ClassicOctavia

What do you think of hoarding?

Basically jumping on the bandwagon here, but in my eyes, yeah, hoarding = collecting a lot amount of _____; which isn't greedy.

Greedy, actually, has a really weird definition. Could mean collecting truck loads of something really rare, could mean not sharing something, could mean just a mean word that isn't nice, or it could mean that someone went through a LOT of trouble getting the things that they've... "hoarded".

Who's to say not to and what to collect things? Technically, TJ since he can code the website to make us only collect a specific amount. But besides from him (and I don't want to dawdle on that statement since I'm not him) only you can tell/force yourself to collect X amount of 101% fake pixels that are made artificially dragons.

**car340 softly rolls her eyes at her own statement.

OH! And here's something I want to say to this - If by ANY definition of hoarding, whether it's something "nice" like able to collect things, or something "mean/bad" like fat greedy hoarder (yeah, nobody here said/will ever say "fat greedy hoarder" but I'm just exaggerating here for a point) then... I am a hoarder. I play on DC, and I collect lots of dragons. How many? Iunno, nearly 1,000? Not as much as other, what, "original" players who I am jealous of having older CB holiday dragons but I still qualify as a hoarder.

I like hoarders, by the way, it makes the game much more interesting for the rest of us.

Edited to try to make my terrible grammar better. d:

... Actually for every dragon I obtain, the harder it is for someone else to get the breed of dragon that I got. I can't believe I just noticed that?

Edited by car340

I prefer to call it amassing an army. tongue.gif I hoard mints and only mints. I like to have all my dragons named and as much as possible their parents named as well. (Falling behind in that task, I regret to say.) As to others hoarding, I really don't care what they do. If someone wants 50, or 500 or 5000 of one type of dragon, then more power to them. If they want to name all, none, or some, that's fine too. If I pick up a dragon from the AP with nameless parents it's my choice whether I decide to keep it. It is nice when hoarders share. (Mints anyone?)

I used to get frustrated when new releases come out and were immediately hoarded, but people have been so nice whenever I have difficulty getting eggs that I have absolutely no cause to complain. Even if there are greedy people saying "Mine! Mine! Mine!" there are more than enough nice people giving out eggs, "One for you, and for you," to drown them out. (I'm not saying you have to go around giving out eggs, just that a lot of people do.)

Your priorities regarding naming dragons, the quantity collected, lineages, etc., are yours alone, and have nothing to do with me. I am not required to play by them, I am not required to take them into consideration, and I am not a bad person because I have what you do not.

This cry of 'hoarders' is plain old sour grapes from people who would gladly load all their egg slots with CB Golds if a handful happened to drop in front of them.

Depending on what you call hoarding, I may qualify for these four: Neotropicals (1000+), Whiptails (275+), Golds (30+), Silvers (40+)

I catch CBs of those; 30+ bred metals isn't very much, after all. But. BUT. I only got more CB metals because people were snarling at me for being greedy. If I wanted to spend my time catching CB metals, I am entitled to keeping them, whether other people think it's greedy or not.

Despite the 'high' number of CB metals, my main love is Neotropicals. I hoard those when I can. Ignore the CB metals and go for all the Neos. *A* They're fun and bright and how can you not love tiny frugivorous dragons?

Most CBs stay unnamed on my scroll. I do gift-breed my metals every week, and people are allowed to PM me and request I name a CB dragon for them. Otherwise, they're my dragons, they're CB, and other peoples' irritation is unjustified and not worth thinking of.

So tl;dr, I'm a CB hoarder, I'm called 'greedy', but I hoard Neos and Whiptails over CB metals. And I do not see anything wrong with my playing style, since I catch these myself.

I've never understood why TJ says there's no hoarding on DC, honestly. Hoarding is a lot like collecting in definition, and if you choose to stockpile a massive amount of a particular dragon and call it a hoard then there you go.

I don't see anything wrong with it and I don't use the term with offense. I happily use "hoard" to refer to my collection of Sweetlings and normal dragons descended from Sweetlings. It's a game and people can do what they want with their dragons: which also means that I don't care if people don't name their dragons or breed for other people. I fail to see what all the fuss is and it's extremely immature annoying when people say "Hoarders need to stop taking all the new eggs! If you have more than 2 it's unfair!"

My thoughts exactly, and this comes from someone who has 2 messy lineaged golds. xd.png

I have over 1000 terraes and, to be honest, it's not my favorite breed, nor my favorite color, but I started breeding them, and I wanted to breed more, and that meant catching more CB, and then I told myself I wanted a 10th gen, which meant I had to catch massive ammounts of terraes.

And I have a bunch of bred terraes I caught from the AP because, why not? They used to flood the AP.

There is another user who has WAY more terraes than I do, and that's fantastic! It's what the game is about, collecting dragons.

Don't see many people complaining that terraes have gone from blocker status to nearly non existent thanks to hoarders like me. But the issue is, and has always been, that people want the rares. They don't understand rares are rare for a reason.

To be honest, I'd like to have the CB golds and one silver I'm missing for the sole reason gifting is a little complicated when you don't have breeders. Aside from that? I'm not specially motivated to hunt for them in the trading threads. tongue.gif

Guess I'm not a very ambitious person. I find joy in simple things. Metal breeding is very frustrating. laugh.gif

I'll admit to being a metal hoarder. I just counted my silvers and I have over eighty. Throw in the tinsels, shimmers, coppers, and golds, I've probably got close to 250. I take every opportunity to breed and trade for metals. I even traded my first 2nd gen Thuwed for my first CB gold. I don't feel the faintest bit guilty for having all my metals. I also collect as many pretty lineages as I can get my hands on, no matter how common the dragon. I collect what I love. That's what other "hoarders" do. If someone puts the time and effort into a large collection, they deserve it. I definitely don't see it as unfair.

Hoarding just means collecting a ton of things. So technically there is such a thing as hoarding in DC. It's just not frowned-upon as it would be in real life.

I don't know if anyone would consider me a hoarder. I have a 3-page scroll and a few rares. I guess I just consider myself a hoarder. But I have decided to reform myself and send some of my dragons on to new homes.

Water Army, reporting to this thread. Lol

My army grew not out of hoarding, but out of me taking them out of the AP and main cave 5+ years ago as a way to free up the cave and keep things moving.

the only time I see people say 'greedy hoarders' is when something is rare or new and they want them

I'm a Hoarder of Electrics, Coastal Waverunners, Reds, and the Purple Dorsals this year

I have an Evil dream of making a Red Wall in the AP so I'm aiming for 500 Breeding pairs

that means over 1000 Red Dragons and I'm gonna get them

What about those who say they're "proud hoarders of x breed" in a positive way/as a joke? I personally don't see the term as offensive to anyone ._.

+1

I also do not get it when people say "there is no hoarding" - somebody tried to tell me this before but I call that nonsense, especially when I and others state we are hoarding - who are they to tell us what words we can use? Hoarding is just another term for collecting in my opinion. It makes no difference to me whatsoever.

- I do with my dragons as I please and I honestly couldn't care less if other people name their dragons or not.

- No matter what I grab in the AP or cave, it's mine. I do not care if others cannot catch them, do they care about me?

- Something I learnt during my time on the forum...I do not need to gift my dragons to strangers for proving that I am "nice" wink.gif. I gift when I want to, I am honest about this at least.

=>tl;dr I do not need to justify myself for my DC playing and gifting behaviour.

There are some breeds I like, Vampires and Mints for example, but due to lack of scroll space and time I cannot hoard them as much as I want. I demand 8 egg slots!

I like hoarders, they often like to trade for pretty things if you offer enough of what they love to hoard. xd.png

I like to hoard too. (Pets her pretty prize fails)

While I am frustrated at my inability to catch or trade for CB silvers or golds, I don't blame the hoarders. It could have just as well been someone grabbing their very first CB metal as someone grabbing their thousandth. It's not like some sites where there's only so many that will ever be released. The holidays are the only ones like that, and there is already a limit to how many you can grab from the caves. So I really don't see a problem. I can keep trying (and crying tongue.gif ) to get CB metallics to complete my goal of a CB pair of every breed that's possible to get from the caves.

As far as naming goes, I do get a bit disappointed when people don't band my dragons' offspring, but it's not the end of the world. I love when people follow my naming scheme, though! It always makes me giddy to see a clever name in a dragon I bred. biggrin.gif

Edited by harlequinraven

I prefer to see clean lineage from un-named Parents than messy lineage and named parents.

It doesn't hurt anyone if you like to collect some dragons and some can't catch them.

Its like Nebulas, some players think its rare and some don't. smile.gif sorry for my english.

Um, this is a game about collecting. This game is ABOUT "Hoarding" dragons.

I currently have 3,462 dragons. I saw a post in trading implying that having that many dragons was a bad thing. Try playing for six years and NOT having that much dragons? I just like them. I love breeding projects and CB's and pretty lineages and pretty dragon sprites and good names and I pick up what I want. Sometimes it's from the cave, sometimes it's from the AP, sometimes it's from breeding, sometimes it's from trading, and I love them all for different reasons. <3

I have absolutely nothing against "Hoarding" in any sense of the word. It's a game, play it the way you enjoy it!

That said, I do take issues with people who use less-than-savory methods to obtain dragons for their "Hoard". Generally these methods involve things that break the site's Terms of Service, though, as well, so they get found out in the end and everything is well again. smile.gif

But people who legitimately catch or trade to support their "dragon addiction"? Nah, there's nothing wrong with that, whatever shape or form that obsession takes. smile.gif

I jokingly say that I 'hoard' Seawyrm Pygmies and Tsunamis, and I am woefully behind in naming my Seawyrms (I'm trying to track them all by generation in a spreadsheet and don't enter them in until they have a name and I haven't had time to deal with it in months).

I don't particularly care how many of a breed others amass. If you have a scroll goal of 2000 golds and are prepared to work for it through catching and trading, that's fine by me. It's not hurting my game. biggrin.gif

Now, I do maintain that there is no such thing as hoarding when it comes to new releases. For the first two days, we are all limited to a maximum of seven purely due to egg slot limits. Players who accuse people who fill those slots of 'hoarding' are speaking nonsense.

This site is literally made for hoarding dragons.

There's a reason there's no limit to how many dragons one scroll can have. It's because this is an adoptables site and it's designed for you to collect more, and more, and more...

If there's a particular dragon that someone likes and wants to make an army of, then I say they can go for it. If they're dedicated enough to collect hundreds of the same type of dragon there really isn't anything stopping them.

I prefer to amass an army of all breeds, but I somehow ended up with alot.png of blacks, but not enough to be an army. My scroll is preety balanced but not because of the blacks and the nebbies.

Hoarding isn't bad at all.. Hoarding is just collecting dragons but just some more in specific dragons. If we can't collect dragons then there's not much to do in DC. huh.gif

I don't think it's bad to not name your dragon either.

I do name my dragons but in the way just to sort them. (Like Saynna at the first page)

And I wouldn't say it's good for anyone to get eggs from gifting threads even though they have a bunch, but it is the gifter's mind after all. They decide to give or not and they're the ones who are responsible if anyone gets it.

If someone says that he/she can't get eggs because of those people, it's nonsense. You don't need to be gifted by others to get the eggs you want. smile.gif

I don't really care if someone doesn't name their dragons. Most of my dragons aren't named, because I'm terrible at thinking up names.

I haven't really hoarded any dragons. Most of the ones I really love are a bit hard for me to get to when I don't spend much time hunting (looking at you, Nebulas). I do have a fair collection of Greens and Vampires, though.

I just build Armies of Red Dragons, warm a Egg. Then once it hatches. I give it to someone. laugh.gif

Soon, once I get 98 Red Dragon's. Lots of people will be happy with hatchlings! thumbs_up.png

hoarding is wonderful

*nebula hoarder present*

but then again i name all of mine typically as soon as they hatch and im able to get their names settled

I guess if a user were to take a look at my scroll, I'd be considered a hoarder. I'll admit for some releases, like the nhiostrifes and trihorns, I tried my best to catch a lot of them in the first days they were released. For the most part, though, I collect dragons because I have nothing better to do between releases and I've been playing for years now. I also breed a lot for people on a constant basis.

I do get sad when people don't name things (especially Thuweds), but I've long ago stopped caring about how many dragons are on other users' scrolls outside of finding easy ways for filling out the encyclopedia.

Speaking as an Official Greedy Dragon Hoarder, I like a lot of the dragons I like. laugh.gif

As has been pointed out, this IS a dragon collecting site, and if we devote ourselves to things the sites are for, like collecting the dragons we want, (when we can snag 'em, lol,) making pretty lineages, gifting/trading, and doing what we want with our dragons, we won't be wasting our energy by getting upset over and criticizing the scrolls of others for things like unnamed dragons, lol.

DC is supposed to be fun, (unlike RL, which we come here to get away from, lol,) and getting dragons I like - and plenty of them - certainly works for me and a number of people here I know of. smile.gif

(Just try breeding nice gifts for people when you haven't the dragons to do it... THAT's a major part of the fun here!)

I suppose that I'm not a hoarder and I don't think that I could become a one in the future laugh.gif I admit that I am kind of an order freak - I always sort my dragons, I name them as soon as possible and I use naming patterns. I hope that one day I will have hundreds of CB Golden Wyverns (they are my favourite dragons), but I would like to have a nice collection of them, not a hoard. For me, a hoard is a great heap of unsorted, nameless things.

If someone wants to hoard metals or other rares (named or not, sorted or not), that's fine by me. I won't lie, I am a bit jealous when I see a scroll with many CB golds or silvers and sometimes five or six CB metallic eggs on the top of that. But well, clearly someone has the patience to hunt for CB rares or has developed a remarkable skill in trading for them. I can only say "wow" and return to my own scroll smile.gif

I think that there's only one kind of "hoarding" that I could frown upon: when someone snatches from biomes only CB rares and never bothers with catching / raising common eggs, even low-time common eggs from the AP. I don't know much about ratios, but I believe that constantly waiting for other players to deal with cave blockers is not fair.