Allons-y~Geronimo

To Be or To Own a Dragon

Would you rather be a dragon, or own a dragon?  

141 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have been having this discussion with my brother and my fiancee for a while, and after seeing the debate elsewhere as well, I want to know what most people would prefer.

Would you rather have a dragon, or be a dragon?

I think I would rather be a dragon! It would still be cool to own one/have them as your companion, but being one sounds even more awesome.

Be a dragon. I've always wanted to fly, and being a dragon would give me a chance.

I'd rather own a dragon, because I like being a human. tongue.gif But it would be awesome to have a dragon friend. We'd have a barbecue party every day! cool.gif

Well now, it'd depend on the type of dragon I think. Being able to fly would be very awesome, but I think that I'd miss opposable thumbs before long. Our society here is built up to support the humanoid body. Places aren't made to accommodate big dragons, nor are our tools made to be used with a dragon's claws, strength, or size. For example, typing out this post. Being a big dragon, hitting the little keys would be difficult, assuming I didn't just smash the fragile plastic by accident. Interacting with society would be a lot more difficult, and not to mention meals would be expensive.

Though flying is very awesome. I'd say, if I could be a pygmy dragon, and keep some proper hands, I'd go for it.

Edited by Fortis

Well, I've always liked easterns. Lore also states that easterns had taught humans various things, and they are frequently portrayed holding orbs or with what looks like opposable thumbs.

... So, I would like to be an eastern, though I do see a problem of "humans", in that other people would probably be scared and kill me "just in case", even if I went and lived in peace as a vegan in the wilderness. Unless I move to somewhere in Asia, but even then, well, there would probably still be someone that would do that, for the glory if nothing else.

Or maybe a qilin, if they count as dragons, but that's kind of a step down... Though being a living lie detector has its merits, as well as being revired in eastern culture.

Owning one, though, seems like the more logical route. I can explain and people would be less likely to randomly kill him/her.

Eastern dragons wouldn't really be revered either if they were real. Like, imagine your culture celebrates the concept of dragons but then one day a giant clawed serpent with magical powers capable of destroying everyone you love descends upon your city. Most people would probably at least be alarmed. Also the majority of China's population is atheistic now please don't imply blatantly untrue things about us

But yeah this problem depends on a lot of things and I probably wouldn't take either option without knowing my priors. Is this choice open to other people? Can dragons understand and communicate with human beings? How intelligent are they overall? If I own a dragon how likely is it that it's going to have a disagreement with me and eventually murder me? You know, stuff like that.

I can't be a dragon.... I'm a jet

Although it might be nice to have the power of great flapping wings, huge fire bellow lungs, claws and teeth....

I'd rather own one (or, more appropriately, be friends/companions with one if they're intelligent). While it might be cool to be a big, powerful creature, being human has its advantages for me. Having a Sweetling would be totally awesome.

I'm not very awesome and wise yet to become a dragon. Sure, they have those cool powerful water abilities but being a master waterbender is good for me. ^^

Water dragons for the win!

I'd rather be a human and own a dragon.

If we had the choice, however, I'd like to be a hybrid along the lines of StarLight Massacre's Drackens. Born human, and look that way most of the time, but at 16 they gain (mostly unnoticeable) scales, as well as retractable wings, fangs, and poison-coated claws.

What if I wanted to be owned by a dragon? Just kidding, but I'd rather own one than be one. I've had fantasies about it since I was little.

I'd prefer to be friends with the dragon smile.gif

I had fantasies about being one... but... being friends would give the best of both worlds and the most freedom.

Being one, with the caveat of either having opposable thumbs or having a tailtip prehensile enough for writing and either telepathy or the ability to speak.

Depends.

If I could be a dragon, and be independent of any human, I would do it.

Because I hate it when people tell me what to do.

In a relationship between human and dragon, human is dominant.

So, my answer is human.

Unless of coarse, I could be an independent dragon.

Then I would chose dragon.

I've always wanted to fly smile.gif

Why did I jinx it now I'll probably turn out to be a mint.

user posted image Has no wings sad.gif

Wow... I'm actually a bit surprised with the results, but I think it's interesting to see people's reasoning behind their choices.

As for myself... I would much rather be a dragon, honestly. I've been having dreams about it and everything. True, I'd be losing a lot of stuff that I have as a human (like opposable thumbs), but so long as I could fly and go wherever I pleased, I would be happy. If I were to stay human and own a dragon, there would still be issues such as where I would get money and how to entertain myself... But as a dragon, I wouldn't need money, and could simply hunt for the food that I need. I would have more time to simply observe beauty around me, and think as much as I so choose, rather than having to deal with the stuff I deal with as a human.

That's my choice, personally.

Have fun trying to get a hunting permit that lets you snag deer year round my friend.

But really? You'd rather hang out in a forest forever over the choice of having internet? I dunno, that's kinda interesting to me I guess. I don't hate nature, I enjoy hikes and the like once in a while, but everything just kinda turns sameish if you hang around in the same place for too long, you know? Being intelligent creatures we need more stimulation than that, which I think is the reason fictional dragons portrayed as intelligent usually set up their own societies and technology and stuff. And if you were the only dragon there was, that's not really an option open to you.

To own a dragon, most definitely. :U just imagine the bonds you two could create! And besides, i don't think i could exactly go without technology, or human society in general, hehe. The all idea of being a dragon doesn't really strike me fancy. Then there's a question: would you be staying as intelligent as if you were a human? If yes, then it'd probably be boring! remember: no art, no reading, no holding debates. If no, well... dunno. I wouldn't like that.

Edited by pushks

I would want to own one.

I'll admit, being able to fly with my own power sounds extremely cool. But flying on the back of a dragon doesn't sound any less cool to me. And as much as I love dragons, I'd rather be close to one, able to admire it, than be that dragon itself.

Besides, as a dragon I wouldn't have any time to admire my own species, lol. (Or any time to enjoy myself, for that matter). Just like any other wild creature, the #1 thing to think about is survival. I'd be competing with other dragons, struggling to find food, and avoiding the clutches of humans just like every other animal around.

So to be able to raise/tame/train a dragon of my own definitely sounds a lot better, for both me and the dragon. The dragon would get a better (and easier) life, and I'd be able to take the best of both worlds, and have something unique that other humans most likely don't have.

So yes. Yes yes yes. Definitely would want to OWN a dragon ♥