ClassicOctavia

What do you think of hoarding?

So, what do you think about hoarding? Depending on how it's done, it can be different. Share your thoughts below!

Here are my thoughts on it:

PRIORITIES TO BE OK:

1. He/she names all the dragons

2. He/she doesn't just snag them from the AP or cave, but also breeds them, so others have a chance to catch them from the cave.

PRIORITIES WHERE IT'S NOT OK:

1. He/she doesn't name the dragons. ( I get slightly ticked )

2. He/she has rares, but goes to gifting post to get more.

What I think of hoarding is just collecting a ton of dragons. I just hate it when people don't name them, and is greedy about collecting them.

So what do you think? Do you like hoarding, or hate it with all your might? Share in the comments!

Note: I do not want any type of arguement. We shall be mature and respect each other's opinions.

Edited by ClassicOctavia

I don't see anything wrong with this. CBs, non-CBs, Golds or Mints, I can't see any difference. Besides, nobody is -obliged- to breed/name their collected sprites. That's what this game is about, collecting. If I like the sprite, I collect more, it's all simple.

I don't see anything wrong with this. CBs, non-CBs, Golds or Mints, I can't see any difference. Besides, nobody is -obliged- to breed/name their collected sprites. That's what this game is about, collecting. If I like the sprite, I collect more, it's all simple.

I saw on the wiki that some people dislike hoarding, so I decided to make a thread about it.

I don't really think hoarding is bad in any sense. I hoard some of the downright commons such as mints, guardians to rares e.g. 2nd gen tinsels/shimmers, CB metals, neglecteds.

I have nothing against "hoarding", in my experience those often labeled as hoarders are often the most generous people out there.

Hoarding is what it's all about when you get right down to it. Breeding, trading, gifting, etc. all spring from that.

I love my Red army. biggrin.gif

If there were a limit on how many dragons I could collect, I would have lost interest in this game years ago. Just because I haven't named absolutely everything on my scroll doesn't come close to classifying me as a hoarder, it just means names aren't always easy to come by. I'm free to play as I see fit, & that means adding to my 5.4k+ scroll through breeding, trading, cave hunting & AP-raiding.

I like my "armies". I don't like the negative connotations associated with the term hoarding, so I choose not to use it. Give me my Falconiform Wyverns and I shall rest happily.

edit; erm... I don't have the time to name all of my dragons, although I want to. I don't know exactly what you mean with your green text...?

Edited by Ashes The Second

I'm perplexed by what you mean by "hoarding." Most people use that to word to mean "catching rare or limited dragons when you already have a lot," not that I really think that's a problem either, but that's what the general usage is. But you seem to be defining it as catching dragons and then failing to name or breed them?

Well what else am I going to collect if I can't collect one of my favorite breeds?

So glad to have such a nice community in Dragon Cave. Usually, the Internet is filled with hate, and stuff. Nice to know there's a heaven somewhere.

I'm perplexed by what you mean by "hoarding." Most people use that to word to mean "catching rare or limited dragons when you already have a lot," not that I really think that's a problem either, but that's what the general usage is. But you seem to be defining it as catching dragons and then failing to name or breed them?

What I mean is that when someone hoards a ton a dragons, but doesn't name them I just get a bit mad.

What I mean is that when someone hoards a ton a dragons, but doesn't name them I just get a bit mad.

Well for my Whites that I have way too much that I'm at the point of giving them generic tasteless names like "2g PB Male White (code here)", "CB Male White (Code Here)", and the same goes with the females. This is because of my lineage project I have with them (to get to 12g in lineage view) that I need to find some sort of system to make sure I know which ones I haven't bred, which ones I have, what type of white it is. They're the only ones that I do this with. For other dragons I hoard I don't name them until I use them in a lineage... xd.png

There is NO such thing as hoarding in DC - TJ says so. It's none of our business WHAT other people do with their dragons (although I DO kinda get sad when they don't name dragons). How others play isn't anyone's concern except the player's. And I really wish the term 'hoarding' was outlawed or banned here because I'm fair SICK of it. When the Coppers came out, I gave more CB Coppers away then I actually ended up with at the end of the release and was still called a hoarder because I had more two of each. I have since STOPPED gifting CB's of the new release because of it.

And I really wish the term 'hoarding' was outlawed or banned here because I'm fair SICK of it.

What about those who say they're "proud hoarders of x breed" in a positive way/as a joke? I personally don't see the term as offensive to anyone ._.

There is NO such thing as hoarding in DC - TJ says so. It's none of our business WHAT other people do with their dragons (although I DO kinda get sad when they don't name dragons). How others play isn't anyone's concern except the player's. And I really wish the term 'hoarding' was outlawed or banned here because I'm fair SICK of it. When the Coppers came out, I gave more CB Coppers away then I actually ended up with at the end of the release and was still called a hoarder because I had more two of each. I have since STOPPED gifting CB's of the new release because of it.

I'm pretty sure I've given away more golds than I actually own CBs of. And I'm CERTAIN the same is definitely true for Silvers and Coppers.

If people don't name them, who is it harming? The people I have a bone to pick are the ones who breed their massively messy critters with no other terms than to fill the AP, but again, if there were someone telling me what to do with my dragons, I'd tell them to mind their own beeswax.

So, what do you think about hoarding? Depending on how it's done, it can be different. Share your thoughts below!

Here are my thoughts on it:

PRIORITIES TO BE OK:

1. He/she names all the dragons

2. He/she doesn't just snag them from the AP or cave, but also breeds them, so others have a chance

PRIORITIES WHERE IT'S NOT OK:

1. He/she doesn't name the dragons

2. He/she has rares, but goes to gifting post to get more.

3. He/she only grabs CBs.

What I think of hoarding is just collecting a ton of dragons. I just hate it when people don't name them, and is greedy about collecting them.

So what do you think? Do you like hoarding, or hate it with all your might? Share in the comments!

Note: I do not want any type of arguement. We shall be mature and respect each other's opinions.

Well, you have an opinion. I hope you will allow me to have one as well: I fully disagree with every point. It has been repeated forever in this forum that every playing style is the business of the player only. There are people that like to breed, others like to catch, others to collect or a mix. When I gift or trade offsprings of my dragons, I ensure that the parents are named but that's just my choice. I politely ask for the same but I don't get upset if that doesn't happen.

Well, you have an opinion. I hope you will allow me to have one as well: I fully disagree with every point. It has been repeated forever in this forum that every playing style is the business of the player only. There are people that like to breed, others like to catch, others to collect or a mix. When I gift or trade offsprings of my dragons, I ensure that the parents are named but that's just my choice. I politely ask for the same but I don't get upset if that doesn't happen.

I edited my post a bit, I like your opinion biggrin.gif

I've gotten really particular about my dragons anymore. I go on hording kicks for certain breeds, but these days they pretty much always have to be CBs. I like to build my own lineages, so unless a line strikes me as really cool and something I'd wanna continue, I tend to stick with the CBs in all my collecting.

Also I'm just super lazy with names. Unless I've got a name scheme in mind, I tend to not name. But I also like having a lot of unnamed dragons so that I can plan a big lineage and hold the names that I need.

And then my Brute army I'm building to make my own 10 gen even gen lineage. So obviously I'm gonna need a butt-ton of CBs to make that all on my own.

Edited by Stromboli

Well what else am I going to collect if I can't collect one of my favorite breeds?

Exactly. People seem o get annoyed at my obsession with silvers though!

By your definition I'm a hoarder, and completely unrepentant. I fully intend to name them, but I'm so far behind (and getting further every week) that it may never get done.

I don't just hoard rares, but my custom title is what it is for a reason. I have a deep and abiding love for everything metallic. Frankly, I not only see nothing wrong with my playing style, but consider that it's no ones business but mine if I want to have a gazillion coppers. And silvers. And golds. And... a lot of others. I don't just collect caveborns, of course. And I do breed mine, but don't just dump them to the ap. Mostly my bred ones are traded or gifted away, but I am building certain lineages too with them.

So, that really is my opinion of hoarding. Moar Powah to teh Hoarders! smile.gif I like it just fine.

I've never understood why TJ says there's no hoarding on DC, honestly. Hoarding is a lot like collecting in definition, and if you choose to stockpile a massive amount of a particular dragon and call it a hoard then there you go.

I don't see anything wrong with it and I don't use the term with offense. I happily use "hoard" to refer to my collection of Sweetlings and normal dragons descended from Sweetlings. It's a game and people can do what they want with their dragons: which also means that I don't care if people don't name their dragons or breed for other people. I fail to see what all the fuss is and it's extremely immature annoying when people say "Hoarders need to stop taking all the new eggs! If you have more than 2 it's unfair!"

Actually, I think TJ's oft quoted comment was in response to some people complaining because someone had a ton of rares (and they didn't) so it was unfair. In essence he was saying that as long as the code doesn't enforce a limit there's nothing wrong with collecting as many of a breed as you can manage to acquire, including the rarest of rares. If you want them, and can get them, you shouldn't feel guilty about having them. There's nothing unfair about it because the game is set up to grab (or breed) what you can and do whatever you want with it once it's yours.

That does make more sense; thanks for the background Fiona. I suppose I generally just hear people using it in the strict context of "hoarding is inexistent".

I don't believe in hoarding. That is, I don't believe that any form of collecting in DC 'counts' as hoarding. It implies that the person 'hoarding' the dragons is being greedy and refusing to allow other players to get that dragon to the point of being mean, and that's just not possible in the game. We all have a limited amount of eggslots and total slots and once they are filled it is simply impossible to get more dragons until some things grow up or are frozen. Even the max number of eggs, seven, isn't very much when you consider how many eggs drop. And when there's more than one breed dropping during a release, which happens almost all the time, most people only end up getting three or four of each dragon. It is simply not possible to 'hoard' a new dragon under those circumstances. Not being able to catch a new release dragon within an hour or two of the release does not mean that other people are hoarding dragons! I see these accusations all the time in new release threads and it really bothers me. The complaints are usually accompanied with a suggestion for breed-limits on non-holiday dragons which is totally unfair and wrong.

edit: also people are free to name their dragons or not. I name all my dragons, but not everyone does and that's fine. I don't name anything in Magistream at all. Different goals mean different playstyles and there's nothing wrong with not naming a creature.

Edited by platedlizard