Ayesthine

Ayes needs to practice

A random comment on the "wings as hands" thing - that metaphor makes perfect sense IF and ONLY IF it recognized as a starting point rather than a rigid reference. That is in fact precisely how I learned to do wings - of all kinds, not just membranous. Viewing them as -modified- arms and hands helped me produce much more realistic wings. The key word though is -modified-. Too many people take that advice way too literally and we get stuff that looks like actual hands with really long fingers. x.x; Which is also the fault of the people GIVING the advice for often not being specific enough.

But yeah my .02 on that. Somewhere out there (I wanted to post it but I can't find it right now) someone made a wonderful diagram showing the anatomy of a human hand, a bat's wing, a bird's wing, and a pterosaur's wing, with all the analogous anatomical features noted and highlighted very clearly so that the relationships -and- differences between them are clear. That specifically is what I found very helpful and I expect that diagram is loads more helpful than the general platitude 'oh they're like hands!'

Edited by Lurhstaap

From the standpoint of understanding comparative anatomy, certainly! It's good to show the similarities in wing/arm morphology. Still, from the point of view of an artist (especially one who is a beginner or otherwise inexperienced with anatomy/physiology) comparing wings to human arms right off the bat can be pretty confusing.

Working on figuring out bipedal wyverns (and to a lesser extent how I can incorporate more "realistic" wing shapes.

more Me Being Anxious About Dragons: Geode Edition

I've recently gotten into the habit of reading hatchling descriptions and wondering how I would react to them. I'd be pretty concerned about most of them, to be honest.

I'd be a horrible dragon keeper (owner?). I have a hard enough time as it is taking care of a dozen rabbits, much the less some 600 odd giant mythical creatures.

Aww, that's cute!

Maybe do one of a Harvest hatchling and just have a picture of it eating a ton of assorted food and you watching it happen with an anime sweat drop on your head. That might be really funny.

I'll probably do that, or something like it

on that note:

Temporarily taking requests for stupid dumb comic doodles because I'm in a funk and it'll help me out

sorry for no art in 20 years, I have been doing it but it's Top Secret

user posted image

(note: resized to avoid page stretching, click for full size/quality)

Pretty much done. There are an immeasurable amount of things I could fix or change (lookin' at you, rear hind foot), but since this just practice I can't really be bothered.

I was trying to draw a lynx today because of Shelter 2 and their funny little doop paws, but I forgot that I am inexplicably terrible at drawing cats. I've never been able to do it. I feel like I have failed some 16 year old digital artist test.

I ended up with this (warning: there is a Swear Word) but I'm not super happy. Trying to get back into the swing of drawing regularly and failing a little bit. I'm super tired and super busy lately, and thus I am not having super fun.

Grumpy cat is grumpy. xd.png

For a sketch, that's actually quite nice. I think its pretty good! smile.gif

For a sketch, that's actually quite nice. I think its pretty good! smile.gif

Objectively I can look at it and see (if nothing else) how far I've come, but I have unsustainably high standards for myself so I usually don't do that. Thanks, though c: kinda needed that.

WIP of a present that was done on Monday? I think? Probably. I've been really out of it recently, in more ways than one.

Not entirely satisfied with the frill design. Makes it seem to much like a watery dragon. It's supposed to be "beautiful and terrible to behold" but I blanked so it turned into whatever.

I'll rework it eventually, probably, maybe. The future is uncertain. "We are here and it is now. The way I see it is, after that, everything tends towards guesswork."

In other news, I read too much.

friendly reminder that i'm still stalking ayes arts i've just been over here not knowing what to say because i'd just be repeating my praise over and over and then you'd have to brick me in the face

user posted image

I am alive

still exhausted and sick, but alive

art: I've got a mini project I've been working on/thinking about that I'll probably throw up here in the next few days. Also did some in-depth sketching and planning for big ol' anatomy project. That's pretty much it. I haven't had the energy or inspiration to do much else. The upcoming week is my spring break, though, so hopefully I'll be able to knock off a lot of the things I have to do for DR

(sorry anyone who needs something from me, I haven't forgotten or given up, things are just slow ;;)

Woah. That is cool.

I want one.

thank c:

it's supposed to be Apollyon, though, so having one would probably be disastrous

which is why I need to fix those frills they just don't scream "celestial destroyer" in quite the way I want them to

((the present is for my dad, who wanted the scene from Pilgrim's Progress where Christian meets/battles Apollyon, but Apollyon is a dragon instead of a demon man because my dad said so. It was supposed to be a christmas present but sai and photoshop ganged up on me and corrupted every attempt I made to finish it. I'm hoping to get it done before my dad's birthday, but at this rate it might take until the end of time))

friendly reminder that i'm still stalking ayes arts i've just been over here not knowing what to say because i'd just be repeating my praise over and over and then you'd have to brick me in the face

<3 you're a pal and I would never brick you, in the face or anywhere else (ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

that's so cool!

all I can think is that the deer is just like "welp this here is a predicament yupyup" xd.png

the deer is all of us, and we are the deer (✿˘▾˘)

in other news the sensitivity on my tablet died (it's probably just a driver problem, though, thank goodness)

hurray setbacks

user posted image

what is this? who knows!

(click image for full size or don't I mean it's your choice)

Edited by Ayesthine