lycrawaterz14

Sweet_waterz

"We'll try to lure her out with food and I'll distract her." Ito shrugged. "Caleb, you and Valen will try to go deeper into the catacombs, and find that birth cloth. Honestly, I have no idea what that will look like."

Caleb pondered this as he finished up his large meal. He wasn't even fat, so it was a wonder where all of the food went. "Alright. It has to be gold right? Or maybe the Golden Fleece is something different. I'm sure we'll find it."

"I think the Golden Fleece was just an allusion. Hopefully." Ito just shrugged. "A lot of people want the Golden Fleece. Plus... I don't think the demigods would be too happy about you borrowing it."

Imagining the wrath of gods on him, Caleb swallowed. "Yes, you're probably right," he agreed with a nervous chuckle. "We'll just snag every rag we find. Right Valen?"

Valen was clearly quite engrossed in determining which one of her bacon strips had optimum bounciness. "Valen." Ito scolded. She jerked back into paying attention. "Hmmm...?"

Oh boy. This was going to be a long quest, wasn't it? "I asked what you thought about the birth cloth," he said politely. Caleb was rarely angry so right about now he didn't mind.

Valen looked shy. "I dunno... Wouldn't it make more sense in determining who even was born in the thing before we go get it? Why does this cloth matter to you so much..."

Caleb's brows knit together. "Um.. I thought the half and half king was born in it. Didn't we establish that already? And besides, we need it because the quest mentions it," he answered.

"No... It says 'The child has long past and not made to stay/is the child who made a machine and flown away/his abandoned birth cloth is what you seek/and the life and death king is who will reap." Valen stick her tongue out. "It belongs to that kid. The life and death king is who we give it to... Doesn't that mean... You're helping him? Does that make you bad?"

Now it was Caleb's turn to be embarrassed. "Um.. I don't know. Could it? Surely not. Why would we get an evil quest? I mean, all quests are supposed to be good, right?" He had started to chew on a napkin in his agitation.

"I don't know..." Valen shrugged. Ito just sighed. "I have no idea. There have been a few... questionable ones, but none that were outright bad."

"Then maybe theresh a deepur meaning," Caleb said around the napkin in his mouth, chewing and swallowing. "It's not like we can just give up now anyway."

"This is true." Ito agreed. He twisted his head at Caleb. "As soon as you're ready let me know. I'm going to go gather Elena. She's probably trying on the traditional dresses again... she does love clothes and anything old." He shrugged.

Caleb nodded and forced himself to look calm. "Okay, thanks sir," he replied, then turned to Valen with a slightly lost look. "What do you think we need to take with us?"

"Nothing much... you have your pipes right? I should bring something... but I don't want to." Valen scooted up closer to him so she could pester Caleb much more easily.

Caleb automatically patted the small bag at his side where his pipes always were. "Yup. I think a warrior would bring a weapon, but I can't hurt anyone," he said with a frown, not really acknowledging her closeness.

"Same. I don't think I would be able to hurt anyone while I was still in this form... I'm so tiny..." She admired herself.

"You have another form?" Caleb asked, curious now. He never knew that about her. "Not that I want you to be violent but I never knew," he added hastily.

She took a sip of orange juice. "Yea." Valen nodded. "It's bigger and pointier. And it's kinda scary. I don't like it."

Caleb considered this for a moment before nodding. "I understand, and if its scary I don't really want to see it either," he agreed.

"I'm sorry. I hate that form." She looked upset again. "Is that it for you...? Is that your only form?"

"This?" Caleb looked down at his bare torso and furry legs, then back up at her. "Yup: I mean, I may get fat some day but other than that I'll always look like this. Oh, and my horns will grow longer."

She just chuckled. "I think that's what happens to everyone. My horns eventually will come out... I'm too little for them right now..." She felt around her head to try to find the little topknots on her head. "I like your form though."

Caleb smiled, puffing out his chest in an attempt to look regal. "Thank you. I might be one of the most boring creatures on earth but I like to think for a satyr I don't look too bad," he replied.

"I don't think you're boring. She smiled and laid her head on his chest. "I think you're just fine." Valen contentedly swung her feet against the ground.

Ito burst back in, dragging in an oddly dressed Elena and a rustled cloak. "I finally got her. Whenever you are ready Caleb."