emilylan3151

Call Back

I was thinking and I had this crazy idea if it was possible to have a special BSA for a dragon that could call back a dragon you've released? Not one someone else released im totally opposed to that idea. it would probably have a 25% chance of happening I guess I would show a list of dragons you have released and it would be your _______ dragon uses it's persuasive telepathy to persuade your _________ dragon to come back! the attempt was a success/failure

Generally not in support. I've changed my mind. I do not object the core concept, just the details as suggested by the OP.

If this is to be implemented, however, make it only usable for 2 weeks from release and its success chance be tied with Revive, to match the current main use of Release by many players (ie. remove a dragon from the scroll without using Kill).

Edited by CNR4806

I was thinking and I had this crazy idea if it was possible to have a special BSA for a dragon that could call back a dragon you've released? Not one someone else released im totally opposed to that idea. it would probably have a 25% chance of happening I guess I would show a list of dragons you have released and it would be your _______ dragon uses it's persuasive telepathy to persuade your _________ dragon to come back! the attempt was a success/failure

This sounds like a nice feature.

I see nothing wrong with it (though a time limit as to how long it has any chance to work at all would be cool, or a steady reduction in chance over time, either way, and I can't comment on how sensible the percentage is in general). I'm slightly concerned that it wouldn't get much use, though, but that's because I don't think I've ever really released a dragon and thus wouldn't have much room to regret it.

(I also suspect the site has no way of knowing the original owner of a dragon once it's wild, but that's purely my gut feeling. I don't know if that's true.)

This sounds like a nice feature.

I see nothing wrong with it (though a time limit as to how long it has any chance to work at all would be cool, or a steady reduction in chance over time, either way, and I can't comment on how sensible the percentage is in general). I'm slightly concerned that it wouldn't get much use, though, but that's because I don't think I've ever really released a dragon and thus wouldn't have much room to regret it.

Well, I doubt Revive gets much use other than on growing hatchlings and zombie attempts either. After all it is quite hard to accidentally kill (or release) anything, or perform said basically irreversible actions intentionally and regretting it later. An one-time option to give you a small chance to reverse these actions don't really hurt, especially when the option to reverse Kill is already in place.

As long as it's simply a mirror of Revive in terms of function (minus zombies), I'm actually not really against having Call Back implemented.

(I also suspect the site has no way of knowing the original owner of a dragon once it's wild, but that's purely my gut feeling. I don't know if that's true.)

As long as we're going with the time-limited idea, this isn't exactly the biggest issue. New code can be written to remember who has the rights to attempt Call Back on a recently-released dragon, and remove it from that pool once the time is up. Dragons released long ago are irrelevant, and very-recent-before-implementation releases can be written off without too much problem, or just delay the actual implementation of the action two weeks after the code is in place.

As long as we're going with the time-limited idea, this isn't exactly the biggest issue. New code can be written to remember who has the rights to attempt Call Back on a recently-released dragon, and remove it from that pool once the time is up. Dragons released long ago are irrelevant, and very-recent-before-implementation releases can be written off without too much problem, or just delay the actual implementation of the action two weeks after the code is in place.

Absolutely. smile.gif But the dragons already released in the past that someone might want to get back (in a non-time-limited scenario) might not be retrievable. The 'released a long time ago' might be a big deal to some people, after all.

Absolutely. smile.gif But the dragons already released in the past that someone might want to get back (in a non-time-limited scenario) might not be retrievable. The 'released a long time ago' might be a big deal to some people, after all.

Not least those who released dragons that were later discontinued... (OPs and frills...)

I doubt the system has kept track for all these years of the previous owners of all those released dragons, so I suspect that anything released previously would not be recoverable under this suggestion. It would be like the bite records for Vampires -- could only go back so far and no farther. Of course only TJ knows how far back things could be tracked.

Edited by purplehaze

I would be in favor of this as long as you could only bring back dragons that you released and there was a fail rate.

Kind of like reviving.

I know there are some dragons I released that I would like back.

Even if it wouldn't be possible to get back those dragons, I would still like for it to be a possibility for future dragons.

If this is to be implemented, however, make it only usable for 2 weeks from release and its success chance be tied with Revive, to match the current main use of Release by many players (ie. remove a dragon from the scroll without using Kill).

I agree with these restrictions although I don't personally support this suggestion.

Though it sounds...interesting, why would you release the dragon if you were just going to call it back? I know people release dragons to maintain lineages and such but if its let go, then its gone, you shouldn't be able to get it back.

I don't care - but I can't see the point. It is very hard to release by accident - and if you didn't want it then, why would you want it now (except OPs and frills, and they've been gone so long there is no record of who had them anyway.)

I could JUST about see a BSA for "whoops I want that one back; I clicked the wrong one" - but other than that...

Though it sounds...interesting, why would you release the dragon if you were just going to call it back? I know people release dragons to maintain lineages and such but if its let go, then its gone, you shouldn't be able to get it back.

You could accidentally release the wrong dragon if you don't think to check. Let's say you have two dragons, both the same breed, and if the sprite is different depending on gender, they're also the same gender. If you don't remember to check lineages, or think you have the right one but you don't, you could quite possibly release the wrong dragon and thus have a need to "call" it back.

As for my opinion on Call Back, I'm honestly not exactly sure it would be useful. I mean, maybe it would be useful to newer players who accidentally release a rare, not knowing what they're doing, but in that case, Call Back would probably be a BSA that would have to be implemented on a more common dragon if it was intended to also help the new players. But the players who've been on DC for long enough are well aware that releasing a dragon mean's it's gone, and for players who don't release their dragons, it would be kind of useless. So I personally wouldn't have a need for it... I'm a little iffy on supporting it, to be honest. For now, I'll say no.

Like everyone else - I'm in the middle, but leaning more towards no.

The point of releasing a Dragon is because - for one reason or another, you no longer wished to own that dragon - but don't want to kill it.

The only use I see for this is as a sort of safe-guard for players who might release the wrong dragon *did this once with a Vine dragon myself*

A restriction would also be good on this - my suggestions for that would be:

Only Dragons released after this (or shortly before depending on how much data is stored) goes live can be recalled [prevents people from going back ages ago to retrieve abandoned Bright Pinks/Frills as we all know these would probably be the first to come out - followed by Holidays and Metals]

Make it have a global scroll cool down period (I say Global as if this is a BSA on a common Dragon, players would just keep trying).

Likewise, it could be limited to one try per released Dragon (so if you fail to call back your Dragon, it's gone for good)

Even with restrictions though, and other than being a helpful thing for players who might have released something on accident. I don't really see this being something we need - but its addition probably wouldn't hurt.

Hmm. fairly neutral on this, having never released any dragons off my scroll.

I can only see one possible advantage to this. "I didn't log out of my scroll and X released all my dragons. Can I get them back?" Although, I haven't seen this particular issue crop up in help nearly as much as it used to once upon a time.

I like this idea.

Mostly, it's because I myself am a newer player and don't know what I'm doing, but also I feel that it would be quite handy if you want to "store" a particular hatchling or egg outside of your scroll to make room for a more important egg/hatchling, but that the one you "store" is not emotionally attached or particularly important/"I don't care too badly if this is lost, but I would like the chance to have it back."

I'd support this only if unfreezing were to be implemented as well, mainly because of the issue of past holidays. It seems unfair to allow those who released their holiday dragons to have bred ones to have their CB adults back, but not for the ones who kept their CBs, albeit as hatchies, to allow them to grow up.

I like this idea.

Mostly, it's because I myself am a newer player and don't know what I'm doing, but also I feel that it would be quite handy if you want to "store" a particular hatchling or egg outside of your scroll to make room for a more important egg/hatchling, but that the one you "store" is not emotionally attached or particularly important/"I don't care too badly if this is lost, but I would like the chance to have it back."

The release action is only for frozen hatchlings and adults.

I like this idea.

This would (if release were available for eggs and unfrozen hatchies) be a way around egg / hatchie limits, which equals cheating the rules - so NO to that aspect. As it is - they are abandoned, rather than released, and go to the AP, and by the time you decided you wanted them back, they would probably be on someone else's scroll.

If you have a great need to store something - you have to ask a friend you trust. Which gives you exactly the "chance" you are suggesting.

I personally see no need for this.

I've released quite a few dragons - mostly stairstep prizes & messy frozen hatchlings because my scroll goals changed over time - and I do not miss them.

Yes and No, but mainly no. Once you released it, you released it. It was your decision, you shouldn't be having second thoughts especially after you released it. When I abbandon eggs and such and have two of the same breed, I always double check the code to make sure I have the right one. And players who said that they were meaning to use a BSA, well the link for releasing is below kill, which is on the bottom of the list, so there isnt much room for error.

No, not really a fan of this. Not to mention you're creating a BSA without a dragon in mind that would be plausible to have this BSA.