kollabee101

Growing Gardens

This is just a few of my sugestions

Garden-it would be cool if you could have a garden

How you would get them is you have to go to a nursery or somthing(this would be a lot like capturing a dragon exept they are seeds)then you would plant them

And there would be things like trees were after you pick them they won't leave unlike other plants in the garden

And you could choose to feed the fruit to a dragon or to sell it or cut it in half,and when you choose to cut it you have a chance to get more seeds of that kind

Dragon feeding-this goes with the garden,you can feed your dragon to get somthing like fertalizer which can be used on the garden,or if its a rare dragon thell give you a scale or a treasure or something

Gardening seems like an odd thing to add to a game about raising dragons. I think some of the other suggestions about finding items or magical scrolls or being able to create hoards for your dragon would work better.

(Or maybe just the return of the flower raising event, with some tweaks, as a side-event next V-Day because let's be honest that was awesome <3)

Please no. One of the nicest things about this game is all the extra stuff you DON'T have to do !

Well the plant and feeding thing you won't HAVE to do,its sort of a little thing for people who like to garden,and who want stuff to sell or they can be like prizes or something

Please no. One of the nicest things about this game is all the extra stuff you DON'T have to do !

I agree completely.

Remember, don't double post. The edit button is your friend.

That aside, I suppose this could be interesting. A neutral kind of interesting, I mean. I don't an opinion to be swayed because this hasn't been suggested for long, but if it grows enough I'll come back and crit some. (however I would very much dislike selling fruit, as even TJ has shot down in-game currency)

Nah, I don't think so. I like the events to stay as just that - events. Special holiday events.

Some kind of BSA that allows you to collect dragon scales or gems would be neat, though I couldn't think of a purpose for them except for some extra fun thing to do. Nothing like in-game currency. Maybe just a place where you keep all of your collected gems/scales. Haha!

To me it's a matter of how well it fits the game. Would being able to raise virtual cats be cool? What about being able to upload photos? Play pong? All those things are well and good by themselves, but you have to ask: is there really a point in adding them to DC?

I suppose with gardens you could make a stretch that it has to do with raising magical herbs or something, but then why not be able to brew potions? Have spell battles? Go on adventures with our dragons? And on and on.

Overall I just think this (and the above examples) would detract from the main, simplistic nature of the game. I think items could be added, but I'd rather see them done in a simple way that's really tied in to the game at large. A semi-independent garden is better for a holiday event, like with the flowers this year, not a permanent thing.

Remember, don't double post. The edit button is your friend.

Please leave the modding to the mods. Double posting is fine as long as it doesn't get spammy. If you are not quoting separate posts and just adding something to a previous post, yes, it's probably better to edit rather than quote, but it's not the worst thing in the world. :3

~

Even optional, I just don't think this really fits in with DC. Are there dragons who are only carnivorous? Why should a dragon give up something as precious as a golden scale because you gave them some food they were finding elsewhere before?

It just seems like a pretty intensive side-game. I think simpler side-games/options fit better with DC because they leave the original game as the original game. I think something like full time growing a garden would compete more with dragon raising rather than accentuating it. oeo

EDIT: lol, adp ninja'd me on the exact point I wanted to make.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

This is just a few of my sugestions

Garden-it would be cool if you could have a garden

How you would get them is you have to go to a nursery or somthing(this would be a lot like capturing a dragon exept they are seeds)then you would plant them

And there would be things like trees were after you pick them they won't leave unlike other plants in the garden

And you could choose to feed the fruit to a dragon or to sell it or cut it in half,and when you choose to cut it you have a chance to get more seeds of that kind

Dragon feeding-this goes with the garden,you can feed your dragon to get somthing like fertalizer which can be used on the garden,or if its a rare dragon thell give you a scale or a treasure or something

Aside from everything that was said, I mean what real effect would fedding them things have? what if it can be abused? we don't want the game to be too easy.What point would there be in collecting food or items? it seems rather pointless and just really doesnt seem to fit the overall theme of the game. The why, how, what for, what will it do, how will it affect the game, among other things would have to be answered and this just seems like one of those things that on its own may seem nice, but as part of DC just doesnt quite fit.

I've always seen the holiday side-games as just that: side games, that don't always fit with the overall DC theme (decorating wreaths and gingerbread houses?), but they are fun and cute and *just temporary*.

I would NOT like a permanent addition to the cave that doesn't fit with the overall-dragon theme. Other suggestions, like sending out your dragon to collect trinkets, that actually works with the DC theme; randomly deciding to start a garden while you raise your dragons? Not so much.

you won't HAVE to do

I'm tired of seeing this over and over again when people suggest things that are useless in every way except impacting the efficiency and/or complexity of raising dragons.

Of course, no one HAVE to use the garden, or any of those useless junk I've mentioned. We also don't absolutely have to incubate, raise dragons at maximum efficiency (e.g. making sure an egg hatches as soon as possible and go 7/7 eggs at all time), or raise any dragons at all. It is stupidly easy to say that, and yet it carries little meaning.

Stop complicating things, DC is tolerable/attractive to me and many others exactly because the main game mechanics are easy to go with. Do not force people to perform tedious and otherwise-useless tasks over and over again just to have the highest possible efficiency at raising dragons.

Edited by CNR4806

I'm tired of seeing this over and over again when people suggest things that are useless in every way except impacting the efficiency and/or complexity of raising dragons.

Of course, no one HAVE to use the garden, or any of those useless junk I've mentioned. We also don't absolutely have to incubate, raise dragons at maximum efficiency (e.g. making sure an egg hatches as soon as possible and go 7/7 eggs at all time), or raise any dragons at all. It is stupidly easy to say that, and yet it carries little meaning.

Stop complicating things, DC is tolerable/attractive to me and many others exactly because the main game mechanics are easy to go with. Do not force people to perform tedious and otherwise-useless tasks over and over again just to have the highest possible efficiency at raising dragons.

I understand your POV, but this is a tad harsh on the OP. They aren't forcing anybody to do anything - from what I can tell this really doesn't affect your gameplay whatsoever (unlike incubate and influence, for instance). o.o

no thank you.

there's already a flowergame out there, so if you want to play with flowers, you can go there, i don't feel it would add much atraction to a DRAGON Cave. smile.gif

I have always liked the idea of a randomly generated xyz dragon found abc item. I think if/when TJ converts to badge books, that kinda thing would make more sense because there would be an easier way to store or show off such items.

A lot of dragons on the Completed dragons list are very much focused on flowers and gardening (go look at the huge section on garden pygmies and ... well there a bunches of flower dragons and Arsani already exist...). It would probably make sense for dragons like that to bring back things like herbs, flowers, fruits, whatever. I wouldn't want any special perks except maybe the possibility to collect, display and/or gift them to other people. But thats as far as I'd want to go. I think with all the releases and other events going on, that would be a little too distracting from the game. If you are bored with game play and want some ideas of possible player driven things you can do, I will gladly brainstorm some for you.

I loved the flower event and growing and sending stuff to people. It was so very nice and I will treasure it always. And yes, I'd always love to be able to find and send flowers maybe on special occasions, but not as an ongoing all the time game thing. Then it doesn't make it special anymore.

But I think the collecting, displaying and possibly ability to gift some of your treasures might be a nice thing down the road and I'd love different dragons able to find different things. A treasure's a treasure a treasure. And if its off in a book to the side or other special place those who want or care to look at it can, those who don't won't be bothered with extra icons causing visual chaos.

Edited by natayah

Dragons (especially flower/nature-based dragons) going out and bringing back some flowers/seeds fits perfectly with the collecting/treasure suggestions we already have. And it fits just fine with the game. The OP, however, doesn't.

This pretty much shows my feelings completely.

I wouldn't mind if a tweaked version was a holiday event, but please not permanent.

My understanding of the OP is that this wouldn't affect existing game mechanics in the slightest and that people could opt out of these things without affecting *anything* for themselves related to raising dragons.

My understanding of the OP is that this wouldn't affect existing game mechanics in the slightest and that people could opt out of these things without affecting *anything* for themselves related to raising dragons.

Yes, but the same could be said of adding a kitten cave to the game, or solitaire, or a photo uploading service. It might not impact the main game, but does that really mean it should be here?

Aside from giving them to dragons to gain trinkets (which I believe is better covered by the hoarding suggestion) this sounds like it would be adding a separate flower cave to dragon cave, which takes all that much time away from the main point of DC--even if users can choose to completely ignore it, it's still going to take artists and coders away from the main game to work on it.

Basically while it's not a bad suggestion, I feel it really has nothing to do with DC and thus makes no sense to add.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I'm not trying to say anything about the relevance of it or if I think it should or shouldn't get added. I just don't understand why it seems like there is always this huge knee-jerk reaction to any any extra stuff getting added, to the extent that people will approach a suggestion that won't affect the existing gameplay at all by complaining that they don't want extra stuff they "have to" do. If an extra game affects the existing gameplay, then I totally understand why people would feel they'd have to do it (in order to optimize their play), but that's not happening here. I really wish people would judge it on merits like relevance, as in your post, rather than reacting based on things like preconceived notions.

Imo, the knee-jerk reaction is because this is DRAGONCAVE, and we really really like *DragonCave*. We like the new releases, and the holidays, the special events, etc. And something as large as a new-but-seperate "flower cave" would take away *time*, both spriter-time and coding-time, would possibly make the cave run slower overall.... It's a nice idea, it's just not a DragonCave idea.

I can definitely understand that. But someone who is newer to the forums might not be able to match up some of the stuff that was said to the context in which the ideas come about. It may be more help to them to read a reply like yours than the more reactive ones that seem to base objections on something that they didn't even say.

And now I'm veering a bit off topic so no more from me. :)

I'm not trying to say anything about the relevance of it or if I think it should or shouldn't get added. I just don't understand why it seems like there is always this huge knee-jerk reaction to any any extra stuff getting added, to the extent that people will approach a suggestion that won't affect the existing gameplay at all by complaining that they don't want extra stuff they "have to" do. If an extra game affects the existing gameplay, then I totally understand why people would feel they'd have to do it (in order to optimize their play), but that's not happening here. I really wish people would judge it on merits like relevance, as in your post, rather than reacting based on things like preconceived notions.

Well also it is seen as a 'have to do' because it can be used directly with the cave even if it does not impact the cave directly. Its simply an annoying feature that does not fall anywhere in the DC RP storyline or anything but still requires some interaction with the cave and really thats what puts off many of the nay sayers here.