MendezLightning

The Zauberstein Academy of Sorcery

The lake was an absolutely gorgeous view, especially with the morning sun raising over it. There were still dragonflies hovering above the edge of the lake, near the reeds. About ten feet was a large oak tree, on the edge of a small cliff-face. Mason thought he had found the perfect fishing spot. It was such a shame that he would be leaving the school shortly, he would have loved to spend hours just fishing here. It was roughly 6:30 am, and he needed to be back at 7:30 for the departure to Dormyelek. Still, it was a nice interlude to what would probably be an exciting day. Casting his line into the lake, he sighed in content and let the morning light enter his body.

--------------------------------------------

"I've never been on a train before, this'll be exciting!" Mason said with bright eyes and a cheery smile. He had his dufflebag filled with some clothing, two books and his fishing rod. He had arrived at the atrium just as everyone had gotten in. He kept to himself however, lest he give more reason to have Elias call him a puppy.

"What's Dormyelek like?" He asked to the group, just wondering what mysteries were there for him to discover.

Edited by Lore_Master

Rose looked up from her seat that she had already situated herself in after stealing some other cushions. Glancing towards Mason she then chuckled, " You'll find it boring after a while with nothing to do but stare out the window at the grass or the cattle." Moving her hand to her bag she brought out an apple and moved her knife as she began to peel the apple.

Hearing the question she shrugged her shoulders lightly, " All depends on when you go. During the summer months it is a beautiful place with the harvests starting to bloom. During these colder months it can be quite dreary." Tilting her head in thought as she brought the peel to her lips she chewed it slowly and swallowed. " Think of the old story Sleepy Hollow for reference."

'Yeah, Dormyelek is kind of ... rough terrain ... In the height of summer, it's pretty nice, if you go to the right part, but year-round the slums are terrible ... The population is a huge dichotomy: the rich are freaking rich, but the poor can't afford to eat for a week. There are whole towns made of sticks and old sheet metal the rich didn't want ... It's really depressing,' Elias answered, as they headed toward the train station. 'I did some of my charity work there once, but, if I remember correctly, the horrible conditions caused demons to appear. Specifically virus and pest-type demons.'

Reaching the little station, he spotted a small family, one of them being an old student, with his arm bandaged up. He must have failed the demon-test, and it looked like the family wasn't happy about the test taking place at all. A large, emerald green steam engine soon erupted into the tiny station, and Elias hopped aboard.

"I found my first train ride quite enjoyable." Inanna informed Mason as he appeared. "I wouldn't be so sure about this one, be we can see how it turns out." She licked the bottom of her lip, hugging her book to her big chest. She agreed with Rose about trains being boring. However her expectations for this trip wasn't to high, Ciela could make looking at cow dung fun. Or annoying. It depended on Inanna's mood actually. She really didn't plan to do anything much on the train but read. These people weren't the most fun to talk to. To bad her sister wasn't here. Or was that a good thing?

"I've never been to Dormyelek, though I am pretty pissed at being thrown out like that." Inanna informed no one in particular as she stepped gracefully on the train, following behind lightning boy.

Edited by mipuppy1

"Oh hey Inanna." Mason said with a small smile, still a bit on edge from yesterday. He didn't know if Inanna was still miffed with her, it was actually rather hard to tell with her. From what he could tell, it should be a rather beautiful place this time of how. Elias with his usual view further explained that the poor were segregated into shanty towns. Back home in Manitka, it was more or less a frontier. Still, he a bit bad for them. Putting up an effort to smile, he hopped onto the train, behind Inanna.

"Look on the bright side, I bet the people there will be happy that they won't have to fear the demons, even if its just for a little while." He added, grinning.

Edited by Lore_Master

Rose just shook her head as she moved on after Mason before going to sit down quickly. She then looked back to him before speaking, " Your one of those silver lining type of people aren't you?" Sliding her shoes off she then curled them under her as she grabbed a pillow out of her bag and set it against the window.

"I try..." thought Mason as he placed his dufflebag on one of the seats. He knew that no matter how much he wanted it, the world wasn't going to be as black and white as he wanted it to be. Nor would it be a perfect place. He still was going to give it his best shot and keep at it, one day at a time. Maybe someday, the world will become a slightly better place.

"Is it really odd for me to be like that?" He asked, before flashing a small smile to Rose. He quickly sat down and pulled out one of the books from the dufflebag, something he took from the library. From what he understood, it was an old history book regarding old civilizations. Maybe there were lessons to learn, mistakes to avoid repeating.

Rose just shook her head lightly as she made herself comfortable in her seat. Leaning back she closed her eyes as she sat there before speaking, " It is somewhat odd Mason seeing as most by this point those with our curses are hardened to this life." Pulling out a blanket from her bag she covered herself with it before settling against the pillow. " You'll find a bit of the town we're going in towards the middle of the book your reading. Though it will say settlement instead of town."

Hotaru stepped onto the train. He was excited to be going to a new place. He had no doubts he would enjoy ths experience of seeing fhe country from the ground rather than thw sky. And another guy was azking all the questions. Meaning he didn't have to. But he did want to start a conversation...

"I've seen that Dorydiak place feom the air. Certain parts stink really badly. I don't really like it." He said.

"I guess I'm just one of the lucky few." Mason said as he looked out the window. The more he thought about it, the more he realized he was lucky to have his outlook. Manitka was across the ocean, far from the politics of the other countries. Not to mention that he had a supportive family... all this thinking made him feel a bit homesick. Looking away from the window, he heard Rose say that the town was in the book, or rather settlement. He was about to flip through the book when the new kid had seen the town from the air.

"From like a Zeppelin?" He asked with some confusion, not realizing he wasn't human.

Elias didn't stay seated for very long. He found himself wandering around the train car, looking at the others. They were all empty. The five cars behind them were completely devoid of people, and were caked in dust and webs. 'Weird ...' he mumbled, before returning and sitting on a seat in front of Mason. 'No, Hotaru seems like the type to fly on his own ...' Elias commented, looking the phoenix up and down.

"Those silly contraptions that blunder around the sky like an inflated elephant?" He asked. "No. I flew myself."

He then realized they might not take to kindly to non humans, maybe even worse to Phoenix. He really couldn't be sure. He glanced over at the blonde guy who had said he'd flown on his own, nodding.

"Well, you know my name. But I don't know yours." He said, smiling.

((Edited. Ninja'd))

Edited by chicbecause

Rose just nodded her head to Mason as she closed her eyes wanting to catch a few Zzzzs. However she then opened her eyes before giving a small chuckle, " Mason you have to remember that we're not the only beings here. There are some that can fly because of their own merit." Opening her eyes she then looked over to Hotaru, " My name is Rose."

Nodding in reply, the blonde said his name with a smile, 'Elias. And you're not the only non-human here, y'know. Inanna's something ...' he turned to her inquisitively. 'Sylph? Angelide? Vampire?'

"Succubus." Inanna lied with a deadpan voice. She didn't even look up, instead she seemed engrossed in her book, despite the fact that half of the book rested on a crossed knee attached to a slender and very long leg (had that skirt always been so short?) The other half of the book was hanging down, tip touching the seat. Some might have questioned if she had spoken at all if they didn't see her mouth move.

"So please don't talk to me, I'm trying to read."

Edited by mipuppy1

Elias was silence as he turned away from her, before mumbling, 'Rude ...' He then leaned against the seat in front of him to speak to the new recruit. 'So what are you, bud?' He could feel his hair start to flutter up and down as static electricity filled his body. His magic was bored again ...

Hokaru scoffed. "No you aren't." He said, directed to the nymth. "You're an Air Nymth, aren't you? I've met enough to recognize one when I see one."

He turned back to the others. "I'm a Phoenix." he said adjusting his red robe he wore over his uniform to a more comfortable position.

Inanna's eyes widen at that, then she threw back her head and laughed her golden hair bobbing up and down in a mesmerizing way.

"Mr. Phoenix here is right." She continued to laugh as if it were the most funny thing in the world, wiping away a tear from her eye.

"Believe or not, he's the first one who's called my bluff. I look plain, maybe even ugly next to a succubi." Her eyes grew misty but she let out a chuckle as another tear escaped.

"One was a close friend of... my mother. She was like an aunt to me. You could see drool pool out of my dad's mouth as he watched her." A playful smile played on her lips, but she refused to blink.

"I have something in my eye. Excuse me for a moment." She quickly got up and rushed out of the cart.

Mason didn't really understand what the point of this conversation was. Either it was because discussing non-humans bored him, or maybe it was because he was about ready to fall asleep. The humming of the engine was almost soothing for him. Manitka had quite a lot of non-humans, mostly refugees or people looking for a better life. From the old stories his Grandpa used to tell, they were part of the formal. He never really went into detail about why they had to leave...

He rubbed his eyes just as Inanna ran out the cart. He looked around before turning his head to Hokaru.

"Hey, did something happen with Inanna?" He asked before yawning. He then looked at the door she had ran through

"S-should we go after her?" He added, with a worried tone.

Edited by Lore_Master

'I dunno ...' Elias shrugged and nestled down into the seat. 'She's probably fine, either way, I'm getting some sleep ...' and with that, he drifted off with ease.

((TIME SKIP TO DORMYELEK

It's 15:00 and we're in the middle of a slum))

Elias woke as the train jerked to a stop. Looking out of the window, he knew what he was going to see: a slum. Shanty towns surrounded the castle to his left, the high walls barring any form of peasant from entering. But the castle wasn't where the job was. Grabbing his rapier, he got up. 'Okay!' he called to everyone. 'Time to kill some demons.'

He hopped off the train onto a tiny platform with no shelter over it and the smell hit him like a wall: feces and urine and disease. 'Oh god ...'

The ride to Dormyelek was pleasant enough, even though Mason spent half the ride asleep. It was around the time they passed the castle that he had woken up. When the train came to a stop, he silently grab his duffel bag and left the train. When Elias commented on the horrible smell, he merely just looked around before turning back to Elias.

"Just breath through your mouth and you'll be fine." Mason said as he took a few steps, trying to get a feel for the place. This was not going to be a good assignment, he could already tell.

"Well then, I say we got our work cut out for ourselves." He added with a small smile.

Once the train stopped Rose woke up and put her things into her bag. Pulling out a small canister she wiped the cream under her nose to disperse the smell. Going outside she then held it out towards Elias, " It will block the smell if only somewhat." Looking around them she sighed before speaking, " Yes we are going to be very busy." She then looked around before shuddering as she saw some of the rats that were scurrying around.

The train ride went as expected. Hotaru stepped out of the train, frowning. It smelled terrible. Even worse than from the air.

"The sooner we get this job over with the better. Where are these ghosts supposed to be, exactly?" He said

"Wait, I thought we were hunting demons? Don't tell me they need us to bust some ghosts as well?" Mason asked before chuckling, turning back to the the shanty town. They again were using their noses to breath, when breathing with their mouths was a much simpler and easier idea. It was what his father taught him back him, sawdust up the nose was not a pleasant experience.

"Anyway, we do you think we should start looking." Mason asked, hoping Elais didn't get the brilliant idea of splitting everyone up.

Rose looked up before shrugging, " Elias got the full details on what we are here for. It could be demons, it could be ghosts, or it could just be those giangtor rats over there." Shaking her head once more she then looked to the others before looking around them to get a feel for what was going on.