igloo9201

Volunteering and Internships

Just curious. Volunteering is a nice way for good organizationsto have people work for (usually) no money. Depending on what you want to have as a carreer, volunteering/being an intern can help you!

Like, for example, I'm sure everyone who's said two words to me knows I love animals (most people find it quite annoying and absolutely despise me for it ^-^), and my dream is to train orcas at SeaWorld, Orlando Florida. I'm extreamely lucky and have managed to have a zookeeper who I know personally. She thinks I'm the coolest thing since sliced bread, it's hilarious. I've also talked to several trainers and a vet whk was an intern at SeaWorld. Everyone says to volunteer without getting paid. This shows that you care about the animals, and not money.

So, I was curious to know where some people have volunteered, do volunteer, or want to volunteer, as well as any Internships anyone's had, in, or want. There are a ton of places to volunteer, wether you like animals or other people!

I have volunteered at Wolf Park. This January the application process starts for an intensive volunteer program at a small zoo where I live. I don't get paid, my parents actually have to pay them. I just got done going to the Dolphin Trainer 101 camp at the Indianapolis Zoo, and while I was there, I learned that they have a dolphin training internship. I would absolutely love to do that, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to yet.

My children's schools - a lot; I practically ran the library at one.

Save the Children shops.

Nothing stunningly exciting - but useful and worthwhile smile.gif

Cool. Do you like kids a lot?

Well - I am a granny biggrin.gif

But yes. And more to the point - they are our future. They have done nothing to get this world into the mess it is in; we adults did that - and they will have to clear it all up or die. They deserve everything we can give them.

That's a good point. I, personally, am 100% not mothering material, and kids aren't my thing. I do like kids sometimes, but generally they annoy me. One time I cinsidered babysitting, but....that would not have worked. It's nuce to see other peop,e caring about kids, though. It's a good thing to do.

Every saturday I go and volunteer at the near by no-kill shelter. I'll be there for a few hours spending time with the cats and helping to socialize them. I also like to spend time with the dogs and soon I'll be able to walk them now that the weather is getting cooler. I also help feed the cats if I'm there at 4.

I used to help out at the local church library, usually one afternoon during the week and Sunday mornings.

I moved away though, so I had to give that up.

At the moment I'm not volunteering anywhere, I have to do internships in preparation for my job, so that eats up pretty much all my holidays. It's fun though and assures me I have picked the right job wink.gif

Both of those are awesome!

I would like to volunteer at an animal shelter, but the people there said it might not be a good idea since I have pets. They said I might spread germs to either my pets or the shelter animals. sad.gif

Aaah, the shelter I volunteer at has some rather strict rules when it comes to preventing the spread of germs. Before and after going into each room you need to use hand sanitizer which is mounted on the wall, and volunteers are told they should have a pair of shoes designated for the shelter only and should be kept outside or away from your pets. Also you need to change your clothes as soon as you get home or before you handle your own animals. My cats don't really like how my clothes smell when I return but once I change they are ready to snuggle.

The shelter has so many loveable and affectionate cats, ones that love to be petted, some that love to be held, and a few that love to perch on your shoulder. And the less social ones tend to stay out of reach on the cat walks that are in each room. They stretch from one wall to the other and are multiple levels. It's really neat I should take a picture some time.

That sounds awesome! Yeah, I go to camp at the zoo I'm (hopefully) volunteering at, and we pet all kinds of exotic animals. We have to sanitize every time we touch one it's soooo cool!

Oh wow that does sound really cool! I would love to be able to help out at a zoo, I'm more partial to the big cats and canines. Especially foxes, I adore foxes so much!

They don't have big cats, but they have a fennec fox! And at Wolf Park, we volunteers were allowed to go in with the red foxes and feed them mice. I also got to pet and get my face licked, shoe chewed on, and lap layed in by wolf pups. biggrin.gif But, sadly, they ended the program. I'm still sad.

Aww man I would have loved to do that kind of stuff! I wonder why they ended the program, maybe someone got hurt or one of the animals got sick?

For about 3 years, before I came to college, I volunteered at a local nonprofit equine rescue. There were about 50 horses and donkeys that were mostly rescued from abuse/neglect or were brought to us by people who couldn't afford to keep them anymore. We also gave riding lessons, especially for kids who had been abused as well. Helping out there was wonderful: I'm a big horse lover but not so much a people person, yet it was nice being able to help the kids and seeing how horses who had been through hell could find a new life and help these children. smile.gif

Now that I'm in college, I found another equine place where I currently live. It's not a rescue, but it focuses on therapeutic riding for mentally and physically disabled children and adults. I help with lessons and also school the horses to keep them in good shape. Although I miss the rescue part, it's still nice.

Edited by Dimar

Right now I am volunteering at a therapeutic riding center for kids with disabilities. Essentially the kids ride horses as part of their therapy, I am one of the leaders, in that I lead the horses around.

Right now I am volunteering at a therapeutic riding center for kids with disabilities. Essentially the kids ride horses as part of their therapy, I am one of the leaders, in that I lead the horses around.

I do that too smile.gif

I also volunteer at a historical site and a local animal shelter.

I'm currently volunteering as a bell ringer for the Salvation Army. One of my senior level classes (college/University) requires 16 credit hours of community service, and it just so happened the Salvation Army fit really well. They offer a lot of opportunities at locations near my home, and enough shifts for me to have all 16 hours by the 27th (when all of the hours, proof of them and a report, is due in my class). I've done 12 hours already, and have 4 to go on Monday. The sound of the bell is the only thing that drives me mad.

I've volunteered at Gleaners, and 2 local organizations I'd rather not mention (only because they're specific to where I live).

I'm glad volunteer work helps people, but I hate doing it. I've done it before without it being required for something mind you. I just hate it, because I'm not a people person, and usually the tasks are very boring.

Edited by Wahya

Two semesters in college I volunteered at a local high school for about 4 hours a week and I really loved it. Wasn't allowed to interact with the kids, but I observed the teacher (who was super awesome) and graded papers and put them in the computer. She said I was one of the most reliable volunteers she'd seen and was really helpful. Even if it was busy work I really miss it.

When I was in high school we had a project where either you had to do a bunch of research and and a lot of presentations about volunteer work, or actually do volunteer work. I chose to actually do the volunteer work and ended up at the local really small film theatre, where every wednesday night they show a foreign or in any other way non-mainstream film. Everyone there was a volunteer and it was a lot of fun being in the projector room, taking apart the film rolls and of course watching the films, haha. It was perfect for me because the human interaction was minimal.

The project was supposed to last only a month or so, but I ended up staying at least half a year smile.gif

I'm currently volunteering as a bell ringer for the Salvation Army. One of my senior level classes (college/University) requires 16 credit hours of community service, and it just so happened the Salvation Army fit really well. They offer a lot of opportunities at locations near my home, and enough shifts for me to have all 16 hours by the 27th (when all of the hours, proof of them and a report, is due in my class). I've done 12 hours already, and have 4 to go on Monday. The sound of the bell is the only thing that drives me mad.

I've volunteered at Gleaners, and 2 local organizations I'd rather not mention (only because they're specific to where I live).

I'm glad volunteer work helps people, but I hate doing it. I've done it before without it being required for something mind you. I just hate it, because I'm not a people person, and usually the tasks are very boring.

It's a pity that I don't like where the Salvation Army's money goes to, since I always thought those bell ringers were so iconic.

I did a voluntary year of social service at a home for mentally disabled adults.

Lots of people told me "I wouldn't have dared to do that, I wouldn't know what to expect", which is rather sad. There is no reason why a group of people who are part of our society are almost invisible. (Although I do understand the hesitation to do something for a long period of time without knowing what to expect. It was easier for me as I'd volunteered at a different home and a school before.)

I couldn't do it as a full-time job for the rest of my life, it's quite demanding and one of the worst things is seeing all the problems that would have such simple solutions but there's never enough money. But I can really recommend it, it's fascinating to get to know people who are so different and yet, if you look closely, kinda just like everyone else.

It's a pity that I don't like where the Salvation Army's money goes to, since I always thought those bell ringers were so iconic.

Well I don't agree with some of their political views to be sure. I was volunteering with a specific group with in the Salvation Army though (a specific local church), so I hope they feed and clothe people more so than the general organization probably does.

A few people stopped and told me stories of how the Salvation Army helped them or family members (one gentleman mentioned his father being helped by them during the Depression) so they did help people in the past at least. IDK what their current status is, but I have to write a short report on them, so I'm sure I'll learn shortly.

I used to volunteer with a Petsmart Charity [forgot its exact name] for two years. I used to take care of the cats up for adoption, such as feeding them, watering them, cleaning their cages, making sure they're healthy, cleaning the area around their cages, and playing with them.

I have seen so many good for nothing people trying to adopt cats. sleep.gif Once there was a guy that literally came up to us, asking for a cat and actually willing to pay the 250 dollar adoption fee.

When asked why he wanted the cat, he said that he wanted to eat it.

Let's just say that I almost attacked that said person. We kicked him out of the store of course.

I did that for awhile.

I also have volunteered for five years working on an enormous Christmas production in my hometown. It's a five course medieval feast with singing, dancing, and extravagant costumes. It takes over 70 volunteers and over 200 staff members to put the event on. That was so much fun.

As for internships, I just finished one for a publishing company. I edited a book on relationships, and my name will be on the novel smile.gif

Well I don't agree with some of their political views to be sure. I was volunteering with a specific group with in the Salvation Army though (a specific local church), so I hope they feed and clothe people more so than the general organization probably does.

A few people stopped and told me stories of how the Salvation Army helped them or family members (one gentleman mentioned his father being helped by them during the Depression) so they did help people in the past at least. IDK what their current status is, but I have to write a short report on them, so I'm sure I'll learn shortly.

It's not so much "they don't help people" it's more that they're not very friendly towards people who are GSRM (gender/sexual/romantic minority, aka a more inclusive label than LGBTQIA+), from what I understand. (And, from what I've heard, "not very friendly" is putting it rather mildly)

As for me, I've volunteered with a local children's museum for years. Or I did when I was younger, then again when I was older and needed some community service. Did some interning and job-shadowing with them, too.

Currently I'm interning at a library, something that started for a class and that I've continued to do long after school ended.

Edited by KageSora