts he chooses to use will just be left here in a thread and that's the only way to see or access them. I'm quite sure that only some, if any, of these ideas will get used, and if they do they'll be used in some obvious way. For example, hypothetically, assuming he's not planning any major gameplay additions, just using the current structure of the game... if he decided to use my yexin, they might get mentioned in a new dragon release's adult info. "The XYZ Dragon is very strong. It can fly while carrying prey as large as a prairie yex." Then there might be a new Bestiary section to the Encyclopedia for people who go 'what the heck is a yex?' Bare minimum, I'd expect something like that, a Bestiary section and a few mentions in dragon flavor texts.

I'm -hoping- there will be larger gameplay changes to include these critters, of course, but I have no idea what those might be like and I don't want to guess because I'll probably be wrong. xd.png

It's cool if I suggest an entire genus, right? :V *dropped into the garbage*

I want to suggest a creature!

Species Name: Demon Shrimp

Type: Arthropod

Diet: Mollusks and soft-shelled arthropods; sometimes injured/sick small fish.

Habitat: Shallow oceans

Appearance: It's basically a giant Anomalocaris. It's about ten feet long, is deep blue with a slight iridescence to the shell, and it tastes a bit like lobster, although there's very little edible meat to speak of. The shell is smooth and hard, but fairly brittle. There are small bumps in the shell that are bright green. The shell turns bright red and becomes slightly softer when cooked.

Description: These massive arthropods are not related to shrimp, despite the name. They're relatively slow-moving when not hunting, and aren't terribly intelligent. They're semi-frequent bycatch for ocean fishermen, but have little practical use to humans and are generally viewed as fish-stealing nuisances (although many dragons like the color and sheen of the shells). When hunting they are capable of sudden bursts of speed, although their swimming method and heavy shells make sudden turns difficult. They do not require much food for their size, being edothermic. They have some limited ability with water magics, allowing them to stun or kill their prey with sudden temperature and current changes. They also use these magics to deter predators, although this is mostly used when they are smaller or have just shed their shell. They lay billions of eggs per female, although only a handful make it to adulthood. They're frequently eaten by various Molidae species and other demon shrimp, and their eggs are a food source for many fish. They are solitary and mostly ignore each other outside of mating season. They live for about ten years on average.

Genus Name: Drakefish

Type: Fish

Diet: Algae, plankton, detritus, and parasites.

Habitat: Shallow oceans

Appearance: These small fish species grow to between four inches to about two feet long at largest, and take their names from their large ribbed fins, resembling the wings of drakes. The smaller members of the genus act as cleaner fish for oceanic creatures, while larger ones graze on algae. The young of all species rely heavily on plankton until they become large enough to eat adult food. The smaller species have brilliantly colored spots (usually red, orange, or bright pink on white) to avoid being eaten by their "clients", while larger ones are cryptically patterned with blue, pink, and/or yellow and black stripes. They are mostly sequential hermaphrodites, with the largest member of the school becoming the female if the previous female dies, although a few smaller species are not hermaphroditic.

Description: Drakefish are a common prey fish and larger species are popular as food in coastal communities; they have a taste similar to parrotfish. They are fairly timid on the whole, and are quick to flee from potential threats. They have no magical ability beyond a weak ability to detect sudden changes in environmental mana. Larger species form massive schools of over 500 individuals, while smaller species usually form schools of between ten to twenty individuals. They lay several thousand eggs, and some find their roe to be especially delicious. They're fairly clever for fish, and can be trained to do simple tricks (although you'd have to be really bored to do so). Lifespans vary from 10-35 years.

Edited by Guillotine

It's cool if I suggest an entire genus, right? :V *dropped into the garbage*

I did too, the yexin. smile.gif Not to mention I also suggested something that's an entirely new kingdom of life, technically - beings made of pure magic with no real body of which to speak. So you're not the first and it's definitely okay! biggrin.gif

So I was thanking of basilisk so

Species: basilisk

Apereance: serpent like

Diet: any thing plants or animals mostly carnivorous

Hight: 4 to 5 feet long tail included

Description: uses magic to pertrefy prey and will consume it as it is still alive and has a extremely toxic saliva that kills in seconds but can be tamed usually from the egg they have large fethers on head some species have horns and even hoods like that of a cobra they are very tolerable

Of others in there land but will usually hunt alone

Edited by Wraith of a colossus

I feel like there would be a predator to dragons though. Maybe like a scale-rot parasite or something that could get under their scales and eat them from the inside out. That would be cool, though unfortunate for our poor dargs :B

And I'm just really into megasized earth animals so like giant bees. Giant wombats. Giant everything.

I feel like there would be a predator to dragons though. Maybe like a scale-rot parasite or something that could get under their scales and eat them from the inside out. That would be cool, though unfortunate for our poor dargs :B

And I'm just really into megasized earth animals so like giant bees. Giant wombats. Giant everything.

I'll give a giant weird dragon predator a shot.

Species Name: Regal Harpoonsnail

Type: Mollusk

Diet: Dragons and any other flying magic user

Habitat: Plains, or any other habitat with enough space for it to move around

Appearance: A MASSIVE cone snail. Sometimes will bury it's shell in the earth to conceal itself.

Description: The Regal Harpoonsnail is one of the few creatures that hunts almost exclusively dragons. With an insulated shell multiple feet thick they have no predators as adults. Incredibly slow, blind, and almost deaf they would be entirely helpless, but have an organ able to triangulate creatures with a lot of magic in their bodies. They are harmless and entirely docile to creatures that are not magic users, or are too small to be picked up on their "radar". When it detects something full of magic above itself in the air, it launches a long tendril tipped with a hollow venomous barb, reeling in the immediately paralyzed victim. The strike range of a Regal Harpoonsnail can be hundreds of feet and is strong enough to pierce an iron door and tear it off it's hinges.

During breeding, each female produces millions of young. The young are small gelatinous creatures attached to a gasbag that float through the air for a few years before settling and maturing. Almost none survive past this stage, leaving adults very rare. Larvae are a favorite snack for aerial dragons.

user posted image

Edited by grimace

Species Name: Stone/camouflage/ghost leopard

Type: Mammal

Diet: Meat

Habitat: Mountains, sometimes hills, rarely Arctic cliffs. They like the cold, and need height to hunt.

Appearance: Similar in appearance to the snow leopard, close enough that a casual observer could mistake them for each other if snow leopards also exist in Valkemare. The difference is in the colour of the coat; a stone leopard's coat will perfectly match the colour and pattern of the ground it sits upon.

Description: Stone leopards are solitary opportunistic ambush predators capable of taking down prey many times their size through sneak attacks. They will sit and wait for prey to pass underneath whatever ledge, overhang or outcrop they're sitting on. They aim for the neck or wings of their targets, and avoid retaliation by clinging onto their prey's back until it's dead. The camouflaging ability is a form of subconscious magic, meaning they tend to live in places with at least a medium concentration of mana (maybe Earth mana, for the stone-colouring effect?), and the camouflage can be disrupted by the presence of a Cassare.

Species Name: Glow-vine

Type: Plant

Diet: Mana

Habitat: Caves

Appearance: A vine that glows.

Description: Glow-vines are a plant species found in mana-rich caves and tunnels. They feed from the mana present in the environment, and glow in a colour that corresponds to the dominant mana type present. The more mana they consume, the larger and brighter they get. Their growth is encouraged in many inhabitated caves, as a self-sustaining life source. Some magically-inclined dragons also eat them, to replenish their own mana.

Species Name: Glow-vine

Type: Plant

Diet: Mana

Habitat: Caves

Appearance: A vine that glows.

Description: Glow-vines are a plant species found in mana-rich caves and tunnels. They feed from the mana present in the environment, and glow in a colour that corresponds to the dominant mana type present. The more mana they consume, the larger and brighter they get. Their growth is encouraged in many inhabitated caves, as a self-sustaining life source. Some magically-inclined dragons also eat them, to replenish their own mana.

Mana already has a slight glow to it (enough that it'd glow in the dark, at least a bit). Do you envision these vines to glow even brighter than that, or just glow in a manner corresponding to mana's natural luminescence?

Mana already has a slight glow to it (enough that it'd glow in the dark, at least a bit). Do you envision these vines to glow even brighter than that, or just glow in a manner corresponding to mana's natural luminescence?

Brighter than mana on its own would glow.

large sloth + time mana = sloth that slows down time locally so it can escape predators.

When I first proposed this somewhere, I said of it: "it'd be like watching an action movie in slow motion."

large sloth + time mana = sloth that slows down time locally so it can escape predators.

When I first proposed this somewhere, I said of it: "it'd be like watching an action movie in slow motion."

All hail the giant time-sloth!

All hail the giant time-sloth!

As the person who suggested large sloths, which spawned my idea, of course you would say that.

Species Name: Giant Mosquito Of Evil

Type: Insect

Diet: Dragon blood and mana.

Habitat: Everywhere that isn't freezing.

Appearance: Giant mosquitos up to a foot in length.

Description: They have two proboscis one for sucking up blood and another to suck up mana. They use both to produce a egg and sometimes can use the mana to produce a faint spell of fire. This is mainly a last resort and very weak. They are generally bloodivores and both genders suck blood and mana.

I really like this idea, other adoptable places have both dragons and creatures and honestly I think if DC did them the sprites and lore would be so much better. I think the first thing I want is a rooster. I think the chicken should be the very first official creature, and for this to be it should have a male counterpart added with the ability to breed. I understand chickens are supposed to be rare because they aren't dragons, but if DC does add other things then the chicken wouldn't be as special as we make it out to be. There could certainly be rare variations of the chicken to help out. Anyway, I have two ideas I wanna add

Species Name: Kitsune Aka: Fox demon/spirit

Diet: Birds, rodents, bugs, berries, fruit- Omnivore

Habitat: Can survive and live in different climates such as forests, mountains, deserts, and even towns and cities.

Appearance: It's a fox, so fur ranging in colors such as red, white, brown, and tawny. Green to brown eyes, and one to nine tails depending on age. Usually has a ball or few of mana floating around it's tails or neck. The older they are the larger they become.

Description: Kitsune are foxes born with a natural ability to use and absorb mana. They live much longer than normal foxes- up to 1000 years according to records. Right away they are able to use their magic ability and tend to practice on unsuspecting victims. Many tales tell of kitsune both good and bad and their interactions with human kind. They will offer good luck and protection if you find yourself on the good side of a kitsune, but if a kitsune puts a curse on you then best beware. Their power grows as they age, a new tail appearing about once every 100 years to symbolize a significant gain in strength and ability. Once they reach nine tails- which is a very rare occurrence, a kitsune becomes what is known as a kyuubi no kitsune. A Kyuubi can be as powerful, if not even more, than a large dragon. Some villages in the past have set up shrines dedicated to these creatures in hopes it will bring their homes and crops good grace.

There is so much more I can add but I think that will do for now. On to the next creature!

Species Name: Nekomata

Diet: Pure Carnivore- all meat.

Habitat: Mountains, forests, plains, towns and cities.

Appearance: The smaller ones appear to be a normal domestic cat, but upon closer inspection one will see it has not one, but two tails. The larger ones appear feral and are more vicious, much like a mountain lion or panther.

Description: Nekomata are felines with magical abilities, shown by their twin tails. The smaller ones are said to make wonderful familiars and pets, with a higher intelligence and keen senses along with their magic abilities they are great helpers. But much like any cat they can be finicky and may require a reward before hand. Not all nekomata have the same skills, some more in tune to one element than others, and some able to temporarily change their appearance or size. The larger nekomata, while as intelligent, are much more feral and territorial with more primal instincts. It is possible to bargain with one if you end up in their territory, but it better be more appealing than a nice juicy you.

YES PLS.

Sloth cave when

If those were canon creatures in the game, I would hunt them down and hoard them xd.png

All hail giant time sloths!

While these are all really cool suggestions, I feel like Valkemare has a lot of predators. It already has dragons, why would there need to be more? :/

Too many predators, huh? Kay, let's try making food.

Species Name: Fluffa (pl. Fluffae)

Type: Animal, Mammal

Diet: Grass, plants, fruits. They have a thing for sweets.

Habitat: Almost everywhere.

Appearance: They are about as big as a large rat, or a small cat. They have a head, very short and almost nonexistent neck, fat round body and 4 limbs: two legs for walking, and two short arms that end with hands(2 fingers + a thumb), perfect for, say, grabbing an apple from a tree. Their tails are also very short, and their ears are small and resemble those of a bear. They are covered in long fur with colors that vary depending on the habitat.

Description: They are mainly food for predators, as their only way of defense is looking as fluffy as possible, rising their fur like cats do, to seem bigger. They are good runners, but the amount of fast predators is somewhat too big for that to matter. They live in small groups and make large amounts of offspring to compensate the losses due to the predators. They breed and eggs, like platypuses.

Species Name: Blind spot

Type: Lizard

Diet: Plants and dead stuff. Sometimes dark or magi mana.

Habitat: Mainly in forests and jungles.

Appearance: They're about as big as a large dog. They have tiny short horns on their heads, 6 legs and a long tail. They are completely covered in tiny black scales that can sometimes change color to dark brown, dark blue or dark green, thanks to magi mana. Their eyes are glowing yellow.

Description: They are brilliant at hiding themselves, below the foliage, under the roots of the trees, inside old rotten tree trunks or in the darkest shadows of the forest. However, they are tasty. And terrible runners, since they often trip over their own legs, their tails or the roots of trees. They are amazing climbers, though. When (unknowing)humans wonder through the forests in the early evening, they sometimes see their glowing eyes when they hide in the shadows, and mistake them for predators.

More later *laziness incoming.*

Species Name: ...poop tardigrade. Don't judge me. We need intestinal parasites.

Type: Parasitic tactopoda tardigrade animal

Diet: Dragon poop mostly

Habitat: Dragon colons, piles of poop

Appearance: Unsettlingly large tardigrade covered in poop

Description: Intestinal parasite that gestates its eggs and larvae inside dragon colons, then are, er, passed, and eat dragon poop. Their eggs are picked up by the scavengers that eat dragon poop too, and through an esoteric process of fancy food chain stuff, those eggs are eventually ingested by dragons.

Species Name: Dodo

Type: It appears to be a large flightless bird

Diet: Herbivore

Habitat: This strange creature seems to be found everywhere.

Appearance: A fairly large bird with very small wings. It has a light coating of dull colored feathers and a rather large beak on its head.

Description: No one is quite sure what species this bird descends from or even might be related to. It has wings but they are too short to fly. Its feathers can be multicolored but rather dull in shade. It does not seem to be a hearty creature but can oddly be found almost anywhere. Many wonder at how a flightless bird can make its way into the high mountains or even be seen floating serenely in the middle of the Ocean. Its also questioned at how such a breed can still exist as they are endlessly trusting. They will even go right up to Dragons who other creatures avoid. One researcher even claimed that they saw a Dodo vanish into dragon flame only to reappear on the other side of the same Dragon. That researcher is also known for drinking while on watch and their records might not be reliable.

(A magical version of Dodos who might have developed the ability to teleport)user posted image

Edited by catyuy

Species Name: Dodo

Type: It appears to be a large flightless bird

Diet: Herbivore

Habitat: This strange creature seems to be found everywhere.

Appearance: A fairly large bird with very small wings. It has a light coating of dull colored feathers and a rather large beak on its head.

Description: No one is quite sure what species this bird descends from or even might be related to. It has wings but they are too short to fly. Its feathers can be multicolored but rather dull in shade. It does not seem to be a hearty creature but can oddly be found almost anywhere. Many wonder at how a flightless bird can make its way into the high mountains or even be seen floating serenely in the middle of the Ocean. Its also questioned at how such a breed can still exist as they are endlessly trusting. They will even go right up to Dragons who other creatures avoid. One researcher even claimed that they saw a Dodo vanish into dragon flame only to reappear on the other side of the same Dragon. That researcher is also known for drinking while on watch and their records might not be reliable.

(A magical version of Dodos who might have developed the ability to teleport)user posted image

isnt that the thing from harry potter?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodo

Its a species of bird that was hunted into extinction.

"The last widely accepted sighting of a dodo was in 1662. Its extinction was not immediately noticed, and some considered it to be a mythical creature."