igloo9201

Volunteering and Internships

I'm a volunteer first aid and have done about 3000hrs+ worth of work for the organisation over the last five years, mainly at the student nightclub/gig venue looking after those who need it. I also head up a local branch of a charity that teaches emergency life-saving skills to the community for free/donations where people are happy to do so. I hope, if I become a Registered Nurse, to not only continue doing the first aid (but as an RN) but also to one day spend a season on Mt Everest at their First Aid Centre.

It's not so much "they don't help people" it's more that they're not very friendly towards people who are GSRM (gender/sexual/romantic minority, aka a more inclusive label than LGBTQIA+), from what I understand. (And, from what I've heard, "not very friendly" is putting it rather mildly)

Unfortunately, that's pretty much the way all Christian-based programs/organizations run. There are VERY few that are open to everyone and even then, those places are generally shunned by others in the religion. The Salvation Army is a Christian based organization.

If I wasn't in a financial rut, I wouldn't mind volunteering. As is it, I don't have the time nor money to do so. I heard a while back, in my state, they were going to make Food Stamp holders do community service once a year to give back to the community. I always thought this was a good idea but the idea was shot down. Knowing how badly the system is abused (I work with Food Stamp users every day at my job and let me tell you, they don't need them), I would have liked to see that.

I'm volunteering at my public library. I just started. Its been fun doing that. I get to put back DVD movies back on the shelves and put some books back as well. I only go on Mondays for two hours doing that. Its not far where I live. I ride the trolley to and go back home.

It's not so much "they don't help people" it's more that they're not very friendly towards people who are GSRM (gender/sexual/romantic minority, aka a more inclusive label than LGBTQIA+), from what I understand.  (And, from what I've heard, "not very friendly" is putting it rather mildly)

Unfortunately, that's pretty much the way all Christian-based programs/organizations run. There are VERY few that are open to everyone and even then, those places are generally shunned by others in the religion. The Salvation Army is a Christian based organization.

If I wasn't in a financial rut, I wouldn't mind volunteering. As is it, I don't have the time nor money to do so. I heard a while back, in my state, they were going to make Food Stamp holders do community service once a year to give back to the community. I always thought this was a good idea but the idea was shot down. Knowing how badly the system is abused (I work with Food Stamp users every day at my job and let me tell you, they don't need them), I would have liked to see that.

Unfortunately, that is very true. And it's a shame, because that's not how the religion is supposed to be. But as with all things, humans manipulate even the purest of ideas into something that benefits their own personal agendas.

I hate calling myself Christian because of those that act in this fashion, but I am [Christian], so I usually get lumped into the rest of the group. I'm always quick to tell people (when asked about my beliefs) that I'm not a fundamentalist. I have to say one of the big things that bothered me when writing the report on them was how deeply they believe in things word for word, such as eternal suffering. I actually almost didn't volunteer with them based on their views of homosexuality, but I really needed to get the hours out of the way quickly, and they happened to be the best fit.

One thing I can say, I sort of stuck it to them in that sense by treating everyone, no who they were or who they were with, with absolute respect and cheer. So maybe in the end I sort of "won"? LOL

Edited by Wahya

I will say that Salvation Army is technically it's own religious denomination, which kind of surprised me when I learned of that. I feel like most people just think it's a Christian organization, not a whole religious group.

I was an intern in my local SPCA's marketing department. It was interesting to see an animal shelter from a business perspective. I've also volunteered for that shelter. I'd like to intern somewhere else again.

I will say that Salvation Army is technically it's own religious denomination, which kind of surprised me when I learned of that. I feel like most people just think it's a Christian organization, not a whole religious group.

I know. We were driving past the one at our house and the sign said "come worship on Sundays" which suprised me. I asked my mom what denomination they were and she kind of laughed a little and said "Who knows? I think they're their own thing. I think they're kind of non-denominational. But my mom hates SA now because she lost her ring and she thought it might have accidentaly gone into a SA bag we were loading up, so she called them but the guy said that the people who go through thstuff are basically drug addicts and alchaholics, so if t went there one of tjose gjys 100% stole it to pawn it off. I tried to reason with her, saying "Well, no one else is going to take them and they need jobs!" She just kept saying "Who would hire those kind of people when they're showing no signs of stopping?"

:/

I used to volunteer at the local aquarium which was, incidentally, the National Aquarium. It was really great - mostly I did birthday parties and supervised the holiday programs, but I did tours and talks occasionally too. My favourite part was probably helping with the animals, especially taking Bluey, an ancient blue-tongued skink, around the place. He would just sit on your hands or across your shoulder and try to eat your hair! rolleyes.gif Silly skink.

Getting to see behind the scenes was pretty cool too - especially when at the end of the year as a reward for volunteering, we got to swim with the sharks!

That's so cool, I'm so jelly, they have such amazing dolphins there! Diana Reiss- THE Diana Reiss- does research on dolphins there now, if I'm not mistaken. If I saw her, I thing I would faint from the awesomeness of her! 8)

Hi, im a bio major in college. anyone have any interesting internships ? Figured id revive this thread lolol

36 minutes ago, helvros said:

Hi, im a bio major in college. anyone have any interesting internships ? Figured id revive this thread lolol

Maybe, but that does depend on where in the world you are. DM me if you don't want to share. I can't promise anything, we may be on different continents after all. 

I worked at a botanical garden for a bit helping to document their herbarium collections.

6 hours ago, eeep said:

I worked at a botanical garden for a bit helping to document their herbarium collections.

Really?! That is so cool. I volunteered at an arboretum but I just fought the roses and did some general weeding.

May I ask, are you a botanist or otherwise trained in plants?

10 hours ago, Zonnedauw said:

Really?! That is so cool. I volunteered at an arboretum but I just fought the roses and did some general weeding.

May I ask, are you a botanist or otherwise trained in plants?

I had formal education in botany, believe it or not. But I am not in that field anymore professionally lol.

Edit: There are a lot of botanical gardens that do research, btw!! I'm sure some of them would be happy to share their experiences with interested folks.

Edited by eeep

I have been volunteering at a nearby animal shelter for several years, with over 130 volunteer hours in both 2022 and 2023. Always rewarding and usually a lot of fun.