Allons-y~Geronimo

To Be or To Own a Dragon

Would you rather be a dragon, or own a dragon?  

141 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would love to be a humanoid Dragon, cuz then I could own a dragon, and be a dragon ridding a dragon, Dragons

Be a dragon! Fly through the skies free and unchallenged by anything other than dragons! =D

I'd like to own a dragon. I'm thinking of this from the perspective of the Inheritance cycle; an intelligent creature who is a friend for life. Obviously it would take some feeding, but I doubt the authorities would challenge my keeping it and try to compromise on some regulations to allow me to keep it.

Flying a dragon would be so cool, along with the added benefit of the dragon's protection. I'd protect it as well, keep a sharp eye out.

If the dragon will not be mine, I'll bring it somewhere suitable to live (maybe a wildlife preserve) and come visit at times.

This is also assuming I am owning a Western dragon, I'd rather have one of the smaller species, maybe a wurm of some kind. Less food, easier to manage, still a dragon.

I believe dragons have opposable thumbs. They have them in my fantasy dragon worlds such as Pern. I am not sure whether Melanie Rawn's dragons have them, but I'd rather be a pernese dragon or bond with one. Come on people you don't own a dragon. A hot breath and you'd be burnt history. LOL

Our world wouldn't be the same with dragons, so who is to say a dragon would need a hunting licence. Lions and other wild beasts don't need them ditto for sea creatures.

Back to the original question though, I think I'd prefer to be the human bondmate to an awesome dragon. I'd hate to be responsible for its early demise though if I died.

Our world wouldn't be the same with dragons, so who is to say a dragon would need a hunting licence. Lions and other wild beasts don't need them ditto for sea creatures.

Yeah, that's what I meant when I was talking about priors. You can't really know for sure 1) what the dragons are like and 2) what the world will be like with dragons, so I'd need a lot more information before anyone can scam me into doing one of those things. But honestly, if society were largely the same except for the inclusion of giant sapient firebreathing beasts? They would so definitely need hunting licenses. Most classical dragons are at least twice the size of a lion, not to mention that they're flying creatures and therefore probably need to eat several times their body weight in meat every day just to survive. Declining prey animal populations are a serious problem these days, and dragons have the ability to deplete the Earth of every mammal, large reptile, and shallow water fish there is, unlike lions who have to resort to eating mice and scavenging carrion when there's not enough prey in the area. And then...well there's seven billion of us left, what d'you think will happen? And we can control hunting from dragons since they understand the concepts of agreements and contracts. If they don't agree, there's always the casual reminder that hey, we happen to have nuclear weaponry, and if dragons aren't going to cooperate, our hands might slip on that big red button there.

If we're talking about having the option to be transported to a fictional universe and given a dragon/transformed into a dragon, then hell naw. I prioritize healthcare, our relatively low amount of discrimination, and the wonders of the internet over having/being a cool pet.

Edited by Fractional Pi Day

Urg, making it so complicated...

Generally, I'd want to be a dragon if we disregarded the circumstances and all that stuff.

Hmm. This is a tough one.

On one hand it would be cool to be a dragon, if we are talking about the traditional western versions with wings and flame breath, because being able to fly and roast people alive whenever you feel like it would be pretty damn awesome, that is if I retained enough sentience to realise this.

As many people have pointed out, I would rather miss being human though. This world isn't really suitable for several tonnes of fire breathing lizard to live peacefully in. I'd have to leave all of my human 'things' behind, family, friendships, possessions and go live in a cave somewhere. Then I'd also have to put up with everyone and their dog possibly trying to track me down and kill/capture me all the time.

I would have similar problems with owning a dragon too. One that is large enough to ride would certainly alert the neighbours and I'd get into serious trouble with the police or military. Feeding a dragon would be troublesome too.

I think I would go for owning a dragon over being one, provided that it was smart enough to obey basic commands and small enough to hide and feed without concern. Dunno what I would ever do if it got sick though, my vet would have a heart attack if I brought a dragon into his practice.

I would love to be a dragon, I have always wanted to take flight, and let the wind carry me around the world.

I would want to be a dragon, but have the shapeshifting power back into a human when I want ;D

As much as I'd love to own a dragon, I don't feel like I have the capacity to actually be responsible for one. Even if they are highly intelligent, you can't truly control them. (Especially if they turn out to be like the dragons from GoT...)

I would want to be a dragon, but have the shapeshifting power back into a human when I want ;D

As much as I'd love to own a dragon, I don't feel like I have the capacity to actually be responsible for one. Even if they are highly intelligent, you can't truly control them. (Especially if they turn out to be like the dragons from GoT...)

Pretty much this. And can you imagine how much it would cost to feed a grown dragon large enough to ride? One of the reasons people who keep large cats give them up is the very large cost of feeding them. Even if they ate less often, they would likely eat many times more than a single large would in a single sitting.

And this is isn't even going into the legal ramifications, like if a kid ran up to your dragon and the dragon startled and hurt or killed the kid, even if it didn't mean to(even a startled tail lash could likely hurt or kill a kid).

I'd love to own a dragon because then my friends would be like "OMG you have a dragon for a pet!?" and then I'll be like, "He's not a pet. He's my FRIEND."

I also like being human as well so if I have a dragon FRIEND (I do not own him...or her) then s/he can incinerate my enemies and we can fly the skies together. It's more fun with another person anyway.

Well, considering that there's a ton of dragon-slaying stuff out there in the world and a lot of people would kind of freak out about a giant fire-breathing lizard with the ability of flight, being a dragon would end up with me being weaponized, in a lab, or dead. Also, I don't think dragons can access the internet...

Own a dragon. Nothing beats opposable thumbs and the dexterity of human hands.

Being a dragon seems cool and all, but I think owning one would be better, in some cases. All the flying and firebreathing, and still having thumbs. However, being able to turn into a dragon would be good.

I'd love to be 'bonded' to a dragon - like in the Inheritance Cycle. But only in a world where people wouldn't be freaked out by one or try to kill it. tongue.gif

oh man, that's hard.

I think if I owned a dragon, I'd just be constantly scared of it stepping on me by accident or something... <__<

so, be a dragon. fly around and shoot fire whenever I wish :'D

I want to be able to shapeshift from a human into a dragon.

Although if I could live in the world of How to Train your Dragon, having a dragon would be my preference. wink.gif

"Own", How To Train Your Dragon-style. I want a Toothless. laugh.gif

Though AlexisV's shape-shifting idea above me would actually be better.

Edited by LibbyLishly

I'd rather own a dragon, although if I were to own one, it would be a Pygmy because they're small and don't seem so destructive.

I'm not great at pets and I'd be so worried all the time about it, so I think I'd rather be a dragon myself.

I always used to make wishes as a little kid hoping that one day I would become a dragon. I don't wish for it now, but I think I would still prefer to be one than to own one....Mostly because then I wouldn't have as many responsibilities :P

There are advantages to both. Personally, probably be a dragon, unless I could have both! tongue.gif Especially pillow and mint dragons.

((But it would be hard to conceal the fact that you own a dragon - unless it's a pillow dragon that agrees to pretend to be a plushee toy when someone looks.))

Edit: by be I mean have the ability to change from one to another at will. (at will, not through some magic artefact - those are too easy to lose)

Edited by MessengerDragon

I said that I couldn't decide mainly because... I can't. tongue.gif On one hand I'd love to be an epic creature that could fly and do epic things (Spyro makes me want to be a dragon), and on the other Dragon Cave made me want to own at least one dragon, but A CAVE full of them would be amazing! laugh.gif

So no, I can't decide. sad.gif