olympe

Show two-way teleport link on view page.

I was just looking at someone's scroll, knowing perfectly well that one of their eggs is in a two-way teleport. However, in order to offer on it, I'd have to find the trading post first. Which got me thinking.

What if you could access the link to a two-way teleport for an egg or hatchling on its view page? It shouldn't cause any harm, but might result in more offers for the same thing.

(Please do not include one-way teleports in this suggestion. Making one-ways visible this way may wreak havoc with gifting. Imagine you wanted to send someone special a lovely 2nd gen holly - and someone else managed to snatch it from your scroll this way.)

I was just looking at someone's scroll, knowing perfectly well that one of their eggs is in a two-way teleport. However, in order to offer on it, I'd have to find the trading post first. Which got me thinking.

What if you could access the link to a two-way teleport for an egg or hatchling on its view page? It shouldn't cause any harm, but might result in more offers for the same thing.

(Please do not include one-way teleports in this suggestion. Making one-ways visible this way may wreak havoc with gifting. Imagine you wanted to send someone special a lovely 2nd gen holly - and someone else managed to snatch it from your scroll this way.)

my first thought was to like this, but then i figured:

isn't that a way to say "stalk others eggs no matter what their scroll says, it's ok?"

If you know whose egg it is AND that they have it offered in a trade, click their profile, then use the "Find all posts by this member" link to find their trade.

A number of two-way teleports have nothing to do with actual trades, they are swaps for influencing aid or simply offers to only one specific person and *not* to the public. I would not like random persons who happen to stalk my scroll to offer their stuff on things I bred specifically for one recipient. It would serve nothing but confusing and irritating me.

I'm very neutral on this suggestion, but bordering against.

I'm also a bit confused about this suggestion; if its easy enough to save/bookmark the dragon's view page, isn't it equally easy enough to save/bookmark the teleport link?

If you know whose egg it is AND that they have it offered in a trade, click their profile, then use the "Find all posts by this member" link to find their trade.

A number of two-way teleports have nothing to do with actual trades, they are swaps for influencing aid or simply offers to only one specific person and *not* to the public. I would not like random persons who happen to stalk my scroll to offer their stuff on things I bred specifically for one recipient. It would serve nothing but confusing and irritating me.

That was my first thought too. The link gives no indication of what's wanted - so even when it isn't a matter of influence fails etc., people would end up getting loads of offers that didn't interest them at all.

I save the links of any trade (teleport) I might be thinking about.

I like this idea.

Sure, it might result in a bunch of unwanted offers, but they're a decline away, and if someone is persistent (which already happens just via the trading section), it's their loss if you don't decline and just ignore the offer instead.

Though to prevent weirdness, it might work best if two-way trades can be marked as private (and thus not showing up on the view page). That way, scenarios like 'I'm PMing you because you said you want this species of dragon; just offer any old egg on this so I know you have space for it, you don't have your scroll linked in your forum profile, so I can't check it' won't result in going to the wrong recipient.

Edited by pinkgothic

Alright, so you stumble upon an egg that happens to be in a not-marked-as-private trade teleport. How do you know what the egg's owner actually wants? Most people are very specific about their needs and wants, but you cannot really attach that information to your teleport - unless you just post it somewhere anyway.

I like this idea.

Sure, it might result in a bunch of unwanted offers, but they're a decline away, and if someone is persistent (which already happens just via the trading section), it's their loss if you don't decline and just ignore the offer instead.

Though to prevent weirdness, it might work best if two-way trades can be marked as private (and thus not showing up on the view page). That way, scenarios like 'I'm PMing you because you said you want this species of dragon; just offer any old egg on this so I know you have space for it, you don't have your scroll linked in your forum profile, so I can't check it' won't result in going to the wrong recipient.

But what olympe wants is EXACTLY for it to show up on the view page. Which would SO lead to lots of wildly inappropriate offers.

But what olympe wants is EXACTLY for it to show up on the view page. Which would SO lead to lots of wildly inappropriate offers.

I'm entirely aware of that and I like that default. Marking as private is something you would do if you expressly want to keep it off the view page. Sorry if my wording was unclear. smile.gif

Sorry smile.gif But I still think this is a really bad idea. You've no idea what the owner actually wants for that egg.

So, if it were possible to indicate what you'd like to have, this might work? Then again, it would lead to something akin to an in-cave trading place...

So, if it were possible to indicate what you'd like to have, this might work? Then again, it would lead to something akin to an in-cave trading place...

I don't see the point - and I don't want an in cave trading place unless we can TOTALLY opt out of it. Because it is something I CANNOT see myself ever using, and I certainly don't want people asking for stuff in cave. That's what this forum is for. xd.png

That coming from the one person who always thinks of the poor people who cannot join the forums. Tsk, tsk. wink.gif

I am a bit confused about this whole concept. Maybe I just haven't had enough coffee yet today.

I don't understand what the point of it is. How did you know that the scroll you were looking at had an egg that was in a trade offer somewhere? Why would I be stalking scrolls looking for eggs that were up for offer rather that looking in the trade forums?

Since most of the trading I do is private I really can't see this being of any use to me and I am not really sure how it would help anyone. unsure.gif

That coming from the one person who always thinks of the poor people who cannot join the forums. Tsk, tsk. wink.gif

Yeah; non forumites can only trade with their friends. This is true.

But sorry - I still can't support it - much as I love you, olympe. It's just too invasive and also too confusing.

I like this idea.

I'm sorry but if I have a very specific need in mind for a trade I am offering, I do not want a bunch of useless offer to wade through when I check on my dragon a few hours after I put it up for trade. Even with the decline function, its a pain in the neck to have to look through them all and see if any of those offers remotely match what you want. Also very few people would not have their links off private, simply to avoid this issue so you would still have to go find the trade post to get the link and offer on the egg.

I say no to this.

Even with the decline function, its a pain in the neck to have to look through them all and see if any of those offers remotely match what you want.

Hmm. All right. I've genuinely never had that problem, but I've already realised that I don't have a standard attitude about trading. smile.gif Yours is probably closer to the norm.

I just generally have the attitude that I will not shoot down suggestions if I don't see them breaking the game or bringing annoyance with it. tongue.gif And this isn't game-breaking. I don't need it, but it also wouldn't harm me, and it would offer a potential short-cut when I'm clicking on a friend's scroll and see something I'd be quite interested in, and 'lo and behold, it's up as a trade. And I seriously couldn't picture it doing much harm to anyone else, either, but see above - that's probably an artifact of how I play.

So there you go. smile.gif

(Though I seriously can't imagine this causing the kind of huge trade offer influx that so many people in this thread seem to be afraid of. People still need to seek out your scroll, you need to have something they want in your growing section when they do, and that thing they want needs to be up for trade. That's... probably not going to happen often. But I might be underestimating that.)

and:

purplehaze:

'I am a bit confused about this whole concept. Maybe I just haven't had enough coffee yet today.

I don't understand what the point of it is. How did you know that the scroll you were looking at had an egg that was in a trade offer somewhere? Why would I be stalking scrolls looking for eggs that were up for offer rather that looking in the trade forums?

Since most of the trading I do is private I really can't see this being of any use to me and I am not really sure how it would help anyone. unsure. gif '

They have it pretty much covered from my viewpoint, although I haven't had coffee either.

How the heck can you tell an egg is in a Teleport, never mind a 2-way as opposed to a one-way, or in offer on a posted trade they'd only trade that egg for?

Seriously curious! smile.gif

A lot of two-ways are for return gifting, where someone's short of Teleports or whatever, as well as for Influencing and whatever else, and if you want offers, you tend to post.

Why not write the person (if their scroll and user name are the same - and visible,) because if they're not, they may be private people and a bit freaked to find additional offers on a private transaction they've not posted anywhere public?

I would be, a bit, and I'm not all that private, lol, just wouldn't be expecting it. smile.gif

If this is for off-forum people, wouldn't a Cave messaging system, as has been suggested repeatedly, be a better thing to try for?

Then at least you wouldn't get, out of the blue, offers on the nice egg you're offering Aunt Fanny, (who has nothing, in return for the egg soon to be living on the back of your scroll,) which might confuse you into losing the nice egg you promised Aunt Fanny, causing disappointment all round.

I dunno... sorry, olympe, I'm not with you on this one, although still wondering madly about the identification of Teleport existence and types on other scrolls.

I wouldn't have thought this possible, lol.

Hmm. All right. I've genuinely never had that problem, but I've already realised that I don't have a standard attitude about trading. smile.gif Yours is probably closer to the norm.

I just generally have the attitude that I will not shoot down suggestions if I don't see them breaking the game or bringing annoyance with it. tongue.gif And this isn't game-breaking. I don't need it, but it also wouldn't harm me, and it would offer a potential short-cut when I'm clicking on a friend's scroll and see something I'd be quite interested in, and 'lo and behold, it's up as a trade. And I seriously couldn't picture it doing much harm to anyone else, either, but see above - that's probably an artifact of how I play.

So there you go. smile.gif

(Though I seriously can't imagine this causing the kind of huge trade offer influx that so many people in this thread seem to be afraid of. People still need to seek out your scroll, you need to have something they want in your growing section when they do, and that thing they want needs to be up for trade. That's... probably not going to happen often. But I might be underestimating that.)

You have to consider that not all trades contain swaps of common dragons. Heck the one and only time I had one of my 2nd Gen Tinsels up for trade I was getting 10 plus offers on it. I would get an addition 1-3 more offers every hour or so.

Imagine if the next time I decide to trade something as highly valued as a 2nd gen tinsel and I ask for specific trades. People who do not check the trade threads often but might decide to check my scroll could see that egg, see the link, and start offer all sorts of crazy things to get a chance at getting it. But without any indication of what I want exactly, I might have to wade through who knows what offers to find the offers I am really interested in.

Given that is an extreme case, many follow a similar suit. People who trade rare or coveted breeds, generations, etc, and ask for very specific things could see themselves confronted by not just trades of interest, but trades that have nothing to do with what they want. Its a possibility that must be kept in mind with this.

When a suggestion is brought up you have to look at it from many angels aside from ones personal preference. I agree with you seeing as most of my trades are literally just "I have this, offer me whatever." but considering the few actual trades I've done that have had an influx of offers, I would not like to have to wade through non specific offers should something like this happen. I'm sure I'm not the only one X3

So don't worry, I completely feel you on your reasoning. It really isnt a game breaking suggestion, nor is it a personally annoying one either. Still doesnt seem like it will turn out well for more popular users whose scrolls could be stalked by non forum or non trading users who happen to stuble on the links.

Seriously, you can ask questions. Of course, I knew from a trade post that I saw sometime yesterday (or the day before?) that that egg was up for trade. rolleyes.gif

But it's probably true that an in-cave market where you may post trades with a list of what you'd like to get would be the better option. So, I guess this can be closed.

Seriously, you can ask questions. Of course, I knew from a trade post that I saw sometime yesterday (or the day before?) that that egg was up for trade. rolleyes.gif

But it's probably true that an in-cave market where you may post trades with a list of what you'd like to get would be the better option. So, I guess this can be closed.

I. Would. LOVE. That.

In game market like EATW would be soooooo nice. I mean, really. Not everyone frequents the forums and having an onsite trading market allows users to still trade and offer without being forced onto the forums to do so. No need to sign up on another site for this, its right here, on DC. how nice would that be?

What if, instead of being able to mark it as private, you were able to mark it as public?

So you set up a trade, and there is a checkbox that you can mark that says "Display on [egg code]'s view page". If, and only if, you check that box, would that trade be made public. This would be especially handy if you didn't have any particular trades in mind and wanted anyone at all to be able to offer on your egg.

If that was how it was set up, I could see having a use for this. smile.gif

Edited by LibbyLishly

What if, instead of being able to mark it as private, you were able to mark it as public?

So you set up a trade, and there is a checkbox that you can mark that says "Display on [egg code]'s view page". If, and only if, you check that box, would that trade be made public. This would be especially handy if you didn't have any particular trades in mind and wanted anyone at all to be able to offer on your egg.

If that was how it was set up, I could see having a use for this. smile.gif

How will anyone trawling through scrolls know to click on your egg ? 99% of eggs are NOT up for trade, after all.

How will anyone trawling through scrolls know to click on your egg ? 99% of eggs are NOT up for trade, after all.

I think people would simply click on an egg they thought might be desirable, just to check and see if it was tradeable. Such a feature might not get regular use. But I don't think it would be completely useless, either.

ETA: In all honesty, this would probably work better combined with the in-cave marketplace suggestion - the ability to see all public trades, along with notes as to what the owner wants (if they have any preferences at all), would be enhanced by being able to see on an egg's view page, "Oh hey, this egg is available for trade. Cool."

Edited by LibbyLishly